Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The longer Karlsson is in Ottawa the worse the trade will be IMO. How can Dorion not trade this guy for a huge return, it’s ridiculous.
e to
His entire wait to offer him a contract so EK is the bad guy, how stupid is this management team and how dumb and gullible do they think we are? This isn’t going to work, nothing they do PR wise ever works because they suck at it.

Move the player and get away from the ‘he said she said’ BS

Dorion isn’t this naive, my guess is these are dummy-requests from Melnyck and Dorion has to follow them. Overall, this entire thing is going to be a disaster from start to finish

I 100% disagree that the longer Karlsson is in Ottawa the worse the return is going to be. No GM is going at you with their best offer right away, and there will come a point where his value starts taking a hit but we aren't at that point. That time will come closer to September 1st, not July 1st. Personally I think it's important for Dorion to stand his ground with Karlsson. I do believe in time he will receive the offer he is looking for.

Have to remember each side is attempting to force the hand of the other side, with Dorion saying Ottawa will be offering Karlsson a contract on July 1, its telling teams if they really want Karlsson now they have to step up and meet their demands. He is trying to give himself some leverage. I really don't look at it as a PR move.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I’m almost certain Melnyk wouldn’t be able to give out a contract structured like Carlson’s, let alone what Karlsson is going to want.

Always been the number 1 reason I doubt Karlsson remains a Senator. You look at the contracts McDavid and Price signed these guys are receiving 70+ million in signing bonuses over an 8 year span. Just say Karlsson would sign a 80 million/8 year contract which is best case scenario for the organization, at least 60 million of that will be paid in 8 payments made annually on July 1. We all know how big of an issue a 2 million signing bonus has been, imagine how big of a problem a 10 million dollar signing bonus on July 1, 2019 will be.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Always been the number 1 reason I doubt Karlsson remains a Senator. You look at the contracts McDavid and Price signed these guys are receiving 70+ million in signing bonuses over an 8 year span. Just say Karlsson would sign a 80 million/8 year contract which is best case scenario for the organization, at least 60 million of that will be paid in 8 payments made annually on July 1. We all know how big of an issue a 2 million signing bonus has been, imagine how big of a problem a 10 million dollar signing bonus on July 1, 2019 will be.
Very well put. My only hope is Melnyk agrees to a deal like this while fully knowing he's selling before the first big bonus or the inevitable lockout. Keeping an asset like Karlsson should only help him in the sale.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I 100% disagree that the longer Karlsson is in Ottawa the worse the return is going to be. No GM is going at you with their best offer right away, and there will come a point where his value starts taking a hit but we aren't at that point. That time will come closer to September 1st, not July 1st. Personally I think it's important for Dorion to stand his ground with Karlsson. I do believe in time he will receive the offer he is looking for.

Have to remember each side is attempting to force the hand of the other side, with Dorion saying Ottawa will be offering Karlsson a contract on July 1, its telling teams if they really want Karlsson now they have to step up and meet their demands. He is trying to give himself some leverage. I really don't look at it as a PR move.

I 100% disagree with you. Every week that passes post July 1st hurts the return. The more other teams' rosters are locked in as we approach training camp, the less they will be willing to trade a big number of pieces. Also, other teams know full well Melnyk will never offer EK what he wants/deserves so they'd be fine waiting it out until Dorion is basically forced to trade him, at which time the return will be laughable.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I really don't think this is comparible. In one case, you're talking about not having to pay the bonus at all, the other, you are talking about struturing a contract such that instead of paying it evenly though the year, you pay a portion up front. The latter has the same total being paid where the former is sustantially less in total being paid.

It's possible we'd have issues taking a loan to pay those bonuses or not be able to afford the interest on them, but that's very different than wanting to save 2 mil by waiting till after a bonus is paid.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The big issue, is having to pay a 10 million signing bonus and have a lockout 2 months later. No way in hell Scrooge McDuck is game for that.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The big issue, is having to pay a 10 million signing bonus and have a lockout 2 months later. No way in hell Scrooge McDuck is game for that.
Yeah, this is an issue, but with the prevalence of bonus payments these days, I imagine the cost of a potential lockout is much higher this time around than last time for all owners. Will be interesting to see how willing owners are to lock them out when pretty much all the star players have massive bonus payments due.

Reactions: aligator

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I heard all of this with the Heatley summer and they waited u till training camp and the deal was terrible.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The deal was comparable to the one the Oilers had before Heatley nixed it in late June.

The deal was terrible and the Oilers deal was WAY Better then the Buyout Cheechoo. Coglinao is still in the NHL and Smid played for several more years. Not to mention Penner had a 30 and 20 goal season after that year and 2 long playoff runs with LA.

We only got Michalek who was just a solid 2nd line winger

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
In a world where we ship out Andy and don't take a goalie back what are our realistic options available to make sure we don't go into the season with Condon as our starter?

Free Agency is a crapshoot at the best of times, and this year may be even weaker for goalies than usual. The only interesting names that stick out are Mrazek, Lehner and Hutton and I'm pretty sure CH will price himself out of the Sens price range.

I would love for the team to make a Condon/Mason swap. I think Condon fits better behind Helllebuyck moving forward (although they may want to run with Helle/Hutchinson) and Mason would be a nice piece to have in a contract year if we're not looking to bottom-out.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
GREATEST NEWS!

MTL requested to meet with Tavares, and Tavares' camp told them they weren't interested!

My day is now a good day.
Isn't it pathetic how much cap space we have, yet, there has been no indication we even bothered to reach out to the best UFA in the cap space era.

Reactions: Emerica

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Isn't it pathetic how much cap space we have, yet, there has been no indication we even bothered to reach out to the best UFA in the cap space era.

Not at all. In what world will any top UFA sign in Ottawa without the most outrageous overpayment?

Sens need to get their house in order first.

Don't expect any significant UFAs this summer.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Duchene, Karlsson and Stone say 'Hi'.

Lots of work to be done by Ottawa to eat up that cap space.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Not at all. In what world will any top UFA sign in Ottawa without the most outrageous overpayment?

Sens need to get their house in order first.

Don't expect any significant UFAs this summer.
So it isn't pathetic that we haven't reached out, it's just pathetic that our management is aware how pathetic the club is looked at from UFAs.

Sounds like you indirectly agree with me that it is pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad