Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Nope, our third and fourth lines, as well as our bottom pairings are flush.
There's still room to acquire a contract like Clarkson to give us cushion on the cap floor throughout the season and trade deadline. If Dorion doesn't get a big enough cushion, he'll have to hold onto expiring contracts at the deadline since he'll fall beneath the cap floor. Instead of holding onto expiring contracts, he could be forced to take on contracts from other teams to be cap compliant and maybe end up with another bad contract OR another expiring contract that can't be moved in deadline deals.

Alternatively, we could shop around being the 3rd team in a deal like Vegas was with Brassard. Use some of the cap space and pick up an asset or two, plus get more cap cushion.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
There's still room to acquire a contract like Clarkson to give us cushion on the cap floor throughout the season and trade deadline. If Dorion doesn't get a big enough cushion, he'll have to hold onto expiring contracts at the deadline since he'll fall beneath the cap floor. Instead of holding onto expiring contracts, he could be forced to take on contracts from other teams to be cap compliant and maybe end up with another bad contract OR another expiring contract that can't be moved in deadline deals.

Alternatively, we could shop around being the 3rd team in a deal like Vegas was with Brassard. Use some of the cap space and pick up an asset or two, plus get more cap cushion.

We just need to add a sweetener to be able to get a contract like a Clarkson.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Pretty sure he didn't have arb rights, so he was pretty limited in what he could do.

Dougie Wilson strong arms his way into a deal again. The things I'd do to get this guy to take the Sens POHO job...
There have been lots of players in that position who haven't signed for that cheap though.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If there's a Sens trade coming, it probably is involving one of our goalies. Don't need all 3 of Andy, Nilsson and Condon, especially considering we also have Hogberg, Gustavsson and Daccord in the minors.

If Dorion was smart he'd trade Andy for whatever asset he can get, then use the cap space opened up to take on a bad contract for additional assets.

But unfortunately he's not, so I'm expecting him to package a pick/prospect with Condon to get rid of him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If there's a Sens trade coming, it probably is involving one of our goalies. Don't need all 3 of Andy, Nilsson and Condon, especially considering we also have Hogberg, Gustavsson and Daccord in the minors.

If Dorion was smart he'd trade Andy for whatever asset he can get, then use the cap space opened up to take on a bad contract for additional assets.

But unfortunately he's not, so I'm expecting him to package a pick/prospect with Condon to get rid of him.
Its depressing but accurate. He cant even rebuild properly.

Reactions: Cosmix

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
If we can find a suitor for Andy or Condon+Smith I'd imagine we can take Clarkson with Gusev.

I don't know is the team sees Andy/Nilsson as a tandem next season or if Nilsson is the clear cut #1 to Hogberg as 2.

Reactions: Beville

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think they should ride the Andy/Nilsson combo (assuming Condon is moved) until the TDL, and if there's a trade request for Andy, consider it, if Hogberg is deemed ready to back up for the remainder of the season.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
If we can find a suitor for Andy or Condon+Smith I'd imagine we can take Clarkson with Gusev.

I don't know is the team sees Andy/Nilsson as a tandem next season or if Nilsson is the clear cut #1 to Hogberg as 2.

I will be SHOCKED if we are in on gusev. I know he wouldnt stay when hes a UFA but he would be fun for a couple years.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
What's weird to me is that there has been essentially NO buzz on them looking to trade the Clarkson contract. I thought that was a necessity for them but apparently not. Maybe they move out a D like Holden and just sneak by the cap then use the LTIR room provided by Clarkson if needed.

Reactions: NB613

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What's weird to me is that there has been essentially NO buzz on them looking to trade the Clarkson contract. I thought that was a necessity for them but apparently not. Maybe they move out a D like Holden and just sneak by the cap then use the LTIR room provided by Clarkson if needed.

This seems to be exactly what is happening. So much for the panic in Vegas.

I don't even think they need to move Holden (I'm sure they want to, but that's another story all together). Gusev out (and maybe Subban, depending on his arbitration settlement) may be the only ones that need to be moved after all is said and done. It's pretty telling that Vegas doesn't seem to see themselves as being in a bind when you compare it to a team like the Leafs who have made major changes in the name of saving a bit of a cap.

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I recall a quote from PD pre draft about how Sens fans were about to see the direction the team was going to head.

Are we done ? Thompson, Pinto, Z, and a lottery pick goaltender?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gusev is apparently looking for 4 million a year.

That's out of our price range no chance we get him
Thats pretty sad that we can't do that... We spend 3 on Boedker and 3.25 on Smith but can't bet 4 to land what could be the next Panarin?

And at that we woul bump a ELC off the roster with him so it would be an extra 3 not 4 when you factor that in.

Hun

Apr 8, 2019
I recall a quote from PD pre draft about how Sens fans were about to see the direction the team was going to head.

Are we done ? Thompson, Pinto, Z, and a lottery pick goaltender?
Z was on the draft? :laugh:
If you do not see the direction, then this is your problem.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014

I don’t think PD has what it takes to effectively trade for a contract like Clarkson’s. Vegas would bend him over, plus we would have to give up a draft pick.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Thats pretty sad that we can't do that... We spend 3 on Boedker and 3.25 on Smith but can't bet 4 to land what could be the next Panarin?

And at that we woul bump a ELC off the roster with him so it would be an extra 3 not 4 when you factor that in.
Do you think Dorion is worried or has knowledge that Gusev wouldn't want to play in Ottawa?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

I would take a chance on Gusev but it's certainly a risk. Panarin came to the NHL at 24 and played two years on an ELC. Gusev is going to play his first NHL game at 27 and would be starting at $4M.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The Senators are a very poor fit as a trade partner for Vegas. The Golden Knights need teams to take on money in trade and the Sens simply don't add payroll in any significant fashion.

So if Gusev wants 4M salary then the Sens would want to send that much money - or more! - back to Vegas in trade. That's just not going to work, and that's assuming the Senators are interested in the player to begin with.

Either way, Vegas have relieved their cap crunch. They're already compliant - they can submit an opening night roster of 86.75M and as of right now their 22 man projected roster comes in at 86.1M. Super close, but compliant. Moreover, dumping Clarkson doesn't even benefit them all that much. They have two options as far as I can see: one is just trading Gusev for futures and moving on. The second option is trading Eakin for futures, signing Gusev and promoting Cody Glass into the third line center spot. Both options are essentially equal on the cap.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Do you think Dorion is worried or has knowledge that Gusev wouldn't want to play in Ottawa?
Honestly i think he could use ottawa as a jumping board to maximize his next contract as he would get lots of oppertunity.

We could sell ourselves as a temporary home for him to prove himself and we then trade him to a contender assuming he doesnt want to commit to us.

Like what Radulov did,

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The Senators are a very poor fit as a trade partner for Vegas. The Golden Knights need teams to take on money in trade and the Sens simply don't add payroll in any significant fashion.

So if Gusev wants 4M salary then the Sens would want to send that much money - or more! - back to Vegas in trade. That's just not going to work, and that's assuming the Senators are interested in the player to begin with.

Either way, Vegas have relieved their cap crunch. They're already compliant - they can submit an opening night roster of 86.75M and as of right now their 22 man projected roster comes in at 86.1M. Super close, but compliant. Moreover, dumping Clarkson doesn't even benefit them all that much. They have two options as far as I can see: one is just trading Gusev for futures and moving on. The second option is trading Eakin for futures, signing Gusev and promoting Cody Glass into the third line center spot. Both options are essentially equal on the cap.

Didn't Ottawa just get Zaitsev for 5 more years when they could've walked away from Ceci? Ottawa will occasionally spend money, but usually only in the dumbest ways imaginable.

Reactions: derriko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad