Speculation: Trade Rumors Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I give props to BM for a few things this year...1)being patient (which he/we were lucky to be able to do with how our conference played) 2)admitting his mistake and fixing it. and 3)getting rid of those "mistakes" and getting players who "fit".....we needed guys who went to the dirty areas and had some sandpaper...we were waaay to easy to play against and the games against arizona were the perfect example of that...the killer D's (that whole team) pranced around the honda center ice without a care or fear in the world, and not only did we not have a answer we didnt have a response....IMO the garbutt deal is very underrated

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Well, you're right in that if you pass now, the same deal may not be there later. But based on Bob's past philosophy of keeping the team intact for the playoffs, I doubt he would pull the trigger on that kind of deal before summer.

Yeah, but the equivalent of a Carter trade isn't going to happen if he hews that way all the time. If such an opportunity is out there, then he's going to have to make that agonizing decision when it shows itself.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
I give props to BM for a few things this year...1)being patient (which he/we were lucky to be able to do with how our conference played) 2)admitting his mistake and fixing it. and 3)getting rid of those "mistakes" and getting players who "fit".....we needed guys who went to the dirty areas and had some sandpaper...we were waaay to easy to play against and the games against arizona were the perfect example of that...the killer D's (that whole team) pranced around the honda center ice without a care or fear in the world, and not only did we not have a answer we didnt have a response....IMO the garbutt deal is very underrated

Yep... I agree. A much more suited version of Hagelin for the Ducks. Speed AND grit. A player that is not afraid of going into the dirty areas. And apparently a better goal scorer as well. And now, he also is starting to get some PK-time.

Last edited:

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
cap reality is that they will need to move one of the 4 (Lindholm, Fowler, Depres, or Theodore)

Here is the issue.....

Fowler has 2 full years left---then he is a UFA
Lindholm finishing his ELC--likely getting a 6yr deal
Depres signed a new deal that takes effect next year that has a cap hit of around $3.7M
Theodore is in 2nd ELC year next year.

I am thinking Fowler is the one available because when Fowler is done, Theodore could step in.

At the draft Fowler+ for Gorges (50% retained)+ other stuff. Gorges can fill that bottom pair role until Theodore is ready

buffalo fans are funny lol

mytduxfan*

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ducks-705136-murray-deadline.html

Stephens say we had key scouts not even in Buffalo game but also Tampa-Pittsburgh.

He mentions Killorn - i doubt TB are shopping him but i would absolutely love to get him. He plays Ducks hockey

I very much doubt that Killhorn is available prior to the off-season. Maybe if we're willing to give up Vatanen, but I think that would be a bad move. Personally, I'm a Bozak fan, but my 2nd option would be going after a rental, and my 3rd would be standing pat. I just really don't like the look of our D without Vatanen.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Off-topic: Roman Polak fetched quite a haul... probably more indicative of Wilson's inability to gauge player value though.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Woof that's a lot for a lower-end rental. Well, Spaling's in there too, but he probably didn't affect things a ton. Have to hope it's due to a huge lack of defensemen on the rental market and that forwards will be priced a lot better.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I would have thought the return on Polak + Spaling would more like a 2nd + mid/late pick at most.

The seconds being in 2017 and 2018 hurt it a bit, but yeah, not this much.

OTOH, Polak might be the best rental defenseman that moves. Doesn't really justify it a lot, but the Leafs had some leverage. Can only hurt teams looking for a rental defenseman, like the Kings.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The seconds being in 2017 and 2018 hurt it a bit, but yeah, not this much.

OTOH, Polak might be the best rental defenseman that moves. Doesn't really justify it a lot, but the Leafs had some leverage. Can only hurt teams looking for a rental defenseman, like the Kings.

That's a good point, there aren't nearly as many rental D on the block this year compared to the forward group, so the Leafs definitely gained some leverage there.

mytduxfan*

Woof that's a lot for a lower-end rental. Well, Spaling's in there too, but he probably didn't affect things a ton. Have to hope it's due to a huge lack of defensemen on the rental market and that forwards will be priced a lot better.

Vatanen better get us a tonne in the summer then.

I would have thought the return on Polak + Spaling would more like a 2nd + mid/late pick at most.

TOR were asking for a 2nd. Must have had a tonne of interest then and SJ were desperate enough to secure the deal.

WrecKed

Jun 20, 2013
Manitoba
Ladd would be perfect for the Ducks to get before the deadline. Plays Ducks style hockey and would look good on the left wing next to Kesler and Silfverberg. Just sick of these inflated deadline prices for rental players and don't want to see BMGM overpay. But I think the best thing about adding Ladd would be the fact that the Kings or Hawks wouldn't get him.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Thing is, we don't have the luxury of giving the assets to go all-in without messing with what we have currently - our best assets are the ones playing for us.

1st rounder's likely not in play. BM doesn't like giving it up if he doesn't have another (as we all know), and I don't think we'll get another. Vatanen and Andersen are certainly worth a middle-high 1st, but we need both of them for the playoffs, unless Gibson goes ape in the next two months. So we don't have the assets to give up for another 1st.

Without our first rounder, Vatanen and Andersen in play, we'd have to give up Montour (god forbid Theo's somehow on the block for the deadline) or something, but who's going to give up a big piece for a prospect who hasn't played in the NHL yet, even if he's destroying the AHL right now?

At most, I think we'll get a middle or bottom six player. We shouldn't be paying the price for Ladd anyway.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That's what I'm saying, go all-in, use the first if you have to. Don't know if it's plausible but it's what I'd rather do than paying a premium for lower end guys. Either that or go to the bargain bin and hope for the best.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I'd rather not pay a premium either. I'm hoping that the SJ trade was more of an indicator of how badly they wanted to get rid of Torres, rather than what prices are going to be.

Stewart and a 4th for Weise, why not. I'd be chuffed if we could somehow finagle our way into that kind of a deal. :laugh:

mytduxfan*

That's what I'm saying, go all-in, use the first if you have to. Don't know if it's plausible but it's what I'd rather do than paying a premium for lower end guys. Either that or go to the bargain bin and hope for the best.

I don't give a **** about our 1st. I just don't want BM giving up one of our bright young prospects i.e. Montour/Nattinen/Larsson.

WrecKed

Jun 20, 2013
Manitoba
I don't give a **** about our 1st. I just don't want BM giving up one of our bright young prospects i.e. Montour/Nattinen/Larsson.

Yeah would definitely want to use our 1st now and then trade for another 1st rounder at the draft. There's no way that Murray will go into the draft without any 1st or 2nd rounders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad