Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread- Start of a New Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I would like Pateryn playing as well and at worse you play Tinordi and move Emelin to the right side or call up one of:

Lernout
Dietz
Bennett

There are options, and Gilbert is what he is. We know what he is, so if we're going to have a guy on the bottom pairing that can't make a pass out of his own zone, they might as well have someone that could have upside to improve.

Bennett sucks, Lernout needs seasoning and while Dietz could be decent (I actually think he's not very far from the NHL), I prefer him playing top pairing in the AHL than sitting in the pressbox in the NHL...

But I'd prefer if Pateryn was playing instead of Gilbert, I think he brings more to the table.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Just about a year ago the consensus on our board was that the Habs had enough in the cupboard to entertain making a play for a primo top 6 player. If we take Mac and Scherbs out of the equation does that still hold true. I'm highly doubtful for some reason.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Just about a year ago the consensus on our board was that the Habs had enough in the cupboard to entertain making a play for a primo top 6 player. If we take Mac and Scherbs out of the equation does that still hold true. I'm highly doubtful for some reason.

The Habs have a ton of trade capital. They have all of their key draft picks for example. A pair of 1st rounders in 2016 and 2017 should be enough.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Would you guys do either Doughty/Kopitar or Kane/Keith for Price? I would do in an instant. Either trade would make us favourites for a cup, all we would need to do is find an adequate goalie. You do not need a superior goalie to win a cup, see Chicago. I know either trade will never happen, for discussion purposes only. (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Would you guys do either Doughty/Kopitar or Kane/Keith for Price? I would do in an instant. Either trade would make us favourites for a cup, all we would need to do is find an adequate goalie. You do not need a superior goalie to win a cup, see Chicago. I know either trade will never happen, for discussion purposes only. (mod)

honestly, i don't think i do either.

- Kane/Keith = 10M$ additional cap hit... and a massive hole in net. So it's not just a matter of swapping price for them, it's also shedding the ~8M$ just to make the cap hit work AND then trying to find a solution in net. Hard to see the team overall being better with that deal, once all the cap dust has settled. Also, seriously doubt the Hawks would even consider it. They've won multiple cups without a goalie of Price's caliber, if they even considered it my guess is that it would be primarily for that 10M$ cap savings.

- Doughty/Kopitar = No way in hell... Kopitar is a UFA at the end of the year, he'll be looking for something in the 9M$+ range... so aside from the risk we'd be left with just doughty, even if we kept both, we'd be looking at ~ 10M$ more on the cap, with a massive hole to fill in net. And with PK (+ Markov/Petry/Beaulieu behind him), Doughty is a luxury we don't really need.

In a cap free world, sure, the pairs probably have more value than Price on his own... but factor in the cap and the need to find a suitable replacement for Price, and neither deal would make any sense for the habs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
E.Staal

with Wiz going down for the season, I wonder if this pushes Francis into "sell" mode right from the start vs waiting until closer to the deadline?

if so, i'd put an offer on the table for E.Staal tomorrow...

DD, DSP/DLR, 1st, Gilbert/Emelin.

if something in that ball park would work for them, we need to be all over that aggressively.

Patches - Staal - Gallagher
Eller - Galch - Semin
Flash - Pleks - Weise
Flynn - Mitchell - Byron

PK - Markov
Petry - Beaulieu
Pateryn - Emelin/Gilbert

that would be a great lineup to push for a contending run...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
early to make much of team scratches... but for the sake of discussion, wonder what the cost would be to pry Matteau/Gelinas from the devils? (both started the season as scratches).

Tinordi, DSP, andreghetto for Matteau/Gelinas?

ups our francophone roster content while giving us some nice young PMD depth to ease eventual Markov transition and a large body feisty player for the bottom 6.

basically upgrading from DSP/Tinordi at the cost of andreghetto.

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Arizona is not going to be very good for the next 3-4 years OEL will be a UFA in 4 years,if Arizona is not willing to pay him 8-9 million per year he would be a good fit in Montreal to replace Markov,and Boedker is a UFA after this year,Arizona needs a young goalie prospect Condon or Fucale,young d-men to replace OEL like Pateryn,Tinordi,Juulsen,forwards like Andrighetto,Carr,McCarron some combination of those type of prospects.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
if so, i'd put an offer on the table for E.Staal tomorrow...

DD, DSP/DLR, 1st, Gilbert/Emelin.

So, two cap dumps, a young player with little upside and a 1st. Why the hell would CAR take that?

And anyways, acquiring E. Staal would be a mistake, IMO. That 100 points season was 10 years ago, FFS. Look at his recent trend, too. He went from 75, to 60, to just 54 points last year.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Arizona is not going to be very good for the next 3-4 years OEL will be a UFA in 4 years,if Arizona is not willing to pay him 8-9 million per year he would be a good fit in Montreal to replace Markov,and Boedker is a UFA after this year,Arizona needs a young goalie prospect Condon or Fucale,young d-men to replace OEL like Pateryn,Tinordi,Juulsen,forwards like Andrighetto,Carr,McCarron some combination of those type of prospects.

OEL would cost a lot. Probably Beaulieu,Juulsen,Scherbak,Fucale,Dump for OEL, a few defencemen.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Any interest in Mike Richards?!? I wouldn't mind giving him a 1 year deal (2 way) 700k too see how he does. He use to be a hard nose two way player with a great shot.

Richards - Mitchell - Smith-Pelly

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Why would Arizona want 2/3 very likely career AHL D-men for one of the best young defenceman in the world? In which universe does that make any sense? If we want OEL we need to trade Galchenyuk or Gallagher, Scherbak, McCarron, 1sts, etc...you realize how good he is, right?

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Why would Arizona want 2/3 very likely career AHL D-men for one of the best young defenceman in the world? In which universe does that make any sense? If we want OEL we need to trade Galchenyuk or Gallagher, Scherbak, McCarron, 1sts, etc...you realize how good he is, right?
Yes i have watched hockey way longer that you and know WAY more about the game than you ...obviously Yes you have to give your 1st round pick big deal if you win the cup it will be 30th overall,Arizona might not want to pay OEL 8-9 million per year for 8 years that is what it will cost,he is one of the top 7 D in the NHL.:)

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Would the Bruins trade Chara for Emelin, a 1st, and something else ? Chara can make better passes and is better on the PK. Emelin would be a Bruins type of player. Bruins rebuild, they need to trade Chara anyway.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Yes i have watched hockey way longer that you and know WAY more about the game than you ...obviously Yes you have to give your 1st round pick big deal if you win the cup it will be 30th overall,Arizona might not want to pay OEL 8-9 million per year for 8 years that is what it will cost,he is one of the top 7 D in the NHL.:)

You seem to have taken a very realistic question far too personally. Congratulations on having watched hockey for a long time, that must have been a very serious time commitment for you.

And you failed to answer the question I posed, but it strikes me that you are not the sharpest tool in the shed, so perhaps I will just agree to disagree with you. If you think AZ ships us OEL for McCarron and a 1st, or something of that nature, you are utterly in the dark. But please tell me more about the game I have played for 20 years and have watched for far longer, I'd love to hear your advice, oh sage one.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
I sure hope the habs stay away from a guy like Richard, he takes way to much room in a locker room. I would say the same about Eric Staal, another alpha plus he would cost the moon.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005

That sounds like a problem they can look at solving in 3-4 years....not now. It makes no sense for them to trade OEL right now

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Would the Bruins trade Chara for Emelin, a 1st, and something else ? Chara can make better passes and is better on the PK. Emelin would be a Bruins type of player. Bruins rebuild, they need to trade Chara anyway.

:huh:

Chara for Emelin, a 1st and something else??

Have you seen him playing lately? He's finished. And his contract is horrible. 7M for the next 3 years.

I wouldn't trade Emelin for Chara straight up.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Chara ain't getting traded here, not with Patches around.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
:huh:

Chara for Emelin, a 1st and something else??

Have you seen him playing lately? He's finished. And his contract is horrible. 7M for the next 3 years.

I wouldn't trade Emelin for Chara straight up.

Yup, we would get stuck with that horrible contract. No way

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So, two cap dumps, a young player with little upside and a 1st. Why the hell would CAR take that?

And anyways, acquiring E. Staal would be a mistake, IMO. That 100 points season was 10 years ago, FFS. Look at his recent trend, too. He went from 75, to 60, to just 54 points last year.

Seems like you answered your own question...

On main board, at least some canes fans were warm to a similar proposal.

For Habs, replacing DD with a clear upgrade for top-9 C is, or should be a priority this season. Would greatly enhance our post season odds. We're looking like a team primed for an aggressive "put us over the top" trade/rental move.

Sliding staal into first line & pleks to 3rd pushed our fwd lines from good to great, imo.

Clearing out 6-8M$ in cap makes re-signing him at least feasible.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

my god no. He is finished...and has 3 year left at 7 million. better to leave the bruins hooked to that anchor.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Sliding staal into first line & pleks to 3rd pushed our fwd lines from good to great, imo.

Clearing out 6-8M$ in cap makes re-signing him at least feasible.

So... we get Staal, who's now a 50-55 points center, and our top 9 goes from good to great?

I don't get the reasoning here. Staal isn't a 70 pts. player anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad