Trade Rumor and Speculations || Draft Anxiety Intensifies

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

I also don't get this move out ALL old assets but edler. Edler is probably the most valuable trade chip this organization has.

If you want to rebuild he could be the guy to get it going faster IMO.

Should return 3 pieces one being a 1st round pick the other being a blue chip type prospect.

Adding another 1st and blue chip prospect to a mid 1st and hopefully another couple (Hamhuis and vrbata at the deadline) plus the blue chip prospect coupled with hopefully positive development from those already in the system and we'll have a nice stable to build around.

The Twins aren't going anywhere. They'll retires early before they get traded. Teams won't be selling big packages to for 34/35 year olds that need to fit together. They need all the reps in the PP. I don't see any teams close to contending going that direction.

To me Edler is the guy that should get shopped before he gets too old and not worth as much. Edler isn't really a leader so I don't see much mentoring coming from him and if everyone says we aren't contending while the twins are around why not move edler? He's not going to be a difference maker in 5 years when hopefully we're back to being a contender.

It just kind of sucks watching the rest of the division find ways to continue to get young talent in their systems. Arizona, Calgary, and Edmonton will all be formidable in 3-4 years and that's when people expect us to hit the bottom. I'd rather push hard to get worse now with hopes that in 3-4 years we're on the upswing with the rest of our division rivals.

We need a crown jewel type of prospect now. A top end dman or a clear cut first line type prospect. The only/easiest way to get those is at the top of the draft.

And if we're able to "build that" the talent (FA's) will come.

If we have what looks like an up and coming roster with cap space to spare we can shoot hard for Ryan Johansen when the time comes.

We have to set the table for that first.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I also don't get this move out ALL old assets but edler. Edler is probably the most valuable trade chip this organization has.

Should return 3 pieces one being a 1st round pick the other being a blue chip type prospect.

Adding another 1st and blue chip prospect to a mid 1st and hopefully another couple (Hamhuis and vrbata at the deadline) plus the blue chip prospect coupled with hopefully positive development from those already in the system and we'll have a nice stable to build around.

The Twins aren't going anywhere. They'll retires early before they get traded. Teams won't be selling big packages to for 34/35 year olds that need to fit together. They need all the reps in the PP. I don't see any teams close to contending going that direction.

To me Edler is the guy that should get shopped before he gets too old and not worth as much. Edler isn't really a leader so I don't see much mentoring coming from him and if everyone says we aren't contending while the twins are around why not move edler? He's not going to be a difference maker in 5 years when hopefully we're back to being a contender.

It just kind of sucks watching the rest of the division find ways to continue to get young talent in their systems. Arizona, Calgary, and Edmonton will all be formidable in 3-4 years and that's when people expect us to hit the bottom. I'd rather push hard to get worse now with hopes that in 3-4 years we're on the upswing with the rest of our division rivals.

We need a crown jewel type of prospect now. A top end dman or a clear cut first line type prospect. The only/easiest way to get those is at the top of the draft.

If we have what looks like an up and coming roster with cap space to spare we can shoot hard for Ryan Johansen when the time comes.

Actually makes sense to keep Hamhuis and trade Edler away. Hamhuis wants to stay at home and probably has a couple more years to give, he can shield kids that comes in the next couple of years.
Tanev should be able to baby **** almost anybody, even Sbisa.

Would be great if we can pry a young dman from Pitts and get a 1st rounder as well.

Hamhuis - Corrado
Sbisa - Tanev
???? - Clendening

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

With Benning's negotiating ability, I think he gets a second for Edler.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
This.

Signing a four year extension with the Sedins is Aquilini's biggest mistake. He effectively blocked the team from further development. Players do not support the Sedin model for the game. A cycling attack doesn't work in the playoffs and players want rings. End.

All teams cycle as part of their offense. It's not just a Sedin thing.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
All teams cycle as part of their offense. It's not just a Sedin thing.

We just don't have any point shots that can get through to the net.

Look at Chicago, Ana and Tampa. A whole lot of the goals they scored in the playoffs come from a shot from the point that gets either deflected in or creates a rebound that gets put in.

Look at us, we got NOTHING from our blueline, hell even Calgary killed us because of the scoring from their D. It's easy to say oh the cycle doesn't work, but you have to look at WHY it doesn't work. Teams are going to collapse hard when they know your D are useless.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver

I couldn't agree more. If this was the prevailing thought amongst Canuck fans, maybe the Aquilini's would lift their mandate.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I couldn't agree more. If this was the prevailing thought amongst Canuck fans, maybe the Aquilini's would lift their mandate.

sadly, it isn't even close. The average fan still thinks we are good and can be retooled and compete. I've only finally come around to it this year. I didn't think we were good enough last year but the team rebounded. I accepted it and had faith the team could do some damage. One last hurrah with a favourable bracket. It wasn't even close to threatening. Losing to the 16th ranked team in the playoffs that was missing their best player while we were nearly completely healthy was the last straw for me.

The writing is on the wall. The ducks have a few more years of quality with the players they have.

Calgary has the most offensive d-core in the league. They are going to be right in the thick of things, have a young 1c and multiple 1-2 d-men. Anyone downplaying the likes of Giordano, Hamilton, and Brodie is nuts. Russell, Wideman, and a much lesser extent Engllend play their parts well. They have a lot of cap space to go splash around.

The Sharks are much like the Canucks. probably good enough to compete for the playoffs but not good enough to do anything with it.

I think the Kings get back in next year. they have the 1c,1d,1g

Edmonton has to break through at some point. They have their 1,2,3 centres. They are going to be like Dallas this coming year unless they find a few dmen.

Arizona is going to continue their rebuild. They have much higher quality in their system than we do.

We are in limbo here.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
We just don't have any point shots that can get through to the net.

Look at Chicago, Ana and Tampa. A whole lot of the goals they scored in the playoffs come from a shot from the point that gets either deflected in or creates a rebound that gets put in.

Look at us, we got NOTHING from our blueline, hell even Calgary killed us because of the scoring from their D. It's easy to say oh the cycle doesn't work, but you have to look at WHY it doesn't work. Teams are going to collapse hard when they know your D are useless.

Yeah exactly. Losing Ehrhoff and then Garrison didn't help either.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah exactly. Losing Ehrhoff and then Garrison didn't help either.

I think I am high on Corrado because he seems like he has a knack for getting the puck through.
Hopefully Subban pans out as well, the guy has offense oozing from his pores.

I wish we could've picked somebody with higher offense upside than Brisebois but it's not a bad pick I suppose.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
sadly, it isn't even close. The average fan still thinks we are good and can be retooled and compete. I've only finally come around to it this year. I didn't think we were good enough last year but the team rebounded. I accepted it and had faith the team could do some damage. One last hurrah with a favourable bracket. It wasn't even close to threatening. Losing to the 16th ranked team in the playoffs that was missing their best player while we were nearly completely healthy was the last straw for me.

The writing is on the wall. The ducks have a few more years of quality with the players they have.

Calgary has the most offensive d-core in the league. They are going to be right in the thick of things, have a young 1c and multiple 1-2 d-men. Anyone downplaying the likes of Giordano, Hamilton, and Brodie is nuts. Russell, Wideman, and a much lesser extent Engllend play their parts well. They have a lot of cap space to go splash around.

The Sharks are much like the Canucks. probably good enough to compete for the playoffs but not good enough to do anything with it.

I think the Kings get back in next year. they have the 1c,1d,1g

Edmonton has to break through at some point. They have their 1,2,3 centres. They are going to be like Dallas this coming year unless they find a few dmen.

Arizona is going to continue their rebuild. They have much higher quality in their system than we do.

We are in limbo here.

If the teams that finished below us last year rebound or take steps forward (Dallas, SJ, Calgary, Edm) and we decline even slightly (such as through the trading of Lack and Bieksa or further decline of Miller and other vets) then 2015-16 should be the year that finally forces the management group to accept the reality that has been apparent to this fanbase for the last couple of years, namely that this team is not "competing" in any meaningful sense. Then the fist-pumping mantra of "make the playoffs" can finally be ditched and we can collectively get on the same page of building a collection of players that in 4-5 years can be legitimately competing for the cup.

Hope for a bad 2015-16, regardless of the draft and picks that would entail. Just as important is the "wake up" it would send to management.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think I am high on Corrado because he seems like he has a knack for getting the puck through.
Hopefully Subban pans out as well, the guy has offense oozing from his pores.

I wish we could've picked somebody with higher offense upside than Brisebois but it's not a bad pick I suppose.

Not a sexy pick for sure, but if he has a Tanev-like upside that is great value for a 3rd. Given our shallow defensive depth perhaps a "safe" pick makes more sense than a boom/bust like Kylington or Pilon. There will be better, less risky offensive D available in the top 10-15 of the draft (any draft, not just next year) that we will have a shot at soon.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Not a sexy pick for sure, but if he has a Tanev-like upside that is great value for a 3rd. Given our shallow defensive depth perhaps a "safe" pick makes more sense than a boom/bust like Kylington or Pilon. There will be better, less risky offensive D available in the top 10-15 of the draft (any draft, not just next year) that we will have a shot at soon.

I suppose our depth for D is so shallow we might as well be safer before going for boom/bust prospects, especially considering Subban ad Hutton are pretty boom/bust.

Hopefully we load up big time in the next draft, I feel like I am repeating myself for the last couple years in that front. It's better to start loading up now because D really takes the longest compare to forwards.

okSourdough

Mar 27, 2010
If 2016 has as strong a draft class as Benning says it does then trading Edler for a 2016 1st ++ is a must. Then we do our best to get in on the Austin Mathews lottery. If we can manage to pick up a few more 2nds we could have this team rebuilt very quickly what with all the other pieces we currently have coming up. I for one can handle tanking if it means that we have a realistic shot at getting ourselves to a point where we can actually compete for the cup in 5 or 6 years.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Nice post. My thoughts as well.

Tanev has a higher points/60 min at 5v5 over the last 2 seasons so Edler has completely lost his offensive abilities these days and I don't view him as a shutdown dman when he's not paired with Tanev.

The only issue here is his NTC which will limit the return.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Damn.... I wanted him to sign...

@NEWS1130Sports: Been told that #Canucks ufa Brad Richardson is hitting the market tomorrow. There will be no last minute deal with Vancouver.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Nice post. My thoughts as well.

Tanev has a higher points/60 min at 5v5 over the last 2 seasons so Edler has completely lost his offensive abilities these days and I don't view him as a shutdown dman when he's not paired with Tanev.

The only issue here is his NTC which will limit the return.

Nearly a point/game to end the season says he hasn't lost it completely.

I'll take 31 points in 74 games with the defensive improvement over the old Edler.

And he was decent when not paired with Tanev last season (sample was small, I know). Better than Tanev when he wasn't paired with Edler, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd still trade him for the right package.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

wow 100% agreed. I would be working on Edler to wave his NTC at the deadline. Would get a kings ransom
For him.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009

@NEWS1130Sports: Been told that #Canucks ufa Brad Richardson is hitting the market tomorrow. There will be no last minute deal with Vancouver.

Rats.

Richardson made the bottom six sing when he was healthy last year. Very useful utility player playing meaningful minutes will be hard to replace. Hopefully Linden Vey is practicing his faceoffs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Well, now that we've kept a markedly inferior player in Vey ... not much room.

Best of luck to Richardson. Was having a terrific season last year until his injury.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
If we trade edler would we get a 2016 1st?

Lol....

End up trading Edler for a 3rd because our GM sucks at trades. I wish they would take his phone away and just let him go on his scouting missions where he can't hurt us.

I don't trust this guy getting full value for anyone. Hope he proves me wrong and actually makes some good trades for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad