Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Chris Kelly Attending Camp on PTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
If Chia can pull off the following, he could call it a day for the next two years at least:

RNH, EDM 1st '18, EDM 2nd '19

for

Andreas Athanasiou, Mike Green and Gustav Nyquist.

Re-sign AA @ four years $2.5M, Iginla @ 1 year $2M plus $1M in performance bonuses, and here's your contender:

Maroon-McDavid-Nyquist
Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
Caggiula/Slepyshev-AA-Iginla
Jokinen-Letestu-Kassian
Caggiula/Slepyshev, Khaira

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Green
Russell-Benning/Nurse
Benning/Nurse

Talbot
LB

($72.3M total)

Tons of depth, tons of skill and speed, a great leadership group led by Looch, McDavid and Iggy. That team has no real weakness, and should very easily make the WCF. It also allows us to keep all of our top prospects to replace expiring contracts like Strome, Green and Nyquist.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Would we want to is the better question. Im okay with paying the young studs big money until 2025 but not a guy who is already 32.

Yeah. I don't disagree.

I don't want an old, slow, declining warbeast.

But im not sure Weber a) is that. and b) doesn't deserve to win a cup.

I'd probably say no too. But if you could get out of some of the contract then...maybe?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah. I don't disagree.

I don't want an old, slow, declining warbeast.

But im not sure Weber a) is that. and b) doesn't deserve to win a cup.

I'd probably say no too. But if you could get out of some of the contract then...maybe?

Would anyone do RNH for Weber with 2M retained?

Personally I'd do that in a heart beat. Defence becomes:

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Weber
Russell-Benning
Nurse

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Everyone would do Weber with 2m retained for Nuge, that's a huge steal even if we turned around and traded Weber for scraps in a couple seasons

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'd love to see Weber in the Oilers, but I don't see MTL letting him go, even for a decent C. That would make them even more dependant on Price.

Weber's bomb on PP1 would have been a beauty though.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
If Chia can pull off the following, he could call it a day for the next two years at least:

RNH, EDM 1st '18, EDM 2nd '19

for

Andreas Athanasiou, Mike Green and Gustav Nyquist.

Re-sign AA @ four years $2.5M, Iginla @ 1 year $2M plus $1M in performance bonuses, and here's your contender:

Maroon-McDavid-Nyquist
Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
Caggiula/Slepyshev-AA-Iginla
Jokinen-Letestu-Kassian
Caggiula/Slepyshev, Khaira

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Green
Russell-Benning/Nurse
Benning/Nurse

Talbot
LB

($72.3M total)

Tons of depth, tons of skill and speed, a great leadership group led by Looch, McDavid and Iggy. That team has no real weakness, and should very easily make the WCF. It also allows us to keep all of our top prospects to replace expiring contracts like Strome, Green and Nyquist.

That actually looks pretty solid.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
$21 million for 2 players, $33 million for 4 players, $38.5 million for 5 players.

If there's 2 or 3 interest rate hikes before the end of next season the Canadian dollar will appreciate nicely. With that same goes the cap and talk of "cap hell" will be replaced by "we can afford everyone including Nuge". Well maybe not everyone.

I wonder what the cap will be at if the Loonie is at .90 or .95. Probably won't be that high but the continued rate hike talk by the BofC will ensure a healthy spike in team salary cap for next season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If there's 2 or 3 interest rate hikes before the end of next season the Canadian dollar will appreciate nicely. With that same goes the cap and talk of "cap hell" will be replaced by "we can afford everyone including Nuge". Well maybe not everyone.

I wonder what the cap will be at if the Loonie is at .90 or .95. Probably won't be that high but the continued rate hike talk by the BofC will ensure a healthy spike in team salary cap for next season.

A dollar at $.90US or higher is likely extremely optimistic, though predicting currency values is insanely difficult. As a rough estimate, every 1c rise in the dollar above $.75US would add in the neighbourhood of $300K to the cap. So $.90US would add about $4.5M and $.95US about $6M. Of course it is the average over the year that matters not any one spot price.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Two rate hikes in the next eight months are possible but unlikely. Three is extremely unlikely. Bigger picture as an Albertan that would crush the tepid recovery we are undergoing at the moment.

For rate hikes to really help the value of the value of the loonie we need them to occur without concurrent American interest rate increases.

It's still much more likely the cap goes up by two million or less next season than the five million or so that would constitute a 'healthy spike' in the salary cap next season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Two rate hikes in the next eight months are possible but unlikely. Three is extremely unlikely. Bigger picture as an Albertan that would crush the tepid recovery we are undergoing at the moment.

For rate hikes to really help the value of the value of the loonie we need them to occur without concurrent American interest rate increases.

It's still much more likely the cap goes up by two million or less next season than the five million or so that would constitute a 'healthy spike' in the salary cap next season.

How do you get that it is less likely that the cap goes up by five million than two. Is this just a guess or do you have some insight into why this is so. I am genuinely curious since I have already stated on multiple occasions why a larger increase is very possible.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Weber is better than Klef and Larsson.

Next year he wont be, arguably wasnt either this year. Good D man (historically drastically overrated) and now on a steep decline. If you read any Montreal PGT last half of last year, its actually kind of sad seeing Montreal fans come to the realization Weber isnt nearly as good as they thought he was going to be

Id say a mile away from Weber, that cap hit and potential for wheels to fall off are too much

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Next year he wont be, arguably wasnt either this year. Good D man (historically drastically overrated) and now on a steep decline. If you read any Montreal PGT last half of last year, its actually kind of sad seeing Montreal fans come to the realization Weber isnt nearly as good as they thought he was going to be

Id say a mile away from Weber, that cap hit and potential for wheels to fall off are too much

I watch every team at least a couple times a year. Both regular and playoffs. Montreal a Lil more than most last year.

Weber from my limited viewing last year. What ive seen over his career watching games and highlights. Is still significantly better than Klefbom and Larsson. He is legit #1. 200 foot player with a feared shot and a great physical presence. His skating, so far anyways, is still "Good" at least.

At the time of the trade there was no question in my mind that Montreal won the trade for at least the next 3 to 5 years. People generally exaggerate how much/quickly elite players decline. Nothing I have seen or heard makes me think Weber is less effective. Montreal fans are incredibly fickle and complaints from them were expected no matter how Weber played. They traded a one dimensional elite defenseman for a complete elite defenseman. Both with bad contracts, albiet Webers worse.

What surprised me is how much PK bought into Nashvilles systems and how much he improved defensively within it. Very tough to say now Montreal won the trade short term. Not because of Webers play but because of Subbans significantly better complete game. Very surprised by Subbans play.

Montreal has a solid blueline still with Price backstopping it. Guys like Petry and Davidson allowed to play within thier limits.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
How do you get that it is less likely that the cap goes up by five million than two. Is this just a guess or do you have some insight into why this is so. I am genuinely curious since I have already stated on multiple occasions why a larger increase is very possible.

There are a lot of factors that go into it. If I didn't have this pesky full-time job I could quantify it and provide more rigour to my analysis.

The CAD likely won't rise as much as people believe. The price of oil will increase a little before next year's cap is set, but not that much. Increased shale development will lessen the impact of an increase in oil prices correlating to a rise in the CAD value. The huge spike in the value of the CAD in 2011-2014 wouldn't be repeated to the same even if oil hits $125 for WTI again. Interest rates will rise in lock step with any increases in the U.S., thus lowering the impact on the CAD of interest rate increases.

Revenue from broadcasting rights are another issue. There was that $150m payment for 2014-15 and 2015-16 that has gone away. That played a role in smaller increases in the cap the past two seasons. Even though payments will go up slightly, I think people underestimate the value of that big payment in previous years, i.e. pointing to the big jump in the cap those two seasons.

It's still a while until the NHL contract in the U.S. is up for renewal, but ESPN is really in a death spiral thanks in large part to overpaying for NFL rights. One less bidder for NHL rights in the U.S. is a big deal.

New arenas provide a boost to HRR. Anecdotally for HFOil, there are a lot of people on here who went to games at Rogers last season. The cost per person increased a lot over Rexall, plus more boxes and more seats overall.

Four arenas have opened in the last seven years. Only two potential arenas on the horizon, Calgary and Ottawa. Neither have been approved. Ottawa looks a little closer to happening. It will be years until they break ground on either.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I watch every team at least a couple times a year. Both regular and playoffs. Montreal a Lil more than most last year.

Weber from my limited viewing last year. What ive seen over his career watching games and highlights. Is still significantly better than Klefbom and Larsson. He is legit #1. 200 foot player with a feared shot and a great physical presence. His skating, so far anyways, is still "Good" at least.

At the time of the trade there was no question in my mind that Montreal won the trade for at least the next 3 to 5 years. People generally exaggerate how much/quickly elite players decline. Nothing I have seen or heard makes me think Weber is less effective. Montreal fans are incredibly fickle and complaints from them were expected no matter how Weber played. They traded a one dimensional elite defenseman for a complete elite defenseman. Both with bad contracts, albiet Webers worse.

What surprised me is how much PK bought into Nashvilles systems and how much he improved defensively within it. Very tough to say now Montreal won the trade short term. Not because of Webers play but because of Subbans significantly better complete game. Very surprised by Subbans play.

Montreal has a solid blueline still with Price backstopping it. Guys like Petry and Davidson allowed to play within thier limits.

Weber has been a great #1D for a while, wouldnt say he is now. Didnt like what I saw this year and I weigh a ton of what fans from that team say (specifically in their own boards). Hes still a good D but fans that thought they were getting some elite, top 5 D realized they were in for a nasty suprise. For Montreal fans id say its the complete opposite. They want to praise Weber as much as they can because this is the guy they are stuck with. Any fanbase overrates incoming players they just traded for (for the first year at least).

As for that trade: I thought that trade was brutal for the get go. I thought maybe that trade would be a wash for 2 or 3 years and then after Nashville would be significantly better off for the long run. To my suprise, Nashville has walked away the victor after one year. Weber has done nothing for Montreal that Subban didnt already do (aka be an elite first 30 game team, float by till end of season and lead them to a round 1 loss). But Subban did something for Nashville Weber couldnt

Subban didnt just magically buy into a system (inferring he didnt buy into a system in Montreal). He was always elite and good defensively in Montreal and bought into whatever system they had there. Subban was just utilized waaaay better in Nashville and he was able to be used to his full capacity. Subban fits Nashville better because he has way more dynamics to him than Weber ever had. Weber was good defensively (overrated because he hit hard) and good on the PP. He was not a good even strength puck mover. Vs Subban who is an elite puck mover, good defensively and rivals Weber on the PP.

Weber meanwhile will maybe get a bit underrated in the future because he plays for Montreal (same as when Subban did). That team is a tire fire and hell have to be the head of that. But hes already showing hes not all that great anymore and its only getting worse. Not only do I think Klefbom AND Larsson will both be better next season. I would say 25/30 other D will be as well

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
3 weeks till training camp

qVFVO0S.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad