Speculation: Trade Rumors Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

teemuselanne

Feb 21, 2011
Ottawa
Saw last thread was closed. I think it's been mentioned before, but I'd really like to see Bob go after Jarome Iginla if we were to upgrade Stewart's spot and if they would take Stoner/another contract their way. His size and style of play would fit well on that line, and still has a bit left in him. Obviously his leadership would help as well. I don't think he would be too costly and generally seems like the type of move Bob would realistically make. Something around Stoner and B prospect and or pick, perhaps Petersson?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Our options are either stand pat (bleh), keep the defense in tact and trade for a rental (Eriksson, Ladd, etc), or trade one of our defenders to try to bring back RNH/Galchenyuk/Eberle type. I like option 2 personally but I could see us standing pat

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Saw last thread was closed. I think it's been mentioned before, but I'd really like to see Bob go after Jarome Iginla if we were to upgrade Stewart's spot and if they would take Stoner/another contract their way. His size and style of play would fit well on that line, and still has a bit left in him. Obviously his leadership would help as well. I don't think he would be too costly and generally seems like the type of move Bob would realistically make. Something around Stoner and B prospect and or pick, perhaps Petersson?

Iginla has said that he won't waive his NMC during the season.

teemuselanne

Feb 21, 2011
Ottawa
Iginla has said that he won't waive his NMC during the season.

Ah, did not know that, too bad. Thanks for the clear up. As good as Santorelli has looked on that line the last few games, I really hope Bob does something to upgrade the top RW spot.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Ah, did not know that, too bad. Thanks for the clear up. As good as Santorelli has looked on that line the last few games, I really hope Bob does something to upgrade the top RW spot.

Agreed.

I know Murray has a strong stance against rentals, but maybe this is the year where a high profile rental makes sense. Get a guy like Staal, Eriksson, whatever. Hope he makes a strong impact in the playoffs, then we still have cap to re-sign our RFAs. Hockey trades don't make a lot sense for us unless we are dumping Stoner/Bieksa to save on cap space.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Know we have been scouting Buffalo, and Murray's comments about young players, who may not be known entities, out there. Wonder if we'd be after Evander Kane? LW, value probably near its lowest. Would work if we include a cap dump in the deal along with whatever else we give up. Probably would do better in a system with fairly good leadership? Just a thought.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Know we have been scouting Buffalo, and Murray's comments about young players, who may not be known entities, out there. Wonder if we'd be after Evander Kane? LW, value probably near its lowest. Would work if we include a cap dump in the deal along with whatever else we give up. Probably would do better in a system with fairly good leadership? Just a thought.

I want nothing to do with Kane. Plus, he doesn't have a spot on the roster. Somehow, we are in need of a RW or C, not another LW.

teemuselanne

Feb 21, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed.

I know Murray has a strong stance against rentals, but maybe this is the year where a high profile rental makes sense. Get a guy like Staal, Eriksson, whatever. Hope he makes a strong impact in the playoffs, then we still have cap to re-sign our RFAs. Hockey trades don't make a lot sense for us unless we are dumping Stoner/Bieksa to save on cap space.

Yea I'd definitely be one for Staal if the price is right. Would give us a lot of versatility up front seeing as he's probably better as a winger right now. I have a feeling Carolina is going to re-sign him though, especially since they're back in the race now. Maybe if they falter they pull an Arizona/Vermette situation though and re-sign him in the summer.

I don't see them giving up on him that quickly, at least not for cheap, after all they gave up to get him. I don't want any part of him either considering everything.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Sorry, after a trip to the main boards I got influenced by the "He'd look great next to Getz and Perry....blah blah blah trade us your entire defense" nonsense

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
If we only did not trade away Palm, we would not have to consider any trade, since Palm with Getz and Perron would be great first line, and have Raks and Pears on 3rd line. With that type of fire power, we can afford to allow Ritchie to grow accustom to league as 3rd line winger.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If we only did not trade away Palm, we would not have to consider any trade, since Palm with Getz and Perron would be great first line, and have Raks and Pears on 3rd line. With that type of fire power, we can afford to allow Ritchie to grow accustom to league as 3rd line winger.

I loved palm in the regular season but he was nonexistent out there in the playoffs which is why I think he was traded.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the draft picks we get from Palms allow us to get Hagelin? So if we don't trade Palms, we don't get Perron. Which then means we don't have a guy for Getz to allow us to split Getz and Perry up.

Frankly, trading Palms ended up being a great move. It allowed us to split Getz and Perry to spread scoring.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the draft picks we get from Palms allow us to get Hagelin? So if we don't trade Palms, we don't get Perron. Which then means we don't have a guy for Getz to allow us to split Getz and Perry up.

Frankly, trading Palms ended up being a great move. It allowed us to split Getz and Perry to spread scoring.

That doesn't make any sense at all

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
That doesn't make any sense at all

We trade Palms. We use the picks from trading Palms to trade Etem for Hagelin.

We trade Hagelin for Perron.

We then put Perron and Getzlaf together, which allowed us to seperate Getzlaf and Perry. This in turn, allowed us to have 2 legit scoring lines, 3 if we count Kesler's line when they turn their offensive game on.

Trading Palms was a good move in the end.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We trade Palms. We use the picks from trading Palms to trade Etem for Hagelin.

We trade Hagelin for Perron.

We then put Perron and Getzlaf together, which allowed us to seperate Getzlaf and Perry. This in turn, allowed us to have 2 legit scoring lines, 3 if we count Kesler's line when they turn their offensive game on.

Trading Palms was a good move in the end.

I don't think that's how it works. Perron could have been had without Hagelin being here lol. Plus Palms is arguably better than Perron anyway

And Getzlaf/Perry could have been on separate lines effectively with Palmieri still here.

Whatever though. I've gotten over Palmieri being traded even if it was a bad trade. Murray can still redeem himself next week even more than he already has (Perron/Hagelin deal)

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't think that's how it works. Perron could have been had without Hagelin being here lol. Plus Palms is arguably better than Perron anyway

And Getzlaf/Perry could have been on separate lines effectively with Palmieri still here.

Whatever though. I've gotten over Palmieri being traded even if it was a bad trade. Murray can still redeem himself next week even more than he already has (Perron/Hagelin deal)

I don't see how we get Perron without trading Hagelin.

Palms and Perron are pretty equal in my eyes.

Doesn't matter, I never cared for Palms in the end. He didn't excel here, especially in the playoffs.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Doesn't matter, I never cared for Palms in the end. He didn't excel here, especially in the playoffs.

We could have had Perron without ever actually trading FOR Hagelin, that's why your argument doesn't make sense to me.

The Pens just wanted to get rid of him.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
We could have had Perron without ever actually trading FOR Hagelin, that's why your argument doesn't make sense to me.

The Pens just wanted to get rid of him.

Then what would we have traded to them? Yeah, they wanted to get rid of him, but they wanted a roster player in return. If they wanted literally anything, they would have dumped Perron awhile ago.

I just don't see a trade between us that would have worked without Hagelin being involved.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

The Perron that we've had is the Palmieri we would get for only 1-2 games out of every 4. Granted, small sample size for Perron, but he hasn't shown any tendency to be the soft to invisible perimeter player Palmieri frequently reverted to.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

64307082.jpg

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Then what would we have traded to them? Yeah, they wanted to get rid of him, but they wanted a roster player in return. If they wanted literally anything, they would have dumped Perron awhile ago.

I just don't see a trade between us that would have worked without Hagelin being involved.

This is just a bunch of ifs and ifs and ifs, but I guess I'll bite.

Firstly, the Palmieri deal was one of the ****tiest, dumbest deals we've made in a while. Sure, the Wild Bill/Wiz trade is one thing, but this was just on another level of stupid. There was no reason to sell KP at that time, for the return he eventually ended up going for. Zero. He was a 24-year-old forward on a great contract. He was a proven 30-point forward with lots of room to become better. And we sold him off for a couple of lousy draft picks? He's now having his breakout season in New Jersey, what do you think he'd be worth now? :help:

Second, back at the draft, Bob and old Sather cooked up the Hagelin deal on the spot. Sather wanted to rid himself of Hagelin, because he couldn't afford him and so Hagelin ended up going for very little from our point of view. We didn't need the NJ pick to make that trade happen, I'm sure Sather would've just taken Etem and a small plus in return, but they ended up swapping some picks too just for the sake of it. It's not like that 2nd rounder made that deal happen.

Third, Hagelin just happened to conveniently be something JR accepted in return for Perron. We have to remember that Perron absolutely sucked in Pittsburgh, he didn't fit in there at all. There probably were many ways to make that Perron deal happen, JR was probably glad to see Perron go AND get something for him in return.

TL;DR -- NONE of this justifies the Palmieri trade. There is no excuse, no reason why that deal was "good" for us, it absolutely sucked.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Our options are either stand pat (bleh), keep the defense in tact and trade for a rental (Eriksson, Ladd, etc), or trade one of our defenders to try to bring back RNH/Galchenyuk/Eberle type. I like option 2 personally but I could see us standing pat

I very much prefer option 2. But I would prefer it in the summer. Too risky to make now. But I like it because I see it having lasting value as opposed to a rental, one and done. Trading from strength to add a legit, young top 6 F makes a lot of sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad