Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I personally wouldn't bring back the 2D logo. It's kinda cool still seeing people wear them and it has a certain vintage or like OG type feel to it. I rather not see it being spammed everytime I go to a game it would lose that feel. The O logo is so old that I don't mind seeing it back or just rebrand with something new and a fresh

Agreed.

Let's move forward, the 2D logo is great but it had it's time.

Unless it's on that sexy deep red jersey Jerk Store made, that is one HAWT jersey.

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
I'd expect something like this to open the season

Boedker-Duchene-Dzingel
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Tkachuk-White-Pyatt
Paajvarvi-Brown-(XXX)
XXX=Paul, or Formenton, or Batherson, or McCormick, or Chlapik....whoever steps up in that last spot

On the off chance all three of Tkachuk, Brown, and White all make the team, I think you have to play them on the same line. Live through the growing pains and let them develop chemistry. It could pay really big dividends down the road. Imagine in two or three years:

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Formenton-Pageau-Batherson

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
On the off chance all three of Tkachuk, Brown, and White all make the team, I think you have to play them on the same line. Live through the growing pains and let them develop chemistry. It could pay really big dividends down the road. Imagine in two or three years:

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White

In training camp I would try:
Dzingel-Duchene-Batherson
Tkachuk-Brown-Stone
Formenton-Paul-White
Tambellini-Pageau-Gagne

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Is that for this year? Because you're missing 6 forwards on 1-way deals

I was focusing on training camp. I was interested to see how some of the lines worked in scrimmages and pre-season games. I would have to give more thought to the lines if we are talking about regular season though. Given that we haven't signed any more players there could be a handful of prospects make the team and the prospects I listed should be given fairly serious looks.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I was focusing on training camp. I was interested to see how some of the lines worked in scrimmages and pre-season games. I would have to give more thought to the lines if we are talking about regular season though. Given that we haven't signed any more players there could be a handful of prospects make the team and the prospects I listed should be given fairly serious looks.
For sure.

But at no time will we have 8 rookies in the lineup at the same time. Probably closer to 2 at the start of the season.

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Boedker-JGP-Ryan
Pyatt-Smith-??
MSP-??-??
McCormick

I think those 10 spots are spoken for. No clue what's going on with Gaborik so I'll leave him out. That leaves 3 spots for the group of:

Batherson/Brown/Chlapik/Tkachuk/White/Carey/Formenton/Paul/Tambellini/Gagne.

I think White has an edge heading into camp, and think Carey also may have a leg up as well. Will be interesting to see where they go with it.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Don't forget Boedker :)

Those were pre-season lines for training camp. My guess is that the forwards competing for open spots will be Tkachuk, White, Brown, Paul, Batherson, Formenton, Chlapik, Gagne, Tambellini and McCormick.

The forwards on 1 way contracts are Stone, Duchene, Boedker, Dzingel, Pageau, Smith, Ryan, Pyatt and Paajarvi. Gaborik is also on contract but I think he will be injured to start the year so his spot is open. If no other player gets traded, that would leave up to 4 forward spots available. I think the top candidates to take those spots are Tkachuk, White, Brown and Paul. Formenton, Batherson and Chlapik are in the second group for me and then the dark horses are Gagne and Tambellini. McCormick is there because of his contract.

The three top six forwards are Stone, Duchene and Dzingel, although Dzingel could get pushed to the bottom six. The rest are just bottom six forwards. That leaves 3 top six forward spots open and one 12/13 forward spot. Part of the min focus is finding linemates for Stone and Duchene. Stone needs a LW and C, and Duchene needs a LW and RW.

Stone and Brown seem like a good match so the key will be finding a LW for that line. Using prospects the options would be one of: Tkachuk, Formenton, Gagne, Tambellini or Paul.

Duchene needs a LW and RW so using prospects he could play with some combination of: Tkachuk, White, Formenton, Batherson, Gagne, Tambellini or Paul.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Just for fun but what’s the opinion on a Karlsson for Seguin trade? Both UFA’s after this season. Both players sign with the team theyre heading to.

Reactions: NorthCoast

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
For sure.

But at no time will we have 8 rookies in the lineup at the same time. Probably closer to 2 at the start of the season.

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Boedker-JGP-Ryan
Pyatt-Smith-??
MSP-??-??
McCormick

I think those 10 spots are spoken for. No clue what's going on with Gaborik so I'll leave him out. That leaves 3 spots for the group of:

Batherson/Brown/Chlapik/Tkachuk/White/Carey/Formenton/Paul/Tambellini/Gagne.

I think White has an edge heading into camp, and think Carey also may have a leg up as well. Will be interesting to see where they go with it.

Part of it will be influenced by what ever the point of this season is. Players like Carey aren't long term pieces so there is a question of whether to just fill out the roster or to give spots to prospects. Considering that we don't have our first round pick this year it seems like the only way to have success is to give prospects opportunities and hope they can somehow perform. This might be risky for their long term development, but this management group has basically left no other option available.

The key forward prospects are Tkachuk, White, Brown, Batherson and Formenton. I think they are trying to build around them. Formenton will go back to the OHL if he doesn't make the team and the rest can go to the AHL so if they aren't ready right away they could take spots part way through the season. Paul basically needs to make the team here to stay relevant and McCormick's contract likely gets him a serious look. They are both 4th liners/extra forwards here so they can be kept around as 13 and 14 and still leave spots open for some prospects. Gagne and Tambellini are interesting dark horse prospects give their size, speed and shooting ability. They are also older so they need to prove themselves soon to be kept around in the organization.

I think the rookie tournament will give us a good look at where some of the prospects are at and whether they are close to pushing for NHL roles. It is interesting to start thinking of line combinations and which prospects match up with some core players.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seguin would be a great guy to get for sure. Still if we're dealing Karlsson to Dallas I want it to be Heiskanen coming back.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Seguin makes no sense, he is not extending here. If there is a Seguin for Karlsson trade, the only way it makes sense is if Seguin is moved to a 3rd team in order to subsidize the cost of Dallas acquiring Karlsson, in which case they are a worse team since they'll have pretty much nobody down the middle.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
It'd be cool but I'd rather they split time with vets and when this is their team in 3-5 years, and/if they've cracked the roster, they can play together.

The vets will season them and teach them, and help makeup for their learning. If we had 1 rookie on every line, thatd be cool. Maybe by thr end of the year.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Just tear this down to its core and rebuild for the next 2 years ie leafs, hope for a lottery pick or two, sell of your assets for young players and picks, insulate your young players and let them develop properly in their respective leagues. Come back in 2-3 years with a young core ready to contend.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Just tear this down to its core and rebuild for the next 2 years ie leafs, hope for a lottery pick or two, sell of your assets for young players and picks, insulate your young players and let them develop properly in their respective leagues. Come back in 2-3 years with a young core ready to contend.

You mean the potential lottery pick that we don't own this year ? If were tearing it down were probably looking at a 5+ year rebuild, because we have to start next year at the 2020 draft and we don't have the kind of prospects that could fill in Stone, Duchene, and Karlsson's positions nor would we acquire that caliber of prospect from any of the trades other than Karlsson's trade not to mention our non existent goalie prospect pool other than Gustavsson.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
You mean the potential lottery pick that we don't own this year ? If were tearing it down were probably looking at a 5+ year rebuild, because we have to start next year at the 2020 draft and we don't have the kind of prospects that could fill in Stone, Duchene, and Karlsson's positions nor would we acquire that caliber of prospect from any of the trades other than Karlsson's trade not to mention our non existent goalie prospect pool other than Gustavsson.

No its not. This prospect pool is good enough to take some spots plus the return of getting those assets back and not to mention a top pick in 2020.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Rebuilds don't work, and who is going to pay around here to watch that? They wouldn't even go to a 2nd round playoff game, but they are going to watch hopeless crap for 2-3 years? Wrong market.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Rebuilds don't work, and who is going to pay around here to watch that? They wouldn't even go to a 2nd round playoff game, but they are going to watch hopeless crap for 2-3 years? Wrong market.
Hahahaha. What?

Toronto, Washington, LA, Tampa, Chicago, Dallas, Edmonton, STL, NJD, Winnipeg, Vancouver.

All good teams that have rebuilt in the last 10 years. The fans would rather watch an exciting young team with an upward trajectory and an air of optimism, than some recycled trash that may win a few games and squeak into the postseason, but lacks any kind of sustainability. That's the true "hopeless crap" that you allude to.

Attendance sucked in the playoffs because everyone knew it was an aberration and the team would be in the dumpster the next season. The fans are sick of this garbage iteration of the team. 4 good players (1 great player), a bunch of complimentary guys you can find on any team in the league, and that's it. No one special. No one to put them over the top. How do you get those talents, you ask? Suck for a few years and draft high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Wood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad