Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Phaneuf should never have been asked to waive his no trade clause. I agree with Brian Burke on this. Players should never be asked to give something up that they have negotiated in good faith.

Milan Michalek would agree with that statement.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Phaneuf should never have been asked to waive his no trade clause. I agree with Brian Burke on this. Players should never be asked to give something up that they have negotiated in good faith.

Except Ottawa never signed him and gave him a NTC. We traded for him sure, but that doesn't mean we pictured him here for the duration of his contract. Phaneuf is well within his rights to decline anything though that was agreed upon his signing.

I know he spends his summers here in P.E.I with Cuthbert. They just built an outdoor kitchen last year on their property and an inlaw suite this year I believe. Seems pretty dedicated to living in Canada, so perhaps finding a deal to keep him here will persuade him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Except Ottawa never signed him and gave him a NTC. We traded for him sure, but that doesn't mean we pictured him here for the duration of his contract. Phaneuf is well within his rights to decline anything though that was agreed upon his signing.

I know he spends his summers here in P.E.I with Cuthbert. They just built an outdoor kitchen last year on their property and an inlaw suite this year I believe. Seems pretty dedicated to living in Canada, so perhaps finding a deal to keep him here will persuade him.

Well it likely won't be Calgary they just made a deal for a D, or Toronto they chased him out of town, or Vancouver they are doing a mini rebuild, Winnipeg seems ok D wise, so Edmonton or Montreal ... Montreal maybe; Its closer to PEI too

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Well it likely won't be Calgary they just made a deal for a D, or Toronto they chased him out of town, or Vancouver they are doing a mini rebuild, Winnipeg seems ok D wise, so Edmonton or Montreal ... Montreal maybe; Its closer to PEI too

I think Montreal/Winnipeg would be the ideal fit for him, but probably not the best return Dorion can negotiate. I'm fine with keeping him though if the return isn't fair.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Sorry comment edited out:

I got pulled in making a long..ish off topic Phaneuf comment by not reading the thread properly so I'm moving it myself to somewhere more appropriate.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Man id love Giroux here. He would help immensely on the pp and really steps up come playoff time

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Montreal is the only Canadian destination that makes a lot of sense. Maybe we have to take Plekanec back or something.

LA and DET were rumored to be interested in him years ago when TOR was shopping him.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I think Edmonton was interested, but doesnt really make sense to me considering the big contracts they have coming up

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I think Edmonton was interested

That was before they re-signed Kris Russell to a 4 year deal though. With Draisaitl and McDavid both getting raises over the next two seasons, I can't see them wanting to add Phaneuf now that they have made a 4M commitment to Russell.

I'd expect things to get happening, I think tomorrow is the day we can start talking to free agents. Basically dress rehearsal for July 1st. If Dorion gets an indication that his targets will sign, it might motivate him to pull the trigger on a less desirable deal for Phaneuf if it means dumping him to clear the salary to sign those players.

I guess Dorion's been studying all the asset management posts on this board.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Edmonton was interested, but doesnt really make sense to me considering the big contracts they have coming up

True they will have a huge investment in McDavid and Draisaitl so they are likely out... If Eberle was still there maybe

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Could see the Devils being interested. Lots of cap space and a need on D
maybe Washington to replace Alzner? Probably not a contract they want to acquire untouched though

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Could see the Devils being interested. Lots of cap space and a need on D
maybe Washington to replace Alzner? Probably not a contract they want to acquire untouched though

Dallas has been rumored to be after a veteran LD and is pretty damn solid cap wise especially since both of their big goalie contracts are coming off the books next year.

Although Dallas probably prefers Methot, I'm guessing asset wise, we ask for less for Phaneuf than Vegas might be asking for in exchange for Methot.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
FWIW:

Talking to some of the Flyers fans on the main board regarding Giroux and Schenn the last week, a decent amount want Giroux moved. Feel he's overpaid/overrated/not great at even strength.

Their pipe dream offers were Chabot, White, 1st for Giroux. No chance.

Some other offers were:
Turris, White OR Brown, 1st for Giroux, Filpula (50% retained), 2nd
Brassard + Hoffman for Giroux

I countered some of their proposals with Brassard + White + 1st but as expected most of them wanted more or wanted Hoffman instead of Brassard etc.

woof! Philly fans can keep dreaming.

Giroux scares me. The guy has consistently dropped in performance and points over the last 4 years. At his rate of decline, he projects to get 50 points (max) this year in Philly.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Giroux scares me. The guy has consistently dropped in performance and points over the last 4 years. At his rate of decline, he projects to get 50 points (max) this year in Philly.

Agreed. If Giroux is available, its for a reason. Avoid.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I think it makes a ton of sense to move Phaneuf. If we don't move him now, we're never going to move him (and by him - I really mean his contract). I don't think he's a great fit for Boucher's quick system tbh, and now that we're sold on Boucher for a while (I hope...) I think it makes sense to make some more moves for his system. I think we got the best out of Phaneuf that we're going to see/get and it's not unlikely it'll decline from here - especially if we have to lean on him in the absence of Methot.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
i could see Philly trading Giroux..its gonna happen eventually

they got Nolan Patrick and would get a center as part of the return for G.

best part is that he has a full no trade clause and for the first time we gotta know he would waive to come here

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Dallas has been rumored to be after a veteran LD and is pretty damn solid cap wise especially since both of their big goalie contracts are coming off the books next year.

Although Dallas probably prefers Methot, I'm guessing asset wise, we ask for less for Phaneuf than Vegas might be asking for in exchange for Methot.

Could something around Phaneuf to Dallas with us taking back Niemi or Lehtonen to balance salary work? Both of their contracts expire after next season

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Could something around Phaneuf to Dallas with us taking back Niemi or Lehtonen to balance salary work? Both of their contracts expire after next season

That's a pretty neat idea. Move a bad contract while also bringing in a decent backup for Andy. And the contract expires just in time for Hogberg to step in.

That has the potential to be a huge win for us.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
phaneuf, brassard, brown for Giroux

Sign Alzner

Hoffman/Giroux/Ryan
MacArthur/Turris/Stone
Smith/Pageau/Dzingel
Stalberg/Pyatt/Burrows

Alzner/Karlsson
Claesson/Ceci
Boro/Wideman

Anderson
Condon

Ease the kids in, no rushing.
Budget sits at 67 ish

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
phaneuf, brassard, brown for Giroux

Sign Alzner

Hoffman/Giroux/Ryan
MacArthur/Turris/Stone
Smith/Pageau/Dzingel
Stalberg/Pyatt/Burrows

Alzner/Karlsson
Claesson/Ceci
Boro/Wideman

Anderson
Condon

Ease the kids in, no rushing.
Budget sits at 67 ish

If we move a C for Giroux, I bet you it'll be Turris. Dorion seems very high on Brassard, and he was probably a Boucher driven acquisition. He is also dirt cheap for two more years, Turris is about to get a huge raise.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
...why?

Odds are that Turris, Brassard and Giroux will all be in the same points range next year. Why bring in an older guy with a bigger paycheck for the same production? And give Philly additional prospects/picks on top of that?

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010

Yeah, some outrageous proposals by them lol. I'd probably do Brassard + White + 1st/2nd.

The thing that's interesting with Giroux is his goals held pretty steady over the years at around 25, but his assist total plummeted. Is that a product of playing with a less talented roster than Philly used to have or missing some of his old line mates who were good finishers? I know in recent years him and Voracek have played a lot together - not really a great duo stylistically as they are both more the playmaker/set-up type who need the puck on their sticks - not natural goal scorers. Giroux seemed to have more success when playing with a guy like Hartnell who had a finishing touch and could plop his behind in the slot and bury feeds from Giroux.

2016-17 was the only season Giroux's goal total dropped way down to 14. Don't know if that was a blip or the start of a trend, but Philly was all around putrid for most of the season - most guys seemed to have down years.

I'd be willing to take a gamble on Giroux. When he's right, he's everything Guy Boucher wants in a center. He's very creative and crafty and plays with a ton of grit for a guy with his skill level. I think if you bring him in and play him with a pure goal scorer like Bobby Ryan, Hoffman, or Stone rather than another pass first playmaker like Voracek, you could see a real good resurgence.

Ideally I'd want to do a package around Brassard + White but as others have said it seems more likely Turris is inserted in to that package instead of Brassard due to contract and Boucher.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, some outrageous proposals by them lol. I'd probably do Brassard + White + 1st/2nd.

The thing that's interesting with Giroux is his goals held pretty steady over the years at around 25, but his assist total plummeted. Is that a product of playing with a less talented roster than Philly used to have or missing some of his old line mates who were good finishers? I know in recent years him and Voracek have played a lot together - not really a great duo stylistically as they are both more the playmaker/set-up type who need the puck on their sticks - not natural goal scorers. Giroux seemed to have more success when playing with a guy like Hartnell who had a finishing touch and could plop his behind in the slot and bury feeds from Giroux.

2016-17 was the only season Giroux's goal total dropped way down to 14. Don't know if that was a blip or the start of a trend, but Philly was all around putrid for most of the season - most guys seemed to have down years.

I'd be willing to take a gamble on Giroux. When he's right, he's everything Guy Boucher wants in a center. He's very creative and crafty and plays with a ton of grit for a guy with his skill level. I think if you bring him in and play him with a pure goal scorer like Bobby Ryan, Hoffman, or Stone rather than another pass first playmaker like Voracek, you could see a real good resurgence.

Ideally I'd want to do a package around Brassard + White but as others have said it seems more likely Turris is inserted in to that package instead of Brassard due to contract and Boucher.

That feels like another Bobby Ryan trade.

Points-wise I feel like Brass will end up with about 5 points less than Giroux, while Turris will likely have the highest totals of the 3.

So, not only are we not getting any boost in scoring, but we're gifting Philly 2 more assets (and taking on the worst contract...8 million per season for the next 5 years!!!)....

Why make the same mistake twice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad