Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXIV: C'est la St. Louis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yes, they played together very well.

As to the Blues offer, we've heard about what they offered over a month ago. What does it become as the clock starts to tick down...?

I doubt it'll increase honestly. What's the risk for them as time runs out? We're talking bout Stewart being an acceptable Callahan substitute for this year and next. That's who they already have. Without upgrading to Callahan they still have a very deep offense that makes them one of the most dangerous teams in the league. It's not like they're failing to jump at a huge upgrade if they don't offer a ton for him. He's better than Stewart, but he's not a superstar, and his demands for the next contract are public and crazy. I just don't see him being valuable enough to that specific team.

Vidic15*

No optimism allowed here.

Cynicism, realism, or radicalism only.

Think of the trade off if MSL gives us 4 good years. Callahan wants 7 years. Callahan would only give us 3 more years of a horrendous contract and god only knows what kind of shape he will be in physically from the way he plays.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Change of pace here, saw a tweet quoting McKenzie as saying Stepan is being discussed as a return for Kesler... It's probably a lie, but go ahead and discuss.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
in case people were worried about him retiring...

4:50PM TSN’s James Duthie was on TSN Radio with Brian Hayes and said that Marty St. Louis wants to continue playing after his contract expires next season.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
If I was Tampa I would rather have a mad MSL for the rest of the year compared to a rental Cally who they have no interest in paying. I think MSL is too much of a professional that he would quit on his team in a playoff run where they could be hosting a first round series.

The questions go away until the season ends once the deadline is over.

Just a couple of things.....

1. MSL from now until he's traded won't/shouldn't play on home ice again....Reasons are fairly obvious, he's requested a trade, imagine the bad pr/fan lashback that would ensue should he return home... How would you folks that attend MSG treat Hank/Girardi/Staal during the game if his demands were made public and you knew he wanted out? I'm guessing it wouldn't be to nice.. That isn't good for anyone involved, whether it's MSL, the other player's etc... As pointed out, this isn't done yet and might drag on into next week, "ONLY" reason being the Lightning don't play at home again until the 6th. EOS

2. People comparing this deal to the Nash saga...Two different stories. For starters, Howson was a moron, not a respected player from the not to distant past. I can almost guarantee that Stevie Y wants to get the distraction out of the way. It's just a plain bad situation for all involved. On top of that, being a player from the not to distant past, he also knows he shouldn't keep MSL hostage through the end of the season and possibly beyond. I think he still respects player's enough to treat them with the kind of dignity he would like to be treated with if he were still playing.

Sure it's an unfortunate situation for the Tampa organization as a whole.. But with their management I think they'll handle the situation in a much more timely, professional manner than Howson decided to run his.. Time for all involved to lick their wounds and move on, it's not something you'd want to drag out (unless you're Howson)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I guess the downside of MSL would be if it affects us buying out Richards?

I hope this happens ASAP.

My gut tells me Richards ends up on LW with Miller as his center next season riding shotgun with MSL.

The buyout regarding Richards emanated from him working with NHLPA and not training last season when he came to camp and couldn't give a solid 45 second shift.

Rift occurred between Torts and Richie. If the Rangers can get Vanek (unlikely since he is going to Minny) or Moulson (possible since his family wants to stay in the NY area) then I see a Richards buyout.

Otherwise I have my doubts, and can see Dolan stepping in and saying no because he fears Richie signing in Brooklyn.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Change of pace here, saw a tweet quoting McKenzie as saying Stepan is being discussed as a return for Kesler... It's probably a lie, but go ahead and discuss.

Ugh, no. The idea here should be to have a 1-2 punch of Stepan and Kesler. Some salary would have to go back to VAN, can't just be picks and prospects.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If you saw the same tweet as me, he just said McKenzie threw that out there. Sounds more like speculation?

Larry Melnyk

Feb 27, 2002
Gloomsville, USA
Visit site
Newsflash.....

The Rangers are 2nd in the division and aren't rebuilding......

If the Rangers are trading Callahan and/or Girardi they better get back NHL talent. This obsession with prospects (who often don't pan out) and late 1st round picks (that often don't pan out) is borderline crazy.

It's wrong to say anything can happen to the team but the whole basis of getting prospects and picks is ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!

Bu bu but SoS we can't lose Callahan for nothing! So lets trade him for prospects and picks that very likely will turn into nothing.

The double standard on this board is really ridiculous. If fans want the current team to get better those fans are idiots because they aren't thinking long term.

Would MSL for Callahan make the Rangers better the rest of this year and next? Opportunity cost? The Rangers could possibly improve the team NOW, a team that isn't that far away and we are *****ing about opportunities....lost.....3 years from now....

Maybe I'm old school..or just old...But I'm with you...Object of the game is to win EVERY year....The Ramgers have been in limbo for awhile...Do we forget who will be in charge of the "rebuilding" with prospects?...Didn't it work out great for Edmonton, the Isles, Ottawa and others.? ....I couldn't care less about young vs old...I care about good vs bad....

And I am not seeing the shiny prospects given up for worn out vets here...I am seeing one of the best scorers in the game being brought in.....and with a little more fine tuning this team---which even now can probably handle most teams in the EAST might stand a chance of winning it, even if not a favorite....As Lil Stevie Forbert said, You can not win if you do not play(pay)...

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Kesler has been on a decline and injured as much as Callahan lately.. oye.. but if healthy he's obviously still pretty damn good

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 1m
Dreger "I've heard Pittsburgh for Callahan and the Martin St.Louis for Callahan rumour won't go away"

Dreger "if the Rangers need to be willing to beef up the Callahan package for St.Louis"

Dreger "Callahan is looking for upwards of $7 million dollars a year"

Dreger "I can't see any NHL team giving that money to Callahan"

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 3m
Dreger "I've heard Pittsburgh for Callahan and the Martin St.Louis for Callahan rumour won't go away"

Punxrocknyc19*

Kesler has been on a decline and injured as much as Callahan lately.. oye.. but if healthy he's obviously still pretty damn good

makes 5.0 which is less than Callahan will make and has had 2 70 point season. id love to see Callahan do that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad