Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Ding Dong Chia's Gone, Oh Dear Mact, Howson and Lowe are Still Here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Spector tweeted out that it was just between Koski's agent and Chia - no one else involved. There seems to be misinformation running around. I'd believe it was the OBC though.
Nicholson clearly answered Spector today on that question. Spec is the only one I saw reporting that it was a one on one. Rishaug, Neilsen and Gregor have all talked about the decision by committee as of late

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The one guy I could see possibly being traded for 'immediate help' is Yamo, if the management don't believe in him developing into the guy they hoped, and they get a good offer. Not saying I would agree with it (depending on the return) but I could see it. Maybe a team would bite on Yamo + 2nd (+ Manning or Spooner to make the cap work) for a 2nd line winger with at least another year on his contract. I doubt it, but who knows. There probably are some possibilities to upgrade the roster if Keith gets creative.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

space321

May 11, 2011
So who else was in on the Koskinen signing? Nicholson and K. Gretzky only? You really believe that? It was all on Chia, our pro scouting an everyone else did a great job?

What? Don't just look at the Koskinen signing. Chiarelli was brought in with full autonomy and he built this team in 4 years, not 1 week. I don't even know what you're trying to say, that Lowe/MacT were the ones controlling the Hall/Eberle/Reinhart trades?

space321

May 11, 2011
Clearly missed the part where they all were in on the Koskinen deal?

At that point Chiarelli was pretty much already gone. I'm not saying the OBC weren't involved recently, and I'm not saying their decisions were 100% correct, as Koskinen is clearly overpaid.

But consider this, when they hired Chiarelli (not part of the OBC) they gave him the reins. There's no reason to believe if they hire someone like Mark Hunter that they won't give him full control.

I'm in a wait and see mood right now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Wow, looking at our cap even without Sekera coming off LTIR, we need to shed one of Rieder's, Spooner's, Benning's, Manning's or Petrovic's salaries to stay cap compliant unless we deal Talbot.

That is $11.2 million tied up in 4th liners/AHL tweeners up front and 6th-8th D on the blueline. That is fugly.

Reactions: WIOiler and dirk41

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
What? Don't just look at the Koskinen signing. Chiarelli was brought in with full autonomy and he built this team in 4 years, not 1 week. I don't even know what you're trying to say, that Lowe/MacT were the ones controlling the Hall/Eberle/Reinhart trades?

Reinhart trade was apparently all ready worked out before Chia.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wow, looking at our cap even without Sekera coming off LTIR, we need to shed one of Rieder's, Spooner's, Benning's, Manning's or Petrovic's salaries to stay cap compliant unless we deal Talbot.

That is $11.2 million tied up in 4th liners/AHL tweeners up front and 6th-8th D on the blueline. That is fugly.

I think Talbot was always being traded during this break.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Spector tweeted out that it was just between Koski's agent and Chia - no one else involved. There seems to be misinformation running around. I'd believe it was the OBC though.
Dumbest tweet I've seen. Of course it was. It was decided by committee to do it. It's a a real estate agent. Were they all going to get on a conference call together with the other agent. Lol

Oh man so many sheep out there reading that spector tweet out in the Twitter universe and laughing. Really makes menwuestion how some people get up day to day and do simple tasks ...

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Spooner, Benning, or Manning

The other two at least have expiring contracts.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At that point Chiarelli was pretty much already gone. I'm not saying the OBC weren't involved recently, and I'm not saying their decisions were 100% correct, as Koskinen is clearly overpaid.

But consider this, when they hired Chiarelli (not part of the OBC) they gave him the reins. There's no reason to believe if they hire someone like Mark Hunter that they won't give him full control.

I'm in a wait and see mood right now.

I REALLY hope that you're right, you have no idea how much I hope that you're right. That said when the new guy is hired, do you think his first choices will be MacT, Howson, K. Gretz and Green for their existing roles? Do you think that any of them get the axe and then gets replaced by the new GM's first choices? Was MacT Chia's first choice?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah, I can get on board with that. As long as any big contract that goes out doesn’t bring a bad contract back, I’m fine with it.

I think this season is a lost cause to improve the roster. Best bet is at the draft.

I'm even cool with the bad contract swap if its in our favour. I'd trade 6m at 4 years left for 5m at 3 years left if that deal exists.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Reinhart trade was apparently all ready worked out before Chia.

That wouldn't surprise me as Lowe had intel into Griff and Green championed him big time. That said Chia still had to put pen to paper on it so if he thought the deal was terrible he could've passed.

I think Talbot was always being traded during this break.

Let's hope so. Clearing out cap would be nice right about now.

Spooner, Benning, or Manning

The other two at least have expiring contracts.

True. We should've walked from Strome and never traded for Manning.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
We have no assets to trade...
Our prospects arent that great..

We are in bad shape

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We have no assets to trade...
Our prospects arent that great..

We are in bad shape

Primarily they need to find a 2nd line winger or center that can produce 50-60 points with Draisaitl and let Draisaitl score 70 on his own. Someone who can finish Drai's feeds and ideally has speed and creativity himself.

They got two years maybe to find that player.

The D ... Klefbom has to stay healthy. It's as simple as that. Any time he is 100% healthy the team is semi-decent. Even before Larsson and Russell got here the 30 games the Oilers had a healthy Klefbom for in 15-16 they were half way decent considering McDavid was hurt. They were around .500. He gets a foot infection and boom ... season over.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Dumbest tweet I've seen. Of course it was. It was decided by committee to do it. It's a a real estate agent. Were they all going to get on a conference call together with the other agent. Lol

Oh man so many sheep out there reading that spector tweet out in the Twitter universe and laughing. Really makes menwuestion how some people get up day to day and do simple tasks ...

I don't know? You can't really believe anything with this group or individuals. "The Earth is flat" - pretty simple to disprove this. BUT:
"Chia worked alone." Seriously, there's no way of knowing.

Obviously the OBC makes the big decisions around here, but I'm not going to stop pointing fingers at everyone, including individuals like Chia and calling them all idiots.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Chia was not the only gunman on the grassy knoll. Clearly he didn't add much positive here besides one playoff run and a bit better drafting or so it seems. That said saying that everything was on him and that none of the rest of the OBC had anything to do with anything is wishful thinking. Why was MacT still here? Howson? Green? To keep airplane seats warm? Break in underwear and jeans for people?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For the record IF Chia were a great GM, IMO things would've still turned out far better in spite of the OBC. Instead he was a piss poor one which had him blend right in with the riff raff we already had in place.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Chia was not the only gunman on the grassy knoll. Clearly he didn't add much positive here besides one playoff run and a bit better drafting or so it seems. That said saying that everything was on him and that none of the rest of the OBC had anything to do with anything is wishful thinking. Why was MacT still here? Howson? Green? To keep airplane seats warm? Break in underwear and jeans for people?

Exactly. It has to be a mishmash here. I don't know what deals he made alone, or those assholes had their sticky fingers in. It's easier to just assume they're all morons.

At the same time, Chia is gone - we should be directing our anger and repulsion towards the OBC group. Whether or not Chia had full autonomy on any or all moves doesn't discredit the dismantling of the Oilers at their helm.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Why is it so hard to believe Chiarelli made the call and wanted Milan Lucic, Adam Larsson, and even Griffin Reinhart (as plan B to the failed Dougie Hamilton trade). And even if you want to say the Reinhart deal he was forced into, we know he wasn't going to take Barzal at that spot anyway, but Eriksson-Ek and we'd be no better off today with him anyway.

Dude doesn't value skill and was always going to build a big, heavy, slow team around McDavid. That's exactly what he built here. It didn't work.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why is it so hard to believe Chiarelli made the call and wanted Milan Lucic, Adam Larsson, and even Griffin Reinhart (as plan B to the failed Dougie Hamilton trade).

Lucic most definitely. Both he and MacT coveted him but Chia really wanted him.

The Hall trade is a bit more complicated beacause IMO the OBC soured on him. The lack of getting additional assets however was all on Chia.

The Griff trade SCREAMS OBC. Lowe's son played with him, Green loved him and wen to bat for him.

The rest of the trades IMO were more at his discretion and we know how they panned out.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The one area that I will say that MacT >>> Chia is in not dealing away solid futures. We need value out of this pick whether we use it or trade it for help right now and beyond this season.

I'd say MacT >>> Chia in most areas tbh. The one thing Chia has over MacT is hiring more proven coaches, but otherwise I don't see how Chia > MacT in any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad