Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Isn't it pathetic how much cap space we have, yet, there has been no indication we even bothered to reach out to the best UFA in the cap space era.

No because we need to re-sign the best player in the NHL, one of the best wingers in the NHL and Duchene.

All three of them will eat any cap space we have we could use.

Reactions: Cosmix

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
No because we need to re-sign the best player in the NHL, one of the best wingers in the NHL and Duchene.
Yet we have Toronto with one of hte best centers in the league, one of the best wingers in the league, reaching out.

Yet we have TBL with one of the best centers in the league, one of the best defenseman in the league, reaching out.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So it isn't pathetic that we haven't reached out, it's just pathetic that our management is aware how pathetic the club is looked at from UFAs.

Sounds like you indirectly agree with me that it is pathetic.
As long as Melnyk owns the team, this will be our reality.

Fans need to take action to encourage Melnyk to leave.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
So it isn't pathetic that we haven't reached out, it's just pathetic that our management is aware how pathetic the club is looked at from UFAs.

Sounds like you indirectly agree with me that it is pathetic.

Sens need to sign EK, Stone, Ceci and Duchene this summer and next. That's a lot of potential dollars to be earmarked.

Also, has it been reported that Ottawa didn't reach out? Maybe they did?

Also, being realistic isn't being pathetic. Sens aren't in a position to be an attractive destination for Tavares unless they offer $14m x 8yrs.

What's more pathetic? Offering a desperate contract and burying yourself in the cap hit, or being realistic and targeting players who are more likely to sign?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yet we have Toronto with one of hte best centers in the league, one of the best wingers in the league, reaching out.

Yet we have TBL with one of the best centers in the league, one of the best defenseman in the league, reaching out.

Stamkos and Tavares are apparently super tight, Tampa again made the ECF, essentially have unlimited cash and insanely favourable tax rates which allows their star player to sign for less and still make more.

Toronto is the richest team in the NHL and can afford to try to do everything.

I'd rather keep Karlsson than get Tavares.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Toronto also has their key players on ELC contracts. They can offer Tavares the max of $15.9m this year. So yeah, but of a different situation from Ottawa

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Sens need to sign EK, Stone, Ceci and Duchene this summer and next. That's a lot of potential dollars to be earmarked.

Also, has it been reported that Ottawa didn't reach out? Maybe they did?

Also, being realistic isn't being pathetic. Sens aren't in a position to be an attractive destination for Tavares unless they offer $14m x 8yrs.

What's more pathetic? Offering a desperate contract and burying yourself in the cap hit, or being realistic and targeting players who are more likely to sign?
If you can acquire a player of Tavares calibre, Duchene is traded. Why do you keep ignoring this extremely obvious reality?

> Also, has it been reported that Ottawa didn't reach out? Maybe they did?

Almost certainly would have heard at this point if they did.

> Also, being realistic isn't being pathetic. Sens aren't in a position to be an attractive destination for Tavares unless they offer $14m x 8yrs.

First, we can't sign him to 8 years, get your facts straight.
2nd, Tavares signed from 28-35 y.o at 17% of the cap should be jumped on by our management.

> Offering a desperate contract and burying yourself in the cap hit, or being realistic and targeting players who are more likely to sign?

Best UFA in the cap era.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Toronto also has their key players on ELC contracts. They can offer Tavares the max of $15.9m this year. So yeah, but of a different situation from Ottawa
Give me a single reason Tavares would accept a 1 year contract and not a 7 year max, just one.

Matthews and Marner come off of their ELC next year, that has to be accounted for in their accounting obviously.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I would love for the team to make a Condon/Mason swap. I think Condon fits better behind Helllebuyck moving forward (although they may want to run with Helle/Hutchinson) and Mason would be a nice piece to have in a contract year if we're not looking to bottom-out.

I'd be OK with Mason...younger than some of the other options that have been thrown around (Ward), only one year left on his current deal so he doesn't handcuff Ottawa and has something to play for. Plus Elliotte Friedman mentioned that Winnipeg might add an incentive (draft pick) for any team willing to take Mason as they need the cap room to sign Stastny.

Last edited:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
If you can acquire a player of Tavares calibre, Duchene is traded. Why do you keep ignoring this extremely obvious reality?

> Also, has it been reported that Ottawa didn't reach out? Maybe they did?

Almost certainly would have heard at this point if they did.

> Also, being realistic isn't being pathetic. Sens aren't in a position to be an attractive destination for Tavares unless they offer $14m x 8yrs.

First, we can't sign him to 8 years, get your facts straight.
2nd, Tavares signed from 28-35 y.o at 17% of the cap should be jumped on by our management.

> Offering a desperate contract and burying yourself in the cap hit, or being realistic and targeting players who are more likely to sign?

Best UFA in the cap era.

Dude, why are you so pissy?

Sens aren't ever getting Tavares.

When, in the history of the franchise, have they signed a top UFA? Gonchar?

You're complaining for the sake of complaining. It's a nothing argument because it's all in fantasy land.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Dude, why are you so pissy?

Sens aren't ever getting Tavares.

When, in the history of the franchise, have they signed a top UFA? Gonchar?

You're complaining for the sake of complaining. It's a nothing argument because it's all in fantasy land.
I'm not pissy, I posted the truth, and all of you jump on me for being "unrealistic", when you can't even understand why Duchene shouldn't be in the discussion when we are talking about the theory of signing Tavares.

Also you think we are going to be a cap team? Really? And you call me unrealistic?
One of Duchene, Stone, or Karlsson is gone. That's the reality.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I don't know

You are the one crying about us not being able to play with the big boys and calling "ourselves" pathetic
Having the ability to look at yourself objectively isn't an inferiority complex.
Most of us are fine with not chassing Tavares
Which is a reflection of the problem with our ownership and management.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I would hardly qualify your observation as objective.

You assume that we could trade Duchene easily. How long did Sakic hold out until he got what he wanted?

We are broke. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

And all three of Karlsson, Stone and Duchene are still here and our track record with re-signing players is actually decent.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
All I'm saying is there's enough doom and gloom going around without making up reasons to get upset. Your whole premise is based on two VERY heavy assumptions: that we didn't reach out, and that we could move Duchene if Tavares chose us. Neither of them are founded in reality.
If we reached out in any serious manner the media would have mentioned it like they have with others.

How is trading Duchene if Tavares signed with us not founded in reality? That is exactly how you would sign Tavares, if you wanted to keep Karlsson that is.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I would hardly qualify your observation as objective.

You assume that we could trade Duchene easily. How long did Sakic hold out until he got what he wanted?
He held out to get an extreme overpayment and with three years on Duchenes contract remaining at time of trade request. You act like Duchene has no trade value which is laughable
We are broke. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.
Holy f***, which is part of the reason our team is pathetic in both ownership and management which in turn is why it is pathetic we cannot even bother to play ball with the best UFA in the cap era. You guys realize when you say this stuff you are agreeing with me, right?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If we reached out in any serious manner the media would have mentioned it like they have with others.

How is trading Duchene if Tavares signed with us not founded in reality? That is exactly how you would sign Tavares, if you wanted to keep Karlsson that is.

You assume making big trades is easy. If we have to get rid of Duchene and everybody knows it, how are we not going to get raked over the coals?

You are out of touch with reality.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Your argument boils down to "It has to be true because no one has said otherwise." That's incredibly weak. And trading Duchene doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's not as easy as snapping your fingers and having the trade genie come down from on high. Playing musical chairs with star players is how an already terrible team reputation gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad