Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'd rather have Brady than Laine. No, he doesn't have the elite shot, but he's better at just about everything else.

Laine is primed imo for a Bobby Ryan type career...those players generally don't age all that well. He's got lots of years left as he's young, but I would rather spend assets and cap on guys who can drive plays on their own and step up when needed most.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I’d offer some 5 piece combo of Formenton, Balcers, Chlapik, Abramov, Davidsson, Pinto, Wolanin, Thomson, JBD, Tierney, Pageau, Duclair, Top 10 protected 1st. Not willing to offer any of Brown, Norris, White, Chabot, Tkachuk.
WPG doesn't answer the phone in that case.

Reactions: Deku and Boud

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I shudder to think about the package Dorion might give up to get Laine. Hoping he's not interested at this time.

As for Backes, does he need to be protected in the expansion draft? If so I'd want nothing to do with him.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Laine is exactly the type of player the Senators should be after. A 20 year old, 40+ goal scorer? On a team that doesn't have any elite offensive forwards? Sign me up.

Plus, while we don't have superstar level prospects, we have a ton of depth and picks. Moving some of them should happen in the next 2 years anyway, since you only have space for so many prospects at a time.

I think the offer would have to be:

Tier A prospect: Batherson or Brannstrom
Useful roster player: Tierney, Wolanin or Jaros
Tier B prospect: Balcers, Davidsson, Chlapik or Abramov
1st round pick 2020 (SJ)
2nd round pick

Unfortunately, with our budget restrictions, I don't think it's in the cards.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
You wouldn't trade JBD for Laine? Lol

Probably not at this point there's either a problem with laine's attitude or other jet's players attitudes.

Not willing to trade a prospect with absolutely no knocks on him for Laine.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Laine is exactly the type of player the Senators should be after. A 20 year old, 40+ goal scorer? On a team that doesn't have any elite offensive forwards? Sign me up.

Plus, while we don't have superstar level prospects, we have a ton of depth and picks. Moving some of them should happen in the next 2 years anyway, since you only have space for so many prospects at a time.

1st round pick 2020 (SJ)
2nd round pick

I agree completely, but I think it's one year too early to be doing that kind of deal. If we were coming off of our tank year (the one where we actually have our 1st) and had just bagged a top 4 pick to add into the mix, going after a piece like Laine would be perfect. It would be the first true step towards turning the corner and becoming a good team again.

I just think it's a bit premature. We would also have another year to gauge the progress of all of our prospects that we just received from dealing the UFA's, and have a better idea of who you want to ship out and who you want to keep (because I think you're bang on that we're going to have to make a quantity for quality deal like that in the near future).

I really hope when the time comes for that there's no budget bullshit. Taking on a contract for a guy that can score like Laine should be an absolute no-brainer.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
So you don't want guys that can score 40 goals. Got it.

Well I'd get all uppity and complain about the 40 goal only being one season and reiterate there is a problem in Winnipeg and he is in a situation where he does not get a long with his team mates but what do I know one time he scored 40 goals.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Well I'd get all uppity and complain about the 40 goal only being one season and reiterate there is a problem in Winnipeg and he is in a situation where he does not get a long with his team mates but what do I know one time he scored 40 goals.

And 36 another time, and 30 another time.

For reference, the Senators haven't had a 30 goal scorer since the 2011-12 season.

I get your side of this, but you're missing the forest for the trees, imo. Guys who can score like Laine come around (maybe) once or twice a decade, if we could get him for a package where JBD is the centerpiece we should (and I hope would) jump on it.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I agree completely, but I think it's one year too early to be doing that kind of deal. If we were coming off of our tank year (the one where we actually have our 1st) and had just bagged a top 4 pick to add into the mix, going after a piece like Laine would be perfect. It would be the first true step towards turning the corner and becoming a good team again.

I just think it's a bit premature. We would also have another year to gauge the progress of all of our prospects that we just received from dealing the UFA's, and have a better idea of who you want to ship out and who you want to keep (because I think you're bang on that we're going to have to make a quantity for quality deal like that in the near future).

I really hope when the time comes for that there's no budget bull****. Taking on a contract for a guy that can score like Laine should be an absolute no-brainer.

This is true.

Next offseason, hopefully with Lafreniere/Byfield/Raymond in hand, we can swing for the fences on a big deal.

Need new ownership first!

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
He just turned 21 and has the most goals by a teenager in 30 years.

I know I posted how impressive he is on the main trade board thing is there literally is no knocks on JBD and I would not move him until evaluated at pro level.

He's probably one of our better prospects right now and is severely underrated.

We were in a situation where locker room cancer between Karlsson and Hoffman destroyed our team and are now.

This is Karlsson's and Hoffmans fault not melnyk's.

We can not afford to take a problem IF laine is the problem we can't even afford to take a chance on a problem player.

We can all say melnyk is an asshole and he's cheap but no f***ing way is Stone walking with Karl and Hoff here @ 9mill and Duchene same with Karl hoff amd Stoner here.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

For reference, the Senators haven't had a 30 goal scorer since the 2011-12 season.

I get your side of this, but you're missing the forest for the trees, imo. Guys who can score like Laine come around (maybe) once or twice a decade, if we could get him for a package where JBD is the centerpiece we should (and I hope would) jump on it.

Idk that I am my friend you said it yourself we almost it to the cup finals a couple years ago and didn't even have a 30 goal scorer.

I feel like we have the talent to build something similar to san jose sharks with a little bit more la kings mixed in there.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

People think it's a given that Batherson will score 30+ goals and Brannstrom 50+ points.

No one seems to realize how rare those players actually are.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

1st round pick 2020 (SJ)
2nd round pick

This is pretty close with what I think the package would look like, except I think the secondary prospect might be better. We probably have to give up one of Batherson or Brannstrom who seem to be our top prospects, and then one of either Brown, JBD, or Thomson.

Keep in mind, I am not suggesting this trade. Just stating what I think it might take if we were actually ridiculous enough to do it.

Batherson
Thomson or JBD
Pageau
SJS 2020 1st

All those pieces aside from maybe Pageau are worth a 1st depending on the Jets evaluation of each prospect. The Jets went for help down the middle last trade deadline, they get Pageau early instead. I doubt we're going to re-sign him.

Batherson gives the Jets an NHL ready top 6 forward with 2 years of his ELC still in tact. That's the big piece of the trade for them.

The other option would be our 2020 1st and a few pieces for Laine. Similar to the Kessel to TOR deal.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
People think it's a given that Batherson will score 30+ goals and Brannstrom 50+ points.

No one seems to realize how rare those players actually are.

Batherson has a good chance to be dzingle or better. If you listen to scouts they feel players that played in the world juniors generally have a good chance to be pro's. I'm not saying 30 goals but 2 way players seem to be big for our team directive and he seems to check all the boxes to have 3rd line downside.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Also, just to clarify, no package suggested is going to look like full value.

If WPG is trading Laine, and there's not a perfect situation where they can do a change of scenery thing for another superstar, they won't get full value. The most similar situation would be BOS getting a 1st/1st/2nd for Kessel. Yes, it worked out amazing for them because Toronto finished with the 2nd overall pick, but it's not as though Toronto was a lock to pick 2nd overall. They finished pretty low the season before with a top 5 pick, but prior to that they were in that sort of 10-15 type territory for a few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad