Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread - The real deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Basing it on what i've seen on twitter and my conversations with my sens fans friends...

But agreed, the trade to acquire Phaneuf 2 years ago was awful, yesterday's trade was even worse.

It was Dorion's way out of Phaneuf's deal. The idea was right but the execution was wrong.

With 25% retention, a pick should've definitely been added. But Gaborik should be easy enough to buy out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It was Dorion's way out of Phaneuf's deal. The idea was right but the execution was wrong.

With the 25% retention, he should've targeted picks or prospects instead of an easier deal to buy out in Gaborik.
Like pretty much every deal that the Senators do...it's about money first, team a distant 2nd.

Reactions: le_sean

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Is it possible that any Galchenyuk trade is conditional on him not playing center? As to not make Bergevin look bad should Galchenyuk thrive there? :sarcasm:

Lmao i can see MB testing offers and asking where they want to play him lolol
Nah I dont think he cares once he is in another org , he will have a wheel of excuses to blame it on

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That said, Scott Matla of Habs Eyes on The Prize believes that the Habs could get an interesting return for their 35-year-old veteran if he was traded to the Sharks.
What exactly could that return be?
Bergevin might be willing to do a tremendous favour to the Sharks, as they've been trying by all means to get rid of Paul Martin's contract. The left-handed defenseman is under contract for one more season after this at $4.85million.
By taking on the salary dump, the Sharks could make up for it by offering a top prospect and Matla identified three in particular: Julius Bergman, Jayden Halbgewachs and Noah Rod.

I don't know those prospects. But taking on Martin does not seem like the worst move.

He could pair up with Petry in the 2nd pairing. Move Alzner down to a 3rd pairing, still contributing on the PK, with Juulsen. Mete and Weber as the 1st. Schlemko becomes #7 then.

Habs need a top 4 defenseman. Martin was a solid top 4. Not sure how much his game has fallen off with age.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I would not say that they are in a bind. Chabot will replace Phaneuf. White will replace Brassard. Logan Brown is a blue chip prospect. They still need to replace a partner for Karlsson, in losing Methot. I think they have the cap space to sign Karlsson and Duchesne to extensions. For me the problem is that Anderson may not be able to get back to the top. And they have no one behind him.

Montreal is in a bind. They have no centres, no prospects, and had to rush Mete (who is definitely not better than Chabot) to the NHL because they have no depth at any position, except 3LW.

A bunch of rookies expected to lift the team. Barring a miracle, they will still suck next year and owe the Avs a top pick for an overrated centre when they could have just kept the fine centre they had.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I also think that Pax is more valuable by a fair margin than any of the other options out there but i really wonder if the fact that buyers will have cheaper options if they will be ready to pay the premium to get Pax.

Who are the buyers that can give us the Center prospect that we're looking for??

St Louis(Thomas): They have Fabbri coming back next year, i would settle for the cheapest option and keep Thomas, they are weak at center and about to loose Stastny.

L-A(Vilardi): They are not even sure to make the playoff, would they risk to loose theyre biggest prospect for 1 year of Pax??

Winnipeg: Is Roslovic a good enough C prospect to be the center piece for a Pax trade?

Calgary: Jankowsky or Bennett?? are they good enough to make you move Pax?

Unless they decide to trade Pax for something else than a C prospect, what in my mind would be very stupid but not surprising, i think its gonna be very tough for MB to land what he should be looking for at this tdl.

I can say that Roslovic is a blue chipper. We can thank Evander Kane for him.

Jets have really done their job in scouting. 1st year drafted their franchise centre (Scheifele) and shut down centre (Lowry), converted from a winger with a year in the m

2nd year drafted shutdown d-man (Trouba) and franchise goalie (Hellebuyck)

3rd year drafted their other shutdown d-man (Morrissey) and spare parts

4th year, scoring winger, Ehlers

5th year, Connor and Roslovic, both with bright futures, plus hauled in Myers, Armia, Lemieux for problematic players Kane and Bogosian.

6th year, Laine, the next Ovy. Logan Stanley, another big solid defenseman.

The Jets could not take Pacioretty. They will have to shed somebody to pay for the raises in store for Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, and Lowry. A rental is possible, like Nash, but I'd say inprobable. Max Domi would be a good fit.

For the record, Cheveldayoff was the director of hockey operations in the Hawks, replaced by Bergevin.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don't know those prospects. But taking on Martin does not seem like the worst move.

He could pair up with Petry in the 2nd pairing. Move Alzner down to a 3rd pairing, still contributing on the PK, with Juulsen. Mete and Weber as the 1st. Schlemko becomes #7 then.

Habs need a top 4 defenseman. Martin was a solid top 4. Not sure how much his game has fallen off with age.
I am not sure if Paul Martin can keep up in the AHL. If we are tanking then i wouldn't mind taking on Martin as long as San Jose sends something good our way since Martin has 1 more year at 4.85mil

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I think Pacioretty to the Blues makes the most sense from both sides but I’d want Kyrou rather than Thomas as the main piece coming back. I’d probably do something along the lines of trades.

Break it into two sections. Trades at deadline:

Trade 1

To St Louis: Pacioretty, 2018 Washington 2nd round pick.

To Montreal: Jordan Kyrou, Tage Thompson and a 1st in 2018.

Trade 2

To San Jose: Tomas Plekanec

To Montreal: Paul Martin, 2nd round pick 2018, 2nd round pick 2019

Trade 3

Jordie Benn, Schlemko and Alzner to any team that will take them. Doubt anyone bites on Alzner.

Trades at draft:

Montreal acquires Ryan Nugent-Hopkins from Edmonton in exchange for Brendan Gallagher.

This would give the Habs, Two first round picks in 2018, a couple of top prospects in Kyrou and Thompson and a genuine top center for 3 signed years.

Also sign a UFA or two depending on availability and cost. Would love to see Mikael Backlund here as a second line center.

2018-2019 lineup looks like:

Drouin - Nugent-Hopkins - Hudon
Scherbak - Backlund - Galchenyuk
Lehkonen - Danault - Thompson
Deslauriers - Byron - A. Shaw

Dahlin (hopefully) - Weber
Mete - Petry
Martin - Juulsen
Alzner

Price
Lindgren

At the end of the season look to deal guys like Andrew Shaw and Byron for picks and prospects, while bringing in high end prospect Kyrou to play with the club.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I can say that Roslovic is a blue chipper. We can thank Evander Kane for him.

Jets have really done their job in scouting. 1st year drafted their franchise centre (Scheifele) and shut down centre (Lowry), converted from a winger with a year in the m

2nd year drafted shutdown d-man (Trouba) and franchise goalie (Hellebuyck)

3rd year drafted their other shutdown d-man (Morrissey) and spare parts

4th year, scoring winger, Ehlers

5th year, Connor and Roslovic, both with bright futures, plus hauled in Myers, Armia, Lemieux for problematic players Kane and Bogosian.

6th year, Laine, the next Ovy. Logan Stanley, another big solid defenseman.

The Jets could not take Pacioretty. They will have to shed somebody to pay for the raises in store for Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, and Lowry. A rental is possible, like Nash, but I'd say inprobable. Max Domi would be a good fit.

For the record, Cheveldayoff was the director of hockey operations in the Hawks, replaced by Bergevin.
JETS have schooled MTL on scouting,

love to get Morrissey and Connor for maxy

Reactions: Rapala

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From yesterday's TSN Insider Trading:

Darren Dreger: Well, general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff would like to add a forward and he’d like to add a defenceman. If you look up front a top-six forward would be perfect. A player who could bring some grit, they’ll settle on a top-nine. Andrew Shaw’s name has surfaced from the Montreal Canadiens but I think that’s going to be a real tough player to acquire from Winnipeg’s standpoint, but I know that Paul Maurice would like to add a little bit of muscle.

Pierre LeBrun: All things being equal, Andrew Shaw will probably stay put. The Montreal Canadiens do not intend, I’m told, to put him on the market. Obviously never say never, but that’s their intention right now.

Insider Trading: Do the Jets have holes? - Article - TSN
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The idiots running our team. :facepalm:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Darren Dreger: Well, general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff would like to add a forward and he’d like to add a defenceman. If you look up front a top-six forward would be perfect. A player who could bring some grit, they’ll settle on a top-nine. Andrew Shaw’s name has surfaced from the Montreal Canadiens but I think that’s going to be a real tough player to acquire from Winnipeg’s standpoint, but I know that Paul Maurice would like to add a little bit of muscle.

Pierre LeBrun: All things being equal, Andrew Shaw will probably stay put. The Montreal Canadiens do not intend, I’m told, to put him on the market. Obviously never say never, but that’s their intention right now.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is truly astounding and bears out the point I made about Radulov.
Bergevin's ego won't allow him to change his views on his valuations. How pathetic is that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It is truly astounding and bears out the point I made about Radulov.
Bergevin's ego won't allow him to change his views on his valuations. How pathetic is that.

Essentially we're stuck with all of the acquisitions that Bergevin overpaid for. This guy has to go pronto, his ego is standing in the way of moving forward.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Trade 1

To St Louis: Pacioretty, 2018 Washington 2nd round pick.

To Montreal: Jordan Kyrou, Tage Thompson and a 1st in 2018.

Trade 2

To San Jose: Tomas Plekanec

To Montreal: Paul Martin, 2nd round pick 2018, 2nd round pick 2019

Trade 3

Jordie Benn, Schlemko and Alzner to any team that will take them. Doubt anyone bites on Alzner.

Trades at draft:

Montreal acquires Ryan Nugent-Hopkins from Edmonton in exchange for Brendan Gallagher.
Switch out Thompson for Thomas in the first trade.
In the second trade one of those second rounders as to be a first round
Trade at draft. No! No No and I wouldn't mind getting RNH but Gallagher is not a player you trade. Gallagher you keep.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I am not sure if Paul Martin can keep up in the AHL. If we are tanking then i wouldn't mind taking on Martin as long as San Jose sends something good our way since Martin has 1 more year at 4.85mil

Sadly Bergevin's ability to take on cap space at the deadline might be his greatest tool in rebuilding this team.

I would say that looking at contracts and the age of their core and window, L.A. and San Jose are buyers at the deadline. Minnesota has a GM on the hot seat too, so they might make a move.

Pacioretty to L.A. makes sense. Maybe to the Devils, hard to say if they are feeling pressure to sell playoff tickets. I would take Zacha off of them, ++.

St. Louis I just don't see as buyers, other than parts (Grabner), not with the potential they have. Would be a different look with Fabbri and Sanford healthy. Add Thomas and Kyrou and you have a team that will remain in contention.

Something tells if Plekanec were to get traded, it's an Eastern team like Pitt or Tampa that would make an offer for his face off/PK prowess. Can't emphasize face offs enough in the playoffs.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I don't know, man. I'd keep Shaw. I don't agree with you guys. He's a good player. Most of the guys on this board are singing the praises of Cheveldayoff and he's interested in Shaw. That should tip us that Shaw is a necessary piece on a cup winner.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Essentially we're stuck with all of the acquisitions that Bergevin overpaid for. This guy has to go pronto, his ego is standing in the way of moving forward.

yep.

a fresh set of eyes could come in and, without emotion, evaluate whether certain players are a fit for the team's long term plans.

a handful of players are more suited to a team looking to make a playoff run.
- scoring winger they probably won't re-sign
- 3rd line checking center
- gritty, 3rd line agitator with Cup experience / success
- depth defensemen
- aging, minute-eating, man mountain with heavy shot

This team needs youth, skill, speed.

Jethlan

Apr 3, 2017
RDP
Would not really help the team.
Such a Bergevin trade tho. Tryning to compensate for holes by switching players from their natural position.

Good contiunity of the "no plan" plan of the last 2 years.
by getting faulk we could move Weber to a team like TOR with a deal like this
To Montreal;
Nylander
Liljegren
1st round pick

To Toronto:
Weber(25% retained)
2nd round pick
just an idea.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know, man. I'd keep Shaw. I don't agree with you guys. He's a good player. Most of the guys on this board are singing the praises of Cheveldayoff and he's interested in Shaw. That should tip us that Shaw is a necessary piece on a cup winner.

Shaw is concussion prone and it won't get any better. And, there is an aura about him that he's some kind of "playoff warrior". I don't see the need for that on a team that is starved for offence and has no organizational depth. Shaw is no better than anyone else on this team -- they should all be made available.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
But we are not winning the cup anytime soon.
If Winnipeg wants Shaw they need to pay up.

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
According to rumours, Florida is interested by Patches.... Even if they are not in the Playoffs run.

Young centerman Borgstrom, a Finnish playing at Denver U, drafted 23rd overall in 2016, would be involved. he is 6'3, 200 pounds, and he is the second most productive player in his College League. He has all the potential to become a top-six centerman in the NHL, and could quit College to play NHL next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad