Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXIV: C'est la St. Louis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I still believe that MSL would like to come to New York because he would be close to home more than anything. I'm sure the olympic snub may be a factor, but I dont think is the biggest one at all.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm hoping this happens before the deadline. Send a mid round pick and a mid level prospect with Cally. Some of you will act like that's selling the farm but the truth of the matter is the percentage than even a 1d round draft pick becomes an impact player or that one of our mid level prospects does the same , is so low.

This wouldn't be a "same old Sather move". Trading Kreider and a 1st would be. Singning MSL to a 5 year 7 million contract would be.

Cally + 2nd/3rd+ Hrivik for Marty St. Louis would be robbery considering Callys demands.

That's the thing - it's not the cost, it's the opportunity cost.

Even if Slats can get STL back in an even swap for Cally, that's not the trade he should be making. He should be selling Cally to StL (the team) or some other club for picks/prospects/young players. The reason I'll be incensed is that opportunity lost, not the addition of a 3rd round pick and Marek Hrivik (even though I am starting to have hopes for again as a prospect after watching him over the last month).

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

Even if Slats can get STL back in an even swap for Cally, that's not the trade he should be making. He should be selling Cally to StL (the team) or some other club for picks/prospects/young players. The reason I'll be incensed is that opportunity lost, not the addition of a 3rd round pick and Marek Hrivik (even though I am starting to have hopes for again as a prospect after watching him over the last month).

I think you always take the best deal regardless of an age factor.. unless the young players are NHL ready and ready to contribute. Its not a "win at all costs" mentality, but I'm tired of the Rangers wasting all of Lundqvist's years.

Punxrocknyc19*

How many good Eastern European prospects does that stupid team have :laugh:

can the Rangers snag one of their goalie prospects in the Bolts deal if a deal is made?? why dont fans think that it is not important to have a goalie prospects that have some NHL potential at the AHL level?? do Rangers management really want the youth in Hartford to play on a bad team?? why cant the Rangers have solid goaltending throughout the whole organzation?? kings ducks bolts have depth in goalie prospects.. only the Wolfpack would have some 30 year old AHL vet that will never step on the NHL ice as a player trying to help them win... im sorry but the lack of goalie prospects will hurt sooner than later....

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

If you're STL (the team) with their absurd forward depth, do you trade promising prospects and high picks for a few months of Ryan Callahan?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Yeah no, it's highly likely that if MSL changed his mind it had more to do with his family and winning a Gold Medal. But I don't think that gold medal remedies the situation and I am pretty sure his family would want him closer. If anything it has players in Tampa wondering why management would treat their longest tenured player like that. Rangers players probably can't convince Callahan to take less money... These are adults we're talking about.

Who said we weren't talking about adults? Why did you need to point that out and why start with "yeah, no" as if I was making a serious legitimate point and arguing it? It was a hypothetical 'what if' that was not serious in anyway, shape or form. You've been fairly condescending and moody to several people what's the problem kiddo?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the idea of msl on this roster this year and next is intriguing. once you come to that place where you can say goodbye to cally, the thought of msl in our top 6 becomes more realistic.

if i had to choose i take msl for his remaining contract ( and his scoring which we desperately need over 7 more years of ryan callahan.

and i dont like anything else ive heard better from st louis.

BUT....this team still has huge issues at center that msl doesnt address.

im torn

Todd Harvey

Dec 29, 2013
This whole thing is getting to be a pisser; which is why I think it gets locked down tonight, announced tomorrow;

For one, im thinking of posters who (rightly IMO) slammed the Rangers for not developing big-time, top-end talent (though from their draft positions IDK how fair that is). Either way, they havent drafted or traded up to draft it or just traded for, except in rare cases of guys like McD.

Same time, who needs it when premier players like Nash & MSL are using their NMCs to target NY? LOL.

Other thing is, this guy Duthie suddenly remembers having a beer with St louis before Sochi 2010 and introduces the notion of MSL accepting a trade somewhere other than NY.
I dont think thats a big concern, cause I think its nearing completion. But it is something to watch the wheels go round & round.

“It doesn’t surprise me. Marty has a wife from Connecticut and years ago we were having a beer at an All-Star game and he talked about how one day he would like to come back and finish his career in the North East, Rangers obviously…maybe Montreal but somewhere like that. I was surprised when he signed his extension in TB because I thought that would be his time to move but probably because of Stamkos had something to do with it. They offered him good money to stay around. I have a feeling that this was all going on in his mind before it all happened with Team Canada and the Canada thing was probably the straw that broke the camels back. I truly believe that he wants out. His denial today was probably one of those where if you don’t want to be traded you say that you don’t want to be traded so it’s so obvious to read between the lines. He wants to be traded.†(James Duthie on The Brian Hayes Show on TSN)

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
If you're STL (the team) with their absurd forward depth, do you trade promising prospects and high picks for a few months of Ryan Callahan?

You realize you can only play so many of those forwards at one time, you think you've got a real shot at the cup and you just finished watching Cally and Backes mesh extremely well at the highest level of competition. Yes, I do.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
You realize you can only play so many of those forwards at one time, you think you've got a real shot at the cup and you just finished watching Cally and Backes mesh extremely well at the highest level of competition. Yes, I do.

I definitely agree with this, seemed Backes really liked playing with Callahan that could defintely be a factor.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
can the Rangers snag one of their goalie prospects in the Bolts deal if a deal is made?? why dont fans think that it is not important to have a goalie prospects that have some NHL potential at the AHL level??

It's important, but acquiring a backup to our backup isn't as much of a priority as getting a PMD or getting a top 6 LW.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Who said we weren't talking about adults? Why did you need to point that out and why start with "yeah, no" as if I was making a serious legitimate point and arguing it? It was a hypothetical 'what if' that was not serious in anyway, shape or form. You've been fairly condescending and moody to several people what's the problem kiddo?

Stupidity aggravates me.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
this is gonna be Nash all over again.. lets hope it doesn't turn into as many posts/threads needed that it did for that though..

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This whole thing is getting to be a pisser; which is why I think it gets locked down tonight, announced tomorrow;

For one, im thinking of posters who (rightly IMO) slammed the Rangers for not developing big-time, top-end talent (though from their draft positions IDK how fair that is). Either way, they havent drafted or traded up to draft it or just traded for, except in rare cases of guys like McD.

Same time, who needs it when premier players like Nash & MSL are using their NMCs to target NY? LOL.

Other thing is, this guy Duthie suddenly remembers having a beer with St louis before Sochi 2010 and introduces the notion of MSL accepting a trade somewhere other than NY.
I dont think thats a big concern, cause I think its nearing completion. But it is something to watch the wheels go round & round.

“It doesn’t surprise me. Marty has a wife from Connecticut and years ago we were having a beer at an All-Star game and he talked about how one day he would like to come back and finish his career in the North East, Rangers obviously…maybe Montreal but somewhere like that. I was surprised when he signed his extension in TB because I thought that would be his time to move but probably because of Stamkos had something to do with it. They offered him good money to stay around. I have a feeling that this was all going on in his mind before it all happened with Team Canada and the Canada thing was probably the straw that broke the camels back. I truly believe that he wants out. His denial today was probably one of those where if you don’t want to be traded you say that you don’t want to be traded so it’s so obvious to read between the lines. He wants to be traded.†(James Duthie on The Brian Hayes Show on TSN)

I havent seen one legitimate thought from you as to why you think this thing is so imminent. Just a gut feeling?

Brooks shot down a 1 for 1 swap for MSL. When you start adding assets, how appealing does this become to the Rangers?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
MSL is a better player than anything we will get from the blues. it seems we either trade cally to the blues for stewart and a 2nd or trade cally and a 2nd for MSL. Stewart has the same length remaining on his contract as MSL and MSL is 10X the player Stewart is, even at his age. there is no situation where the rangers get some stud who will lead us to a cup in 3 years. MSL gives us the best shot at a cup during hanks prime. If MSL really is available for the right price i think we should go for it.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
this is gonna be Nash all over again.. lets hope it doesn't turn into as many posts/threads needed that it did for that though..

i really hope it gets done before the deadline. dont need a replay of that trade. although i blame Howson for being a clown so i think SY might handle this better, at least i hope so.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Fair enough. I understand that point if view. I simply think that St. Louis would be a better "haul" for Callahan than a mediocre roster player and a late 1st/ early 2nd. Which seems to be what teams would be willing to give up for him considering his contract demands and such.

I'm intrigued I a three team deal could be worked out (as others have pointed out) the Blues really want Cally. So we only have to give up Cally to the Blues, we get MSL and the Lightning get Stewart and a 1st/2nd.

At this point it seems heavily in favor of MSL being traded here, at this point it's about Stevie Y figuring out how to get enough for him to save face.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
the idea of msl on this roster this year and next is intriguing. once you come to that place where you can say goodbye to cally, the thought of msl in our top 6 becomes more realistic.

if i had to choose i take msl for his remaining contract ( and his scoring which we desperately need over 7 more years of ryan callahan.

and i dont like anything else ive heard better from st louis.

BUT....this team still has huge issues at center that msl doesnt address.

im torn

My fear is that we'll trade Cally + for MSL, we won't get past the 2nd round either this year or next, and then MSL will retire. Then what are we left with? By trading for MSL, we are basically saying that we are going for the cup now. I hope it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad