Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXXV: Filling roster holes post Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Joensuu isn't terrible, but Acton had 19 points in the AHL, so if he plays even a game in Edmonton, we're screwed.

IMO, if Edmonton wants to make the playoffs:
-need another LW
-need another RW
-Brown can't be in the top 12, must be 13th or 14th forward
-Jones and Smyth must be on the 4th line
-another C must be added in case of injury
-Klefbom can't be in the top six at the start of the year

If we're running a 3rd line checking line that Gordon is centering, then Jones sure could play that line. Smyth should stay the hell away from all lines, though. Brown should be that player we bring in to play against the teams that have the heavy hitters for deterrence, so I agree there. Another C for sure. We desperately need that top 6 LW though. Not comfortable with PRV there currently. Maybe if he continues improving, but not right now. Another RW is probably not the most important piece of the pie though, so I don't agree there. And the only way Klefbom is on the team is if he is far and away better than the others, and so that shouldn't really factor in there.

Last edited:

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
*sigh* So for the most part our D will be some combo of:

Smid-Petry-Ference-Schultz-Schultz-Potter-Belov

I expect Klefbom to start in the AHL, and Larsen to be AHL/NHL depth initially. But that NHL D.....yeah I'm not sure about that at all.

And we're already being given the whole "I won't be able to do what I wanted this summer". Which is basically a round about way of saying "We tried but it didn't work."

Good grief, I'm not entirely convinced we'll be much better than last seasons team. I'll wait till the end of summer to see how we shape up(he said he has possibly one more thing), but right now this team does not look pretty.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If we're running a 3rd line checking line that Gordon is centering, then Jones sure could play that line. Smyth should stay the hell away from all lines, though. Brown should be that player we bring in to play against the teams that have the heavy hitters for deterrence, so I agree there. Another C for sure. We desperately need that top 6 LW though. Not comfortable with PRV there currently. Maybe if he continues improving, but not right now. Another RW is probably not the most important piece of the pie though, so I don't agree there. And the only way Klefbom is on the team is if he is far and away better than the others, and so that shouldn't really factor in there.

I agree with you for the most part, I just don't believe in Ryan Jones as a 3rd line guy because Jones as a 3rd liner hasn't been great for the last few years. He can be a solid PKer and odd goal scorer but I'd rather have a Cleary-type on line 3.

Jones did have 33 points in 2011-12, but injuries played a factor in being able to have the points he did. I'd like him to play a competitive role that doesn't pressure him as much after the eye injury he suffered, and if he's on the 4th line, he'll always be battling Joensuu and Brown for his spot, which I like.

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005

I expect Klefbom to start in the AHL, and Larsen to be AHL/NHL depth initially. But that NHL D.....yeah I'm not sure about that at all.

And we're already being given the whole "I won't be able to do what I wanted this summer". Which is basically a round about way of saying "We tried but it didn't work."

Good grief, I'm not entirely convinced we'll be much better than last seasons team. I'll wait till the end of summer to see how we shape up(he said he has possibly one more thing), but right now this team does not look pretty.

The team looks better on paper IMO. The additions of Gordon and Ference are underrated. If we'd added another premiere piece to the team, the same folks that are crapping on those two would be praising them.

The problem is that there are still significant issues with the team and our competition, aside from Calgary, has just gotten stronger, or at least hasn't gotten worse.

To top that off, it's not like there is help on the way in the system at C or the wings, and while we're flush with D prospects, they are all 2-4 years away from cracking the roster or being impact players.

It's time to face facts: one of the big boys up front have to be dealt to for multiple pieces to balance out the roster. We're going to be forced to do it at some point in the future due to cap constraints; might as well do it sooner and make the team more competitive earlier.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

Our defence is better. The addition of Ference plus the development of Schultz (hopefully), we will be better than last year. I just don't know about our bottom 6. Looking at it, I don't know if it's even better than last year. This team needs another third line LW and third line RW (Hemsky's replacement). If he can do that, all of a sudden we look a lot better.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
The team looks better on paper IMO. The additions of Gordon and Ference are underrated. If we'd added another premiere piece to the team, the same folks that are crapping on those two would be praising them.

The problem is that there are still significant issues with the team and our competition, aside from Calgary, has just gotten stronger, or at least hasn't gotten worse.

To top that off, it's not like there is help on the way in the system at C or the wings, and while we're flush with D prospects, they are all 2-4 years away from cracking the roster or being impact players.

It's time to face facts: one of the big boys up front have to be dealt to for multiple pieces to balance out the roster. We're going to be forced to do it at some point in the future due to cap constraints; might as well do it sooner and make the team more competitive earlier.

What? Did Chicago trade one of their main players? We don't need to trade the big boys, we need to surround them with better role players and need to do a better job with our development.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011

I'd argue otherwise. Better to trade one later, when they're more developed, worth more, and we have a better sense of exactly what our team needs are during our most competitive years. Some key positions are going to be filled internally, some won't, but we don't know which right now. Trading someone like Eberle for depth now might make the team better in the short term, but I think it hurts the chances of winning a cup. I know that's sounds a little too much like a Tambo approach, but I'd rather trade picks and prospects for the temporary depth we need than the kids.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Joensuu isn't terrible, but Acton had 19 points in the AHL, so if he plays even a game in Edmonton, we're screwed.

IMO, if Edmonton wants to make the playoffs:
-need another LW
-need another RW
-Brown can't be in the top 12, must be 13th or 14th forward
-Jones and Smyth must be on the 4th line
-another C must be added in case of injury
-Klefbom can't be in the top six at the start of the year

For the most part I agree.

I mean, RNH is coming of torn labrum. Hall, even after a month or so in the AHL(which was fantastic for his rehab btw) didn't look 'comfortable' until after the new year. RNH isn't the athlete Hall is. I just don't see how he's going to come in and play like nothing happened. Yes he has elite hockey sense, but we're talking the inability to be effective with actions.

Essentially, we might be down to Gagner-Gordon as our top-2 most effective C's.

Most of our puck moving and putting points from the backend came from Schultz last season. This season....Schultz and Belov. NHL sophomore and NHL rookie. We needed a more experience puck mover back there. God forbid Schultz has a Sophomore slump. Then what? Are we back to "around the boards and out" as our break out?

Up front. Well, with RNH to start the season less than 100%, we're hoping Ebs can rebound, Hall to stay in beast mode(and he will imo), Yak not to have a sophomore slump, and Gagner to hopefully stay at a 60 point pace. Yeah we're banking on alot on the back of young players. Again.

Our bottom six have crap all around Gordon. Smyth, Jones, Joensuu, Brown are all 4th liners. Lander has shown very little to naught in the NHL, yet he'll be our 4th line C. MPS is actually the only other decent player down there, but he'll be in the top-6(again as of now), hoping his offensive acumen has grown and developed in the offseason.

Ugh, so far, not bold at all.

The Perfect Human*

It's July 9 - calm down people.

Oilers have made late moves before - and I don't think Mac-T's so dumb as to expose all his cards to the media the way he seemingly has.

When he made that quote it's probably in regards to his "plan A"-type players. Guys like Coburn, Clarkson, etc.

There are other UFA's available - there are other trade options available. There are other roads to explore. Don't doubt that he will.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jagr and Grabovski are both available. Both make the team better. All they cost is cap room, which we have in spades.

What's the issue then? Yeah ok, we didn't get all the pieces we wanted, I take it Mac T wanted Coburn and Clarkson, but so what?

There are options on the market that make the team better, why not get on it?

I'm not ragging on Mac T, but I really think Brian Burke would've been a better fit here. I don't care if he's a media blow hard, he is able to get trades done and ends up winning most of them.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

Don't get me wrong. I think Gordon and Ference did help this team. I just, I don't think it's enough. We have more holes to fill, and while those two guys did help, it's not enough.

Like you said, in context of the division we're going to, and what the other teams did, I'm not convinced in a year we won't be picking 7th overall again.

Our defence is better. The addition of Ference plus the development of Schultz (hopefully), we will be better than last year. I just don't know about our bottom 6. Looking at it, I don't know if it's even better than last year. This team needs another third line LW and third line RW (Hemsky's replacement). If he can do that, all of a sudden we look a lot better.

Schultz should develop, and Ference will be a plus, but the D overall is still below NHL average. We need another top-5 puck mover. Petry and Schultz are young NHL D-man. They are prone to have periods of ineffectual play. Our D scored very little in terms of points last season. Majority of it came from Schultz. The only other guy we've added who could put up points is Belov. A guy from the KHL who will be an NHL rookie.

Our top-6 also doesn't have balance. I think after last season everyone knows this. So we need that 2nd line LW. The bottom six looks disorganized too as it stands.

Like I said, he's still got time, but right now the team doesn't look better than the one which picked 7th overall. And his comments don't inspire a ton of confidence.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Oilers have made late moves before - and I don't think Mac-T's so dumb as to expose all his cards to the media the way he seemingly has.

When he made that quote it's probably in regards to his "plan A"-type players. Guys like Coburn, Clarkson, etc.

There are other UFA's available - there are other trade options available. There are other roads to explore. Don't doubt that he will.

We're used to Tambo, so we don't expect much as fans.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Gordon is a good start. His Corsi #'s are impressive, he's only 29, let's just hope its not Tippet's system disguising a mediocre player (Belanger).

Ference is a good stop gap until our D prospects are ready for the show. Hopefully we get one or two good seasons out of him, and hopefully that's all we really will need.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

I dont think he has any cards to play other than Hemsky and he knows he is a 2/7 off suit. he should have kept his mouth shut and surprised us. like i said earlier, his most important move was the coach.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
We have to Package Petry and a first rounder (+?) to get some actual #2 guy on D. We can't keep running all 2nd and 3rd pairing guys, it won't work.
Smid-#2
Ference-Schultz
Belov/klefbom/Schultz/Larsen/potter
Everyone wants a better top pairing, but refuse to give up anything of value. And by "value", apparently that's 2nd pairing dmen playing way too high in the lineup. We can afford to pay someone's huge contract, and Petry makes next to nothing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We have to Package Petry and a first rounder (+?) to get some actual #2 guy on D. We can't keep running all 2nd and 3rd pairing guys, it won't work.
Smid-#2
Ference-Schultz
Everyone wants a better top pairing, but refuse to give up anything of value.

The problem is we actually have our future D pretty well set now that Nurse is in the fold and Klefbom will be knocking on the door too.

So I don't think the Oilers necessarily want to give up a ton of assets and take on a ton of cap for a long term D-Man.

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
What? Did Chicago trade one of their main players? We don't need to trade the big boys, we need to surround them with better role players and need to do a better job with our development.

You can't compare this team to Chicago. They already had solid Dmen that they added guys like Kane and Toews to. We're totally void of that sort of blue line talent. They were better balanced to begin with. Not to mention, coveted UFAs want to go there, e.g. Hossa. Even with the young talent we have, Edmonton isn't much of a draw.

If this summer hasn't shown you how much trouble this org has acquiring supporting talent then I'm not sure what will. It's really easy to say, but as MacT has learned, it's very difficult to actually achieve. Even throwing gawdy sums of money at border line 2nd liners like Clarkson isn't enough. If dealing a guy like Eberle along with a 1st rounder or a good prospect like Marincin, heck maybe even Nurse, can get you a two very good roster players in return, like a Jeff Carter type deal (PHI to LA), then I think you have to do it.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I wonder what a Penner/PRV-Mueller-Brunner 3rd line would look like. Either a complete disaster or a 3rd lines scoring threat.
We could afford all 3 on 1-year deals

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can't compare this team to Chicago. They already had solid Dmen that they added guys like Kane and Toews to. We're totally void of that sort of blue line talent. They were better balanced to begin with. Not to mention, coveted UFAs want to go there, e.g. Hossa. Even with the young talent we have, Edmonton isn't much of a draw.

If this summer hasn't shown you how much trouble this org has acquiring supporting talent then I'm not sure what will. It's really easy to say, but as MacT has learned, it's very difficult to actually achieve. Even throwing gawdy sums of money at border line 2nd liners like Clarkson isn't enough. If dealing a guy like Eberle along with a 1st rounder or a good prospect like Marincin, heck maybe even Nurse, can get you a two very good roster players in return, like a Jeff Carter type deal (PHI to LA), then I think you have to do it.

I would have done

Gagner + Paajarvi + EDM 1st (Nurse or Nichushkin)
for
Seguin

Honestly. I don't know if that trumps Dallas' package, but I'd have to think it's pretty darn close. I'm not really on board with dealing any one of the 5 core kids yet though.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Smid-#2
Ference-Schultz
Everyone wants a better top pairing, but refuse to give up anything of value.

Personally I think we're going to be looking like this from the sounds of it:

Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz
Schultz - xxx
Belov
Potter
Larsen

From MacT's comments, I'm wondering if he isn't looking for a 3rd pairing RHD now to compete with Potter and Larsen.

I'd like to see if we can move N. Schultz (retain salary) and a pick for a forward and sign someone like Zidlicky or Hainsey to a 1 or 2-year deal and bump down J. Schultz 5 on 5.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
The problem is we actually have our future D pretty well set now that Nurse is in the fold and Klefbom will be knocking on the door too.

So I don't think the Oilers necessarily want to give up a ton of assets and take on a ton of cap for a long term D-Man.

If nurse klefbom and Schultz continue developing properly, there will be absolutely no room for Petry. If we continue to play him too high in the lineup because we are waiting for prospects to develop, he will demand an overpay and will be too expensive for our bottom pairing anyways. Right now he is very enticing to a team wanting to save money on a puck mover and we don't have to take back a 7 year contract.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
If nurse klefbom and Schultz continue developing properly, there will be absolutely no room for Petry. If we continue to play him too high in the lineup because we are waiting for prospects to develop, he will demand an overpay and will be too expensive for our bottom pairing anyways. Right now he is very enticing to a team wanting to save money on a puck mover and we don't have to take back a 7 year contract.

We need to keep our RHD though, if we move Petry for a LHD we're not going to have much left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad