Trade + Proposals 2016: TDD Approaches... And Everyone Trades Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Samsonov was drafted in the 1st round, and is trending very well. He's worth more than a 2nd rounder, his value hasnt dropped since he was drafted last June.

Ok but a 2nd plus komorov while we take liach to give them salary relief?
Bernier was drafted in the 1st round, had nhl backup experience got a 2nd fringe nhler and a backups backup.
So how about a 2nd sparks and clune for samsonov?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I'd love for the Leafs to buy low on Drouin.

Maybe Leo could be a tempting piece for the playoff bound Bolts with his cheap salary.

I wouldn't take him for free, and hope Leafs management would allow for players with that kind of attitude and sense of entitlement anywhere near this team.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Ok but a 2nd plus komorov while we take liach to give them salary relief?
Bernier was drafted in the 1st round, had nhl backup experience got a 2nd fringe nhler and a backups backup.
So how about a 2nd sparks and clune for samsonov?

Why would Washington do that. It's lateral at best.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I wouldn't take him for free, and hope Leafs management would allow for players with that kind of attitude and sense of entitlement anywhere near this team.

I think the bad rep players get for playing a hard line like he is is overblown. Drouin will be a very good player one day.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I'd pass on him being on the team next year.

Hopefully he bring in somewhere close to what Polak brought back. That would be outstanding.

Highly doubt Leafs management plan on brining up several youngsters to the NHL without any NHL vets to lead and protect them. If they are unwilling to rush them to the NHL, they wont bring them to the NHL without any experienced players on the roster to support them.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Why would Washington do that. It's lateral at best.

The only reason would be cap space. Holtby is solid young and still under contract.
Word is caps are looking for a 3rd line winger that can grind it out for cheap.
Again the only incentive is cap space for the caps. But thqts not to be taken lightly these days.
Edit: plus our second pick will be very close to their 1st ound pick ore than likely so that a plus too.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think the bad rep players get for playing a hard line like he is is overblown. Drouin will be a very good player one day.

I'd have to trust the judgement of Shanny and Lou, however, the aura surrounding this is exactly what we unloaded to start fresh.
As of now, I hope we pass. We will see.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

That's not how I see it. You pay your dues and earn your opportunities. Everyone and their brother has spoken on how Drouin/agent have handled this situation and its wrong. Not interested in having those types of players near this team. Willing to bet Babcock and management feel the same. Take a look at what Murray in Anaheim said about it.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay

Agreed, in fact if he doesn't get dealt at the deadline, I would look at acquiring him under the right circumstances . Like say we wound up with the 2nd overall and decided to look into to trading it as was brought up on the draft thread. I would approach Tampa about a Drouin, Vasilevskiy package. Maybe even add to get their first if we take a bad contract? Base it around the 2nd overall and other pieces. I mean Tampa has a lot of UFA & RFA's to sign the next couple seasons and that takes cap space!!

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
That's not how I see it. You pay your dues and earn your opportunities. Everyone and their brother has spoken on how Drouin/agent have handled this situation and its wrong. Not interested in having those types of players near this team. Willing to bet Babcock and management feel the same. Take a look at what Murray in Anaheim said about it.

This is completely off-topic, but I guess I don't totally get the whole rhetoric of young players owing the league or team that drafted them something. There's this mindset that they just have to shut up and take it. Does this exist anywhere else in the world? Would I shut up and take it in my job? Like hell I would. Anyway... just my 2c, I don't have a firm opinion on it just a general observation I guess.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Lindros is a good example, great player, but very disrespected through his whole career and even after with the hhof snubs.
For me I don't want him because he is showing the wrong attitude. I was the same with Lindros.
I don't mind player sking for trades but to not show up for games, even ahl games, is wrong imo. We had plyers here last year that were on the ice but didn't show up. How easy would it be for Drouin to do that?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Ville Husso is another goalie prospect that could be worth targeting. He played well at the WJC, has very good numbers in the Finnish league, and is 21 years old. St. Louis is in win-now mode, so might be willing to move him. Downside is that he's only slightly bigger than Bernier, so still isnt that ~6'2+ goalie you'd ideally want.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'd love to see it. Yzerman wants win-now help, and we may be the only team in the league willing to take on Matt Carle's more years @ $5.5M. Maybe there's a fit there somehow, though the values are so hard to gauge. Carle & Drouin for who - Percy & Komarov? Gardiner? It's difficult to say.

I would bundle Komarov, PAP and 2nds for him for sure. Relative value being (Late 1st, 2nd+3rd, 2nd, 2nd and the value of taking on Carle is likely a 2nd+)

If I could avoid moving Leo I would do that and gladly throw in the 3rd 2nd.

To spin it another way.. Dions 2nd, Polaks and Spallings 2nds + PAP and even a B prospect.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
This is completely off-topic, but I guess I don't totally get the whole rhetoric of young players owing the league or team that drafted them something. There's this mindset that they just have to shut up and take it. Does this exist anywhere else in the world? Would I shut up and take it in my job? Like hell I would. Anyway... just my 2c, I don't have a firm opinion on it just a general observation I guess.[/QUOTE

I see why people don't like his attitude, I do, I believe in paying your dues. I also see what you're saying and don't disagree. However that being said, when your job is hockey I find it hard to have sympathy for any of them. But, something just seems odd in Tampa, TBH. Look at St. Louis wanting out, right or wrong, then Drouin, the delay in signing Stamkos, it all just seems off. Not to defend Drouin either but we have no idea what was promised or said to him about opportunity behind closed doors. I guess in my long windedness I am saying while I don't love how he's gone about his business we all make mistakes and I am not sure you pass up on that much talent.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I think last year it was the first Saturday (around April 8th?) of the playoffs on HNIC during the intermission.

It was Saturday, April 18th last year. I know this because I was in Cuba, finding out from a very drunk dude from London yelling from his balcony that the "god damn Oilers won McDavid"
haha it was funny for a second. Saw him at the pool bar the next day, hammered, he told me the Leafs should draft Marner. Wise man.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Seeing teams back off (reportedly) on the price for the big name guys like Ladd makes me soooooooo happy we moved Polak and Matthias early. In fact it makes em think maybe PAP is going to go sooner then later.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
A deal that I think makes some sense for both teams is:

TOR
I. Samsonov
B. Laich (cap dump)

WASH
P. Paranteau
P. Holland

It gives us a good future goaltender that is buried behind Holtby in WASH, and they get forward depth they need for the playoffs and valuable cap space to make further moves.

Samsonov is at the very least another 4-5 years away. By that time holtby will be up in age and probably pretty expensive.Samsonov Will be able to step in. If traded he's getting moved for a lot more than that.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
This is completely off-topic, but I guess I don't totally get the whole rhetoric of young players owing the league or team that drafted them something. There's this mindset that they just have to shut up and take it. Does this exist anywhere else in the world? Would I shut up and take it in my job? Like hell I would. Anyway... just my 2c, I don't have a firm opinion on it just a general observation I guess.

Has more to do with the mentality that you're just supposed to put your had down, shut up, submit to authority, and not stand up for yourself. Automatic loyalty to your employer is a bit of a bad joke, anyway. It goes both ways, and there's always going to be people whose interests are at odds. That's just life.

I agree, though. Drouin will be fine. Tampa's loss will be someone else's gain, depending on what they get for him.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I see why people don't like his attitude, I do, I believe in paying your dues. I also see what you're saying and don't disagree. However that being said, when your job is hockey I find it hard to have sympathy for any of them. But, something just seems odd in Tampa, TBH. Look at St. Louis wanting out, right or wrong, then Drouin, the delay in signing Stamkos, it all just seems off. Not to defend Drouin either but we have no idea what was promised or said to him about opportunity behind closed doors. I guess in my long windedness I am saying while I don't love how he's gone about his business we all make mistakes and I am not sure you pass up on that much talent.

Exactly how I feel. Completely agree.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Let's say Edmonton has first overall and were at 3rd or 4th overall.

Our 1st, Pittsburgh 1st, Jake Gardiner + one of Nielsen/Dermott get it done? Overpayment ?

I wouldn't move Gardiner + 3/4 overall pick seems like too much value. I get that it's Auston Matthews and all but you essentially create a massive hole in your defense.

You're better off moving down and collecting assets than trading up if that's the case. I think we can move down and easily pickup another 2nd from 4-7 for instance

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I wouldn't move Gardiner + 3/4 overall pick seems like too much value. I get that it's Auston Matthews and all but you essentially create a massive hole in your defense.

You're better off moving down and collecting assets than trading up if that's the case. I think we can move down and easily pickup another 2nd from 4-7 for instance

But then you could trade down and draft Chychrun or Juolevi. Replace Gardiner. done :)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

You're not a million dollar asset. If you acted like an entitled twit at your job you'd be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad