Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread - The real deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Re: Borgstrom.

Bob McKenzie was on TSN 690 and adamantly said the Panthers would not move Borgstrom.

It comes down to this. Forget about all of these players that teams won't move. Just pile up as many draft picks as you can and draft them. It's nauseating to constantly hit a wall about how no young player is available. It's pretty clear where the NHL is at. Why can't we draft a Borgstrom-type? How thick are our scouts?

Reactions: mariolemieux66

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It comes down to this. Forget about all of these players that teams won't move. Just pile up as many draft picks as you can and draft them. It's nauseating to constantly hit a wall about how no young player is available. It's pretty clear where the NHL is at. Why can't we draft a Borgstrom-type? How thick are our scouts?

We had two 2nds that draft.. an additional two from the Eller trade. Could have used it as ammo to select him. Obviously they felt Shaw was worth it. Lmao.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed which is why i shake my head when I read/hear some folks say the Habs should keep Plekanec unless they can get a 2nd rounder or better for him.

I don't care if it's a 5th...trade him, accumulate as many picks for this summer as possible.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Agreed which is why i shake my head when I read/hear some folks say the Habs should keep Plekanec unless they can get a 2nd rounder or better for him.

I don't care if it's a 5th...trade him, accumulate as many picks for this summer as possible.
For sure, they can bring him back next season if they want him so bad. Same should apply to Deslauriers.

Reactions: 417

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
But we are not winning the cup anytime soon.
If Winnipeg wants Shaw they need to pay up.

The salary is a real hindrance though, Bergevin would have to eat some per annum, and Roslovic has been very good in his audition. I think Lowry's injury will have the Jets looking at centre depth.

The player you can probably get from Winnipeg because his career has kind of died, due to the talent above him, and his lack of size, is Nic Petan.

Not a really strong player, but strong skill set. Can QB a PP off the half wall.

In a situation where Backlund emerged as 2C, you could maybe field a lineup of

Galchenyuk-Drouin-Sherbak
Lehkonen-Backlund-Gallagher
Byron-Danault-Shaw
Hudon-Petan-(McCarron?)

With Hudon-Petan-Gallagher
Backlund and Weber as the 2nd PP.

I think Shaw gets one more year. He is a core player. Good friends with Byron, and well liked, as you try to unite your locker room. Great in front of the net on the PP.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Absolutely agree.............if you want to bring him back in the summer, for 1-2M on a 1-2 yr deal so be it..........but they have to get a pick for him!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We had two 2nds that draft.. an additional two from the Eller trade. Could have used it as ammo to select him. Obviously they felt Shaw was worth it. Lmao.

Idiots. Watch them trade away picks because Bergevin. That's all we need to know.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
For sure, they can bring him back next season if they want him so bad. Same should apply to Deslauriers.
I have my thoughts on whether or not he should be back next season (in short - NO!)...but for the time being, there's no doubt they should move him.

It shouldn't even be a question.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Absolutely agree.............if you want to bring him back in the summer, for 1-2M on a 1-2 yr deal so be it..........but they have to get a pick for him!!
I can't see Plekanec taking a 4M paycut...

IF they foolishly decide to bring back Plekanec, it's going to be at 3-4M because that's the monster they've created.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
The salary is a real hindrance though, Bergevin would have to eat some per annum, and Roslovic has been very good in his audition. I think Lowry's injury will have the Jets looking at centre depth.

The player you can probably get from Winnipeg because his career has kind of died, due to the talent above him, and his lack of size, is Nic Petan.

Not a really strong player, but strong skill set. Can QB a PP off the half wall.

In a situation where Backlund emerged as 2C, you could maybe field a lineup of

Galchenyuk-Drouin-Sherbak
Lehkonen-Backlund-Gallagher
Byron-Danault-Shaw
Hudon-Petan-(McCarron?)

With Hudon-Petan-Gallagher
Backlund and Weber as the 2nd PP.

I think Shaw gets one more year. He is a core player. Good friends with Byron, and well liked, as you try to unite your locker room. Great in front of the net on the PP.
If Molson is willing to retain 1mil on Shaw at 2.9mil is good for Winnipeg.
I can't see Plekanec taking a 4M paycut...

IF they foolishly decide to bring back Plekanec, it's going to be at 3-4M because that's the monster they've created.
The thing is, I would rather bring Plekanec back for 1 year, then sign Backlund to a 6 years/35+mil contract. 36 years old Tomas Plekanec is better for the tank than Backlund.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The thing is, I would rather bring Plekanec back for 1 year, then sign Backlund to a 6 years/35+mil contract. 36 years old Tomas Plekanec is better for the tank than Backlund.
The "tank" doesn't have to be a 5yr prison sentence...

The Habs aren't making the playoffs this year, they can position themselves nicely to draft in the top 5 if they're smart...and get right back to competing next year or the year after.

Plekanec at 3-4M next year makes no sense on any level...even if you wanna tank, just plug in DLR in that same role and the team won't miss a tanking beat.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So would I...the Montreal Canadiens organization has been holding itself hostage with Plekanec for years for fear that if they trade him, they'll never be able to prevent goals against.
They have spent so much time on bottom 6 forwards that they think they are irreplaceable without trading for one.

Reactions: 417

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
The "tank" doesn't have to be a 5yr prison sentence...

The Habs aren't making the playoffs this year, they can position themselves nicely to draft in the top 5 if they're smart...and get right back to competing next year or the year after.

Plekanec at 3-4M next year makes no sense on any level...even if you wanna tank, just plug in DLR in that same role and the team won't miss a tanking beat.
5 years would be best unless we get extremly lucky the next 3 years. We are not getting a legit top C or D unless we draft in the top 5. We need 2 top 2 C and a bunch of dmen. If you look around the league, teams arent trading their top C prospects. This team's core sucks, they have no prospects coming soon that can help the team win, no prospects that we can use to acquire a top 2 C, our defense is brutal, we are small, soft, dont have much speed, cant score goals.
This team needs a full rebuild whether we like it or not unfortunately. Do you think i want to go throughy a 3 to 5 years rebuild? Not at all!
But its the only way to bring this team back to winning.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
5 years would be best unless we get extremly lucky the next 3 years. We are not getting a legit top C or D unless we draft in the top 5. We need 2 top 2 C and a bunch of dmen. If you look around the league, teams arent trading their top C prospects. This team's core sucks, they have no prospects coming soon that can help the team win, no prospects that we can use to acquire a top 2 C, our defense is brutal, we are small, soft, dont have much speed, cant score goals.
This team needs a full rebuild whether we like it or not unfortunately. Do you think i want to go throughy a 3 to 5 years rebuild? Not at all!
But its the only way to bring this team back to winning.
It doesn't have to take that long if you do it properly...

If you're hanging on to past-due veterans like Plekanec and not moving them for draft picks...then yeah, sure, it'll take 5+yrs.

But if you're proactive...you can drastically change the direction of this franchise in 2yrs

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Minor deal, but how about :

:habs

Xavier Ouellet

:wings

Michael McCarron

Let both guys play for their hometown team

*This deal has to happen if we sell off Benn, Schlemko for picks.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
It doesn't have to take that long if you do it properly...

If you're hanging on to past-due veterans like Plekanec and not moving them for draft picks...then yeah, sure, it'll take 5+yrs.

But if you're proactive...you can drastically change the direction of this franchise in 2yrs
We are not pulling what Boston did a couple of seasons ago. We don't have anyone as good as Marchand, Bergeron, Pastarnak, Krejci, Krug, Chara and Rask is better than Price.
We are so far away from being very competitive. Boston also drafted 9 times within the top 52(2015 and 2016). That's crazy!
Do you really think we are remotely close to that?

I wont even discuss the mamagement team here in Montreal, the team and management in Laval, our scouts teams, our draft picks...
This team is a mess.

Last edited:

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Just sell off a bunch of players for picks/prospects this year and next and refill the roster next year with some signed ufas and youngsters.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We are not pulling what Boston did a couple of seasons ago. We don't have anyone as good as Marchand, Bergeron, Pastarnak, Krejci, Krug, Chara and Rask is better than Price.
We are so far away from being very competitive. Boston also drafted 9 times within the top 52(2015 and 2016). That's crazy!
Do you really think we are remotely close to that?

I wont even discuss the mamagement team here in Montreal, the team and management in Laval, our scouts teams, our draft picks...
This team is a mess.
There's no reason why we can't pull what Boston did other than being stubborn and having no foresight.

The Bruins realized they were going nowhere, they didn't throw in the towel and tank and just hope some generational player would save them.

They used the best method a team can use to build their team...the draft.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
There's no reason why we can't pull what Boston did other than being stubborn and having no foresight.

The Bruins realized they were going nowhere, they didn't throw in the towel and tank and just hope some generational player would save them.

They still had a solid core to rebuild around. We dont!
I dont see us turning this team around in just 2 off seasons.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They still had a solid core to rebuild around. We dont!
I dont see us turning this team around in just 2 off seasons.
Neither do I...but only because it doesn't appear those in charge are capable of it.

Otherwise, I think it's more than realistic

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

They had Pastrnak in the system already and had a better group of veterans. Montreal doesn't have a Krejci or Bergeron.

Lets use some foresight then. How precisely will Montreal get a high end #1C, #2C and a #2D without getting rid of their top veterans the way Boston did?

Reactions: sampollock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad