Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Chris Kelly Attending Camp on PTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I definitely would've taken 2 less years of Draisaitl's deal if it reduced his cap hit by $2M.

And used the ~$2m for what? Even with it we're still parting with the same guys and replenishing with reclamation players and plug and play veterans down the road. We have a top-heavy forward group. I'm much happier keeping them together longer.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I definitely would've taken 2 less years of Draisaitl's deal if it reduced his cap hit by $2M.

Easily. Too bad chia seemingly had no intention of any semblance at negotiation this summer. Boston did the exact right move with pastrnak. Recognized that there was no rush to get a deal done and waited the player out until they folded. Didn't even end up costing them any training camp.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
And used the ~$2m for what? Even with it we're still parting with the same guys and replenishing with reclamation players and plug and play veterans down the road. We have a top-heavy forward group. I'm much happier keeping them together longer.

Maybe keep/add depth? $2M in cap space will become huge over the next few seasons as we look to pay Talbot, Nurse, Maroon, etc.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Easily. Too bad chia seemingly had no intention of any semblance at negotiation this summer. Boston did the exact right move with pastrnak. Recognized that there was no rush to get a deal done and waited the player out until they folded. Didn't even end up costing them any training camp.

Agreed. This is certainly how it seems to be. Hope for the best but I can't help but feel Chiarelli dropped the ball with both McDavid and Leon. Easily 2 mill more between the two that should be added to our cap space. 2 mill is a lot of money in a cap world IMO.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Agreed. This is certainly how it seems to be. Hope for the best but I can't help but feel Chiarelli dropped the ball with both McDavid and Leon. Easily 2 mill more between the two that should be added to our cap space. 2 mill is a lot of money in a cap world IMO.

You don't play hardball with McDavid. He was going to get 12 no matter what.

Drai on the other hand, Chia should've negotiated with more.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Lmao, McDavid? This has got to be a sick joke. Im going to guess playing hardball with your franchise player and one of best players in the world is a dumb idea. Draisaitl he could have rode him out a bit more. But if signing him for 8.5 mil means he has a beast of a 2017/18 year and avoids faltering like Gaudreau did, Im happy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Pastrnak had one great year so I'm not surprised that Boston wanted the cap hit down. There's still some doubt in him. I have no such doubts about Draisaitl at all. Having those two extra UFA years gives the contract value. The short term headache is not a horrible problem, and realistically our top players are too young to really contend for the cup yet anyway. In a few years, the cap will be higher and players signing at 8.5 will be common and we'll be glad for those extra two years.

Also, the extra two years sets up the next contract well. His current deal ends at age 29, so his 3rd contract can end at 38. That will help us a ton to keep the cap hit down on that deal, with some leaner years at the end.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You hand Mcdavid a blank check and after he decides what number he wants to put on it you say, "thank you, sir."

With Draisaitl you maybe save 1 million for 8 years if you play hardball. Zero chance he was signing for under 7 million, even in a 1 year deal.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You hand Mcdavid a blank check and after he decides what number he wants to put on it you say, "thank you, sir."

With Draisaitl you maybe save 1 million for 8 years if you play hardball. Zero chance he was signing for under 7 million, even in a 1 year deal.

I don't know, a lot of people have decided this would be the case, so it's hard to argue.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Unfortunately for Chiarelli he had the McDavid deal hanging over him when dealing with Draisaitl. The Bruins had the Marchand and Bergeron deals (their underpaid and best players) working in their favor when negotiating with Pastrnak.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maybe keep/add depth? $2M in cap space will become huge over the next few seasons as we look to pay Talbot, Nurse, Maroon, etc.

There's no certainty as to what the salary cap will be set at moving forward either. We're far better off having the top end of our roster signed long-term than trimming a couple bucks at the expense of Draisaitl's 28 and 29 year old seasons.

The Bruins may have gotten a deal on Pastrnak, but they also have a smaller window and they also have significant questionable cap on their roster which essentially voids whatever 'savings' Sweeney acquired on the Pastrnak deal.

Also if guys like Maroon or Nurse are commanding any type of significant raise at this point, those are the types of guys you say 'see ya' to. Nurse might get $2.5m on a show-me deal. He hasn't earned anything beyond that yet.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I think the most we could have saved is 500k by playing hardball while keeping the length the same. Even then, there's assumptions. Chiarelli did drag out the signing deep into the summer, and maybe 8.5 is fair.

Tarasenko could be a starting point at 7.5, which is the number you suggest. However, the cap is higher now, Drai had more points in his contract year, and he plays a more valuable position. There's no way it would have been only 7.5 for 8 years.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Off topic from the threads current discussion, but could Sakic have handled the Duchene situation any worse?

He makes MacT look competent.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think the most we could have saved is 500k by playing hardball while keeping the length the same. Even then, there's assumptions. Chiarelli did drag out the signing deep into the summer, and maybe 8.5 is fair.

Tarasenko could be a starting point at 7.5, which is the number you suggest. However, the cap is higher now, Drai had more points in his contract year, and he plays a more valuable position. There's no way it would have been only 7.5 for 8 years.

There is no starting point for an rfa with no leverage other than some phantom offer sheet which never occurs. Draisaitl had nothing to stand on. Bruins management just showed chia up big time with this deal.

Chia got bent over this summer in contract negotiations. It will cost us important players starting next summer.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There is no starting point for an rfa with no leverage other than some phantom offer sheet which never occurs. Draisaitl had nothing to stand on. Bruins management just showed chia up big time with this deal.

Chia got bent over this summer in contract negotiations. It will cost us important players starting next summer.

Who?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ok, Nuge would be a bit tough, but the writing was on the wall before the extensions.

And Maroon, I like the player, but in the Cap NHL, he's the kind of guy you lose.

He's also the kind of guy you need to replace once you lose him. An extra 1.5m-2m is easily the difference between being able to add a suitable replacement or needing to go full bargain bin.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Off topic from the threads current discussion, but could Sakic have handled the Duchene situation any worse?

He makes MacT look competent.

They should have fired Sakic a long time ago. Not to mention hiring Roy threw a wrench into that whole rebuild. They were a young up-and-coming franchise with depth at every position necessary to succeed. They turned a young up-and-coming team with organisational depth into a cesspool with a poisonous locker-room.

The owners have already seen him turn Ryan O'Reilly into an unsigned Zadorov and a few long-shot depth forwards--and to his defense they still have a number of irons in the fire from that series of deals (Compher, Greer, Morrisson)--but none who will ever be as complete a player as O'Reilly.

If I'm Ray Shero, I'm calling Sakic every morning until he takes a package of prospects for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad