Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2019-2020 (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hey...how about that Bert. I agree. Completely. Tierney has two solid seasons under his belt, plays PK and some PP, is a centre, 25 and still cost controlled. To be honest I dont see a need to move him, but if we do it should be for more than some of the stuff posted in here

It was bound to happen one day! I just think its better asset managment to move Tierney as he demands more in a trade and to extend Pageau. I like the way Pageau plays more too, harder to play against, maybe not as much offensive creativity but I think he will be the perfect third line center for a young team.

It's a young mans game now...and players are declining faster than ever. But yeah not every player is going to develop at the same rate, just like not every player sticks in the NHL.

Its not as much of a young mans game as people seem to think, yeah players play well earlier but it doesnt mean they hit their prime right away. Look at the recent cup winners all heavy veteran teams that have been battle tested. The lightning and leafs are younger than most and have not had the same success in the playoffs. It takes a while for players to get there, that really hasnt changed.

Kirill Kaprizov
Ryan Donato
Luke Kunin
Jordan Greenway
Dumba

I doubt the Wild want to move these guys

No and add Ericksson Ek to that list too but other than those guys id have to agree everyone should be on the block with that team.

Reactions: innocent bystander

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Friedman saying Minnesota "will listen to everything" makes it sound a rebuild is coming their way. Makes sense.

Anyone we could target?

Assuming they are entering some kind of re-tool/rebuilf phase they'll want to keep the pieces the Sens would have an interest in.

That being said, I'd give up a stupid package for Dumba. Still young (25), offensive defenceman, Right shot, PP weapon. This guy just fills so many needs for this team. He's also locked up for 4 years, so no threat of him walking out the door before FYOUS.

I'm not sure why a team with as much dead cap as them would have any interest in moving their young/cost controlled pieces, so that leaves takes their young forwards off the table.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Teams in bad situations listen to everything and then opt not to do much. Maybe they end up moving out a third tier player in a change of scenery deal to try and send a message and shake up the team.

They aren't going to move Dumba or any of their cost controlled young players.

Brodin makes sense because he is a UFA in 2 seasons and has more value now with 2 years left than if they can't re-sign him and he has to be dealt as a rental.

Koivu (if he will waive) and Staal both make sense to deal at the deadline. (Staal has two years left, so not a complete rental).

Most of their key players have NMCs. Zucker would be a guy they could move if they really wanted to shake things up and get rid of a core guy who has been around for a while. He only has a 10 team NTC. At the same time, he was heavily shopped by the last regime and unless he was part of the rumored trade that Kessel mixed, they couldn't find anything they liked.

I don't think there are many fits with Ottawa.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah Brodin is probably the only really interesting player for us who we could target (no ntc or nmc haha) but he doesn't really fit our current structure: we don't need another LD.

Eric Staal has been beasting in Minnesota, no good for the tank!

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Yeah Brodin is probably the only really interesting player for us who we could target (no ntc or nmc haha) but he doesn't really fit our current structure: we don't need another LD.

Eric Staal has been beasting in Minnesota, no good for the tank!

Acquiring Brodin right now would be took risky.

He has 2 years left. So we can't officially extend him, and he doesn't have enough term to fit into our long term plans.

If we were contending, it wouldn't matter because he'd be useful to us regardless of whether he'd walk.

The two deals I could think of, would be one of our young guys for one of the young guys the previous regime acquired (Donato or Fiala). Or, something around one of our bad contracts for Rask.

Donato is interesting because I remember before Boston acquired Coyle, there were some rumors of us scouting Boston or even trading Pageau there. I think they came from a beat writer or someone who isn't a top "insider", so they may not have been true. It makes me wonder if we scouted Donato last year since that's who the Bruins parted with to get a center.

Boedker for Rask might be good for Minnesota if they are at the point where they just want to free themselves of Rask's term. I'm not sure the Senators would do that though. Rask has some upside if he can put it together again, but we don't need him, and two more years at 4 million for a player who was really bad last year is risky. Minnesota obviously wouldn't want Boedker, but it would be a cap trade. They'd be taking Boedker to subsidize the 1 of the 3 years left on the Rask contract.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I wasn't able to catch the game.

Did one of our forwards get hurt or ejected? I noticed Tierney played 21 minutes. Possible showcase?

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I've been thinking about a Jake Allen/Craig Anderson swap lately. Only 400k apart in cap hit. Blues could use a backup who's not terrible, and would love to get out from Allen's contract. He's signed for next year. We could run Nilsson/Allen this season, and then buy out Allen's contract in the summer, assuming no one wants him. Yes, I know, we don't have any money, but it's a fairly cheap buyout.

I'm just wondering how we could set it up to get a first out of them, either in 2020 or 2021.

Anderson and ______ for Allen and a 1st?

Reactions: NB613

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
As it stands - we have more available cap space than salaries for next season.

That’s absurd.

I was trying to find out when the Seattle expansion draft will be to no avail but in terms of “weaponized cap space” this organization is looking very good for next season.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

That’s absurd.

I was trying to find out when the Seattle expansion draft will be to no avail but in terms of “weaponized cap space” this organization is looking very good for next season.

You are assuming that Dorion has any clue with regards to weaponizing it. And that Melnyk would allow it.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
You are assuming that Dorion has any clue with regards to weaponizing it. And that Melnyk would allow it.

Well I’m assuming we’re not going to re-sign half of the UFA’s. Even if we commit 15 million to keep Tierney, Brown, Pageau, DeMelo and _____ we’d still have to spend about 7 million to get to the floor.

While Melnyk is a cheapo he does have to spend the bare minimum- and Dorion did a fantastic job of finding expiring contracts.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Well I’m assuming we’re not going to re-sign half of the UFA’s. Even if we commit 15 million to keep Tierney, Brown, Pageau, DeMelo and _____ we’d still have to spend about 7 million to get to the floor.

While Melnyk is a cheapo he does have to spend the bare minimum- and Dorion did a fantastic job of finding expiring contracts.

Finding expiring contracts is very different than weaponizing cap space.

Reactions: h2owned

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What? Wasn't he directly responsible for 2 goals against?

I thought it was one of his not so good games this season..

A goal went off his stick into the net, it happens. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at Tierney. Not only does he seem to get an short handed breakaway every game, but he always seems to be involved in our offensive pressure.

He’s looked like a player, and given our roster it’s good to see. Others may see or feel different.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
A goal went off his stick into the net, it happens. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at Tierney. Not only does he seem to get an short handed breakaway every game, but he always seems to be involved in our offensive pressure.

He’s looked like a player, and given our roster it’s good to see. Others may see or feel different.

Yeah I've been on Tierney's bandwagon since before we acquired him. He's not as good a defensive player as I'd hoped, but there's some offense there. I dunno if offense is even the right word. He's not much of a finisher and is really lacking a few tools, but he's just so damn good on the cycle in the offensive zone, that it inevitably creates scoring chances if he's paired with more skilled players. And then of course just spending time in the offensive zone is its own form of defense.

It's just unfortunate that we won't likely be able to keep both him and Pageau. Regardless, whichever one we end up trading is going to fetch a much better return than most fans seem to expect.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I made this proposal on the edmonton ottawa trade thread.

Tierney and Szwarz for Gagner, pool party and a 2nd in 2021.

Tierney and Swarz make 3.4M in real dollars. Gagner makes 3.2M Sens save 200k.
Poolparty can come over or stay this season in europe.

Give Gagner a chance to shine and flip at the deadline if possible. ideally for another 2021 2nd.
Trade 2 seconds for a late first and then we are looking at 4 1st round picks and 6 2nd round picks over the next two drafts.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I made this proposal on the edmonton ottawa trade thread.

Tierney and Szwarz for Gagner, pool party and a 2nd in 2021.

Tierney and Swarz make 3.4M in real dollars. Gagner makes 3.2M Sens save 200k.
Poolparty can come over or stay this season in europe.

Give Gagner a chance to shine and flip at the deadline if possible. ideally for another 2021 2nd.
Trade 2 seconds for a late first and then we are looking at 4 1st round picks and 6 2nd round picks over the next two drafts.
How you have the third pick ?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

That’s absurd.

I think its been said before but we didn't do it this offseason and we had some great opportunities

Marleau was sitting there with a first round pick. He was only making 1.25 million so the bigger issue with his buyout would have been his cap hit which we don't even care about. The smarter thing would have been to make that trade and get a first round pick then sign either or both of Ennis and Hainsey

So yeah we aren't going to weaponize cap space and if we do it will be more like the Callahan deal where we are actually saving money so it reduces the return drastically

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
How you have the third pick ?

Currently
2020 - 2 firsts, 3 second round picks
2021 - 1 first, 3 second round picks

Add a second round pick for Tierney, flip Gagner at TDL for another second round pick and that gives five second round picks. Flip two second round picks at draft for a late first round pick.

End result
2020 - Two first round picks and three second round picks
2021 -Two first round picks and three second round picks

Not to mention anything we can get for Pageau, Hainsley, Namestikov etc

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Currently
2020 - 2 firsts, 3 second round picks
2021 - 1 first, 3 second round picks

Add a second round pick for Tierney, flip Gagner at TDL for another second round pick and that gives five second round picks. Flip two second round picks at draft for a late first round pick.

End result
2020 - Two first round picks and three second round picks
2021 -Two first round picks and three second round picks

Not to mention anything we can get for Pageau, Hainsley, Namestikov etc
Ok I have not understand that the 4 first was in two year, I thinking you talk about the second round. I would prefer 3 first this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad