Status
Not open for further replies.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
A lot of smoke, but no fire! Fake news? ��

most likely, but it is interesting to note what we are looking for:

D-man and Center

in free agency I see us going after Hanzal and Kulikov

trading Phaneuf seems like a terrible idea right now...

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
most likely, but it is interesting to note what we are looking for:

D-man and Center

in free agency I see us going after Hanzal and Kulikov

trading Phaneuf seems like a terrible idea right now...

I think Kulikov is a great fit for us both price and style wise..

Hanzal I think he Will be overpaid.. but if he comes in around 4Mil/3yrs I'd be down.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Bob Mackenzie said a couple teams have called on Giroux

hes a Center right.. :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

I really think we were one of the teams.. only way we do it though is if they take back Bobby or Dion..

Giroux would do wonders if we could get him though.. could score 20 on the PP alone with Karlsson (obvious exaggeration). But I think he'd be incredible here

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I really think we were one of the teams.. only way we do it though is if they take back Bobby or Dion..

Giroux would do wonders if we could get him though.. could score 20 on the PP alone with Karlsson (obvious exaggeration). But I think he'd be incredible here

I think we definitely called. But if we're sending them bobby they'll want a lot more back.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
they probably want Brown + or Turris/Brassard on top of a big contract

they just got Nolan Patrick which is pretty huge, and already have Couturier

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I don't know why the Flyers will move Giroux, unless they are in tank/rebuild mode for Dahlin.

In a beggar dream, I would be ecstatic to have someone like him even with his contract in lieu of his recent production. This guy will be ideal, at his peak he was a top-5 player not too long ago. The missing link, the game breaking centre to complement the King.

Phaneuf and/or Ryan will have to go the other way along with a boatload of assets.

Teams are calling, PD should definitely be calling, but it might be just other teams sensing a tank/rebuild type scenario. Otherwise, trading Giroux for packages makes the Flyers immediately worse.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Why are the Sens trying to move Phaneuf after just losing Methot?

He seems to have played pretty good last season.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Why are the Sens trying to move Phaneuf after just losing Methot?

He seems to have played pretty good last season.

I think they're a lot more upset about him causing the team to lose Methot than they're willing to express publicly.

Not sure I buy the contract explanation. They didn't know they had Karlsson, Turris, Stone, Ceci, Pageau all coming up for extensions when they made the trade? That would be a worrying lack of foresight.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I think they're a lot more upset about him causing the team to lose Methot than they're willing to express publicly.

Not sure I buy the contract explanation. They didn't know they had Karlsson, Turris, Stone, Ceci, Pageau all coming up for extensions when they made the trade? That would be a worrying lack of foresight.

Losing Methot changes everything. If you get rid of just Phaneuf, you can probably get a similar but cheaper DMan but you won't have enough money to add another impact player.

You lose Methot + Phaneuf, that's about 12 mil. That can easily be stretched into 2 DMen + an impact forward.

That's what I think they are hoping to do.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Losing Methot changes everything. If you get rid of just Phaneuf, you can probably get a similar but cheaper DMan but you won't have enough money to add another impact player.

You lose Methot + Phaneuf, that's about 12 mil. That can easily be stretched into 2 DMen + an impact forward.

That seems like an extremely ambitious plan for a team that hasn't had much success attracting free agents recently. Not sure it's realistic, but I can see the logic in wanting to go that direction.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
That seems like an extremely ambitious plan for a team that hasn't had much success attracting free agents recently. Not sure it's realistic, but I can see the logic in wanting to go that direction.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a UFA but I also suspect that IF Dion is dealt, it will be after we speak to some UFAs to gauge interest because I agree - trading Dion on the basis of hope is not a good idea.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
since we can speak to UFAs now, we should have an idea of how that'll go

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

The rumor of the Senators shopping Phaneuf is disconcerting given the team has just lost Methot. I don't like this team's asset management in recent years. Too many old boys signed and not enough talent acquired. It seems that the objective is always "make the playoffs this year" and some of the future is sacrificed to that end.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
they probably want Brown + or Turris/Brassard on top of a big contract

they just got Nolan Patrick which is pretty huge, and already have Couturier

Give them Ryan and Phaneuf for Giroux. Philly has the do-re-me to afford that. :)

Probably not what they want though!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The rumor of the Senators shopping Phaneuf is disconcerting given the team has just lost Methot. I don't like this team's asset management in recent years. Too many old boys signed and not enough talent acquired. It seems that the objective is always "make the playoffs this year" and some of the future is sacrificed to that end.

If that's the case we all know it comes from the owner who seems to need the playoff revenue. I would be surprised if PD is able to trade Phaneuf this off season or ever really with that contract & a depreciating skill set. Will be interesting though to see who they think within the organization will eventually be playing at the NHL level soon.

Considering Claesson is already going to being staying in the NHL, on defence they also have about 4 other defencemen who will challenge over the next yr or two in Harpur, Englund, Chabot & Jaros. At forward they have White, Paul & maybe Perron who could challenge for a spot at some point this yr & maybe Brown & Gagne the following yr. They need to start making some deals for good young forwards, this seems to be the big weakness so far on this team looking forward. The guys they just drafted are probably about 3 to 5 yrs away.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
since we can speak to UFAs now, we should have an idea of how that'll go

Perhaps. Then again, some guy saying 'Yes, I might be willing to come to Ottawa' probably goes out the window when another team comes along on July 1st and blows your offer out of the water financially.

Defensemen almost never come cheap and we just don't know how much of a commitment the team is comfortable with. If it's anything like in recent years they will be looking to mitigate risk by signing short-term, cheaper deals. Right off the bat that limits the calibre of player you're in the running to sign.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

That's what it is for sure, but I would suspect one Dman and one forward.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Perhaps. Then again, some guy saying 'Yes, I might be willing to come to Ottawa' probably goes out the window when another team comes along on July 1st and blows your offer out of the water financially.

Defensemen almost never come cheap and we just don't know how much of a commitment the team is comfortable with. If it's anything like in recent years they will be looking to mitigate risk by signing short-term, cheaper deals. Right off the bat that limits the calibre of player you're in the running to sign.

One UFA and one trade is my guess. Not much on the UFA market for D but who knows. There is no other reason to trade Phaneuf after losing Methot but to make a couple fairly big moves using their salaries. This stuff about Melnyk and budget is bunk, it's to try and improve the team. Say what you want but Dorion strikes me as a high energy guy that will be willing to try some bold moves to improve. Let's let it play out

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Dude, Ales Hemsky almost got us to the playoffs. Oops, I meant Scott Gomez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad