Trade Proposal Thread - Proposing to Somebody Other Than Kessel Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Oh I am not saying that our top 6 isn't a problem.

But in the good words of the movie moneyball "it is a process".

MB knows what the needs for the teams are. He will address our top 6 via FA or trade I am sure of it.

Unless MB unloads a few big contracts, I can't see him getting a top-6 player this year while he still has to sign Galchenyuk with about 5M$ left

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Don't think so. Lots of teams right against the cap that must make moves to even field a team. And many others need to clear space to improve.

Very lucky year for the bottom dwellers that can spend, both in the draft and with trades and UFAs.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
The obvious caveat is we really don't know for sure how the coaching and development principles invoked by the team have affected the team as we see it now, but we can certainly speculate based on what our eyes and ears are telling us.

One should listen to the coach's rant about only dumping the puck and not making fancy passes and remember how coaching and development from the AHL is modeled after the big team.

Is it really a surprise that many young players with high offensive potential are falling short? And that many veterans as well aren't achieving their offensive top end?

When you coach the offensive talent out of players by insisting they play a game antithetical to their inherent skills, it results in what we're seeing now. Very poor offensive statistics and possession numbers. The inherently pathological failure of the PP demonstrates quite clearly the failure of the system, offensively.

The playoffs also showed us quite clearly that for a top tier team in the RS standings, our inability to score goals when necessary was ultimately our downfall.

No doubt that's not helping the situation, I hate the system we play it's boring and unproductive, but to use that as the only reason Galchenyuk has shown no desire serves more to prove my point than to deny it. He's had plenty of chances with the puck on his stick to make a play, and yet he doesn't. He's had plenty of opportunity to show some heart and make something, anything, happen when it matters and yet he doesn't. He's completely invisible and that is the fault of the system? Not buying it.

The fact is great players won't be held down because of circumstance, it's just that he's not a great player, he'll be a decent player and that's his upside. In the 3 years I've watched him play he's had a handful or 2 'great' plays, and I use the quotations because that's stretching the word great just a bit. He's held in an unfairly high regard around here because he wears the CH. If he played somewhere else he wouldn't have near the same reverence.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Galchenyuk, Emelin for Draisatl, 16th, 33rd is approximately fair value.

I think we'd need to add.

Galchenyuk for Draisaitl+

Sure.

Emelin squeezing a mid 1st(or early 2nd depending on what you see as a the plus above) would be a miracle.

I doubt Edmonton bothers with this deal. They can wait for Leon and keep a mid 1st and an early 2nd.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Don't think so. Lots of teams right against the cap that must make moves to even field a team. And many others need to clear space to improve.

Very lucky year for the bottom dwellers that can spend, both in the draft and with trades and UFAs.

That's all it will be. Teams trying to exchange the PAPs of their team and the like.

Add in the goalie market as well.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Same crap ass top 6. Going nowhere with that offence

He'll move a contract, a second tier prospect and a pick for a decent winger to a cap hell team. I figure Chicago, so Sharp seems likely. I believe at least one of Hudon, Scherbak or McCarron will be with the team next season.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
If MB can unload one or many of DD, PAP and Emelin while acquiring something of value(picks, prospects, cap friendly contracts) then I feel it would be a great start to a successful off season.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
No doubt that's not helping the situation, I hate the system we play it's boring and unproductive, but to use that as the only reason Galchenyuk has shown no desire serves more to prove my point than to deny it. He's had plenty of chances with the puck on his stick to make a play, and yet he doesn't. He's had plenty of opportunity to show some heart and make something, anything, happen when it matters and yet he doesn't. He's completely invisible and that is the fault of the system? Not buying it.

The fact is great players won't be held down because of circumstance, it's just that he's not a great player, he'll be a decent player and that's his upside. In the 3 years I've watched him play he's had a handful or 2 'great' plays, and I use the quotations because that's stretching the word great just a bit. He's held in an unfairly high regard around here because he wears the CH. If he played somewhere else he wouldn't have near the same reverence.

We'll I'd answer that by asking you seriously why was his rookie year more redolent with confidence and skill?

Did he drop off a cliff? Or was he instructed to stop making successful and beautiful plays that are inconceivable and incomprehensible to former thug players like Bergevin and Therrien.

In an environment where individual skill is eschewed and discouraged, it should be of little surprise that our most latently talented offensive player had difficulty playing at his best while wearing a ball gag and handcuffs.

Edit: Hope for his sake a bhuttphlug wasn't another compulsory component of his uniform(ity)

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
How bout worrying about the top 6. The D is as good as it been in years and the offence is horrendous. Lowest scoring team to qualify for playoffs. We win with Price and Price alone. He couldn't save their ***** against TBay so they lost. How bout Bergevin improves this team offence for once.

How about he uses his surplus defensemen to do that? There isn't enough room for them all in terms of both cap and minutes of play.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Galchenyuk, Emelin for Draisatl, 16th, 33rd is approximately fair value.

As an Oiler fan I wouldn't even consider this. Sure Galchenyuk is more proven at the NHL level but after Draisait's great junior season and memorial cup mvp his value is pretty high right now. He's a bigger center that Edmonton has been lacking for a long time so it might take an overpayment for Chiarelli to consider dealing him. Oilers may have to add a small piece to Draisaitl to acquire Galchenyuk but definitely not a 1st or even 2nd rounder. Straight up Drai for Gally and the Oilers may consider it.

That would leave Emelin for a mid first and very early second. No explanation needed here, we both know that will never happen. I don't even think I'd do Emelin straight up for 33rd to be honest.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
As an Oiler fan I wouldn't even consider this. Sure Galchenyuk is more proven at the NHL level but after Draisait's great junior season and memorial cup mvp his value is pretty high right now. He's a bigger center that Edmonton has been lacking for a long time so it might take an overpayment for Chiarelli to consider dealing him. Oilers may have to add a small piece to Draisaitl to acquire Galchenyuk but definitely not a 1st or even 2nd rounder. Straight up Drai for Gally and the Oilers may consider it.

That would leave Emelin for a mid first and very early second. No explanation needed here, we both know that will never happen. I don't even think I'd do Emelin straight up for 33rd to be honest.

I agree with you except for one thing. If you can't add a measly second round pick to Draisaitl for Galchenyuk there's a problem.

After that though, the deal seems one sided.

If Oilers have interest in Emelin a deal can be worked out and no it doesn't need to be 33rd overall.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Draisatl's great junior season is actually weaker than what Galchenyuk saw in junior after his draft year, during the 2012 lockout.

They're the same size btw, so "big" is not part of the debate.

Emelin would possibly be the second or third best dman on the Oilers. Edmonton allows more goals than all other NHL teams, so they need better D.

Galchenyuk will likely have a better prime than Draisatl, and sooner. Edmonton improves with that trade.

The point of the trade for Montreal is that the coach would rather play his son (Desharnais), so trading for Draisatl buys DD another two years. Montreal also does not need Emelin.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I agree with you except for one thing. If you can't add a measly second round pick to Draisaitl for Galchenyuk there's a problem.

After that though, the deal seems one sided.

If Oilers have interest in Emelin a deal can be worked out and no it doesn't need to be 33rd overall.

Yeah I'd consider giving back Montreal's 2nd along with Draisaitl for Galchenyuk but definitely not the 33rd pick.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Draisatl's great junior season is actually weaker than what Galchenyuk saw in junior after his draft year, during the 2012 lockout.

They're the same size btw, so "big" is not part of the debate.

Emelin would possibly be the second or third best dman on the Oilers. Edmonton allows more goals than all other NHL teams, so they need better D.

Galchenyuk will likely have a better prime than Draisatl, and sooner. Edmonton improves with that trade.

The point of the trade for Montreal is that the coach would rather play his son (Desharnais), so trading for Draisatl buys DD another two years. Montreal also does not need Emelin.

I agree that Emelin would probably be top 4 in Edmonton but that's the problem with the Oilers, the fact that Emelin would be one of their better dmen and it's something that desperately needs to be fixed.

They've had the worst defence in the league for the past few years and Emelin definitely wouldn't be a game changer for them or really make much of a difference at all with their place in the standings. He's not worth a first round pick and imo not worth the 33rd overall either. These picks can be used to return a much better dman than Emelin. And even though the Oilers are not up against the cap, I would not want to absorb that contract.

As for Galchenyuk I really like the kid and want to see him succeed, but like any young player his valued much more by his own team and fanbase as opposed to the rest of the league. Same as Yakupov in Edmonton. This is why I understand you guys asking for an overpayment for Galchenyuk much like I'd want an overpayment for Draisaitl. We have a lot of faith that Draisaitl will reach his potential and become just as good or better than Galchenyuk in their primes even though you might think otherwise.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
We'll I'd answer that by asking you seriously why was his rookie year more redolent with confidence and skill?

Did he drop off a cliff? Or was he instructed to stop making successful and beautiful plays that are inconceivable and incomprehensible to former thug players like Bergevin and Therrien.

In an environment where individual skill is eschewed and discouraged, it should be of little surprise that our most latently talented offensive player had difficulty playing at his best while wearing a ball gag and handcuffs.

Edit: Hope for his sake a bhuttphlug wasn't another compulsory component of his uniform(ity)

Well maybe his rookie year was more impressive to you than me but I certainly am not about to label the guy an untouchable because of a decent rookie year. It's not like he was lighting the league up with magnificent stick handling and otherworldly hockey IQ, he scored mostly off one timers from the circle and good shooting off the rush. Now thats not a bad thing but it's something I expect from any NHL forward that can play a top 6 role, nothing spectacular about it.

I hate that I'm typing out all this negative, I'm not saying he's a terrible hockey player at all, I'm just on the side that thinks if MB can move him for a good return and DEFINITELY for a top 5 pick this year you do it, although there's no team with a pick that high that takes that deal. I don't like that he's labelled an untouchable around here like he's destined for superstardom, he's not. He wouldn't be a superstar under any coach in this league, maybe more productive, but the lack in his desire and will to dominate are on him, not da system.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The fact is great players won't be held down because of circumstance,

Where do people find these trash slogans? Motivational posters?

Of course circumstance and environment matter.

LeClaire was mediocre in Montreal, went on to 50 goal seasons in Philadelphia. Ribeiro was mediocre in Montreal and became an 80 point player in Dallas. McDonagh was busting in Montreal and became a top-30 dman in New York.

Conversely, Desharnais has been given 50 point seasons in Montreal, whereas no other NHL team has ever wanted him.

Elsewhere in the league, Seguin was a second liner in Boston and became an elite 1st liner in Dallas. James Neal scores 30 goals in Pittsburgh and 20 goals in Nashville. Rick Nash scores 30 goals in Columbus and 40 goals in New York.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad