Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Subban has 5 points and bad in his own end.... stop the madness.

I'm aware of the struggle and also aware the entire team is struggling. Hall on pace for 68 pts and 16 goals is nothing to brag about either for a talent like that.

You are looking at what it is right now and thinking it continues for sure. I'm not looking at it that way.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I loved Subban as much as anybody, but there's no way in hell I would bring him back to the Habs.
Subban has become far too much about Subban. He isn't a team guy anymore and his mobility has taken a hit which was always his greatest asset.

Maybe when he is a UFA and you can get him for a 1/3 of the price

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Subban has become far too much about Subban. He isn't a team guy anymore and his mobility has taken a hit which was always his greatest asset.

Maybe when he is a UFA and you can get him for a 1/3 of the price

I agree regarding the mobility issues and distraction that's he's become (even more so).

I don't think i'd even bring him back as a UFA however...The Habs (especially in the next couple of years) should be a very young team. I wouldn't want that type of influence in the locker room.

Reactions: blarneylad

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What future would we be mortgaging? The one where we spend spinning our tires year after year either just making or just missing the playoffs?

This year's draft is very good. I like our young core moving forward. Don't want to give up a first and a piece from our young core like Caufield, Suzuki, or KK. Dorion asked for KK for Stone. I expect Shero to ask for a high end young player - and get it from some other team. Brannstrom was a Suzuki level prospect.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Speaking of trades, how good was that Andrew Shaw trade? Yes, we paid too much (both in salary and in picks) to get him in the first place, but at least Bergevin was smart enough to take a break from working his pipes to trade him while his value was at it's highest, and got back (almost) what we paid for him. Not only that, we sent back an older and much more broken down/ injury prone Andrew Shaw than we what we got 3 years ago.

That Blackhawks second rounder in 2020 could be between 32-35. Lots of talent should be available at those picks

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Speaking of trades, how good was that Andrew Shaw trade? Yes, we paid too much (both in salary and in picks) to get him in the first place, but at least Bergevin was smart enough to take a break from working his pipes to trade him while his value was at it's highest, and got back (almost) what we paid for him. Not only that, we sent back and older and much more broken down/ injury prone Andrew Shaw than we what we got 3 years ago.

Pretty much.

Habs traded for a 24 year old Shaw with 2 Stanley Cups still fresh.

They traded a 27 year old Shaw with injuries and concussion history.

And the price only dropped to one of those picks falling back from the 2nd to the 3rd round.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Speaking of trades, how good was that Andrew Shaw trade? Yes, we paid too much (both in salary and in picks) to get him in the first place, but at least Bergevin was smart enough to take a break from working his pipes to trade him while his value was at it's highest, and got back (almost) what we paid for him. Not only that, we sent back an older and much more broken down/ injury prone Andrew Shaw than we what we got 3 years ago.

That Blackhawks second rounder in 2020 could be between 31-35. Lots of talent should be available at those picks

Thanks to Bergevin's connection with the Blackhawks and how they knew what kind of player Shaw was and only traded him cause of cap space issues. Do we get that return from any other team? Not sure.

But yeah, I say keep the future picks rolling in. Byron should be next

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Thoughts on Mike Matheson?

Healthy scratched. In year 2 of an 8 year deal for $4.875M AAV. 25 yr old LHD. Mobile, dynamic offensive qualities. Up and down defensively. Was averaging 20-22min but down to 19 under Q. Flawed but big upside.

The scratch was meant to be a "wake up" but there's something there. I'm not even advocating for him, I'm just bringing him up as he's another potential trade option to fill that still pressing need for a top 4 LD.

He’s a project that I would love to try but the fact that he’s sign for the next 6 years is a concern if it’s doesn’t work. But he could find his game and become an important piece of our defence like Petry. Personally if the price is not to step for him, I’m interested

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He's not slower than Weber. Sorry, I'm not the type to join popular believe bandwagons. Subban is not as bad as what people are exaggerating it to be. He's struggling on a bad team and I do see him rebounding on a new team.

Fans are so trendy and influenced. Bookmark this post... make fun of me later if you wish but there is potential of rebound. He's 30, not 35.

Whether he's slower or faster than Weber is irrelevant. Weber's game was never based on speed whereas PK's was. PK needs to adapt his game like Markov did and whether or not he can is the $9MM gamble a GM must make. So far, it doesn't look like he's up to the challenge as money, self promotion and complacency seem to be an issue for him.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Subban was and is extremely overrated (the only difference is that its obvious to others now) and Gallagher hates him.. move on.

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Whether he's slower or faster than Weber is irrelevant. Weber's game was never based on speed whereas PK's was. PK needs to adapt his game like Markov did and whether or not he can is the $9MM gamble a GM must make.

It's relevant cause the narrative I have been hearing is he is so bad, he will retire. I smell exaggeration to prove points in a debate. And how many times to I have to repeat, it won't be Subban with his full cap hit. More like $6.5M for 3 more years.

Sorry, you won't convince me to be the type to double down on a player when they are trending low. Not for talent like this. Same approach Habs fans had with Drouin last year and Domi this year. I think Subban rebounds on a new team in a better fit.

I pick Subban at $6.5M for 3 years vs Petry at $5.5M for 2.... especially if I get trade credit value towards Hall :naughty:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
It's relevant cause the narrative I have been hearing is he is so bad, he will retire. I smell exaggeration to prove points in a debate. And how many times to I have to repeat, it won't be Subban with his full cap hit. More like $6.5M for 3 more years.

Sorry, you won't convince me to be the type to double down on a player when they are trending low. Not for talent like this. Same approach Habs fans had with Drouin last year and Domi this year. I think Subban rebounds on a new team in a better fit.

I pick Subban at $6.5M for 3 years vs Petry at $5.5M for 2.... especially if I get trade credit value towards Hall :naughty:

Petry is a better player than Subban, you're wasting your time spamming this illogical BS because there's 0% chance we trade back for him. Subban was traded for non hockey related reasons as well, thats why you'll neversee him again. Save yourself some time/energy and stop spamming.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

If we were talking the PK of old, I'd be there with you 100%. This latest iteration of PK is down right bad so I wouldn't be inclined to give him anything based on his past performance. Add to that his former mates here apparently aren't terribly keen on him and this has disaster written all over it especially with this teams current composition. Sorry but I'm a hard pass across all points. I certainly don't think he's better than Petry at this point and Petry has been pretty terrible thus far.

Last edited:

DarkSender

Apr 29, 2019
Laval
Right now Subban isn't event worth half his salary. But signing a 33 year old Petry in 2021 is a way bigger issue for Bergevin. Only if he accepts being paid around 3-4M$ then Bergevin can consider him. Otherwise, its much wiser to give more ice-time and money on youth like Cale Fleury, Josh Brooks or if God gives a second chance for Noah Juulsen.

Really, what happened to Noah Juulsen is a big big loss for him first of course, but for the Canadiens as well. Our right defence is already flooding and we have top tier prospects that we could have traded for picks or for other prospects at other positions. Im assuming Josh Brooks becomes a good defenceman, he has good shot, speed and height.. Maybe not the best hockey IQ but he's improving in Laval.

PS: Putting trades aside... what would happen, if NYR gets more points than the 3rd atlantic division but not more than the 2nd drafted teams for a playoff spot ??? Like imagine the scenario happening.. its going to be crazy. If it was Montreal in that position, I bet we would be super mad if we dont get into playoffs even though we got more points than a team in the east that was able to get into playoffs because its own division is really bad. Is there any ruling on that ? Or NHL really thought that they will always be 3 teams for each division to get into playoffs.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I loved Subban as much as anybody, but there's no way in hell I would bring him back to the Habs.

he's making 10million this year....

8 million next year...

8 million the next year

Cap hit 9 million ....

So far this year 5 pts in 30 games...
No way the Devils will be able to trade him even if they want to.....they'll have to pay big to move him ...

If Devils will eat a big chuck of his salary + give us an asset...yup i'd take him back ....but the same GM is still here ,so the odds of that happening are slim.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
he's making 10million this year....

8 million next year...

8 million the next year

Cap hit 9 million ....

So far this year 5 pts in 30 games...
No way the Devils will be able to trade him even if they want to.....they'll have to pay big to move him ...

If Devils will eat a big chuck of his salary + give us an asset...yup i'd take him back ....but the same GM is still here ,so the odds of that happening are slim.

Well, let's just say we're not on the same boat regarding that. The distractions he would create on the team are not worth the asset (which is probably nothing special) we would get as compensation.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Well, let's just say we're not on the same boat regarding that. The distractions he would create on the team are not worth the asset (which is probably nothing special) we would get as compensation.

i think the chance of him coming back to Montreal with a 9 million cap hit and Bergevin as GM is 0%

If he still has some gas left in the tank at the end of 2022 season, and Bergevin is gone?...might be 2.5 - 3 - 4 million dollar a yr contract and a 33 yr old Subban finishes out his career with the Habs.....Id give this a 50/50 chance of happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad