Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXIII: Clever Title Pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Given that they created the blocker for Zuccarello by adding a player who is 12 years his senior, I'd say you're right about that.

That effectively sums up Glen Sather's ability to see this team's future direction.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
Can someone please try to convince me that the following won't happen:

Buyout Richards; Sign Stasny.

Watch as Stasny puts up mediocre 40-50 point seasons until the next lockout comes and we can buy him out?

This is right outta Sather's textbook, but please can someone give me hope that this won't happen?

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012

Watch as Stasny puts up mediocre 40-50 point seasons until the next lockout comes and we can buy him out?

This is right outta Sather's textbook, but please can someone give me hope that this won't happen?

Maybe Stastny doesn't want to sign up for the circus that is the NYR

AHB*

Probably won't happen.

Most likely...

Rangers keep Richards & Nash. Staal will walk.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
Maybe Stastny doesn't want to sign up for the circus that is the NYR

I dunno, seems like a guy who might want to grab a huge contract to close out his career. One of my law school buddies is an avs fan, he seems to think that Stastny is the odd man out because they wont have enough cap space to sign him to the type of contract he wants and still leave room to re-sign some of their other players.

Probably won't happen.

Most likely...

Rangers keep Richards & Nash. Staal will walk.

Even worse.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
we should trade for Vladislav Namestnikov cuz his name is epicly russian...
just as good as a reason to trade from someone than glen sather can use to explain his **** ups

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The team is headed for a decline. Wrong track. You bring it up and people point to Stralman and Pouliot as young players so the team is not headed on the wrong track. The team has so much money committed to a small group of players. Trouble.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
The team is headed for a decline. Wrong track. You bring it up and people point to Stralman and Pouliot as young players so the team is not headed on the wrong track. The team has so much money committed to a small group of players. Trouble.

Who the hell is calling Stralman and Pouliot young players?

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
If Florida is a possible destination for Nash how about

Nash + Staal for Bjugstad + Campbell + a pick maybe

Obviously you only do it if Staal won't sign an extension.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Nash.

Has.

A.

Full.

NMC.

Through.

Next.

Season.

My God, people.

Yes, but it wouldn't be the first time (not even for him) that such a clause has been waived. If the fans really get on him here he might find Florida (for example) an attractive destination.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yes, but it wouldn't be the first time (not even for him) that such a clause has been waived. If the fans really get on him here he might find Florida (for example) an attractive destination.

Yeah, you're right. Nash is going to waive a NMC to move from New York, a perennial playoff appearing team, for Florida, a team that may or may not be up and coming.

Pray tell why Florida would give us the assets we desire for Nash?

If they're not giving us Huberdeau, Bjugstad, or Barkov in return (which they're not), why are we even talking to Florida? We're not, because Nash isn't going to waive his NMC to go there.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Let's take a look at this roster player by player and figure where they fit beyond this year:

Nash: Going nowhere, NMC through next season. Earliest he can be traded is next summer. Stuck with him.

Stepan: Second year of his bridge deal. He gets his pay day next summer. Good top 6 center. Horrible on faceoffs. Have him do power skating and faceoff practice over the summer. Nothing else.

Kreider: Hope his hand is ok. Should be a force for us soon. He's a smart player, but I'm a little unsettled by his undisciplined penalties at times. Can top out as a 30 goal power forward for us. Keep him.

Pouliot: Found his role as an NHL player. Big, finally using his frame, shades of skill. Bring him back for another year. Let Duclair give him a run for his money in training camp.

Brassard: Creative, but maddeningly inconsistent. Speaks volumes when he's our most physically engaged player some nights. Very troubling. Qualify him at 3.7 million for the year. Re-assess next summer.

Zuccarello: Biggest balls on the team at 5'5". Sign him to a 3-4 year deal worth 3.5-4 million.

Hagelin: Guy would be a star in this league if he had better hands and uses his speed to cut to the middle of the ice more like he did tonight to score the first goal. Those moments are few and far in between though. He's our best trade chip to land an upgrade, preferably for a forward with a bit more grit and better hands.

Richards: Buy him out. Lands back in Tampa with Callahan. I don't think his buy out is as forgone a conclusion as most may think, though.

St. Louis: Threw a hissy fit and demanded a trade here. Stuck with him. Was good in the series vs. Phiily, a liability against Pittsburgh. Still a top 30 player in the league.

Boyle: Bring him back. Sign him up for 3 more years at a slight raise from 1.7 million.

D. Moore: Ditto from Boyle. Bring him back, but for two years.

Carcillo: Bring him back. Sparkplug, and surprisingly has played very disciplined hockey here.

Dorsett: I can go either way with him. Some nights I think he should absolutely stay and that there's more potential, other nights he's a careless baboon that should be in the AHL. If a team likes him as part of a package for an upgrade for us, I'm all ears. One more year at 1.66 million

McDonagh: Shoulder is obviously still bothering him. Very uncharacteristic of him to be playing this poorly in the playoffs when he played some of his best college hockey in the NCAA tournament and Frozen Four. He'll be back.

Girardi: He's the glue that holds the defense together. Bringing him back was a good investment.

Staal: The Flyers series told me he was a must re-sign next summer. However, watching Pittsburgh, I'm starting to have doubts over whether another defenseman making north of 5 million dollars would be that good of an investment.

Stralman: Bring him back. Make Allen, Skjei, and McIlrath beat him out for spots on the team. Look to trade him when it looks like one of those guys is ready to handle 16 minutes a night and not be a liability.

J. Moore: Our second best trade chip. Think he's maxed out his potential, which is a solid bottom pairing guy that can spot minutes on the second pair for a couple of games. He's still young and would hold some value in a trade.

Diaz: Bring him back. Good depth defenseman that can spot minutes playing with a defensively responsible partner (Staal, Klein).

Klein: Keep him for now, but there's no room for him and Stralman on the same defensive corps. They play too similar a game. I give the slight edge to keeping Klein long term. He'll end up being cheaper and give you the same offensive output and steady defensive game Stralman gives.

Lundqvist: Career Ranger. Going nowhere.

Talbot: If another GM desperate for a goalie gets silly and offers a really good offensive prospect or 1st rounder for him, trade him. If not, keep him and re-assess next summer.

So basically, we're looking at the same team next year, with perhaps a bit of re-tooling to bring in a forward with a bit more snarl. This team is woefully weak mentally and physically. This also might be the most skilled Rangers team I've ever seen with the least finishers. All playmakers and no snipers or triggermen. A lot of redundant pieces both on offense and defense. Time will tell. This summer and next are huge in shaping the team moving forward. The best we can hope for is that they draft well and we get lucky with a couple of the young guys we have now. If the Rangers hit with two of Miller, Lindberg, Duclair, and Buchnevich, they'll be ok, but to me, considering the luck this franchise has had, it's a long shot.

Thornton and Marleau signed matching extensions after the trade deadline two months ago. Dodged that bullet, but ended up with St. Louis instead.

Oops; forgot about that. But Sather will probably trade that 1st round pick for the rights to some other aging pending UFA.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
[GV][/GV]
Yeah, you're right. Nash is going to waive a NMC to move from New York, a perennial playoff appearing team, for Florida, a team that may or may not be up and coming.

Pray tell why Florida would give us the assets we desire for Nash?

If they're not giving us Huberdeau, Bjugstad, or Barkov in return (which they're not), why are we even talking to Florida? We're not, because Nash isn't going to waive his NMC to go there.

Obviously there are a lot of questions, but maybe making the playoffs isn't the main factor for Nash. At least that would explain his current play... Whatever, he may prefer sunny (and less taxed) Florida over New York with all the fans booing him.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

As far as I'm concerned the window is open until next season. After that? It wouldn't surprise me to see the Islanders end up the better team year in and year out for a while.

This will be a bubble playoff team as long as Lundqvist is in net. He'll drag the Rangers to the playoffs annually and may even steal a round, only to get eliminated by a superior team like Boston or Pittsburgh.

There are a lot of redundant pieces on this team. If a team builds a game plan around shutting that type of player down, we're cooked. We saw it last series against Philly. They took away the cross ice pass on the power play in Game 3 and we haven't scored on it since. This round, Pittsburgh stands up our puck carriers at their blue line forcing our guys to dump it in. Our guys are too small and aren't physical enough to win the subsequent board battles. We haven't had good zone pressure all series. Fleury is having the easiest playoff series of his career. AV can make all the adjustments he wants, but if the team doesn't have the horses to carry out that adjusted game plan, they're still going to get shut down.

As long as Sather has been GM, the Rangers haven't had a balanced team with good goaltending at the same time. It's time for a fresh set of eyes. I'm 24 years old, and I'll probably be well into my 30's before the Rangers are serious contenders again after next season. The clock is ticking. Get to work.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
$53,187,500 committed to 12 players. Nash. Richards. MSL. Stepan. Hagelin. Dorsett. McDonagh. Girardi. Staal. Klein. Lundqvist. Talbot. $69M-$70M cap. 6 forwards. 4 D. 2 goalies. Bettman gave the $69M-$70M estimate last Saturday. The Rangers will need to amnesty Richards just to field a competitive team on the ice.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
As far as I'm concerned the window is open until next season. After that? It wouldn't surprise me to see the Islanders end up the better team year in and year out for a while.

This will be a bubble playoff team as long as Lundqvist is in net. He'll drag the Rangers to the playoffs annually and may even steal a round, only to get eliminated by a superior team like Boston or Pittsburgh.

There are a lot of redundant pieces on this team. If a team builds a game plan around shutting that type of player down, we're cooked. We saw it last series against Philly. They took away the cross ice pass on the power play in Game 3 and we haven't scored on it since. This round, Pittsburgh stands up our puck carriers at their blue line forcing our guys to dump it in. Our guys are too small and aren't physical enough to win the subsequent board battles. We haven't had good zone pressure all series. Fleury is having the easiest playoff series of his career. AV can make all the adjustments he wants, but if the team doesn't have the horses to carry out that adjusted game plan, they're still going to get shut down.

As long as Sather has been GM, the Rangers haven't had a balanced team with good goaltending at the same time. It's time for a fresh set of eyes. I'm 24 years old, and I'll probably be well into my 30's before the Rangers are serious contenders again after next season. The clock is ticking. Get to work.

This team is not winning the Cup as currently built. They don't many many young players in the system. They don't have many picks. Traded the 2013 #1 pick in the Nash deal. Traded a 2nd for Clowe. Traded a 2nd in June for MSL. Traded a #1 next year for MSL. There isn't much they can do without taking a step back which isn't logical when they already traded their pick next June and have so much money committed to so few players. More of the same. Make the playoffs. Maybe win a round. Playoff ouster. Everyone is up in arms but they shouldn't be surprised.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Thing is, Gaborik just seemed snake bitten, Nash has completely changed his game since the concussions.

Before them he was almost Jagr like. I hadn't seen a guy control a game like that on the Rangers in years.

Then this year, that was no where to be seen. He can still find the back of the net, but he doesn't control games anymore. He needs to do that to be effective. Gaborik was a sneaky, quick player with a deadly wrister.

Nash is a guy who creates space for himself, ala Jagr. His game relies on that type of play. He hasn't show he can do that anymore.

Also, when is he going to stop doing that turn your back move. It literally has not worked once this season. I just don't get how you can keep doing it...

Sometimes when you're in a funk you have to do something 100's of times before it sinks into your head that it does not work anymore... Think of a woman who is constantly in bad relationships

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Alright, just for fun:

Rick Nash for Dion Phaneuf

Marc Staal + Kevin Klein for Ryan O'Reilly

Carl Hagelin for Alex Chiasson

Buy out Richards, re-sign Zuccarello, Brassard, Pouliot, Kreider, Boyle, Diaz, both Moores and Stralman.

Not sure if it works cap-wise

Kreider-ROR-MSL
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Stepan-Chiasson
Boyle-Moore-Fast

McDonagh-Phaneuf
Diaz-Girardi
Moore-Stralman

Trying to make the team a bit younger. Maybe try and move up in the draft and pick a high potential center.

The Nash for Phaneuf deal would be interesting, but I can't see the other two deals working out. However, if we didn't move Staal, we'd have a hell of a lot of money tied up in our defense.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Just watch Richards get injured tomorrow. It would be the perfect ending to a rangers season.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
And if Rangers trade Staal they wont be asking for RHD but a LHD so Nash for Phaneuf doesnt work.

Phaneuf likes to play on the right side though. But please no, NO. The best attribute he would bring is a hot wife to MSG and my TV screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad