Trade Rumor and Speculations || Draft Anxiety Intensifies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Sedins have 3 years left. besides, they should retire Canucks

Flames have $8 million coming off the books after this upcoming season.

(not saying they'd be interested in Hank & Daniel - just saying it is possible to fit their contracts on their roster; plus I'd assume SOME cap hits in terms of a player(s) would be coming back).

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Sedins have 3 years left. besides, they should retire Canucks

And that is the mentality that will lead this franchise to never win a cup...ever.

Why would you keep your best assets that if traded could return you the cornerstone pieces to lead this team on a cup run in the future??

The Sedins will never see a serious cup run again in Vancouver, maybe a first round exit again but no run beyond that, they deserve a legit shot at winning the cup not being the laughing stock of the western conference

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
What i don't get is why only Bieksa is being shopped? Every one of our core group should have been up for grabs at the draft....Starting with the Twins.

This.

Signing a four year extension with the Sedins is Aquilini's biggest mistake. He effectively blocked the team from further development. Players do not support the Sedin model for the game. A cycling attack doesn't work in the playoffs and players want rings. End.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
This.

Signing a four year extension with the Sedins is Aquilini's biggest mistake. He effectively blocked the team from further development. Players do not support the Sedin model for the game. A cycling attack doesn't work in the playoffs and players want rings. End.

Oh come on...this was like two pages ago....all we "know" about now is beiksa...we certainly didn't know they were shopping him(regardless of what some say). We most likely don't know about other players that may be moving.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
And that is the mentality that will lead this franchise to never win a cup...ever.

Too early imo to even consider moving the Sedins. Call me a pie-eyed optimist but I still see another run at the Cup with the Sedins wearing the Orxa. It will require a couple accelerated development curves no doubt, but it's looking like we have 1 already in Bo. If Baertschi and Virtannen can have good rookie years, suddenly we've got a kid line providing offence behind the Sedins in 2016/7.

Big if, but if that happens with pretty much all the big $$$ contracts coming off the books in the next couple of seasons and being replaced by elcs, we'll be primed to add that final Marian Hossa-type UFA piece for another run in 2017/8.

How Benning handles.the dismantling of the core around the Sedins will determine whether they are still relevant when a new.core emerges. Need a break from the hockey gods though, so never mind.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Too early imo to even consider moving the Sedins. Call me a pie-eyed optimist but I still see another run at the Cup with the Sedins wearing the Orxa. It will require a couple accelerated development curves no doubt, but it's looking like we have 1 already in Bo. If Baertschi and Virtannen can have good rookie years, suddenly we've got a kid line providing offence behind the Sedins in 2016/7.

Big if, but if that happens with pretty much all the big $$$ contracts coming off the books in the next couple of seasons and being replaced by elcs, we'll be primed to add that final Marian Hossa-type UFA piece for another run in 2017/8.

How Benning handles.the dismantling of the core around the Sedins will determine whether they are still relevant when a new.core emerges. Need a break from the hockey gods though, so never mind.

There will always be big ifs but I am tired of or GMs and risking the future on what ifs. Just tired of watching assets being wasted on the hope we can make a run, we are too small, to slow and beyond the 1st line not skilled enough to compete with the Chicagos and Anaheims and LAs of the west

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006

Another run with this core? Smh these guys can't even get out of the 1st round.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

I know it's tough because we were so close, but we need to move on and rebuild. We aren't going to win a cup with the Sedins leading the team, they're past their prime and don't have the supporting cast they once had. I'm not saying trade them, but we can't go giving up young assets for veterans. That will just slow the rebuild process down. We have excellent prospects/young players in Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Baertschi, McCann, Shinkaruk, Kassian, Gaunce, Cassels, Corrado, Subban, Grenier, Kenins, Demko etc. We just need to build on that and not go for the cup.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
I know it's tough because we were so close, but we need to move on and rebuild. We aren't going to win a cup with the Sedins leading the team, they're past their prime and don't have the supporting cast they once had. I'm not saying trade them, but we can't go giving up young assets for veterans. That will just slow the rebuild process down. We have excellent prospects/young players in Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Baertschi, McCann, Shinkaruk, Kassian, Gaunce, Cassels, Corrado, Subban, Grenier, Kenins, Demko etc. We just need to build on that and not go for the cup.

This is my exact thoughts for us to be competitve for another run we will have to give up young assets.

Say we do trade the Sedins to Anaheim for Theodore, Silfverberg, Ritchie, Jacob Larsson and a 1st. After that we can deal Vrbata for a prospect and a pick and Hamhuis for a prospect and a pick.

Having Horvat, McCann Cassels, Gaunce, Virtanen, Shinkaurak, Ritchie Silfverberg, baertschi, Vey Boeser as Forwards and Subban, Hutton, Corrado, Clendenning, Tryamkin, Brisebois, Larsson and Pedan on Defence moving forward is a lot better than moving out 3-4 of those prospects in trades trying to acquire players for a run...All we would be doing is pushing back our rebuild and loosing value on our veteran return

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying we move pieces to go for the cup. I'm saying move out all the old blood except for the Sedins, and Edler-Tanev and let a new core centered on Horvat emerge while the Sedins are still productive players. I'd say we have 3, maybe 4, good Sedin years left. That could be enough time to get a push from below.

Big reason CHI's first cup team was so strong was because they had Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook all on ELCs. Sure they had some top 5 picks in there, but not all are. I'm not saying Horvat will be the next Toews, but early indications are Horvat is going to be an impact player during his ELC. If we can have 2 or 3 more prospects do likewise over the next 2 years then another shot for the Sedins isn't out of the question.

In the meantime, we need to start facilitating the transition from old core to new. Like Gretzky said, you miss on 100% of the ELCs that don't get a shot. Jettison the old for picks and prospects, and let said prospects perculate up around the twins. Horvat's quick development gives this retool on the fly a chance. No way you move the Sedins yet.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying we move pieces to go for the cup. I'm saying move out all the old blood except for the Sedins, and Edler-Tanev and let a new core centered on Horvat emerge while the Sedins are still productive players. I'd say we have 3, maybe 4, good Sedin years left. That could be enough time to get a push from below.

Big reason CHI's first cup team was so strong was because they had Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook all on ELCs. Sure they had some top 5 picks in there, but not all are. I'm not saying Horvat will be the next Toews, but early indications are Horvat is going to be an impact player during his ELC. If we can have 2 or 3 more prospects do likewise over the next 2 years then another shot for the Sedins isn't out of the question.

In the meantime, we need to start facilitating the transition from old core to new. Like Gretzky said, you miss on 100% of the ELCs that don't get a shot. Jettison the old for picks and prospects, and let said prospects perculate up around the twins. Horvat's quick development gives this retool on the fly a chance. No way you move the Sedins yet.

I like the idea of this. I really want this. I think Horvat is going to be a 1st line player as well. However, unless we feed in 2 Ekblad type phenoms it's just not going to happen.

Also, I don't think this management team is the one to do it. Retooling on the fly requires surgical precision and we've got ourselves a butcher at the helm, not a doctor.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA

I agree with you 100%.

But I think the time to do this was last year. One of the reasons I was so filthy about Gillis going and the lack of a mid-year Kesler trade and sell off (whether his fault or ownership's). If we had snared, say, Bennett last year, and gotten high 1st round picks this year, I think we could have done it.

I still think it's worth a shot. But I think that ship has sailed, especially with the noise from management about competing.

Last edited:

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
But I think the time to do this was last year. One of the reasons I was so filthy about Gillis going and the lack of a mid-year Kesler trade and sell off (whether his fault or ownerships). If we had snared, say, Bennett last year, and gotten high 1st round picks this year, I think we could have done it.

Ugh. Ugggh. Ugggggh!

Damn it. That sounds pretty damned marvellous in hindsight.

arsmaster*

Where are all the rumours. It seems last year we heard lots of murmuring about FA's signing in certain spots ahead of July 1st (Miller was reported to be landing here for about a week).

You'd think with the new window of allowing teams to speak with FA's wojld have lead to more chatter.

It's been pretty quiet.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Well the FA class does blow goats.. I guess the big defensemen are Franson and Green?

I honestly can't even think offhand of who the most compelling forward free agent is..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad