Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXIII: Clever Title Pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz

Jun 2, 2011
Joe Thornton? Ew...every chance they gave him, he's said nothing but negative things about the Rangers. I'm sure he'd want to play here as much as i'd want him here. Pass

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
A Nash/Staal for Pavelski/Burns swap isn't that bad. It gives the Sharks a top line of Thornton Marleau Nash, a second line of Hertl Couture Nieto, and it gives their top 4 d a much needed ld, Vlasic Staal Demers Braun is solid. And they've been looking for a ld as Stuart's been a let down. Pavelski played mostly on wing but that's because Hertl was out, once he came back they were moving Pavs to 3C. I really like him, he's like a Drury in his prime, not big, plays an excellent 2 way game at center, plays in all situations. Burns is that much needed size in our top 6. Imagine putting Burns and Kreider on a line? And he could be the answer for that rh bomb from the point on the power play.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
A Nash/Staal for Pavelski/Burns swap isn't that bad. It gives the Sharks a top line of Thornton Marleau Nash, a second line of Hertl Couture Nieto, and it gives their top 4 d a much needed ld, Vlasic Staal Demers Braun is solid. And they've been looking for a ld as Stuart's been a let down. Pavelski played mostly on wing but that's because Hertl was out, once he came back they were moving Pavs to 3C. I really like him, he's like a Drury in his prime, not big, plays an excellent 2 way game at center, plays in all situations. Burns is that much needed size in our top 6. Imagine putting Burns and Kreider on a line? And he could be the answer for that rh bomb from the point on the power play.

The bold are the really key assets for those players. I don't remember if Drury was fast but I'm sure he was faster than Pavelski. Most players are. Joe just makes up for it with incredible hockey IQ.

Since Staal's a pending UFA, and Nash wouldn't be getting full value since he's not panned out that well, we'd probably want something added.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
The bold are the really key assets for those players. I don't remember if Drury was fast but I'm sure he was faster than Pavelski. Most players are. Joe just makes up for it with incredible hockey IQ.

Since Staal's a pending UFA, and Nash wouldn't be getting full value since he's not panned out that well, we'd probably want something added.

Jesper Fast and a conditional pick if Staal re-signs? Remember this is Glen Sather, he spares no expense trading picks

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Do u guys really think we can trade nash? I know he has another year of no move clause but honestly would teams really be interested? I would like nothing more than nash traded just not sure it would happen

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
I'm tempted to just scream "blow it up" at the top of my lungs. I could honestly care less about anyone not named Kreider, Zuccarello, McDonagh and Staal.

profchaos2001

Mar 2, 2012
We need a Legit #1 C. Period. Face-offs have been atrocious all year. Stepan cannot and will not step up next year.

edit: Not Stasny.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I think Sather is going to have to have a long talk with Edmonton. They need defense and we need offense.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
We need a Legit #1 C. Period. Face-offs have been atrocious all year. Stepan cannot and will not step up next year.

edit: Not Stasny.

Faceoffs have been horrible for years and is one of the key factors to our consistently bad powerplay. The only time the powerplay was really good since the first lockout was when we had an all time great forward on our team who could do it on his own.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
One positive is it looks like they'll get to keep their 1st round draft pick this year. Until Sather trades it to San Jose for the rights to negotiate with Joe Thornton before free agency.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Let's take a look at this roster player by player and figure where they fit beyond this year:

Nash: Going nowhere, NMC through next season. Earliest he can be traded is next summer. Stuck with him.

Stepan: Second year of his bridge deal. He gets his pay day next summer. Good top 6 center. Horrible on faceoffs. Have him do power skating and faceoff practice over the summer. Nothing else.

Kreider: Hope his hand is ok. Should be a force for us soon. He's a smart player, but I'm a little unsettled by his undisciplined penalties at times. Can top out as a 30 goal power forward for us. Keep him.

Pouliot: Found his role as an NHL player. Big, finally using his frame, shades of skill. Bring him back for another year. Let Duclair give him a run for his money in training camp.

Brassard: Creative, but maddeningly inconsistent. Speaks volumes when he's our most physically engaged player some nights. Very troubling. Qualify him at 3.7 million for the year. Re-assess next summer.

Zuccarello: Biggest balls on the team at 5'5". Sign him to a 3-4 year deal worth 3.5-4 million.

Hagelin: Guy would be a star in this league if he had better hands and uses his speed to cut to the middle of the ice more like he did tonight to score the first goal. Those moments are few and far in between though. He's our best trade chip to land an upgrade, preferably for a forward with a bit more grit and better hands.

Richards: Buy him out. Lands back in Tampa with Callahan. I don't think his buy out is as forgone a conclusion as most may think, though.

St. Louis: Threw a hissy fit and demanded a trade here. Stuck with him. Was good in the series vs. Phiily, a liability against Pittsburgh. Still a top 30 player in the league.

Boyle: Bring him back. Sign him up for 3 more years at a slight raise from 1.7 million.

D. Moore: Ditto from Boyle. Bring him back, but for two years.

Carcillo: Bring him back. Sparkplug, and surprisingly has played very disciplined hockey here.

Dorsett: I can go either way with him. Some nights I think he should absolutely stay and that there's more potential, other nights he's a careless baboon that should be in the AHL. If a team likes him as part of a package for an upgrade for us, I'm all ears. One more year at 1.66 million

McDonagh: Shoulder is obviously still bothering him. Very uncharacteristic of him to be playing this poorly in the playoffs when he played some of his best college hockey in the NCAA tournament and Frozen Four. He'll be back.

Girardi: He's the glue that holds the defense together. Bringing him back was a good investment.

Staal: The Flyers series told me he was a must re-sign next summer. However, watching Pittsburgh, I'm starting to have doubts over whether another defenseman making north of 5 million dollars would be that good of an investment.

Stralman: Bring him back. Make Allen, Skjei, and McIlrath beat him out for spots on the team. Look to trade him when it looks like one of those guys is ready to handle 16 minutes a night and not be a liability.

J. Moore: Our second best trade chip. Think he's maxed out his potential, which is a solid bottom pairing guy that can spot minutes on the second pair for a couple of games. He's still young and would hold some value in a trade.

Diaz: Bring him back. Good depth defenseman that can spot minutes playing with a defensively responsible partner (Staal, Klein).

Klein: Keep him for now, but there's no room for him and Stralman on the same defensive corps. They play too similar a game. I give the slight edge to keeping Klein long term. He'll end up being cheaper and give you the same offensive output and steady defensive game Stralman gives.

Lundqvist: Career Ranger. Going nowhere.

Talbot: If another GM desperate for a goalie gets silly and offers a really good offensive prospect or 1st rounder for him, trade him. If not, keep him and re-assess next summer.

So basically, we're looking at the same team next year, with perhaps a bit of re-tooling to bring in a forward with a bit more snarl. This team is woefully weak mentally and physically. This also might be the most skilled Rangers team I've ever seen with the least finishers. All playmakers and no snipers or triggermen. A lot of redundant pieces both on offense and defense. Time will tell. This summer and next are huge in shaping the team moving forward. The best we can hope for is that they draft well and we get lucky with a couple of the young guys we have now. If the Rangers hit with two of Miller, Lindberg, Duclair, and Buchnevich, they'll be ok, but to me, considering the luck this franchise has had, it's a long shot.

One positive is it looks like they'll get to keep their 1st round draft pick this year. Until Sather trades it to San Jose for the rights to negotiate with Joe Thornton before free agency.

Thornton and Marleau signed matching extensions after the trade deadline two months ago. Dodged that bullet, but ended up with St. Louis instead.

Leetch2McDonagh27

Jan 21, 2013
I'm tempted to just scream "blow it up" at the top of my lungs. I could honestly care less about anyone not named Kreider, Zuccarello, McDonagh and Staal.

Yup. Guys I def want gone are Rick F'ing Trash, Beaver, and Yes I said it, F Lundqvist. For an "Elite" Goaltender......he sure gives up a lot of BS goals. And no I don't care that it deflected off of Staal on the 3rd goal. That 2nd Sutter Goal should of been stopped if he didn't flop around like the B*tch he is. Sure McDonagh is to blame for gliding and not backchecking Sutter harder.

Go with Talbot (don't tell me about Henrik's NMC) and build it around 27, 18, 20, 36, 62, 10. Not a huge fan of G but guess u could throw 5 in there. F everyone else.....

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It is too reactionary. We go through the same thing everytime someone has a bad year. Gaborik was one of the best goal scorers we ever had. Had a bad year everyone wants him gone. Nash was almost a PPG player last year. Was on a ~33 goal pace this year and has had a bad playoffs everyone wants him gone. Del Zotto was hugely inconsistent and seemed to get worse. Everyone wants him gone. The trend is that we are always looking to trade players when they minimize their value. And you wonder why there has been so much turnover? Ignoring the fact he has a NMC if you trade Nash you are making this team worse offensively.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
It is too reactionary. We go through the same thing everytime someone has a bad year. Gaborik was one of the best goal scorers we ever had. Had a bad year everyone wants him gone. Nash was almost a PPG player last year. Was on a ~33 goal pace this year and has had a bad playoffs everyone wants him gone. Del Zotto was hugely inconsistent and seemed to get worse. Everyone wants him gone. The trend is that we are always looking to trade players when they minimize their value. And you wonder why there has been so much turnover? Ignoring the fact he has a NMC if you trade Nash you are making this team worse offensively.

While your post is very accurate, I think there's a bit more to it when it comes to Nash. We took a chance on a "game breaker" when the opportunity presented itself. We had a core, which included strong D and G.

By the looks of it, the experiment failed. The man is not a "go to" player, he is a passenger. He def has value in the league, esp on a team that can create space for him (Ducks, Kings, Blues) or on a bubble team (Leafs def jump out). Prob is, not at a 7.8m cap hit. In this day and age, if you are overpaid by 30% and don't perform in the playoffs, its hard to justify keeping you. If we are willing to get his hit to 6.0mm, he's tradable. If the boo birds started earlier in the series, it prob would've convinced him to waive his NTC.

Slats hasn't hesitated these last few years in cutting losses, and the fact he even explored trading Cally and G as UFAs gives me some hope he's not always looking to "win now" at all costs. I just think when the opportunity prevents itself (Nash and MSL) he can't help himself.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Alright, just for fun:

Rick Nash for Dion Phaneuf

Marc Staal + Kevin Klein for Ryan O'Reilly

Carl Hagelin for Alex Chiasson

Buy out Richards, re-sign Zuccarello, Brassard, Pouliot, Kreider, Boyle, Diaz, both Moores and Stralman.

Not sure if it works cap-wise

Kreider-ROR-MSL
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Stepan-Chiasson
Boyle-Moore-Fast

McDonagh-Phaneuf
Diaz-Girardi
Moore-Stralman

Trying to make the team a bit younger. Maybe try and move up in the draft and pick a high potential center.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Good point. And with Nash I think the concussion really affected him this year. He was a different player last season. Hopefully the further away from the concussions he gets the closer he is to last year's Nash. This year hasn't been great and maybe this is what he is and that sucks, but I'd give him another year at least.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
FA classes for Centers are always sad. The good ones in their primes don't reach UFA, you have to find one in the draft or get very lucky in a trade.

AHB*

Thing is, Gaborik just seemed snake bitten, Nash has completely changed his game since the concussions.

Before them he was almost Jagr like. I hadn't seen a guy control a game like that on the Rangers in years.

Then this year, that was no where to be seen. He can still find the back of the net, but he doesn't control games anymore. He needs to do that to be effective. Gaborik was a sneaky, quick player with a deadly wrister.

Nash is a guy who creates space for himself, ala Jagr. His game relies on that type of play. He hasn't show he can do that anymore.

Also, when is he going to stop doing that turn your back move. It literally has not worked once this season. I just don't get how you can keep doing it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad