Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXIII: Clever Title Pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
A lot of rather big names are going to be available for trade at the draft and this summer. The Staals, Ward, Kesler, Spezza, E. Kane, and whoever is made available out of the Edmonton gong show.

The Rangers, however, simply don't have the assets to make a big trade. We made our big trades bringing in Nash and St. Louis. Both of those guys are better players than the above that I listed. The only way that the Rangers make a trade this offseason is if it's a hockey trade or a minor trade.

The Rangers did well getting some value for Del Zotto. Healthy scratch in Nashville. May not even get qualified. I wonder if he re-unites with Torts in Vancouver. Kevin Klein is a steady middle pairing guy that hardly makes any mistakes. So is Stralman, though. Stralman will want a raise. There isn't room for both of them along with Girardi. Klein gets traded and Stralman re-ups, or Stralman walks and Klein stays. I would go with the latter if I'm calling the shots.

The Rangers could ideally use a puck mover, a middle six left winger with some grit and some offense, and another middle six center.

I think Diaz can handle being the puck mover. He brings another dimension to right defense outside of your steady horses in Klein and Girardi. He'll be cheaper than Stralman.

That leaves a two way winger and middle six center to obtain via trade or free agency. I'd prefer to get a right handed shot out of one of those. Carl Hagelin and John Moore are your trade bait to obtain one. They could fetch something nice if packaged together. Conor Allen is ready. Promote him and give him sheltered minutes.

Who knows who will be made available after complicance buyouts. There could be some surprises. Regardless, I'd look to sign David Legwand to take that 2/3 center role. 50 points this year. Good mentor for JT Miller. Qualify Brassard. Bring Poo back. Fast looked good against Carolina but keep him in Hartford for one more year. Develop the prospects we have properly. Trade Hagelin for a right handed forward. Bring all of Carcillo, D.Moore, and Boyle back. Go to war.

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Trade-Legwand-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett
Carcillo

McD-Girardi
Staal-Diaz
Allen-Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I would sign Legwand to a short term deal. 1 year 6 mill? Keeps Brassard on the 3rd line. Reliable guy with size and defensive awareness. No way in hell I sign him any longer than 2-3 years.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A lot of rather big names are going to be available for trade at the draft and this summer. The Staals, Ward, Kesler, Spezza, E. Kane, and whoever is made available out of the Edmonton gong show.

The Rangers, however, simply don't have the assets to make a big trade. We made our big trades bringing in Nash and St. Louis. Both of those guys are better players than the above that I listed. The only way that the Rangers make a trade this offseason is if it's a hockey trade or a minor trade.

The Rangers did well getting some value for Del Zotto. Healthy scratch in Nashville. May not even get qualified. I wonder if he re-unites with Torts in Vancouver. Kevin Klein is a steady middle pairing guy that hardly makes any mistakes. So is Stralman, though. Stralman will want a raise. There isn't room for both of them along with Girardi. Klein gets traded and Stralman re-ups, or Stralman walks and Klein stays. I would go with the latter if I'm calling the shots.

The Rangers could ideally use a puck mover, a middle six left winger with some grit and some offense, and another middle six center.

I think Diaz can handle being the puck mover. He brings another dimension to right defense outside of your steady horses in Klein and Girardi. He'll be cheaper than Stralman.

That leaves a two way winger and middle six center to obtain via trade or free agency. I'd prefer to get a right handed shot out of one of those. Carl Hagelin and John Moore are your trade bait to obtain one. They could fetch something nice if packaged together. Conor Allen is ready. Promote him and give him sheltered minutes.

Who knows who will be made available after complicance buyouts. There could be some surprises. Regardless, I'd look to sign David Legwand to take that 2/3 center role. 50 points this year. Good mentor for JT Miller. Qualify Brassard. Bring Poo back. Fast looked good against Carolina but keep him in Hartford for one more year. Develop the prospects we have properly. Trade Hagelin for a right handed forward. Bring all of Carcillo, D.Moore, and Boyle back. Go to war.

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Trade-Legwand-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett
Carcillo

McD-Girardi
Staal-Diaz
Allen-Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

I wouldn't mind that although I think Diaz on the 2nd pairing could be a recipe for disaster.

Maybe the Preds would listen to offers for Colin Wilson. Big bodied power forward who is still young @ 24. Originally from Connecticut.

I don't believe Boyle and Moore will be brought back. Most likely one of the 2. They will both get raises.

Carcillo in my mind is a must. The guy has played well for this team. Very good 13th forward who can skate.

I have mentioned his name before, but what about trying to add someone like Matt Greene on a short-term contract in place of Diaz?

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Allen-Greene

Is there a puck mover? No. But Greene adds much needed size and physicality the team needs. He's a leader in the room as well. He has had some injury history but that is why you can get him on the cheap on a short term deal. Only 30. If he gets hurt, they will have McIlrath who is very close to NHL ready in the AHL which would be a good opportunity to get him in some games without relying too heavily on him.

I'm not sure how much Daniel Winnik will get on the open market, but if it is reasonable, I would look at him to play the 4th line LW spot. Skates well, big body, drives hard to the net. This past season points-wise is an aberration. Gritty, good along the boards.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
Legwands 33 making 4.5m this year. I'd think he would want that final 3-4 year contract and someone may give it to him at 5.3-5.6 per. I would like him at 2 years for 5 per, but aint going happen.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Dubinsky said the Rangers suffered from "new shiny toy syndrome" and "flash and dash" when he faced the Rangers for the first time. He is not wrong. Big names. Big salaries. Small results. That should be the thread title if the Rangers face Columbus next week. He will be ready to go in that series. Hopefully Nash decides to play if its his former team. The Rangers need so much more from Nash. Columbus holds the tie breaker on Philly. Howson made some nice picks at the end of his time in Columbus. Johansen. Jenner. Murray.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Dubinsky said the Rangers suffered from "new shiny toy syndrome" and "flash and dash" when he faced the Rangers for the first time. He is not wrong. Big names. Big salaries. Small results. That should be the thread title if the Rangers face Columbus next week. He will be ready to go in that series. Hopefully Nash decides to play if its his former team. The Rangers need so much more from Nash. Columbus holds the tie breaker on Philly. Howson made some nice picks at the end of his time in Columbus. Johansen. Jenner. Murray.

Yep and they have developed a very big, physical fast team. Dubinsky, Jenner, Johansen, Foligno, Umberger, Boll, Horton, Anisimov. That's a big team that plays a physical brand of hockey.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yep and they have developed a very big, physical fast team. Dubinsky, Jenner, Johansen, Foligno, Umberger, Boll, Horton, Anisimov. That's a big team that plays a physical brand of hockey.

No flash and dash. Dubinsky will be breathing fire. They traded his buddy Callahan for a bigger name and flashier player.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Dubinsky is still crying, who cares. Guy is a pure whiner.

Breathing fire? Biggest impact he had in 4 games vs the Rangers was when a puck hit his leg and deflected in.

Totally worried about a enigmatic 40 point winger.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Dubinsky is still crying, who cares. Guy is a pure whiner.

This is a guy that wanted to stay here. How do you feel about the Nash and St. Louis situations, and how they got here?

Or are you just being a clueless homer with that statement?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
This is a guy that wanted to stay here. How do you feel about the Nash and St. Louis situations, and how they got here?

Only mercenaries who demanded to be traded here are allowed to enjoy being a Ranger, any former homegrown Rangers who wanted to be here can eff off.

Can't wait until we trade Hagelin or perhaps Stepan in a package for E. Staal this summer!

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY

Who cares what he wanted? Maybe he should have played to the level of expectations put on him? Maybe he should have continued to improve, which he clearly didn't.

He was a inconsistent fringe 2nd line winger whose ego outweighed his talent level. He still is that. What's the problem?

Or do you want to blame Sather for giving him that contract?

God forbid a "homegrown player" gets traded. If anyone is the "clueless homer," it's fans who are stuck in the mindset that there has to be this everlasting CORE, or that the 11/12 team was somehow destined for greatness and not a fluke run of a true 6-seed.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Who cares what he wanted? Maybe he should have played to the level of expectations put on him? Maybe he should have continued to improve, which he clearly didn't.

He was a inconsistent fringe 2nd line winger whose ego outweighed his talent level. He still is that. What's the problem?

Or do you want to blame Sather for giving him that contract?

God forbid a "homegrown player" gets traded. If anyone is the "clueless homer," it's fans who are stuck in the mindset that there has to be this everlasting CORE, or that the 11/12 team was somehow destined for greatness and not a fluke run of a true 6-seed.

What Im really attacking is this "**** off unless you are on the team right now" mentality. Its childish.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
What Im really attacking is this "**** off unless you are on the team right now" mentality. Its childish.

I thought Dubinsky was a gigantic whiner on the Rangers too, it has nothing to do with him not being on the team now. He consistently cried to officials and threw hissy fits on the ice, and quite often he was distracted from his own game because he was chasing another player around looking to pick fights (most often vs Crosby and M. Richards).

He cried to the press multiple times when he was here (about Crosby and Clarkson, amongst others), obviously not much has changed.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I thought Dubinsky was a gigantic whiner on the Rangers too, it has nothing to do with him not being on the team now. He consistently cried to officials and threw hissy fits on the ice, and quite often he was distracted from his own game because he was chasing another player around looking to pick fights (most often vs Crosby and M. Richards).

To each his own, I guess. I miss that type of emotion.

This team does some things much better, but is also pretty vanilla when the going gets tough.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Unless we are talking about an all-time Ranger great, I don't think that's such an awful stance to take. If he's bitter, fine, but every comment like that he makes makes him look childish, right or wrong. Besides, people talk **** more about players who are on the team now (Richards, Nash, MSL) and lament the loss of guys like Anisimov, Callahan, and Dubinsky as if they were going to eventually have their numbers retired. To that I say, ****ing get over it. How about supporting the current team?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Dubinsky wasn't wrong about the "shiny new toy syndrome". The team was rolling during the 11-12 season and management was fixated on Rick Nash. The team needed another defenseman. Nash. Nash. Nash. Nash. Nash. See Nash has that great playoff resume and he was the missing piece. He needs to wake up. Someone needs to have a talk with him. Sather traded for him and needs to tell Nash that the team needs more. Only the young guys get read the riot act. In pre-season,Zipay wrote Sather read Kreider the riot act after he failed to make the team. AV went after Miller last week. Veteran players making millions are treated with kid gloves. Its a joke.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Dubinsky wasn't wrong about the "shiny new toy syndrome". The team was rolling during the 11-12 season and management was fixated on Rick Nash. The team needed another defenseman. Nash. Nash. Nash. Nash. Nash. See Nash has that great playoff resume and he was the missing piece. He needs to wake up. Someone needs to have a talk with him. Sather traded for him and needs to tell Nash that the team needs more. Only the young guys get read the riot act. In pre-season,Zipay wrote Sather read Kreider the riot act after he failed to make the team. AV went after Miller last week. Veteran players making millions are treated with kid gloves. Its a joke.
The Rangers needed a scoring forward badly. If you want to call that shiny new toy syndrome, go ahead. I call it addressing a team need.

They weren't zoned in on Nash. They kicked the tires on Shea Weber, but he couldn't convince all the Rangers to move to Westchester.

But I'm sure sitting down with Nash and asking him to produce more will do the trick.

jlaw.gif

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Trade-Legwand-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett
Carcillo

McD-Girardi
Staal-Diaz
Allen-Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

Seems as if these threads tend get sidetracked sometimes so I'll bring it back...
A lot of good points as far targeting via trades, signings, re-signings, etc.
I just have a feeling that Sather will buy out Richards and sign a winger like Moulson which I wouldn't be opposed to because I think he would somewhat thrive under AV's 2nd line.
If Sather can buy out Richards, sign Moulson AND get away with trading for Legwand or even better a Staal then I'd be very anxious to see what that kind of team could do next season.

Moulson-Staal/Legwand-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett
Carcillo

McD-Girardi
Staal-Diaz
Allen-Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Rangers needed a scoring forward badly. If you want to call that shiny new toy syndrome, go ahead. I call it addressing a team need.

They weren't zoned in on Nash. They kicked the tires on Shea Weber, but he couldn't convince all the Rangers to move to Westchester.

But I'm sure sitting down with Nash and asking him to produce more will do the trick.

Maybe they can sit him down and ask him to pretend hes playing @ Columbus every game, because that was the only game where he was engaged on every shift all season.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Columbus is a Backes and Pietrangelo away from being the Blues. Jarmo and JD built the Blues into what they are, and Columbus needs a top line center, and a number 1 offensive defenseman. All the other pieces on that roster match up near identical to the Blues except for those two cornerstone pieces.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if CLB ponies up for Kesler, and goes after a minute munching defenseman that can produce offense. They have the depth and assets to pull it all off.

The Rangers need more out of their top guns, especially Nash, because its pretty easy to see when Nash shows up and when he doesn't. A very passive perimeter game, as opposed to a power forwards game.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Maybe they can sit him down and ask him to pretend hes playing @ Columbus every game, because that was the only game where he was engaged on every shift all season.

Yeah he played like he cared. That and during the Olympics. AV needs to do a better job of motivating some of his players. Unlike Torts AV treats players according to who they are, its about time he stops playing Mr. Nice guy with Nash.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think a lack of production from Nash is excused on the basis of "well he tried". This isn't kindergarden. That said, he's been engaged lately, just not producing. Nash has been far from the Nash that we've seen at points this season where he was invisible. He's playing with 2 good set up guys now, I'd be curious to see what comes off it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I don't think it's childish at all.

What good are they going to do my team? Nothing.

What they say, do or how they play I couldn't care less about. I don't cheer for them to do well. I root for their failure.

Any current NHL'er that is a former Rangers can **** off.

I'm a New York Rangers fan. I have no alliegence to any one individual player. Never have, never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad