Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread - The "Quick get Boston on the line." Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HABNIKO

Jun 29, 2015
Montreal
Semin should go play with the Kostisyn bro's. We need a size ang grid with a scoring touch but where? Trurh is I'd rather have Lecavalier than any of the other clowns.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Semin should go play with the Kostisyn bro's. We need a size ang grid with a scoring touch but where? Trurh is I'd rather have Lecavalier than any of the other clowns.

Lecavalier has zero grit and no scoring touch whatsoever. When healthy Semin arguably has the best wrist shot in the league.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

We need talent and goals.. we already have a bunch of grinders now.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Lecavailer's time has passed either due to injuries catching up to him or the game has become too fast for him. He would be still focused on like a god here but thats all it would be. He is done even on a bad team like Philly, he looked awful.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
you mean Alexander "The Next Ovechkin" Avtsin. Please refer to Him using His full title at all times :sarcasm:

He probably works as a car salesman now and reads HF like all of us, it's an honorable job, not everybody can make it; but yeah, the media hyped him out, used him to write a good story du jour indeed.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

No, we have enough grinders.

We need talent and goal scoring. Semin is the only guy with either of those (he has both). He was incredible the year when the Canes gave him a 1 year deal. They're the idiots for signing him long term.

Sign him cheap for 1 year and he'll be exactly what we need him to be. He can also be a stud on the defensive side of the puck when he wants to be.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
It's been 10+ years of over-hyping prospects that have led to disappointment. I'm jaded now.

In ten years all we have to show for our draft picks is a first line player and a couple of second line wingers. Timmins has not done all that well on offense. In fact, he has been atrocious.

Speaking of over-hyping prospects I remember years back Maxwell and Milroy were touted by many at the next coming of Gretzky. The same thing happened with Trunev, Avstin, Torp, Mikus, etc.

I do not think it is a coincidence that we are having trouble getting an impact forward when you consider the fact that we have virtually no young players that are valued outside of this organization. Most of our prospects, aside from McCarron and Sherbak, are run of the mill players with little impact on the future of an organization. They are players, but the type you can easily get on the UFA market or the draft.

EDIT: If you look at the Habs draft record since 2007 it leaves a lot to be desired. In eight years we have only managed to draft three NHLers: Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Beaulieu. Not a good track record if you ask me. No wonder we are so dreadful on offense.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
In ten years all we have to show for our draft picks is a first line player and a couple of second line wingers. Timmins has not done all that well on offense. In fact, he has been atrocious.

Speaking of over-hyping prospects I remember years back Maxwell and Milroy were touted by many at the next coming of Gretzky. The same thing happened with Trunev, Avstin, Torp, Mikus, etc.

I do not think it is a coincidence that we are having trouble getting an impact forward when you consider the fact that we have virtually no young players that are valued outside of this organization. Most of our prospects, aside from McCarron and Sherbak, are run of the mill players with little impact on the future of an organization. They are players, but the type you can easily get on the UFA market or the draft.

EDIT: If you look at the Habs draft record since 2007 it leaves a lot to be desired. In eight years we have only managed to draft three NHLers: Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Beaulieu. Not a good track record if you ask me. No wonder we are so dreadful on offense.

I've tried to argue this before but the love for Timmins is strong here... I think he's very good, for the record, but I do feel he tends to draft more safe bets that end up being role players in the NHL, and few of his picks end up being stars.

The hype for the prospects is ridiculous sometimes and after being here for so long, I've finally let go of it. I've seen Scherbaks. I've seen McCarrons. Big promises that never pan out. If they were really that good, they'd be valued by others outside the organization, like you said. Sure, you can get a guy like Pacioretty that develops late, but that's the exception, not the rule. It's stupid to give Pacioretty as an example because I can give you 10 players like him that didn't pan out.

Maxwell, Milroy... Good examples of guys people were SO SURE would be big stars.

Avstin, "the next Ovechkin!!"

Konstantin Korneyev, would stabilize the blueline for years to come!
Kostitsyn, a GUARANTEED 40 goal scorer eventually! Same with his brother!!
Someone here once compared Greg Stewart to Guy Lafleur, no joke.
Marcel Hossa, the "better" Hossa, just wait and see!
Jozef Balej, stupid Gainey for MORTGAGING THE FUTURE for a washed up Kovalev!
Perezhogin, the greatest sniper we would ever see!
Chris Higgins, the 40-40 guy!
Cory Urquhart, Corey Locke, Christopher Heino-Lindberg! The FUTURE of the organization.
Ryan O'Byrne, big, strong, a STAPLE on the blueline!
All of them led by Captain Canada, Kyle Chipchura!
Matt D'Agostini, David Fischer, Pavel Valentenko, Danny Kristo, Louis Leblanc...

We all LOVED THESE FUTURE STARS, but nobody outside this fanbase thought any of them were special. And the majority ended up being right, almost every time.

I'm tired man. I've seen this movie way too many times. It's like when they play the same movie on the flight home that they played on the flight to get there.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Just to argue the other side, the truth is that we haven't used a lot of high draft picks on forwards (since offense is what you're looking at). It's not like we're taking a lot of swings and missing, we're just not taking a lot of swings. Since everyone can more or less agree that your chances of obtaining an impact forward after the first two rounds drops significantly, let's see which forwards we have picked in the first two rounds since 2007:

Danny Kristo
Louis Leblanc
Alex Galchenyuk
Sebastian Collberg
Michael McCarron
Jacob de la Rose
Artturi Lehkonen
Nikita Scherbak

8 forwards in the first 2 rounds in 8 years. You're leaving yourself a ridiculously small margin for success with such a small number. And of those 8 we have:

2 busts (Kristo, Leblanc)
1 top-sixer (Galchenyuk)
1 bottom-sixer (de la Rose)
1 moved asset (Collberg)
3 remaining legit prospects (McCarron, Scherbak, Lehkonen)

So the batting average is not that bad. 2 busts out of 8 picks in the top 60 in 8 years sounds about right. That ratio could improve depending on how the last 3 turn out. And you can expand that to 3 busts if you include Collberg when evaluating Timmins alone but from an asset management perspective it was a net positive for the organization.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I really want MB to sign Semin.......

I really see very little downside to it......................................please MB

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010

Good post, but there is something to be considered. For decades, Habs has been a ''defense first'' organisation, no matter who was running it. This mentality spread in each branch of the organisation - and that may explain why our D developped way better then our F.

Another point to consider, Bergevin fired a lot of people and hired a complete new development team, and more scouts too. So now Timmins have more people scouting for him - and players we draft MAY get better support (lapointe and so). I do remember how we lost a lot of young guys because of ''off the ice'' reasons (Ribeiro, Higgins, SKostitsyn and so on) These are skilled NHLers that put themselves in some sort of problems.

The first ''batch'' of these new drafted/developed players are coming in soon - let's see if we can see a difference.

DeLaRose
Hudon
Scherbak
McCarron
AndriGhetto
Bozon

For my part, I think Hudon will have an impact right away !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad