Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Troy Brouwer and Frans Nielsen would look mighty nice on the third line here. Really opens up trading Nugent Hopkins and Yakupov.

Are you guys ready to say we should re-sign Purcell for a year or two yet? I bring it up every few games and a lot of guys are still resistant to it.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Purcell is going to want a long term deal plus money can't afford to pay for another winger for big money

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Troy Brouwer and Frans Nielsen would look mighty nice on the third line here. Really opens up trading Nugent Hopkins and Yakupov.

Are you guys ready to say we should re-sign Purcell for a year or two yet? I bring it up every few games and a lot of guys are still resistant to it.

No interest in Brouwer, he can't skate.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Purcell is going to want a long term deal plus money can't afford to pay for another winger for big money

Who in the world is going to give him that? He narrowly avoided a buyout a 2 years ago and the Oilers couldn't have given him away this off season. He'll be lucky to get more than one season on a contract, and it'll likely be under 4 million. Before his chemistry with Hall-Draisaitl he was going to be a 1 million dollar player. There isn't much of a market for guys like him, he's going to be valued like a guy like Boyes is. 1 season playing with 2 of the highest scoring players in the NHL isn't going to change the perception he built after 3 years. If the Oilers can get him for cheap on a 1 year deal i'd do it, even if he's only an after thought for a scoring line it gives them CHEAP depth that they know can play an offensive role with the right players and he seems to be better when playing for a contract. I bet the Oilers could sign him for 1 year at 3 million or 2 years at 5, no way he gets more than 2 years and if he can walk away.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

I'd be willing to have him signed for a 2 year deal with a cap hit at 3-3.25. Gives him a 2 year deal, while saving the team about 1-1.25m on cap hit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd trade Eberle before trading Yak. Eberle has been horrid this season.

Yak was only really good with McDavid, and I don't think we should consider trading Eberle until we see him with McDavid. That's a combo worth trying.

nyy486

Dec 2, 2014

Neilsen's playing himself into a pretty expensive contract with his play this year. Not sure committing what could be something like 3/15 or 4/20 on a guy who will be 32 for the 3rd line is the wisest investment.

Purcell could be ok at something like 3 mil for 1 or 2 years, just thinking about alternatives.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
I think Purcell should have decent tradevalue at trade deadline. On the other hand, who says Oilers aren't in contention for a play off spot by then. :popcorn:

If we can keep him for around 2 + 2 I'd do it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The only way I bring back Purcell is if he agrees to a one year deal at 2 mil or less. Otherwise I walk away.

I'd trade Purcell at the deadline. You could put anyone on Hall/Draisaitl's wing right now and they'll produce. If the team wants to be harder to play against then they'll dump players like Purcell when they have the chance. If the team resigns Purcell to anything longer then 1 season they will regret it.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'd trade Purcell at the deadline. You could put anyone on Hall/Draisaitl's wing right now and they'll produce. If the team wants to be harder to play against then they'll dump players like Purcell when they have the chance. If the team resigns Purcell to anything longer then 1 season they will regret it.

this, the only reason Purcell got desperate and hired Oates for extra help, is because this is a contract year, he even mentioned it earlier this year. As nice as it is to see Purcell finally contribute positively to the line up, but he is not a long term solution, and a very suspect short term solution.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Bingo.

You give it a deadline, say trade deadline day, and if you can't get anything done you move him for a pick.

If we're still in this bubble where there's a chance at a playoff spot, I'd rather keep him and lose him to free agency.

The pick isn't worth weakening the team. At least not the pick you'd get for Purcell.

I'd trade Eberle before trading Yak. Eberle has been horrid this season.

As "horrid" as Jordan Eberle has been in 22 games this year, he's projecting to an offensive season that would be seen as an accomplishment for Nail Yakupov.

Nail in general is pretty useless unless his centre straps him on his back. I'd at least want to see Jordan get the same shot with Connor that Nail got before I even thought about moving Jordan ahead of Nail.

Last edited:

Bangers

May 31, 2006

Earlier in the year, I would have agreed with you 100%, but one major factor in his favor is that Hall has stated he really likes playing with Purcell on his line. If he keeps it up and is willing to accept a short-term, lower contract, he might not be a bad fit as the 3rd wheel on that line.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Something that makes me mad at Craig MacTavish...

We had Jeff Petry, a top 4 D-man who was one of the only capable guys on the team and we simply let him go.

Travis Hamonic is basically Jeff Petry with toughness.

Fans are willing to deal RNH for Hamonic.

Like we're giving up RNH for a guy we basically let go of for nothing, that's frustrating.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

We had Jeff Petry, a top 4 D-man who was one of the only capable guys on the team and we simply let him go.

Like we're giving up RNH for a guy we basically let go of for nothing, that's frustrating.

The fans who want to deal RNH for Hamonic are incorrect, though.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

Purcell is your classic example of where you inflate a guys stats and you get something for him at the trade deadline.

I know many fans are not going to like it but i see a pile of movement to happen in the off season. I see at least 6-8 guys off the roster,

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

Mact back to his issues with Mike Peca, and Jason Chimera and then his love affairs with guys like Reasoner, Peterson, and then Eakins goes to show you a guy who gets his emotions in the way. There wasn't a disconnect with Petry it was a real hate (btw I didn't think Petry was going to resign or anything) and Petry said that when he went to Montreal that it was great to be in a place where you feel welcomed, and wanted.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
So Jared Spurgeon got extended for 4 years at $5.1M/yr. That D in Minny is getting pretty expensive.

Suter (7.5) + Spurgeon (5.1) + Scandella (4) + Brodin (4.1) with Dumba still needing to be signed. Add in some of their larger contracts up front (Parise - 7.5, Koivu - 6.75, Vanek - 6.5, Pominville - 5.6) and in net Dubs (4.33), that team is becoming expensive.

Especially with some of their younger guys needing extensions in the next two summers (Zucker, Granlund, Nino, Haula). I wonder if a Scandella can shake loose.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
So Jared Spurgeon got extended for 4 years at $5.1M/yr. That D in Minny is getting pretty expensive.

Suter (7.5) + Spurgeon (5.1) + Scandella (4) + Brodin (4.1) with Dumba still needing to be signed. Add in some of their larger contracts up front (Parise - 7.5, Koivu - 6.75, Vanek - 6.5, Pominville - 5.6) and in net Dubs (4.33), that team is becoming expensive.

Especially with some of their younger guys needing extensions in the next two summers (Zucker, Granlund, Nino, Haula). I wonder if a Scandella can shake loose.
Backstrom off the books this summer pretty much covers the Spurgeon extension, Dumba hasn't played very well per most Minny fans and he isn't putting up a ton of points so he shouldn't cost much, I don't see a crap crunch coming until the season after next one when Granlund and Nino need extensions, unless ofcourse they try to make some additions to improve their team which does kind of make sense. The core of their team is pretty much Koivu, Parise, and Suter they should try to be competitive as soon as possible while those 3 are still in their prime.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Backlund off the books this summer pretty much covers the Spurgeon extension, Dumba hasn't played very well per most Minny fans and he isn't putting up a ton of points so he shouldn't cost much, I don't see a crap crunch coming until the season after next one when Granlund and Nino need extensions, unless ofcourse they try to make some additions to improve their team which does kind of make sense. The core of their team is pretty much Koivu, Parise, and Suter they should try to be competitive as soon as possible while those 3 are still in their prime.

I am assuming you mean Backstrom. :)

They could still be tight to the cap if Zucker has a good second half. He is their future #1RW if he is not already that. He'll also be only two years from UFA status and is coming off a very team friendly contract. If he can hit 20 goals again he might get paid. Of course if the cap rise to $74M which was the upper end of the most recent update they will be fine. But the lower end was a flat cap and if that happens they could be a couple of million over if they keep basically the same team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad