Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not gonna happen of course, but let's say Winnipeg gives up on signing Laine and are listening to trade offers. What gets it done from Ottawa? I'm guessing Batherson/JBD/ San Jose 1st at a minimum.

They're going to be gunning for Chabot or Tkachuk, and maybe even the SJ first rounder on top of that, to move Laine. Winnipeg isn't stupid...they're not going to take a "handful of assets" for their stud scorer.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
They're going to be gunning for Chabot or Tkachuk, and maybe even the SJ first rounder on top of that, to move Laine. Winnipeg isn't stupid...they're not going to take a "handful of assets" for their stud scorer.

Well they passed on Mark Stone to keep Jack Roslovic so not sure I can agree on the second part of your post :sarcasm:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am going to see how Pageau and Tierney start the year and in what role to make a call on who I'd trade at the tdl or before.
I think both players would have depth C value to a contender. Based on what Pageau has said it very much looks like he wants to stay.
His salary this year is 3.4. I would have no problem giving him 3.5 -3.75 AAV over 5. He would be 32 when that contract ends.

Tierney should bring back more in a trade given his age (~ 2 years younger) and still an RFA for another year I believe. (40 + pts last 2 years). I think Tierney becomes the more expensive option and would want more term.

I really like Pageau and what he brings to the team. I think he is an ideal kind of leader that leaves it on the ice and plays over his size / weight. He has also scored some pretty clutch goals and has that in him. His work ethic is outstanding and he is one of the best PKers in the league imo.

Pageau is more of a 3rd line C , while Tierney is more of a 2/3 tweener with a little more offensive touch than Pageau. Defensively Pageau is much better. I think Pageau would accept any role in the bottom 6 and play hard at it. I see Tierney (especially with a longer term contract) blocking the advancement of White, Brown, Norris more than Pageau. I also think Pageau could shift to the wing if necessary more seamlessly than Tierney.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Pageau is a solid third line center. Hes just the kind of depth player that you win with. Hes tenacious, busts his ass, and can explode offensively when the going gets tough.

And more importantly, he seems to want to stay in ottawa. The senators desperately need that kind of atmosphere in the locker room. Like they had with Phillips, alfie, Neil, hossa and redden.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I am going to see how Pageau and Tierney start the year and in what role to make a call on who I'd trade at the tdl or before.
I think both players would have depth C value to a contender. Based on what Pageau has said it very much looks like he wants to stay.
His salary this year is 3.4. I would have no problem giving him 3.5 -3.75 AAV over 5. He would be 32 when that contract ends.

Tierney should bring back more in a trade given his age (~ 2 years younger) and still an RFA for another year I believe. (40 + pts last 2 years). I think Tierney becomes the more expensive option and would want more term.

I really like Pageau and what he brings to the team. I think he is an ideal kind of leader that leaves it on the ice and plays over his size / weight. He has also scored some pretty clutch goals and has that in him. His work ethic is outstanding and he is one of the best PKers in the league imo.

Pageau is more of a 3rd line C , while Tierney is more of a 2/3 tweener with a little more offensive touch than Pageau. Defensively Pageau is much better. I think Pageau would accept any role in the bottom 6 and play hard at it. I see Tierney (especially with a longer term contract) blocking the advancement of White, Brown, Norris more than Pageau. I also think Pageau could shift to the wing if necessary more seamlessly than Tierney.

If we re-sign Pageau I think it will cost a minimum of 4.5M+ over 4 years, maybe 5. If he hits the open market, it would not surprise me to see him something ridiculous like 6M x 6 years. In the past, 4M has been the floor for really well regarded veteran 3Cs who are UFAs. Contracts are going up, Hayes got north of 7. A team is going to get hard after Pageau because of his reputation as a warrior who can match-up in the toughest playoff games against the Crosby's of the league.

It's the reason why I think he's gone at the trade deadline. If he'd sign for Zack Smith money, I think we'd keep him. I don't think that Pageau would sign that contract.

If Brown, Norris, or Chlapik can establish themselves as regular NHLers, in 2020-21 we'll have Tierney, White, Anisimov, and one of those aforementioned prospects down the middle. None of those guys (short of Brown if he hits his mythical but unlikely ceiling) are top line C material, but I think that's enough 2/3/4 type centers that the Senators won't feel pressure to give Pageau top money and top term for his role.

We'll keep Tierney for 1 more RFA year after this season. The team will have an impossible time filling Pageau's former role because so few players play like him. It's probably not a good idea to pay him 5-6 million for 5-6 years as a budget team though. So if I'm right about what he'll command, it's probably the right play to move on at the trade deadline. Let Pageau play more offensive minutes this year to pump up his value and then hope at the deadline that we can get either a 1st, or two 2nds.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I’d move both for futures
The Sens should have multiple middle six forwards on the cusp with the tank job

Unless the forward projects a steady 50+ points then I’d move them for futures

Colin White should be this team’s long term 3C (with PK time and high ES to match up against top lines) ... that’s 18 a night
We need two offensive centers better then him to carry offensive situations

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’d move both for futures
The Sens should have multiple middle six forwards on the cusp with the tank job

Unless the forward projects a steady 50+ points then I’d move them for futures

Colin White should be this team’s long term 3C (with PK time and high ES to match up against top lines) ... that’s 18 a night
We need two offensive centers better then him to carry offensive situations

It’s possible White, Pager, and CT all make $4.75+ and play below the top two lines .

With a $65 million budget, that leaves $50 million for the rest of the team. I know it is not this simple ... but ..

Goalies = $7 mill
Bottom 3 forwards = $3 mill
Bottom 2 D = $2 mill

That’s only $38 million for the 6 top F and 4 top D or $3.8 million on average per player. Even moving to $75 million only average $4.8 million. I’m also short a roster player.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
It be stupid to spend money on Pageau and Tinery with White signed long term and the Sens having 10-15 bottom six options in house

You only sign centers long term that project to be better then White now

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Love Pageau, but I think he will be traded this year. If he can put together a relatively decent season - 15+ goals, 35+ points - I think he returns a first round pick. Pageau's a proven defensive centre with a bit of offence and playoff experience.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

Great post. Completely agree Pageau is one of the better penalty killing forwards in the league.

Don't think he'll sign for 3.75 though. I look at Cody Eakin's 3.85 as a starting point. Similar offensive numbers, but Pageau is the better defensive player. I'd be happy to get him long term for around 4.25. Wouldn't go much over that long term though.

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
Stay away from JGP long term... love what he's done for the franchise and the localness of him but his next contract will quickly become a problem. if you can get a 1st like armani said you take it and run!

Tierney can be a stop gap for 2 more years until Brown, White and Norris are your top 3 and you fill the 4th line with a cheap veteran

Reactions: h2owned and Cosmix

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Stay away from JGP long term... love what he's done for the franchise and the localness of him but his next contract will quickly become a problem. if you can get a 1st like armani said you take it and run!

Tierney can be a stop gap for 2 more years until Brown, White and Norris are your top 3 and you fill the 4th line with a cheap veteran
And Byfield too

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Pageau will get like a 4th round pick - not to many teams trade for mini CS before the playoffs.

I like him but his days here and numbered. Dorion put him in the ‘leadership’ category which in Ottawa Sens code means you are a FA and can shop around - you aren’t controlled anymore so the team moves on.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Pageau will get like a 4th round pick - not to many teams trade for mini CS before the playoffs.

I like him but his days here and numbered. Dorion put him in the ‘leadership’ category which in Ottawa Sens code means you are a FA and can shop around - you aren’t controlled anymore so the team moves on.
He'd get at least a 2nd. I'm pretty confident in that. But I hope we keep him long term. But yeah, anything over 4M is too much IMO.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

4th is way too low unless pageau has a horrible season

I think he gets a 2nd and depending on the market make a prospect with it

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Pageau is a playoff warrior and a great bottom 6 center when he's healthy

Boyle just went for a 2nd. Pageau should and will get more than him at the deadline.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wouldn't want Laine anyways, doesn't really fit with our team currently.

What does this mean? He is 20 and a super star forward talent. He is literally exactly what they are lacking.

just for fun, would you guys do Chabot + SJ 1st for Marner?

Absolutely not. Number 1 d men are way harder to find than top line wingers.

People that are scared to give Pageau a contract know he is 26 years old right? Came back incredibly early from a torn achilles. It takes a little while to come back from these types of things....

Reactions: Riceroni and NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad