Rumor: Chris Johnston: Leafs looking at bringing in 2 veteran goalies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Gibson might be a medium risk, high reward guy. The risk will be the $$$, the cost to acquire him should be low. When he tries, he's good. But playing on this team has killed his motivation. Playing on a contender might spark him, especially if he wants a contract after this one is up. Hopefully playing under Eakins didn't break him...

But goaltending didn't seem to be the issue this year. Add a playoff performer or two and that series looks completely different. 2 1 goal losses (not counting the empty net in the difference) and a 2 goal loss. Only 1 game scoring more than 2.
Goaltending was absolutely an issue this year, Samsonov himself pissed away about 15 points this year

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Two veteran goalies doesn’t mean they are attempting to get or pay two starting quality players or to push Woll out of the picture. I think the goal is to upgrade Samsonov into somebody more reliable to pair with Woll and then just have a veteran third stringer who can plug in during an injury crisis.

Martin Jones really fell apart at the end of the year after putting up some good numbers early (last 9 starts: 0.863 SV%, 3.94 GAA) so probably just a more reliable third option than him = the “second veteran goalie”.

1A/B) New veteran
1B/A) Woll
3) Cheap vet insurance better than a washed up Martin Jones

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Goaltending was absolutely an issue this year, Samsonov himself pissed away about 15 points this year
Wasn't exactly the issue when the games mean the most though.

Haven't the least amount of goals per game and a horrendous PP seems to be the larger issue.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I was talking about just playoffs. I didn't watch enough games to comment for the season. Just stat watching, absolutely upgrade Samsonov. Those numbers are horrible behind a team like Toronto.

Ledge And Dairy

When have you ever seen a goalie land a star forward in a trade?

Also why wouldn't Gibson waive to get away from the Dumpster fire that is the Ducks?

Markstrom not being cheap doesn't matter to me.
How often are top 5 goalies even traded? I never said Saros for Marner 1 for 1, Nashville adds for sure, but they are not going to just move him unless it actually improves their team

Gibson doesn't want to go to Canada

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
TSN's Chris Johnston: said on his podcast that he believes that the Leafs will bring 2 veteran goalies in the off season,he doesn't believe they are sold on Joseph Woll because of his injury issues.

As a fan this makes me very happy because as talented as Joseph Woll is, and he is, he does have injury issues, he missed 3 months this year because he got hurt on a muffin of a shot, and then he missed game 7 against Boston because he attempted to make a save on a shot that he literally did not even need to attempt to save because game 6 was already over he took himself out of game 7.

Joseph Woll needs to be the backup for awhile until you proves he can be healthy enough to be a legitimate #1 goalie.

The talent is there, so far the health is not.

Who do you think they bring in?

Lots of goalies available.

Markstrom
Saros
Gibson
Merzlikns
Potentially Jarry
Hoffer played well does that make Binner available?
What about Vejmelka in Utah?

Side note Utah having a team is still strange to me.

I know people are down on Gibson and Merzlikns but I'd be fine with either of them, I think they just need to get off their current teams, especially Gibson.

Regardless they have to acquire a goalie because they only have 1 under contract so they have no choice.

Is knies available?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Just f***ing take Markstrom, they likely take Markstrom.

When have you ever seen a goalie land a star forward in a trade?

Also why wouldn't Gibson waive to get away from the Dumpster fire that is the Ducks?

Markstrom not being cheap doesn't matter to me.

Weather, media, fan pressure are just some of the things that Gibson would waive for Toronto.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Ah yes, the yearly "A Podcaster said the TML are going after a goalie this off season" thread. And how are they going to pay for this goalie after they announce the have locked up Marner on a 8x12.5 and Tavares for 8x10 so he can retire a Leaf.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
No offseason would be complete without the Leafs dumpster diving for goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad