Trade Rumor and Speculations || Draft Anxiety Intensifies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yes, I also found that irritating. You don't go out and announce what you want in return for your player before gauging the market place. Linden announced Thursday that there was "no chance" they'd trade up in the draft. Benning was on later saying that they wanted a "second or third" for Lack. Just keep your mouths shut FFS. I used to like that Benning was an open book, but there is something to be said for the way Gillis conducted his affairs.

You think the fact that Benning announced his intentions to get a 2nd for Lack has prevented other GM's from offering 1st round picks for Lack? So Lack is legitimately worth a 1st and only Benning tipping his hand has devalued that value to somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd?

For real??

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
You think the fact that Benning announced his intentions to get a 2nd for Lack has prevented other GM's from offering 1st round picks for Lack? So Lack is legitimately worth a 1st and only Benning tipping his hand has devalued that value to somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd?

For real??

You think a GM is going to offer a first round pick for an asset to another GM that the latter GM publicly stated was worth a second round pick? Why would anyone offer the first???

This isn't of course to say that Lack is or was worth a first, that is a totally different question.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You think a GM is going to offer a first round pick for an asset to another GM that the latter GM publicly stated was worth a second round pick? Why would anyone offer the first???

This isn't of course to say that Lack is or was worth a first, that is a totally different question.

They were never going to offer a first for Lack. What Benning said has nothing to do with that reality.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
They were never going to offer a first for Lack. What Benning said has nothing to do with that reality.

I follow your logic; however, I am not sure how Benning's public announcement helped his negotiation position.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I follow your logic; however, I am not sure how Benning's public announcement helped his negotiation position.

It didn't help, it didn't hurt. It should have helped fans set their expectations at a reasonable level. That's about all it was meant to do.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
It didn't help, it didn't hurt. It should have helped fans set their expectations at a reasonable level. That's about all it was meant to do.

Nope, people still think he is worth what schneider was...

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'm also quite disappointed that there have been no rumors of the Canucks shopping Vrbata. I still think we could get a 1st for him.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Exactly, Schneider was a much much better goalie than Lack at the time of the trade. Schneider should have gotten 9th+something.

Lack will be lucky to get us a 33rd in a deeper draft.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

I think it probably did hurt a bit though. It is a pretty standard negotiation tactic to set the price higher than you expect to receive. I suppose it doesn't "hurt" if you think that adage is totally false.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I'm also quite disappointed that there have been no rumors of the Canucks shopping Vrbata. I still think we could get a 1st for him.

Probably more than a first given his salary, a 30 goal sniper with 1 year left on a reasonable deal could fetch a decent price. Even more if we retain salary for a team without cap room.

Of course the flip side is as much as we want to trade everyone, management will have a lot of fun explaining it to fans if suddenly multiple players are dealt for prospect/picks when we are suppose to be retooling not rebuilding.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think it probably did hurt a bit though. It is a pretty standard negotiation tactic to set the price higher than you expect to receive. I suppose it doesn't "hurt" if you think that adage is totally false.

It only helps if it is a credible position. Asking $1M for my condo will likely result in people simply looking elsewhere. I don't think anyone would think Benning *actually* valued at a 1st, but I suppose anything is technically possible. Just don't think its worth the angst that some posters are showing. It *probably* didn't change a thing.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Well if it's true that a 1st has been offered for Talbot, why wouldn't Lack be worth at least that if not more?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It only helps if it is a credible position. Asking $1M for my condo will likely result in people simply looking elsewhere. I don't think anyone would think Benning *actually* valued at a 1st, but I suppose anything is technically possible. Just don't think its worth the angst that some posters are showing. It *probably* didn't change a thing.

Your probably right in that it wasn't a big difference maker, but I don't think asking for a late first round pick and expecting to get a second round pick is unreasonable at all.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Ben Kuzma@benkuzma
#Sharks had no problem taking Swiss winger Timo Meier at No. 9. Having much harder time signing Bieksa to extension. #tradesnag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad