Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
No playoff run happening anytime soon if half of our defence consists of Harpur/Ceci and Boro and no Karlsson.

I meant a streak of years making the playoffs. My bad, wasn't worded very well.

Also I find it convenient to your motive that you didn't mention Chabot in that list. Unless you just forgot, in which case my apologies haha.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I meant a streak of years making the playoffs. My bad, wasn't worded very well.

Also I find it convenient to your motive that you didn't mention Chabot in that list.

Because Chabot is good. Why would I include him as a reason for the team to fail? He will be a permanent bright spot on a defence that includes 3 very mediocre 5-6-7 type defencemen.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Because Chabot is good. Why would I include him as a reason for the team to fail? He will be a permanent bright spot on a defence that includes 3 very mediocre 5-6-7 type defencemen.

I just find it silly to form an opinion based on an illusion. And you really think that Ceci is a 5 dman?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Yes I do and I am not alone in this thinking.

"You are not alone in this thinking" is argumentum ad populum and a very obvious fallacious argument.

What are your arguments? What is your definition of a 4 dman compared to a 5 dman?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
"You are not alone in this thinking" is argumentum ad populum and a very obvious fallacious argument.

What are your arguments? What is your definition of a 4 dman compared to a 5 dman?

Please refer to the Cody Ceci thread, you will find all the answers you need there, its on Page 3.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No playoff run happening anytime soon if half of our defence consists of Harpur/Ceci and Boro and no Karlsson.
this team's 1-2 may actually be ceci and harpur.. which is worrying but whats more worrying is that I don't think boucher sees that as a problem, in fact, I think he may believe it is a strength.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

One that has a brain, one that can read a play offensively or defensively, one that can pass or shoot accurately without it exploding off his stick, one that uses his strengths such as size and speed to do more good than bad when he's on the ice, one that doesn't get hemmed down in his own end running around like a headless chicken, one that doesn't lose the puck to an opposing player that doesn't even have a stick.

The dude is a 5-6 dman that would have been scratched multiple times in his career and played 15-18min max, if his passport showed that he was from 250km outside of the Ottawa region.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yep... things are looking better though. Since 2015 we've been drafting better and more importantly, we've had more draft picks and early rounders. It'll take another year or two for that to bear fruit, and a few more years of good drafting (and some good pro moves obviously) for sustained success.

From 2015 and on, you have Chabot/White/Chlapik/Gagne/Jaros/Wolanin/Brown/Dahlen(sad face)/Lajoie/Nurmi/Bowers(used to get Duchene)/Formenton/Batherson. That's solid AF... Another good draft this year (top 5 pick probably assured) and next year and I believe we can go on another playoff run.

Removing our best player will make us better?

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
lol at the Spezza talk in this thread. We need to bring players here that have a 'give a **** meter'. No more perimeter mongers.

Besides, he was basically run out of town by fans waiting for his every mistake, much like Redden. He will just piss off fans again the second he does a drop pass, even if its not until game 25 into the season.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
meh...that's life in a league where half the teams make the playoffs.

some teams have done better but that has resulted from being bottom of the barrel last decade and drafting and retaining hall of famers throughout their careers

Oh sure, it’s all parity right? It’s not like there have been bad trades, bad draft choices, poor play on the ice or anything.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Oh sure, it’s all parity right? It’s not like there have been bad trades, bad draft choices, poor play on the ice or anything.

there's all kinds of factors Dave including what you've mentioned but the reality is every team has bad draft choices, trades and poor play. 10 years. that's 70 draft picks. I think a team with 12 or 13 homegrown products is considered wildly successful?

Take away Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, LA and Boston. What's left? How many of what's left made the playoffs more frequently?

this isn't the 80s....8 of 16 in our conference make it. all else being equal the odds are 50%. but it's not equal. one team has Crosby and Malkin. Another team has Ovechkin. That tilts the odds for them. only 6 of 14 left make it.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Removing our best player will make us better?

Yep, that's exactly what I said. Great job summarizing my post. I couldn't have done it better myself. Truly, bravo.

One that has a brain, one that can read a play offensively or defensively, one that can pass or shoot accurately without it exploding off his stick, one that uses his strengths such as size and speed to do more good than bad when he's on the ice, one that doesn't get hemmed down in his own end running around like a headless chicken, one that doesn't lose the puck to an opposing player that doesn't even have a stick.

The dude is a 5-6 dman that would have been scratched multiple times in his career and played 15-18min max, if his passport showed that he was from 250km outside of the Ottawa region.

You're zeroing in on too many little details, while not giving him credit for a bunch of other small things he does well. I don't think that's fair. It just shows you don't like the player. That's fine and fair. But to not go through a fair analysis of him isn't, imo.

Yes, he doesn't have the best IQ or vision. Yes, the accuracy of his shot hasn't improved much since he entered the league. No, he doesn't always get hemmed in his zone. No, it isn't always his fault if he IS hemmed in his zone. I'd say he uses his size and speed in an average manner. Doesn't use it the best way he can, like Karlsson for example. But not everyone is King Karl. He still uses his size and speed well enough to push forwards off the puck, to lead rushes out of his zone. Admittedly, those rushes often finish by dump-ins or neutral zone play and not in an offensive zone chance, but that's when expectations should come into play. Just the fact that he can singlehandedly get the puck out of the zone, multiple times a game, is a seriously underselled part of his game.

Now, I just treated some of the criticism you stated. Know that overall I think he's a 4 dman right now. So it's not like our opinions are that different. I think that right now if he had a dman who can carry a 2nd pair with him (like we thought Phaneuf was the first few months he was here, or in the mold of Bouwmeester/Brodin/Hjalmarsson/Dekeyser/etc.) he would look much better. He looks worse than he is because he is paired with the 5-6 dmen that you mention. He isn't one himself. Notice that when he's with Chabot those two look pretty good together, though with some gaffes which are to be expected.

If he was smarter, more aware, had more vision, used his shot better and his assets better like you seem to expect of him, he would be a #1-2 dman lol... So imo it's really unfair to use hyperbole and say that he's a 5-6 dman because he's not perfect in those things. Even Karlsson isn't perfect in his decision making and he's still the best dman in the league bar-none. That's just my (long) opinion on Ceci. It's fine if you have another one. Just trying to see if I can reason with you a bit.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Trading EK isnt the issue for me,its what we get back for him that will be....Picks and magic beans wont move the needle,we need at least 2 good young NHL calibre players and 2 bluechip prospects back...We get that and we should be ok ......We dont ,and yep we will be handing over lottery pick over to COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad