Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What LD would you spent the money on?

Duchene >>>>> Suzuki

If we get Hughes or cozens, then it changes things a little bit, but I don't think we will finish low enough to get them.

Not sure but I would wait for when the opportunity came. Even if it takes 2 or 3 off seasons or we had to draft one. I value what Duchene brings to the table but I rather allocate that cap space for the missing hole on LD. My window to win don't start next year either. It starts in the 2020/2021 season and goes for 3 years when Price turns 35 and Weber turns 37. At the at point, Kotkaniemi is 21 and Poehling/Suzuki are 22... Starting in the 3rd season from now. I see a small 2 or 3 year window to win and were going to need to somehow find a good LD to play with Weber

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Not sure but I would wait for when the opportunity came. Even if it takes 2 or 3 off seasons or we had to draft one. I value what Duchene brings to the table but I rather allocate that cap space for the missing hole on LD. My window to win don't start next year either. It starts in the 2020/2021 season and goes for 3 years when Price turns 35 and Weber turns 37. At the at point, Kotkaniemi is 21 and Poehling/Suzuki are 22... in the 3rd season from now. I see a small 2 or 3 year window to win and were going to need to somehow find a good LD to play with Weber

There is no top pairing LD that will be available in free agency... and even if there was one there will be 30 other teams trying to sign him.

You don't miss out on a guy like Duchene for a possible mystery box.

Heck, we we would have a much higher chance of getting an LD by signing Duchene and trading him for one down the road.

Reactions: Sorinth

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no top pairing LD that will be available in free agency... and even if there was one there will be 30 other teams trying to sign him.

You don't miss out on a guy like Duchene for a possible mystery box.

Heck, we we would have a much higher chance of getting an LD by signing Duchene and trading him for one down the road.

Yes, I do purposely miss out on Duchene cause I might have plans on making a trade using a surplus of assets for a LD who might become available. I can see why you want him but I'm looking at the long game. Keep the cap space for a defenseman. We need to be able to jump on a option when it becomes available. Stay patient. Duchene became available and so did Ryan McDonagh and Karlsson. Things change over time and the key is to have a surplus of assets to use to get in on those trades... at the right time.

Pretty sure Bergevin agrees with you and not me though. He is licking his chops waiting to spend that cap space on an asset like Duchene.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Yes, I do purposely miss out on Duchene cause I might have plans on making a trade using a surplus of assets for a LD who might become available. I can see why you want him but I'm looking at the long game. Keep the cap space for a defenseman. We need to be able to jump on a option when it becomes available. Stay patient. Duchene became available and so did Ryan McDonagh and Karlsson. Things change over time and the key is to have a surplus of assets to use to get in on those trades... at the right time.

Pretty sure Bergevin agrees with you and not me though. He is licking his chops waiting to spend that cap space on an asset like Duchene.

You realize you can still do all that by signing duchene?
1. Trade duchene for that ld
2. Trade duchene for futures and sign that ld
or
3. Sign duchene and trade guys like petry, tatar or shaw to have the cap space to sign the ld.

You gave the example of duchene, mcdonagh and karlsson being available in the recent past, but those guys all cost several 1st round picks/prospects...

Reactions: Sorinth

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
While I know he may not have attained the hype and all that wouldn't Jonas Brodin be an interesting target for the top 4? I believe he's a LD.

No idea if he's for sale, doubtful but what's the type of return he'd command?

Reactions: Vachon23

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
To MTL: William Nylander
To TOR: Shea Weber + Victor Mete or Noah Juulsen

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
why waste 7.5m if we literally have Poehling Kotka , Suzuki and Danault as young centers

Waste 7.5m on a real D instead of a pseudo 1-way center

We've had like $10M in cap space the last two years, if we are spending a lot of money I'd have no problem if it was on a top 2 C.

There is no guarantee the first 3 guys end up as legit NHL centres, if they do and you have the depth at C then you can move a guy to fill another need like a LHD.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
While I know he may not have attained the hype and all that wouldn't Jonas Brodin be an interesting target for the top 4? I believe he's a LD.

I don't know but I was really hopping the Habs grab him in the summer 0f 2016 ! He could be a good fit here

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
We've had like $10M in cap space the last two years, if we are spending a lot of money I'd have no problem if it was on a top 2 C.

There is no guarantee the first 3 guys end up as legit NHL centres, if they do and you have the depth at C then you can move a guy to fill another need like a LHD.

So what if we dont know , We are ''Rebuilding'' or should i say retooling. This year pre season has been probably the best ''time'' to watch the habs in the last 10 years atleast. Lets play our young players for once and give them the chance instead of wasting 7.5m 7years on another 1way center , We need D so bad. I would not be surprised if we end the year without Alzner , Benn , Schlemko and Petry.
Mete and Juulsen are prospect but they need some good vet to play with them.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My gawd!! Then fans criticize Bergevin lol.

Yeah let's draw up a bunch of trades with palyers we want to get rid of going the other way and players everyone in the league wants and aren't even available coming to us.

Jul 6, 2016
Just a wish.

Scherback for Nicolas Roy a big 6'4 RH centerman who could become lethal with Poehling and Kotkaniemi at center for the Habs for years to come.

Reactions: Habitant le colon

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Just a wish.

Scherback for Nicolas Roy a big 6'4 RH centerman who could become lethal with Poehling and Kotkaniemi at center for the Habs for years to come.
Don't need a center that isn't a bluechip prospect. Trading Scherbak for a LHD makes a lot more sense.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Probably someone who wouldn't trade Weber for Nylander straight up.

:facepalm:

So trade our best best Dman, anchor of our entire back end for another undersized, scoring winger?? You're right, I wouldn't trade them straight up.

If I'm trading Weber, it's for a blue-chip D or center prospect/player. We don't need more wingers which is what Nylander is. It's the position he's been playing in the NHL so don't tell me he's a center, because he's as much a center as Drouin or Domi are.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So trade our best best Dman, anchor of our entire back end for another undersized, scoring winger?? You're right, I wouldn't trade them straight up.

If I'm trading Weber, it's for a blue-chip D or center prospect/player. We don't need more wingers which is what Nylander is. It's the position he's been playing in the NHL so don't tell me he's a center, because he's as much a center as Drouin or Domi are.

If a blue chip d prospect is what you want, Nylander can get you that easily. Weber MAY be able to get you a Suzuki-level d prospect, but that isn't a certainty. Nylander can get you a much better d prospect.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So

Since before last season there has been all the talk of a top 4D. Meaning a no.4 D since we have Petry asa 3D. We didnt need a top 4D then, since Emelin with all his blemishes was a no. 4D, and ideally Markov could play on the 2nd pairing. Then came Alzner. We needed a top pairing D and that remains the same to this day.

Now I didnt thi k we could actually trade for a top pair D, so was looking at players with that potential. You know, like freaking Sergachev.

My target had been Noah Hanifin who I thought could develop into a top pairing D.

We are now in re- whatever land. What we need to do is draft D with top pair potential or trade for already drafted guys with that potential.

But no more 4Ds. We also have a gazillion guys who might be able to be no.4s, like Juulsen, Reilly, Mete etc. Hopefully Brook is something more.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We really shouldn't be trading Mete. We have absolutely no lhd after him.

At any rate, Mete has the chance to be something special and his trade value could be really high one day, if there's a deal we need to include him in to get what we want.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If a blue chip d prospect is what you want, Nylander can get you that easily. Weber MAY be able to get you a Suzuki-level d prospect, but that isn't a certainty. Nylander can get you a much better d prospect.

Then why not just trade for that asset straight up? Why trade Weber to get an asset only to turn around and trade for yet another asset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad