Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Care to elaborate?

Lucic - Too much money and term
Klefbom - Tracking to be a steal, probably by next summer, stay in average for now.
Sekera - Overpay
McDavid - Meh.
Draisaitl - Overpay
Kassian - meh
Russell - Overpay
Talbot - Assuming he keeps up last years work its a steal

The players help the team sure, but you can't look at any of the contract and be like "Gee Chia sure did well there.."

Sekera was an overpay? He was the biggest fish in that UFA class. A 34 year old Paul Martin made $4.85m over 4 years. A 35 year old Francois Beauchemin made $4.5m over 3 years. Mike Green made $6m over 3 years. $5.5m for a 28 year old at free agency was a coup. Especially for a team who wasn't expected to do much.

Russell and Kassian made $900k and $400k raises respectively on their previous contracts. There's no doubt in my mind they make more via UFA. Russell was a huge reason why our defense improved as much as it did overnight last season. He played similar minutes to our top pair and the Oilers leaned on him heavily in the playoffs.

I don't get why people complain about the Lucic deal either. He's a 29 year old 50 point power-forward. Posters used to drool about trading for him before.

And McDavid could ask for $20 million if he wanted to.

Seriously dude.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Heh, so because I have been a fan for 20+ years, and we just had the worst 10 years of pretty much any professional sports franchise ever, I should just be happy with everything?

I don't trust Chia to manage the cap. Nothing he has done here or in Boston has given me that confidence.

But you don't seem to be happy with anything. I mean, you can't even acknowledge that the Klefbom and Talbot contracts are steals. Come on now. Calling Sekera an overpayment is a stretch as well.

Chia's cap management ability is concerning but he has done far more good than bad thus far and he deserves a little more respect than he's getting from some people here.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Care to elaborate?

Lucic - Too much money and term
Klefbom - Tracking to be a steal, probably by next summer, stay in average for now.
Sekera - Overpay
McDavid - Meh.
Draisaitl - Overpay
Kassian - meh
Russell - Overpay

The players help the team sure, but you can't look at any of the contract and be like "Gee Chia sure did well there.."

Lucic's deal is the price of doing business. They signed him as a key piece in working towards culture change. I don't think Sekera's deal is really an over pay. Again for a vet that has played on both the first and second pairing he has been pretty much value for the dollar.

The other deals right now sum to pretty close to a wash and I might give Chia a slight plus. So as of right now I'd give Chia a neutral rating on the numbers. I have some uneasiness going forward since I agree that negotiating contracts does not seem to be his strength, and for the next couple of years every penny will help. But I am willing to see how this plays out.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think in the short term the Draisaitl deal is a little restrictive. But the deal is signed and long term they should be able to manage quite well if they are smart.

Apples to apples if Pasta's deal was 8 years you would probably be looking at a low $7M figure, maybe $7.2M or so. To me this means that as a comparable Leon would be in the $7.5-7.8M range so I think that strictly on contracts Boston got the better deal. But they are close enough that I am happy that the Oilers have the guy I think is the better player locked up for a long tome.

That is a fair assessment. Honestly when Pastrnak's deal ends, it's unlikely he sees $8.5m in his next one because I don't find it likely he ever becomes that level of player. The Bruins had the risk of him being a one-off in their back pocket and it's a legitimate concern when discussing Pastrnak.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Heh, so because I have been a fan for 20+ years, and we just had the worst 10 years of pretty much any professional sports franchise ever, I should just be happy with everything?

I don't trust Chia to manage the cap. Nothing he has done here or in Boston has given me that confidence.

Do you want credit or something? I've been a fan easily just as long, through that decade of Darkness, the Oilers established themselves as a playoff teams, with a playoff series win and a team WILL get better.

**** YES you should be happy. With everything? No, but there's a BIG ****ing difference between "being happy with everything" and "being bleak and fatalistic about the future of the franchise."

I actually don't care if you don't trust Chiarelli with his "cap management" because he's got VERY key pieces on the blueline at great deals, he's spend the majority of the cap on IMPORTANT players.

He's made the team a ****ing playoff team in one year, basically. Like if you want him to focus hard on ******* around the players in contract negotiations, maybe you don't really understanding what he's doing with the team.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Is it supper yet?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
But you don't seem to be happy with anything. I mean, you can't even acknowledge that the Klefbom and Talbot contracts are steals. Come on now. Calling Sekera an overpayment is a stretch as well.

Chia's cap management ability is concerning but he has done far more good than bad thus far and he deserves a little more respect than he's getting from some people here.

Ok I will agree I was a little tough on those deals. Klefbom I do see turning heads around the league this year. Talbot, I think the best thing for him is we get a competent back up that the coach trusts so we don't have to ride him so hard. I think Broussoit is that guy but it just seems like Todd doesn't trust him to play him more?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Depending on how the goalie market looks in two years' time it's not out of the realm of possibility. The Oilers would be wise not to get into Rask-type numbers with Tabot's next contract. That being said a lot can change in two years.

Read his post. That is not the same reasoning he used.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I can't believe you can say this with a straight face. Guy can't get a contract till October the year before and somehow is going to get more than 4x4 on the market? It's not like everyone around the league thinks he had a great year last year.

He was reportedly asking for 5 years at 5 mill per year and because of that priced himself out of the market.

4 years at 4 mill a year, after having a good year by his teams account, and pretty much anyone not an advanced stats junkie, and after actually making 3.1mill.

I'm not someone that think Russell is great but he is a legit top4 defender. Is currently better than Nurse and Benning and may well be for the majority of his contract.

EDIT:

Lucic - Solid UFA signing. No longer need to hear "hoping to draft the next Lucic"
Klefbom - Tracking to be a steal, is good right now.
Sekera - Solid UFA signing. A proven top #2/3 defender.
McDavid - Big Overpay in terms of cap/performance so far even putting up 100 pts (2 mill more than the next highest guy) and Underpay in value to a franchise.
Draisaitl - Overpay by 1 million max but should be fine in a couple years as cap and his skills go up.
Kassian - Great signing most likely a steal.
Russell - Solid UFA signing. A proven top 4 defender.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Pasternak would have gotten another mil if he went 8 yrs. Drai being a center is worth another mil. Don't see the issue here. The only argument is whether one prefers 6 yer deals or 8 yr deals.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Offer sheet threat was out there for Pastrnak as well. Didn't stop the Bruins waiting for a better deal.

As others have said - Pasternak is a pure winger who is on the smallish side while Drai is a big center. One year UFA versus 3. Compensation for RFA offer sheet this year was only a first-round, second-round and third-round picks up for a sheet up to almost $7.9 million. You think anyone with the cap space would not have paid that if possible? Pouliot was hurriedly bought out for a reason - the offer sheets were ready to go if the Oilers showed any sign of trying to force Leon below $8 million. It's a big contract but no way Leon was getting less than $8 million with an offer sheet option costing only a first-round, second-round and third-round picks for basically any salary starting with a 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->