Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXXV: Filling roster holes post Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Last thread passed 1000. Continue here.

Some posts

I'm on the Vanek wagon, he's lethal on offense. That top six would be filthy. That would define splash in Edmonton.

The assets to get Vanek would be much better spent at centre or defence.

Oshie is literally good at every facet of the game except faceoffs. Speed, shot, passing, physicality, defence, whatever, he can do it all. He might be smaller than Perron, but he's far stronger and much better at protecting the puck. David Perron would just be another soft winger added to our top 6.

I would honestly give up anything we have besides the big 5 for Oshie, Nurse, and Klefbom for him (although if we involve Gagner in a trade for him, we better have a 2nd line center in mind). Something like Paajarvi+Marincin+Gagner+1st for Oshie+Berglund would be a heist for us. If we give up even decent assets for David Pillowron, I would break my keyboard.

Peter Mueller plays more of a gritty game these days. Gamble on him for bottom six depth.

Can u imagine if Buffalo ask Ebs, Maggy and Hallsy for Vanek.

Seems like a lot of people on this board DID NOT listen to Mact's presser on Friday.

He specifically said they are looking for MEAT in the top 6 to help the kids. When asked about the Ryan trade he said "we had the assets to do that" but we have that type of player....we have skill....we need to help that skill with some meat and if we can't find that meat we'll need to use out bottom 6.

How are you guys getting Vanek out of those comments?

i no. lols. wtf, amirite?

Can't imagine anyone is that stupid...

lol at wanting the softest player in the NW division in Mason ****ing Raymond

Vanek is 6'2 and 205lbs and isn't a perimeter player, he'd add lots of meat AND scoring to the top 6.

He takes lots of abuse from going to the net and fighting through checks in the dirty areas.

I think we may found our top offer sheet candidate folks. Exactly the type of "meat" we need in our lineup

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...eets-rangers-derek-stepan-maple-leafs/slide/5

Based on your post I'm going to assume you haven't seen Vanek the last couple of years? He's got about as much meat and net drive game as Magpie.

MacT seems to be ok with RNH and Gagner as the 1-2 for now. And we do need another top 9 LWer. If we could get Vanek and Ehrhoff we'd be in the playoffs next season imo.

I proposed this late last night and still like it today. I think they might entertain a Hemsky + N Schultz + Marincin + 2014 1st + 2015/16 1st(Oilers choice) for Vanek + Ehrhoff.

Vanek has reportedly made them aware he isn't interested in going through a rebuild, and I am sure Ehrhoff isn't thrilled with the idea either, especially since he's signed for so long. Hemsky and Schultz are downgrades at both positions but Buffalo also gets a big, almost NHL ready puck moving D, and 2 extra 1sts in the next 3 years to help with their rebuild. They could even flip Hemsky at the deadline for more picks in a 'we're maximizing assets, not tanking' kinda deal.

We get a guy that could hit 40g for us playing with the talent our top 6 has, and the top4 left shooting puck moving D we need so badly.

Hall - Gagner - Eberle
Vanek - RNH - Yakupov
Paajarvi - Gordon - Jones
Smyth/Eager - Lander/Acton - Joensuu

Ehrhoff - Ference
Smid - Petry
Belov - Schultz
Larsen

Dubnyk
Labarbera

I have been saying this for 3 years now. I knew this day was coming. Offer sheet or trade for his rights. I would rather Stewart then Clarkson. Put him out with Nuge and Eberle.

Interesting...he would definitely look good on the left side, wouldn't want to overpay too much though.

And the couple games I saw last year I actually thought he looked pretty good. Granted it was only a couple gamer, and they could have been the only two good games he had all year ;)

I'm really hoping that Eakins is going to be a big factor in accountability with the effort level of our players going forward.

Hemsky and N. Schultz are essentially cap dumps.

They'd want:

Paajarvi + Petry + 1st 2014 + Gernat/Musil
PRV + N.Schulz + 1st 2014 + Marincin + 1st 2016

Plus he won't be dropping the gloves if our top end talent gets pushed around. That's the meat and potatoes MacT is really talking about. Hartnell, Stewart, etc.

We need a physical presence to make a statment that our kids aren't to be messed with, which was far too easy to do the last few years. It was so frustrating to watch.

This is a reason why I'm so happy we acquired Ference. My guess is it will take next year as well to get all of the meat that Craig is looking for. Get ready for some MacT hockey gents.

First of all I realize every team that misses the playoffs is a "lottery" team and most people would know what I meant but I'm guessing you are just trying to be a smart ***. Secondly I have seen him play about 30-40 times so it's best not to bet money on something you have no idea about. I followed him before his draft year in 2006 and followed him a lot from 2006-2008 And then a bit when he was with HV71 and probably 2 games this year with the Islanders. He has progressed greatly since 2006. He's not fast by any means but much better than 2006 when he couldn't skate and had no balance. After seeing his skating progress I have become an even bigger fan of his. I predict this year he'll start 4th line and make his way onto the 3rd. I have no idea why you are bringing up MPS and jones as I know all about them and agree they are definately 3rd liners. Though Jones on the 4th line makes this team really deep team.

I agree we need those 3 postions but the lineup posted wasn't much different than last years tbh. But saying the bottom six won't affect whether the Oilers make it into the playoffs Is just wrong. It's depth players and role players that work hard to help a team into the playoffs. For example Boston and Chicago were both raved about for having a great bottom six. I wasn't writing the team off just saying as it stands the team isnt much better than last year. If lander makes a really solid jump to the NHL permanently, Joensuu plays as well as he did in Europe, jones plays like a year or two ago and Magnus keeps progressing then you are right that our bottom 6 will be fine.

If we could convince Buffalo to do something along those lines, we'd definitely look a lot better.

It'd be nice to add one more experienced RHD to the 2nd pairing if we could, how about signing Zidlicky to a 2-year deal.

Ehrhoff - Petry
Smid - Zidlicky
Ference - Schultz
Belov

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Interesting...he would definitely look good on the left side, wouldn't want to overpay too much though.

And the couple games I saw last year I actually thought he looked pretty good. Granted it was only a couple gamer, and they could have been the only two good games he had all year ;)

I'm really hoping that Eakins is going to be a big factor in accountability with the effort level of our players going forward.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2012/6/25/3116199/2012-13-nhl-rfa-compensation-limits

I'd give Clifford 4 x 3 million which will cost a 2nd rounder.

Hard to see the Kings matching that given how tight they are against the cap and how little they used Cliff the Dog last year.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Paajarvi, Marincin, 2014 1st for Vanek
N. Schultz for Talbot
Hemsky for Smith (Even after Ryan trade, there is an opportunity here for a deal)
Sign Mueller/Penner
Potter waived

Hall - Gagner - Eberle
Vanek - RNH - Yakupov
Jones - Gordon - Mueller/Penner
Talbot - Smith - Brown
Smyth - Joensuu

Smid - J. Schultz
Ference - Petry
Klefbom/Belov/Larsen
Klefbom/Belov/Larsen

Dubnyk
Labarbera

This would be wonderful..

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Understanding that St. Louis is in a cap bind... otherwise, they would have no other reason to do it

2014 first, second, Hartikainen and Mike Brown
for
Chris Stewart?

Yes? No? Damn it! I'm trying.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Understanding that St. Louis is in a cap bind... otherwise, they would have no other reason to do it

for
Chris Stewart?

ucwmx.gif

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I love the idea, but it doesn't sound like MacT is at all interested in offer sheets. I dunno why, it would be exactly the type of "bold" move he's been talking about.

Yep, exactly.

I guess he doesn't want to "anger" his peers....which is funny considering how each of his division mates (Lombardi, Gillis, Murray) have tried to screw him already.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2012/6/25/3116199/2012-13-nhl-rfa-compensation-limits

I'd give Clifford 4 x 3 million which will cost a 2nd rounder.

Hard to see the Kings matching that given how tight they are against the cap and how little they used Cliff the Dog last year.

I could live with that.

Paajarvi, Marincin, 2014 1st for Vanek
N. Schultz for Talbot
Hemsky for Smith
(Even after Ryan trade, there is an opportunity here for a deal)
Sign Mueller/Penner
Potter waived

Hall - Gagner - Eberle
Vanek - RNH - Yakupov
Jones - Gordon - Mueller/Penner
Talbot - Smith - Brown
Smyth - Joensuu

Smid - J. Schultz
Ference - Petry
Klefbom/Belov/Larsen
Klefbom/Belov/Larsen

Dubnyk
Labarbera

This would be wonderful..

Lets say for fun, we could swing those deals, what if we could also add Clifford to that mix?

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Vanek - Gagner - Eberle
Clifford - Gordon - Mueller
Talbot - Smith - Jones
Smyth, Brown

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I think Oshie is who we should target, not Vanek.

Also like the Clifford idea, but 4 years is a long time.

Why do you prefer Clifford over Vanek? Vanek could be a ppg 40g guy with the linemates we can offer.

Edit: Doh. Yeah, I mean Oshie over Vanek. Thought TJ, typed Clifford.

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

for
Chris Stewart?

Why would they want Mike Brown or any NHL player back? Their roster is overfloweth.

That price is a bit steep but "fair" - i.e meh deal for Oilers but we are desperate and can't be choosers.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
HeavyHitter, my point was that, while a bottom 6 is important, the oiler's current bottom 6 isn't so bad to the point where it will cost the team a playoff spot, or as you were predicting, make them a bottom 5 team. I believe the top 6, the top 4 dmen, and Dubnyk will be 90% of where this team finishes.

As for joensuu, obviously you know much more about him than me, but from ive read about him for isles fans, he'll be a solid bottom 6 winger, better than petrell, eager, etc. so, i feel that, even though not great, the bottom 6 is improved from last year, and isnt the same liability that it was last year.

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Oiler fan accusing a Blues player of playing "small".

Guy had one concussion. Put him out for a while but he's played every single game since. Takes hits, dishes hits, great board work, and great hands. Instantly our toughest/grittiest top-6 forward outside of Hall.

How the rest of our top 6 plays has no bearing on how Perron plays.

He isn't that much different than the guys we already have in our top 6. The assets are better spent on a player that will create space for our skilled players up front. Perron isnt going to do that.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Randy Miller ‏@RandyJMiller
He said no on Friday. “@Alex_Yborra24: @RandyJMiller Is Holmgren still trying to work a Coburn trade? I think they need to blow up the D"

Howard Berger ‏@Berger_BYTES
Don't think #NHL free agency is a dead issue, with #Leafs or anyone else. Could be some interesting moves in quieter days ahead

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Where is this stuff coming out about Vanek? Is it just wishful thinking, or is he really being shopped?

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I think Oshie is who we should target, not Vanek.

Also like the Clifford idea, but 4 years is a long time.

This is a former 2nd round pick who put up PPG numbers as an 18 year old in the OHL and scored 5 points in his first 6 playoff games for the Kings in 2011.

Plus, he'd likely want to be locked in for a longer term to make that offersheet attractive ala Penner when he signed it with Edmonton.

I view this similar to the Ryan Kesler offersheet with Philly. He was coming off a 23 point campaign thru 82 games and had only shown some flashes of living up to his draft pedigree. Bobby Clarke was "bold" and made the move....Nonis was no dummy and matched but obviously Clarke ended up being correct in his pursuit.

Also similar to the Backes offersheet. He was slightly older than Kesler and more experienced but posted under 0.5 ppg and only 23 goals in in 121 NHL games. Canucks saw something in him and presented the offersheet.

Difference between Kesler/Backes and Clifford is that the Kings are in a much tougher cap spot than either Vancouver in 2006 or St Louis in 2008. However one could easily counter my point and say that Kesler/Backes, while showing not much, had still shown more at the NHL level than Clifford. Very fiar,

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
HeavyHitter, my point was that, while a bottom 6 is important, the oiler's current bottom 6 isn't so bad to the point where it will cost the team a playoff spot, or as you were predicting, make them a bottom 5 team. I believe the top 6, the top 4 dmen, and Dubnyk will be 90% of where this team finishes.

As for joensuu, obviously you know much more about him than me, but from ive read about him for isles fans, he'll be a solid bottom 6 winger, better than petrell, eager, etc. so, i feel that, even though not great, the bottom 6 is improved from last year, and isnt the same liability that it was last year.

I see what you are saying. But the team is very similar to last year. I said lottery team which was too harsh as the team is probably a little better than last year. Plus if our young stars continue to get better than we probably could push for the playoffs

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
MacT needs to throw money at Clifford.

If it were half the people on this board (including me) it would be done already. I think Clifford is the kind of player that you don't really appreciate unless you watch LA as often as we do. 3M? Done, afaic. And as I said before, OS-ing him would actually be doing something bold, as opposed to just talking about it in the press.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Hall-Grabovski-Yakupov
Penner-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Couturier-Jagr(or Cleary)
Smyth-Gordon-Jones
Joensuu

Coburn-Schultz
Smid-Ference
Gardiner-Gilbert
Belov

Dubnyk
LaBarbera

Sign Grabovski, Penner, Gilbert and Jagr(or Cleary)
Trade Gagner, Petry, Brown, 3rd in 2014 to Flyers for Coburn and Couturier
Trade N.Schultz + 1st in 2014 to Leafs for Gardiner
Trade Potter to Senators for 4th in 2014
Trade Hemsky to Islanders for 2nd in 2014 (or 3rd, I guess)

Wishful thinking, too many moves for MacT to make, but whatever I like it :laugh:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Where is this stuff coming out about Vanek? Is it just wishful thinking, or is he really being shopped?

He is reportedly available. He's in the last year of his deal before UFA and he has told them he doesn't want to go through a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad