Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread - What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We need to play the young guys like Carr, Ghetto, Hudon etc to see where they are at in terms of development and who knows, there may even be a 20 goal guy in there. We , very quickly I think, need to do everything that helps us evaluate what is in the pipeline to better assess what we have, and what they are worth if we want to do trades. This season is likely lost and so we need to take stock of things.

Running out and signing 30 year old UFAs to $5M a year contracts will kill you in the world of the salary cap. You have to have contributing cheap talent to offset the big veteran pay cheques.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
MTL targeting Ladd is nothing new.... We all know MB wants him here, having seen what he can do in Chicago up close.

Eklund :shakehead

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Everyone say hello to Eklund he's reading this thread for ideas again.

What was it last year, someone was live tweeting the trade proposal thread...someone mentioned Coburn and Simmonds as guys to target, then the rumors started that day.:laugh:

Sources say it that Eklund, DLC and Hockey30 will be merged so that their owners can conspire on manufacturing more consistency in trade rumors. :sarcasm:

And yes, sources say that you can give anything more spin if you use words like "sources say" or fake exculpatory lines like "it's all on me". :sarcasm:

It's not whether a rumor is ever realized, it's whether it finds support from some other mongerer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Stubborn on the blue, stubborn ... at the lack of points on the blue:

I also have never been that impressed with Beaulieu and think he's overrated by most Hab fans. I said this team is going to be in big trouble when Markov is gone and we are already seeing what happens as I know at one point a few weeks ago we had the lowest scoring blueline in the NHL. Markov after a great season last year as one of the top scoring D's looks like he won't even hit 40 pts. We just don't have anyone to replace his offense right now and it's a huge concern that I don't know how they fix it especially if the Cap goes down next year.

I lifted the above post from another thread and thought it raised an issue in terms of trading priorities. Cause for concern? Is this a need that requires urgent attention or can it wait til next year?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Stubborn on the blue, stubborn ... at the lack of points on the blue:

I lifted the above post from another thread and thought it raised an issue in terms of trading priorities. Cause for concern? Is this a need that requires urgent attention or can it wait til next year?

Edler
Vrbata re-signed at 4 x 2 years
Gaunce

for

Beaulieu
2017 1st
McCarron
2016 3rd

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Edler
Vrbata re-signed at 4 x 2 years
Gaunce

for

Beaulieu
2017 1st
McCarron
2016 3rd

yuck... no thanks

I like Edler a lot, but Beaulieu/1st/McCarron is too hefty a price to pay.

i wouldn't value Gaunce/Vrbata at anything more than a 3rd.

Vrbata has little to no value to us, not at all the kind of player we need right now & not nearly enough of an upgrade on Carr/Andrighetto to be worth re-signing at anything more than a veteran minimum.

Gaunce is a meh prospect.

and of course, it doesn't work cap-wise this year or moving forward.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
I am considering the fact that the odds of missing the playoffs are slim. Yes thats right slim. 9 teams currently 5 points out of third place in the conference suggests that there are too many inconsistent teams in this conference to declare anyone out of the playoffs.
Playoffs are attainable without Price so I wouldnt start inserting Mathews or any other top draft pick into your fantasy lineup. Not yet.
Watching Habs without Price makes you want to give up but the players havent. The Habs were unlucky to be tied with Leafs at end of regulation.
The real negatives of the game were the pathetic power play and the way Phaneuf abused Galchenyuk,Pacioretty and Weise. Clune wanted to hurt someone but hes too slow.
But Barberio and Carr showed up to play for sure. Im convinced that Pacioretty is playing a team game now but it may be that the injury hampered his breakaway speed this year,he appears much slower but plays in front of the net a lot more now.
Im expecting Habs in playoffs.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
yuck... no thanks

I like Edler a lot, but Beaulieu/1st/McCarron is too hefty a price to pay.

i wouldn't value Gaunce/Vrbata at anything more than a 3rd.

Vrbata has little to no value to us, not at all the kind of player we need right now & not nearly enough of an upgrade on Carr/Andrighetto to be worth re-signing at anything more than a veteran minimum.

Gaunce is a meh prospect.

and of course, it doesn't work cap-wise this year or moving forward.

I'm quite high on Gaunce

obvs move out DD/Eller and Gilbert to clear some cap space and get Van to take a 1-2m cap dump or retain salary on Edler; so says my capologist

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I am considering the fact that the odds of missing the playoffs are slim. Yes thats right slim. 9 teams currently 5 points out of third place in the conference suggests that there are too many inconsistent teams in this conference to declare anyone out of the playoffs.

You might want to use another dictionnary in re the meaning of the word "slim".

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
A trade I can see happening is Gilbert to a playoff team once the picture clears up a little more. He's a UFA at the end of the year and the Habs are unlikely to resign him at $2.8 million or more. Pateryn may be a notch or two down but in a cap world it is something you have to live with. With the way he is playing in St John's Ellis also deserves a shot. I'm not sure of Nygren's status but he would also have to be considered a candidate to replace Gilbert if available.

They could compete for the 3rd pairing RH defense job.

I don't see Gilbert fetching much more than a 3rd round pick when you consider what Montreal paid for Petry last year.

I would put Smith-Pelly in the same boat as Gilbert. He's not as talented but as a pending RFA with a modest contract he might also fetch a 3rd but likely less than that. Players like Andrighetto, Lessio and Friberg would compete for his job next year. In the meantime, the team wouldn't lose much in the way of production by replacing Smith-Pelly in the lineup with an AHL call up for the rest of the year.

Not at all earth shattering but it is the kind of trades I would expect to see.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
You might want to use another dictionnary in re the meaning of the word "slim".

Haha yeah. Sportsclubstats.com has our chances of making the playoffs to be at 53.8%. This is well past the point of referring to their chances as "slim".

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm quite high on Gaunce

obvs move out DD/Eller and Gilbert to clear some cap space and get Van to take a 1-2m cap dump or retain salary on Edler; so says my capologist

At this stage in their careers, Eller & DD are better options than Vrbata at anything more than 1.5-2M... & even then, questionable especially in Eller's case.

Higher on gaunce than Mac? That still leaves a very high price to pay for the upgrade from Beaulieu to edler... No thx

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
That's for my capologist to figure out. I just make the proposals.

Well, since I check the cap on every trade, I can take over that duty.

That would be adding $10,863,000 for this year for the Habs and only giving up $1,863,000 ... for a plus difference of $9,000,000.

It may look close with just that one small decimal place difference, but its enough to make this trade a no go.

Vancouver is tight cap wise, but you'd still have to send around an additional $7.5M back and there isn't much Vancouver would take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad