Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I think Ellis is more of a Yak-return guy than an Eberle-return guy, but that being said, Ellis is not a MAB clone. Much more defensively able. Playing with Ekholm helps him quite a bit, but he's playing higher competition and more minutes than Jones this year.

He's a solid No.4. Would hope that's more of a Yak return.

I guess I just dont see any point in moving any assets to return a middle pairing D. I wish to see an asset++ for a guy who can play RH top pair, or bust. Ellis just scares the bejesus out of me in that he is so very sheltered and -call me a dinosaur- I have a bias against small defenders as I feel sooner or later (like playoff time) games get meaningful and heavy and "the little defenseman that could", suddenly can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
A very good third line center? Just awful. He's ~26th in center scoring when you take out the guys who play wing (Pavelski, Larkin, Perreault) and a bunch still have ridiculous shooting percentages of 15%+. He plays against the best centers and still puts up ~60 at 22, he's a top line center. Most centers don't face the top competition till way later and he's been doing it since he was 19.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
:facepalm: I'm just.....I can't even..

Hall looked like garbage last year = he's hurt, give him time

RNH looks like garbage for the last 15ish games = he's a 3C get him the bleep out of here.

Hall last season 53gp. 14-24-38 0.72ppg
RNH this season 29gp. 7-13-20 0.69ppg

Yes Hall had a better track record but IMO RNH much like Hall last season is clearly not right.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I guess I just dont see any point in moving any assets to return a middle pairing D. I wish to see an asset++ for a guy who can play RH top pair, or bust. Ellis just scares the bejesus out of me in that he is so very sheltered and -call me a dinosaur- I have a bias against small defenders as I feel sooner or later (like playoff time) games get meaningful and heavy and "the little defenseman that could", suddenly can't.

Ideally we can add 1 more piece on D via FA. Had we kept Petry and added Sekera our D would be pretty strong.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney

RNH looks like garbage for the last 15ish games = he's a 3C get him the bleep out of here.

Yes Hall had a better track record but IMO RNH much like Hall last season is clearly not right.

To be fair, people did call out Hall for being a bad leader, wanted him traded, said it wasn't his team, he'd give us value, and infinitely hilarious, had the skills of a third liner.

We're extraordinarily fickle

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I can't wait for McDavidmas and the guys complaining about running three scoring lines as being impossible get to see what a nightmare we'll be for opponents to line match against.

Let's get a good look at

Hall-Drai-X
Pouliot-McD-Yak
X-Nuge-Eberle

before we dump the 22 year old centre who's shouldered the Oilers boulder since he was 18 years old and 165lbs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
To be fair, people did call out Hall for being a bad leader, wanted him traded, said it wasn't his team, he'd give us value, and infinitely hilarious, had the skills of a third liner.

Some of us did, I know that I was one of those that was really questioning his decision making and his play with the puck. The bottom line is that we should know more than any team what an injured player looks like as we've seen all of Hall, RNH and Eberle playing like garbage because they were playing injured.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
He and Eberle (despite scoring) are going through a rough stretch with some significant minus games.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I can't wait for McDavidmas and the guys complaining about running three scoring lines as being impossible get to see what a nightmare we'll be for opponents to line match against.

Let's get a good look at

Hall-Drai-X
Pouliot-McD-Yak
X-Nuge-Eberle

before we dump the 22 year old centre who's shouldered the Oilers boulder since he was 18 years old and 165lbs.

Nuge isn't right, until he gets better it's going to be hard for us to run 3 scoring lines IMO. The entire Pouliot-RNH-Eberle trio haven't been very good this season as individuals or as a line. We know that they have it in them, we've seen it, its just having them healthy and confident enough to get back there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He and Eberle (despite scoring) are going through a rough stretch with some significant minus games.

They are unable most shifts to have much offensive zone pressure because right now RNH is a boat anchor offensively. He's not carrying the puck very well or making plays with it. Something is clearly off with him.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
RNH has played like an elite 2C or average 1st line center for most of his career. RNH and 3rd line should not be mentioned at all. I just don't feel he is the right type of 2C for the Oilers with McDavid as 1C. Kind of like how Gangner was not a fit behind Nuge. With Drai, McDavid, and RNH all being offensively gifted players, I feel it would be for the good of the team to bring in an elite shutdown center to take on some tough minutes.

RNH for Hanzal and Samuelsson

RNH for Simmonds and Laughton

RNH for Zibnejad and Lazar

I think all of those deals would help balance out the top 9 and the Oilers would improve as a team going forward. Some of Eberle/Yak/Schultz/Reinhart/picks/prospects can be used to bring in a defenseman.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
RNH has played like an elite 2C or average 1st line center for most of his career. RNH and 3rd line should not be mentioned at all. I just don't feel he is the right type of 2C for the Oilers with McDavid as 1C. Kind of like how Gangner was not a fit behind Nuge. With Drai, McDavid, and RNH all being offensively gifted players, I feel it would be for the good of the team to bring in an elite shutdown center to take on some tough minutes.

RNH for Hanzal and Samuelsson

RNH for Simmonds and Laughton

RNH for Zibnejad and Lazar

I think all of those deals would help balance out the top 9 and the Oilers would improve as a team going forward. Some of Eberle/Yak/Schultz/Reinhart/picks/prospects can be used to bring in a defenseman.

I think that we could see him moved to the wing like Pavelski was in SJ. I like having 3 high end C's because if injury hits one of them then you simply move another one to the middle. The idea of having Drai and RNH on the same line in defensive situations is awesome to me. Both guys are solid defensively and can provide offense.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
They are unable most shifts to have much offensive zone pressure because right now RNH is a boat anchor offensively. He's not carrying the puck very well or making plays with it. Something is clearly off with him.

I agree. He's not comfortable with the puck and hasn't been shooting, stick-handling, and pocket-picking up to his usual standards. The take-home message right now is to not judge him based on a rough stretch when he has such as successful body of work behind him. Not saying you, but lots of other fickletons.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I think that we could see him moved to the wing like Pavelski was in SJ. I like having 3 high end C's because if injury hits one of them then you simply move another one to the middle. The idea of having Drai and RNH on the same line in defensive situations is awesome to me. Both guys are solid defensively and can provide offense.

I'd like to run three lines, especially on the road, then shorten the bench late in games if trailing.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

And in fairness that was a very select few people who just happen to be very vocal, like the trade Hopkins crowd. Why can't we have nice things?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Exactly, injuries are a huge part of hockey.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
woah here. Let's not get out of hand :amazed:

I made the last point in a semi-sarcastic way

I'm sure he *can* score more, just how much more. I just find it amusing how it's eerily similar to Gagner who could never break 50

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree. He's not comfortable with the puck and hasn't been shooting, stick-handling, and pocket-picking up to his usual standards. The take-home message right now is to not judge him based on a rough stretch when he has such as successful body of work behind him. Not saying you, but lots of other fickletons.

There is literally nothing about his game that looks up to snuff right now.

I'd like to run three lines, especially on the road, then shorten the bench late in games if trailing.

That is a luxury to have, we could have 3 scoring lines and 1 shut down line. I think that it is possible since all 3 of our offensive centers are defensively responsible.

Exactly, injuries are a huge part of hockey.

Yes it is. Hopefully now that our team is sticking up for each other we'll see less of our skilled guys getting run.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I thinking moving him to the wing is the most likely way he stays with the team throughout the his contract.

There are a few reasons why someone would want Drai as the 2C over Nuge. Nuge wouldn't be a good fit as a 3C.

Move him to the wing as a great insurance policy against injuries at centre? Dunno what the best move is. I'd prefer to keep him on the team if at all possible.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

As recently as the start of this season someone went into a full detailed analysis on halls production and facial expressions and how we are starting to see his decline already and we had better trade him for whatever we can get while he has value.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As recently as the start of this season someone went into a full detailed analysis on halls production and facial expressions and how we are starting to see his decline already and we had better trade him for whatever we can get while he has value.

He had a poor previous season, preseason and started very poorly this season. Luckily for Oilers fans he then got on track and has been great since.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If Oilers are making a deal with NYI for Hamonic, I hope we toss in an extra second and go for MDC. He has some upside but he is falling around and fats. Just cut for Can WJC team and a very bad OHL year. However he has a style that could work well on a 3 line scoring team

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Oilers are making a deal with NYI for Hamonic, I hope we toss in an extra second and go for MDC. He has some upside but he is falling around and fats. Just cut for Can WJC team and a very bad OHL year. However he has a style that could work well on a 3 line scoring team

Not a fan of his from what I've seen of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad