Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Trading Phaneuf sends a good message to the rest of our players: "Don't put your ego ahead of the team."

Why the hell did Phaneuf not waive his NTC for the expansion draft? Did Phaneuf think he stood a fair chance of being selected? Was Phaneuf aware of Methot's personal situation?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
One UFA and one trade is my guess. Not much on the UFA market for D but who knows. There is no other reason to trade Phaneuf after losing Methot but to make a couple fairly big moves using their salaries. This stuff about Melnyk and budget is bunk, it's to try and improve the team. Say what you want but Dorion strikes me as a high energy guy that will be willing to try some bold moves to improve. Let's let it play out

Whether it's budget related or not it's hard to argue that the Sens have been extremely conservative on July 1st for a very long time. We're in the bottom 5 for total July 1st signings since 2005, and I can't even recall the last player that was signed for longer than 2 years. Was it Gonchar? That would have been 7 years ago!

This kind of strategy saves you from making a huge mistake, but it also puts you in a position where you are likely to lose ground on many of your competitors.

I think they can benefit by being more active filling out the bottom end/depth parts of the roster than they've been recently.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Trading Phaneuf sends a good message to the rest of our players: "Don't put your ego ahead of the team."

Why the hell did Phaneuf not waive his NTC for the expansion draft? Did Phaneuf think he stood a fair chance of being selected? Was Phaneuf aware of Methot's personal situation?

The Sun article saying he might have a problem in the room with some others players was a bit shocking, I think it's probably overblown but you wonder if Dions famous 'my music in the locker room' attitude started to rub some influential players the wrong way?

That's why we traded Zibby, he hated Dion's music selection and preferred the musical tastes of Mats Zucherello Norwegian sensibilities.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Whether it's budget related or not it's hard to argue that the Sens have been extremely conservative on July 1st for a very long time. We're in the bottom 5 for total July 1st signings since 2005, and I can't even recall the last player that was signed for longer than 2 years. Was it Gonchar? That would have been 7 years ago!

This kind of strategy saves you from making a huge mistake, but it also puts you in a position where you are likely to lose ground on many of your competitors.

I think they can benefit by being more active filling out the bottom end/depth parts of the roster than they've been recently.

I agree with that. Not very many UFA signings actually work out, in fact very few. It's why I've never really cared if the Sens tried or not, but sometimes you have to and if Phaneuf is traded they will have to sign a UFA whether it be on D or F. They don't have enough assets to do 2 trades for impact players but they have enough for one and enough money then to sign someone too.

Aggressive plan, first step is trading Phaneuf and that's probably the most difficult step.

otown

Sep 4, 2009

He was just sticking to the terms of his contract which he has a right to do. I agree that the liklihood of him being selected was slim but like Methot and other players, everyone has a personal family situation that may impact their hockey future. Phaneuf simply decided to take control of his own personal situation which he had negotiated. Can't blame him. At his age and stage of his career he has earned the right.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
Theories:

1. We are trying to mess with Vegas plans to trade methot
2. Dion is the player that Dorian had a surprising conversation with at the end of the season
3. Trying to sell high and get Alzner as a UFA

That's all I've got

source

Jul 13, 2008
He was just sticking to the terms of his contract which he has a right to do. I agree that the liklihood of him being selected was slim but like Methot and other players, everyone has a personal family situation that may impact their hockey future. Phaneuf simply decided to take control of his own personal situation which he had negotiated. Can't blame him. At his age and stage of his career he has earned the right.

I agree Phaneuf had every contractual right to do what he did.

But I strongly doubt Vegas would have picked Phaneuf if he was simply unprotected. Did Vegas choose any other high-priced players (without receiving additional consideration?)?

I am sure the Sens guaranteed to Phaneuf that they wouldn't trade him to Vegas, only leave him unprotected. Phaneuf is an ******* for doing what he did.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I agree Phaneuf had every contractual right to do what he did.

But I strongly doubt Vegas would have picked Phaneuf if he was simply unprotected. Did Vegas choose any other high-priced players (without receiving additional consideration?)?

I am sure the Sens guaranteed to Phaneuf that they wouldn't trade him to Vegas, only leave him unprotected. Phaneuf is an ******* for doing what he did.

Vegas probably wouldn't have picked Phaneuf, but I'd imagine that he wanted absolute security. He probably expected a commitment that the Sens would make a side deal to protect him regardless.

Look at Tobias Enstrom - he was the only player outside Fleury to lift his NMC for the expansion draft, and he did so with the knowledge that Winnipeg were going to negotiate a deal to ensure he wasn't picked. The price they paid to Vegas was substantial; they moved down 11 slots in the first round and gave up a future 3rd rounder as well.

Would the Sens have done that for Phaneuf? We don't know, but it sounds to me like they just intended to let it ride and hope for the best.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Vegas probably wouldn't have picked Phaneuf, but I'd imagine that he wanted absolute security. He probably expected a commitment that the Sens would make a side deal to protect him regardless.

Look at Tobias Enstrom - he was the only player outside Fleury to lift his NMC for the expansion draft, and he did so with the knowledge that Winnipeg were going to negotiate a deal to ensure he wasn't picked. The price they paid to Vegas was substantial; they moved down 11 slots in the first round and gave up a future 3rd rounder as well.

Would the Sens have done that for Phaneuf? We don't know, but it sounds to me like they just intended to let it ride and hope for the best.

Yes Phaneuf wanted absolute security, but I think he clearly overvalued himself and that this prejudiced the Sens.

If Phaneuf does return there will be especial scrutiny of his performance if he is playing badly. The stress of this happening for Phaneuf might itself justify us trading him.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
FWIW:

Talking to some of the Flyers fans on the main board regarding Giroux and Schenn the last week, a decent amount want Giroux moved. Feel he's overpaid/overrated/not great at even strength.

Their pipe dream offers were Chabot, White, 1st for Giroux. No chance.

Some other offers were:
Turris, White OR Brown, 1st for Giroux, Filpula (50% retained), 2nd
Brassard + Hoffman for Giroux

I countered some of their proposals with Brassard + White + 1st but as expected most of them wanted more or wanted Hoffman instead of Brassard etc.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Phaneuf should never have been asked to waive his no trade clause. I agree with Brian Burke on this. Players should never be asked to give something up that they have negotiated in good faith.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
So if the Senators are looking for a centre and d man, here are some of the UFA targets they could pursue

Centre
Joe Thornton
Mike Fisher
Martin Hanzal

Defense
Dmitry Kulikov
Kevin Shattenkirk
Michael Stone
Cody Franson
Karl Alzner

Also I don't like Dorion's comments of wanting to keep the team the same. We won't make the conference finals next year if we don't add to the roster especially after losing Methot.

So here are some RW and LW UFA targets

RW
Alexander Radulov
Jaromir Jagr
Justin Williams

LW
Patrick Marleau
Patrick Sharp
Chris Kunitz

Then we have the UFA/trade target of Ilya Kovalchuck.

Time for Dorion to show what he can do and take a big step forward by making the moves that put us in the Cup final.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Phaneuf should never have been asked to waive his no trade clause. I agree with Brian Burke on this. Players should never be asked to give something up that they have negotiated in good faith.

Then players should never be allowed to ask for a trade either.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

It shouldn't have been too hard to negotiate a deal to assure that Vegas would have picked someone else. They probably wouldn't have picked him anyway, but given his contract it would have been much easier than doing the same for Methot.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So if the Senators are looking for a centre and d man, here are some of the UFA targets they could pursue

Centre
Joe Thornton
Mike Fisher
Martin Hanzal

Defense
Dmitry Kulikov
Kevin Shattenkirk
Michael Stone
Cody Franson
Karl Alzner

Also I don't like Dorion's comments of wanting to keep the team the same. We won't make the conference finals next year if we don't add to the roster especially after losing Methot.

RW
Alexander Radulov
Jaromir Jagr
Justin Williams

LW
Patrick Marleau
Patrick Sharp
Chris Kunitz

Time for Dorion to show what he can do and take a big step forward by making the moves that put us in the Cup final.

If the Senators get one of those players I will be astounded!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If that's the case we all know it comes from the owner who seems to need the playoff revenue. I would be surprised if PD is able to trade Phaneuf this off season or ever really with that contract & a depreciating skill set. Will be interesting though to see who they think within the organization will eventually be playing at the NHL level soon.

Considering Claesson is already going to being staying in the NHL, on defence they also have about 4 other defencemen who will challenge over the next yr or two in Harpur, Englund, Chabot & Jaros. At forward they have White, Paul & maybe Perron who could challenge for a spot at some point this yr & maybe Brown & Gagne the following yr. They need to start making some deals for good young forwards, this seems to be the big weakness so far on this team looking forward. The guys they just drafted are probably about 3 to 5 yrs away.

A first line center is the major need, but I do not think it will be possible for the Senators to trade for one.

So some better wingers with size, toughness and scoring would be nice to get.

I have concerns about Boucher's defensive system and how it will hinder offense. Perhaps he will adjust it if he had different wingers.

Last edited:

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

Centre
Joe Thornton
Mike Fisher
Martin Hanzal

Defense
Dmitry Kulikov
Kevin Shattenkirk
Michael Stone
Cody Franson
Karl Alzner

RW
Alexander Radulov
Jaromir Jagr
Justin Williams

LW
Patrick Marleau
Patrick Sharp
Chris Kunitz

These would be fantastic, but not realistic.

Maybe we take a shot at Korbinian Holzer.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I think the Sens want to move Phaneuf b/c:
1.) he's slow
2.) he's expensive
3.) we have a lot of young guns ready to take a step up
4.) he's still got some value b/c he can be a perfect piece for any team who can slot him in like we did last season
5.) his value will be very low in future seasons

I think with Methot gone and Brassard out for the first part of the season they're going to try and do a little mini-rebuild with the young and cheap and see how it goes. White is going to get some quality ice and so are Claesson and Harpur. They're going to roll with Wideman at RD as long as they can.

He and Methot were warriors last spring but it's time to move on, I think. And I don't think the Sens want Phaneuf on the first pairing at all.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Centre
Joe Thornton - pipe dream; old, coming off major surgery
Mike Fisher - could be serviceable 4C if he comes cheap
Martin Hanzal - not better than JGP, Turris, Brassard, old, injury prone, not paying him big money to be 4C

Defense
Dmitry Kulikov - could be an alright buy low option
Kevin Shattenkirk - pipe dream
Michael Stone - don't see why he'd come here when we have Karlsson + Ceci in the top 4; have to think he'd want guaranteed top 4 minutes
Cody Franson - bad
Karl Alzner - not worth the contract he's going to demand

RW
Alexander Radulov - pipe dream
Jaromir Jagr - pipe dream
Justin Williams - not better than Ryan or Stone

LW
Patrick Marleau - pipe dream
Patrick Sharp - old but could be interested if he is reasonably cheap
Chris Kunitz - :laugh::laugh::laugh: are you serious

Then we have the UFA/trade target of Ilya Kovalchuck. (pipe dream)

My thoughts. Pretty much most of these guys are pipe dreams and we don't have a chance in hell at signing them. We're the Ottawa Senators. When was the last time we signed a marquee FA lol.

Most of the rest are old, aren't better than the guys we already have, and are going to be demanding contracts that make the GM who signs them regret them down the road. Let's not make that mistake.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

I kind of agree, it was my point all along, don't expect Phaneuf to waive unless either a deal is already in place or a real persuasive handshake that they won't let it happen. That clause was negotiated, zero reason for him to waive and I don't blame him in the least. It doesn't matter the slightest of the odds of him being picked, that clause was his for just this reason.

When I didn't hear about a prearranged deal, it makes the trade rumours make much more sense. It's got nothing to do with bad feelings in the room, this was well thought out before any of this happened. I hope a trade can be arranged now because if it doesn't happen it will give the media and idiot bloggers months of ridiculous fodder.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I think the Sens want to move Phaneuf b/c:
1.) he's slow
2.) he's expensive
3.) we have a lot of young guns ready to take a step up

I think with Methot gone and Brassard out for the first part of the season they're going to try and do a little mini-rebuild with the young and cheap and see how it goes. White is going to get some quality ice and so are Claesson and Harpur. They're going to roll with Wideman at RD as long as they can.

He and Methot were warriors last spring but it's time to move on, I think. And I don't think the Sens want Phaneuf on the first pairing at all.

Agreed with all of this.

Hopefully we get a good player in a trade or as a free agent. Harpur and Claesson could both get serious minutes to start the year but we need them playing behind the top 3 or 4 guys.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Seriously? That is a crap comment. The team is now shopping Phaneuf supposedly. For all we know the team might have given Vegas assets to take Phaneuf if he waived.

Pro sports is brutal... Phaneuf was completely within his rights not to waive. It has nothing to do with ego.

Fans or management being bitter about Phaneuf not waiving are being ridiculous and idiotic and stupid.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
If the Sens move Phaneuf, it would probably mean they need to look to the free agent market.

On the left side we'd have Chabot, Claesson, Boro, and Englund.
Englund could be ready for some NHL time this year, but I would say he'd be bottom pairing for a while. Chabot is going to be good, but throwing him to the wolves in top pairing minutes right away could be problematic. He's still got to learn the pro game a bit. Claesson was very good, but I'm not sure I'd be okay with him putting up huge top line minutes and being deployed more int he defensive end than he was. I'd like to see the Sens grab another left shot D.

I mentioned it on Twitter that I thought they should look at Del Zotto. He'd a be a cheap low risk option who had some very good underlying numbers. If he doesn't work out, you've risked little. I'm sure the Sens would be able to bring him in on a short term for low money.

Kulikov is another guy to consider. He's younger, and seems like he could turn around on a better team. However, poor team or not, his numbers aren't very good.

Sens should be able to bolster their forward depth with a bit of cash now available. Maybe a guy like Nick Bonino, or Kris Versteeg. Seems like Versteeg has gotten past his health stuff now. Bonino would be an okay guy to play on your bottom line for a good price.

Or we could re-sign Stalberg and Wingels. Or maybe Just one. I'd pick Stalberg. His size and speed were really useful. He may not have produced at any real higher rate than Wingels, but his shot suppression and shot generation numbers were better, so he's more due for increased production. Wingels isn't likely to see better production, and could actually slide down as he didn't do well at generating shots.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
The rumor of the Senators shopping Phaneuf is disconcerting given the team has just lost Methot. I don't like this team's asset management in recent years. Too many old boys signed and not enough talent acquired. It seems that the objective is always "make the playoffs this year" and some of the future is sacrificed to that end.

Stretch but could it also be ottawas way of trying to lower the market for methot to try and get back at the golden showers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad