Rumor: Trade rumors and proposals thread: Some witty title about Hamonic edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Let's do an activity.

Here is the cant moves for next year in the lineup. Use the rest to fill in the blanks, trade them or sign others.

Hall - Draisaitl - Blank
Blank - McDavid - Blank
Blank - Blank - Blank
Hendricks - Letetsu - Korpi

Klefbom - Blank
Nurse - Sekera
Blank - Blank

Blank
Blank

Trades:

- Eberle for Hamonic. They want a running mate for JT, we need a defensive leader. Win-win.

- LW Dwight King for 3rd round pick. With them needing to re-sign Lucic and Kopitar, in addition to McNabb and Forbort, I think King becomes available. He's stuck as a 3rd liner there, I think his 2M/yr salary is deemed too much. He's excess.

- RW Atkinson for D Schultz. Maybe we add a pick. With us picking up Hamonic, and Sekera moving to the RH side, we squeeze out Schultz. Especially if he's going to cost significant amount of cap space to be on the bottom pairing. Instead we get a RW with a RH shot and signed for a bit. He's also shown he can score 20. While Schultz gets crapped on by the HF hive mind, he's shown he's a solid #4/5 puck mover. Especially this year. Their current RHD consists of Tyutin, Guolobef (sp?) and Prout. Arguably Schultz is better than all of those guys.

Hall-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Pou-Nuge-Atkinson
King-McDavid-Yak
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpi

Klefbom-Hamonic
Nurse-Sekera
Reinhart-Laleggia (for his PP production)

Nilsson
Talbot

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't think 3 scoring lines is the way to go, but if you put RNH to the 3rd line, who says that's a purely "scoring line"? A bit like Staal in Pittsburgh. Of all the "high-end" offencive talent on this team, Nuge is the one I'm most comfortable with moving to the "3rd line" due to his versatility and two way play.

Going forward into next season I think you use the template of

Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Korpikoski-RNH-_____
Hendricks-____-_____

And go from there. IF you manage to keep the other contracts in the bottom six under 2 million, there's no reason why that couldn't be sustainable for several seasons.

Having RNH as the main driver in the bottom 6 is a hell of a lot more appealing than using Lander, Letestu or Yakimov in that role.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Trades:

- Eberle for Hamonic. They want a running mate for JT, we need a defensive leader. Win-win.

- LW Dwight King for 3rd round pick. With them needing to re-sign Lucic and Kopitar, in addition to McNabb and Forbort, I think King becomes available. He's stuck as a 3rd liner there, I think his 2M/yr salary is deemed too much. He's excess.

- RW Atkinson for D Schultz. Maybe we add a pick. With us picking up Hamonic, and Sekera moving to the RH side, we squeeze out Schultz. Especially if he's going to cost significant amount of cap space to be on the bottom pairing. Instead we get a RW with a RH shot and signed for a bit. He's also shown he can score 20. While Schultz gets crapped on by the HF hive mind, he's shown he's a solid #4/5 puck mover. Especially this year. Their current RHD consists of Tyutin, Guolobef (sp?) and Prout. Arguably Schultz is better than all of those guys.

Hall-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Pou-Nuge-Atkinson
King-McDavid-Yak
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpi

Klefbom-Hamonic
Nurse-Sekera
Reinhart-Laleggia (for his PP production)

Nilsson
Talbot

I don't know how but you just made them worse. Didn't think it was possible.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't think 3 scoring lines is the way to go, but if you put RNH to the 3rd line, who says that's a purely "scoring line"? A bit like Staal in Pittsburgh. Of all the "high-end" offencive talent on this team, Nuge is the one I'm most comfortable with moving to the "3rd line" due to his versatility and two way play.

Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Korpikoski-RNH-_____
Hendricks-____-_____

And go from there. IF you manage to keep the other contracts in the bottom six under 2 million, there's no reason why that couldn't be sustainable for several seasons.

Having RNH as the main driver in the bottom 6 is a hell of a lot more appealing than using Lander, Letestu or Yakimov in that role.

In theory, RNH as 3C sounds great. But I have a hard time imagining him with much production in that role. Korpikoski and _______ (probably a relatively cheap player that provides little offense) leave a lot to be desired as wingers for a decent offensive player. For $6million per season, he can't be playing 3rd line minutes. I know he'd still be getting PP time, but that would make up a very small portion of his ice-time.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Running 3 scoring lines is a myth. It doesn't happen.

It sounds great in theory but no team has 3 legitimate scoring lines. Once you spread the talent over 3 lines it will cause in a decrease in production from some of those players. Much better to stack 2 lines and have a third line of value contracts that can pitch in offensively.

if all 3 lines get 18min\night and producing equally then there is no difference between 1C and 3C ..

So that's 54 minutes going to the top 3 lines. It never works out that way once you factor in who plays on the 1st PP and who the PKers are. It always ends up with a couple players near 20 minutes, a couple between 15-17 minutes and a couple around 12-13 minutes. Whoever is in that 12-13 minute range will not be happy.

You move Eberle or Yakupov before you try to move Nuge IMO. Having three good centers is never a bad thing, especially because Leon has shown he can play the wing when needed. There's always going to be those cheap secondary scoring wingers available in free agency anyways. Gives us way more options when injuries occur. For me, you don't even consider moving McD, Hall, Drai, RNH (unless it's really worth it) for help on the backend. If Eberle or Yakupov being the center piece for a defenseman can't get it done, I'd rather see them be patient and go after another Sekera type.

Eberle is our best goal scorer but his cap hit could go towards a top pairing defenceman. He also has the higher trade value then Yakupov. If Eberle is moved for a defenceman then Draisaitl can be the #1 RW. Top six could look like Hall-RNH-Draisaitl, Pouliot-Mcdavid-Yakupov. People need to remember that Mcdavid, Draisaitl and Nurse's contracts will be up for renewal at the same time. That will be a big chunk of cap that year.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
I have always liked Hamonic.....but is it me?....or is this insane?

hes like a petry level defender....albeit more well-rounded then petry was.

I agree. I wouldn't give up Eberle for him and I doubt the Oilers will. Not straight up for a #3 dman, unless there's a Strome type player coming back.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
If Winnipeg/Calgary are not offering a ton for Hamonic why should we?

Hamonic requested a trade months ago ... that means Snow has not been able to find a taker at his asking price. You're telling me he hasn't had time to make a phone call to like the 4-5 Western teams that would fit Hamonic's criteria and get a sense of what they'd offer?

And now likely it was Hamonic's agent that leaked this to the press to put even more heat on Snow to move more quickly.

This is hardly the time to panic and offer more assets than need be. Snow has no leverage here. The guy does not want to be in the New York area.

Big no to any of Eberle or anything like that in a package. Nope.

This

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
In theory, RNH as 3C sounds great. But I have a hard time imagining him with much production in that role. Korpikoski and _______ leave a lot to be desired as wingers for a decent offensive player. For $6million per season, he can't be playing 3rd line minutes. I know he'd still be getting PP time, but that would make up a very small portion of his ice-time.

I'm not so sure of that. He'd still be playing in the 16 minute range, and RNH has looked his best when he's allowed to drive a line. Plus when injuries hit I'd rather have RNH ready to move up in the lineup than a Letestu or Lander.

In regards to the wingers though, you're correct. I had Korpi there as I don't think he's being moved anytime soon. But imagine if the team could have gone gone bargain bin shopping this summer, than you could have had GlenX-RNH-Stempiak for about 8 million. and I don't think that would have hampered his production too much.

I should say, I wouldn't be expecting much more than ~50 points. But 50 points from the bottom 6 spot, coupled with a producing top 6 has this team in good places. And so long as McDavid and Draisaitl are RFA and likely slightly underpaid, you can afford that 6 mill for RNH.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I come in peace. So some armchair GM on our board posted this proposal and doesn't believe me when I keep telling him how horrible it is for you guys and how you would never do it. Your thoughts? The proposal:

To EDM: Hamonic + Okposo + Strome
To NYI: Hall + Klefbom

+ Minor pieces added to either or both sides to finish the deal.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I come in peace. So some armchair GM on our board posted this proposal and doesn't believe me when I keep telling him how horrible it is for you guys and how you would never do it. Your thoughts? The proposal:

Two of our most untouchable players. If Okposo was not a UFA about to get a big contract the value is close, but no way the Oilers trade Hall or Klefbom.

Would you guys be interested replacing Hamonic with Seth Jones?

To Edm: Hamonic and Nielson

To NYI: Jones and Gaustad

To Nash: RNH

Maybe a 2nd/3rd round pick going from the Islanders from someone.

Jun 9, 2011
Two of our most untouchable players. If Okposo was not a UFA about to get a big contract the value is close, but no way the Oilers trade Hall or Klefbom.

If we move RNH, I want Jones. I also want to know why Hamonic wants to be traded, but can wait a year if required (so not urgent). Personal reasons, but seems suspect.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Tell that to the Rangers who's 3 top lines average 17 min a night with spread out scoring works really well for them.

The Rangers are killing it right now at even strength. They have scored the most ES goals in the league while giving up the least, scoring 2.2 goals for every 1 they give up. That is how you win in today's NHL. Unfortunately the Oilers do not have more than a handful of strong even strength players, and having 5-6 players who need PP time to get their points does not equal wins when their are so few penalties called.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If we move RNH, I want Jones. I also want to know why Hamonic wants to be traded, but can wait a year if required (so not urgent). Personal reasons, but seems suspect.

Don't the Oilers have enough 20 year old defensemen they are breaking into the league? Hamonic is the right age IMO to lead the younger D we already have. More of a physical edge and underrated offense. The last time an Oiler defenseman put up more even strength points than Hamonic did last year was 2008-2009. He's a month or so younger than Schultz too.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Korpikoski-RNH-_____
Hendricks-____-_____

I think you'd find more balance in that lineup (and actually 3 lines worth of offense) if you put Eberle back with RNH.

To me the pairs are:
Hall Drai _____
_____ McDavid Yakupov
_____ RNH Eberle

Mix and match [Hendricks, Pouliot, Purcell (or replacement), Korpikoski, Lander] as appropriate and as the offense ebs and flows (no pun intended). I'd probably keep Purcell up with Hall and Drai, try Hendricks with MdDavid to add some toughness and keep Pouliot with RNH & Ebs to let them work out their kinks.

That leaves Korpikoski, Lander, Latestu, Klinkhammer, Slepyshev, Gazdic and Pakarainen battling out for the 4th line.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Nielsen will be a 32 year old UFA in the Spring. He currently makes $3.5M in real money and since this is his last shot to capitalise on his recent success if you want to sign him before he goes UFA you had better be prepared to give him $5M+ with term. If not you lose him for nothing and you end up trading Nuge for Hamonic. Either way you are probably looking for another center by the time McDavid's ELC is up or shortly there after.

He also typically gets a large %-age of his points on the pp. He is on NYI's first pp unit but would not likely be on the Oilers pp.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Tell that to the Rangers who's 3 top lines average 17 min a night with spread out scoring works really well for them.

So 1 forward at a PPG pace, 5 forwards at a 50 point pace and 2 forwards at a 40 point pace. Don't know if all those players can keep up that pace but really good so far. The thing with us Oiler fans is we want Mcdavid, Draisaitl and Hall to get 100 points, RNH, Eberle and Yakupov to get 80 points, Pouliot and Purcell to get 60 points while the 4th line gets 30 points each. Anything less and 3 scoring lines is a complete failure.

You can't run 3 scoring lines with all 9 players putting up elite numbers. If we did 3 scoring lines with Hall and Mcdavid scoring over a PPG and everyone else in the 40-55 point range then we'd be one of the top scoring teams in the league.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Asking for Hall is a complete non-starter, when factoring in contract and age there are only about 10 players in the entire league I'd trade him for.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Re; the challenge

-Yakupov and schultz for hamonic and nelson
-matthews and lander for s.jones, m.reinhart, novak and 1st (benson)
-Purcell for a 3rd
-talbot for a 2nd

Hall-draisaitl-eberle
Pouliot-mcdavid-rnh
Benson/slepyshev-nelson-korpikoski
Hendricks-letestu-reinhart

Klefbom-jones
Sekera-hamonic
Nurse-reinhart

Broissoit
Nilsson

Add novak and 4 top 90 picks in addition to benson.

:shrug:

McDeathbyCheerios*

That makes the Oilers a worse team easily. We lose our only productive left winger for ufa right winger, get a guy who got pushed back down to the AHL and a good Defender. If you added a 1st than maybe.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Looked at all the lineups on Dailey faceoff and found 10 teams I would say have a 3rd scoring lines when everyone is healthy. Also counted the Oilers as one with Hall-Draisaitl McDavid-Yak RNH-Eberle.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Nielsen will be a 32 year old UFA in the Spring. He currently makes $3.5M in real money and since this is his last shot to capitalise on his recent success if you want to sign him before he goes UFA you had better be prepared to give him $5M+ with term. If not you lose him for nothing and you end up trading Nuge for Hamonic. Either way you are probably looking for another center by the time McDavid's ELC is up or shortly there after.

He also typically gets a large %-age of his points on the pp. He is on NYI's first pp unit but would not likely be on the Oilers pp.

Nuge has put up more 5 vs 5 points than Nielson once in the last 4 years. He's not as big of a downgrade as you would think. Hamonic is the piece I want though, as he sets up the entire defense going forward. What's the big deal in finding a 3rd line center anyways if Nielson walks?

I like RNH as a player, but his role will be diminished in the coming years with McDavid and Draisaitl's emergence. He is best suited to play the halfwall on the PP, and McDavid is just simply a better option.

By the way, have you changed your opinion on that Yak and Schultz for Edler and Hansen proposal we debated this past summer?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So that's 54 minutes going to the top 3 lines. It never works out that way once you factor in who plays on the 1st PP and who the PKers are. It always ends up with a couple players near 20 minutes, a couple between 15-17 minutes and a couple around 12-13 minutes. Whoever is in that 12-13 minute range will not be happy.

PP, Pk etc does not use lines but individual players. It wouldnt be a line but players playing in that 15 min range.

If the going gets tough and you need a goal you move McDavid on a line with Hall and Drai but otherwise just role the 3 lines.

If this trio is the first unit PP then you give more time to RNH and Ebs at PK.

Hall, Drai, RNH, Ebs and McDavid will get their 20 mins even if we roll 3 scoring lines ar ES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad