Trade Proposal Thread - Proposing to Somebody Other Than Kessel Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsDieHard*

only player it would make any sense for the habs trade Galch for at this point would be Draisatl...

and then only if Oilers valued Galch (or a Galch/Yak reunion) enough to add a pick (3rd or next year 2nd).

Doesn't really make any sense for the Oilers to trade for Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuks' potential value down the road is greater than what any team would give up for him.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Whatever number Galchenyuk comes in at, he's going to bring them pretty close to the cap.

They currently are spending 28.71 on their defence, which includes 7 guys but not Tinordi who is unsigned.

They also desperately need to improve their forward depth.

My guess is Gilbert gets dealt....but my wildcard is a team giving up a late 1st and a prospect for Plekanec.

And how does that make us better next year? Losing pleks for a pick? Is bergevin gonna use the transition year excuse? That's all that guy does is make god damn excuses. Tbay finishes 3rd last 2 years ago and made the cup. Instead of improving our top 6 bergevin acquires crap ass 4th liners.

HabsDieHard*

I think Bergevin realizes that his leash from public criticism will not last forever and that if he moved out some veterans to give younger guys more of a chance to be impact guys it could help the team enough to offset the short term loss.

Plus they could perhaps trade Plekx and sign another similar guy.

A guy like Soderberg could work real well as a winger/center option with some size for the next few years.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Any good rumours out there today?

I feel like the Habs are definitely going to make at least one trade before July 1st.

My money is on Emelin being shipped out at the draft for a 2nd rounder, but this is just me speculating.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I think Bergevin realizes that his leash from public criticism will not last forever and that if he moved out some veterans to give younger guys more of a chance to be impact guys it could help the team enough to offset the short term loss.

Plus they could perhaps trade Plekx and sign another similar guy.

A guy like Soderberg could work real well as a winger/center option with some size for the next few years.

Bergevin once said he does not listen to fans for emotional counsel. No clue what that means. The guy is ultra conservative. Safe trades only. He knows with price he will make playoffs therefor he will never give up anything of value to get a legit scorer. He's mr draft and develope. His trades and UFA signings for scoring have been putrid. PAP and weise on 2nd line next year. Book it

HabsDieHard*

My money is on Emelin being shipped out at the draft for a 2nd rounder, but this is just me speculating.

Trading Emelin leaves them potentially very weak on the left side.

Maybe Markov-Beaulieu-Tinordi does well...but also very possible it doesn't and it is an absolute certainty that it will result in too many taxing minutes on Markov, who needs to have his minutes managed better already.

Plus Emelin has a full NTC until July 1st, 2016...which Bergevin gave him.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Bergevin once said he does not listen to fans for emotional counsel. No clue what that means. The guy is ultra conservative. Safe trades only. He knows with price he will make playoffs therefor he will never give up anything of value to get a legit scorer. He's mr draft and develope. His trades and UFA signings for scoring have been putrid. PAP and weise on 2nd line next year. Book it

Disagree.

He saw that we had a need for a 2nd pairing RHD. What did he do ? Went to go get Petry.

Also wasn't afraid of shipping our Gorges.

He is a smart GM. How well did Holmgren do as a GM with all his wild moves ? He is out of a job because of it.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
What's the point?

This is why I self-loath this fan base sometimes. Whenever the habs finally get a nice piece, everybody lumps on the "trade" train at the first sign of adversity with the player.

"Price wasn't Patrick Roy this season and Halak had a good playoff run... lets trade Price and put him in every trade proposal!"

"Subban negotiations aren't going so well... lets trade him! Time to put Subban in all our trade offers!"

"Pacioretty is struggling early on in the season... lets trade him for Evander Kane!"

Same thing is happening with Galchenyuk. Every single one of our elite players gets the same early career treatment through the growing pains. I swear some people on here believe players should come out of their draft and enter the league immediately in their primes. It's like people don't understand that there is a learning curve and a progression towards achieving potential, it just doesn't happen within 2-3 years after their draft year. :facepalm:

Ehhhh, while I agree with the sentiments of our over-reacting fan base I actually disagree with this one. I was never in favour of trading Price, Patches or Subban but if Galchenyuk could fetch a pick in the top 5 this year I'd pull the trigger without hesitation.

I just don't see the compete level with the guy, the desire or whatever you wanna call it. I haven't seen him show the will to rise above adversity, he seems way to content to be a passenger for me. He's invisible for huge stretches of time when the game tightens up, and yes I know he's young but that part of a person doesn't develop, either you have it or you don't. I hope that he develops into a #1 center but it's far from a lock IMO. When you look around the league at the development of #1 centres, the top tier guys didn't need 3+ years to show their ability.

Backstrom, Giroux, Seguin, Spezza, Kopitar, Toews, Couture, RNH, MacKinnon, Stall and others all had much quicker learning curves and even the newer group Tyler Johnson, Monahan, Toffoli, Strome, Forsberg has shown more progression than Chucky, and that's leaving out the obvious, Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Stamkos tier guys. Galchenyuk is developing more in the Turris, Stepan level of player and while that's a nice player to have I can't understand how someone in the range of pick 3-4 this year doesn't reach at east that level. Also I'm not ready to blame all of this on Therrien, a top tier player progresses no matter the obstacles, just look at Johnson.

While it's true that we often look to run our stars out of town this fan base is also hugely guilty of overrating anyone in our system (not named DD). I would be ready to put money on a bet that either Marner or Strome (or a few others) become better players that AG and for that reason I pull the trigger if such a deal existed.

HabsDieHard*

There is zero guarantee a player picked after #2 this year will be an impact top 6 forward before Prices' contract is up.

If Galchenyuk was to be traded it would only make sense to trade him for an older player.

I would love to have Turris or Stepan on the Habs, both of them if they had been in Desharnais' spot on the team this Spring would have been difference makers I think. If Galchenyuk can be a player like that I'd be more than happy with him and his 3rd overall status.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Disagree.

He saw that we had a need for a 2nd pairing RHD. What did he do ? Went to go get Petry.

Also wasn't afraid of shipping our Gorges.

He is a smart GM. How well did Holmgren do as a GM with all his wild moves ? He is out of a job because of it.

You're ok with PAP and weise on the 2nd line? I'm not. Although petry was a nice pickup , he was still on the team that lost to Tampa. With this offence we have zero chance of going anywhere. Like Einstein said , insanity is defined by doing the same thing over again and expecting different results. With this top 6 it would be insane to think the habs can win. Pkeks and DD will both disappear. After that bergevin will claim it was another transition year.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
You're ok with PAP and weise on the 2nd line? I'm not. Although petry was a nice pickup , he was still on the team that lost to Tampa. With this offence we have zero chance of going anywhere. Like Einstein said , insanity is defined by doing the same thing over again and expecting different results. With this top 6 it would be insane to think the habs can win. Pkeks and DD will both disappear. After that bergevin will claim it was another transition year.

Oh I am not saying that our top 6 isn't a problem.

But in the good words of the movie moneyball "it is a process".

MB knows what the needs for the teams are. He will address our top 6 via FA or trade I am sure of it.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Oh I am not saying that our top 6 isn't a problem.

But in the good words of the movie moneyball "it is a process".

MB knows what the needs for the teams are. He will address our top 6 via FA or trade I am sure of it.

So in the next 10 days or so? I'll put a small bet on that

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
There is zero guarantee a player picked after #2 this year will be an impact top 6 forward before Prices' contract is up.

If Galchenyuk was to be traded it would only make sense to trade him for an older player.

I would love to have Turris or Stepan on the Habs, both of them if they had been in Desharnais' spot on the team this Spring would have been difference makers I think. If Galchenyuk can be a player like that I'd be more than happy with him and his 3rd overall status.

Yeah that is true, I was speaking more in terms of straight asset management. If Galchenyuk could be traded for a guy more in his prime ready to contribute right away at a #1C spot then sign me up, but I'd take the 3 overall trade if that wasn't available.

Neither Turris or Stepan were gonna be able to put us over the top. Maybe we beat Tampa but no way we beat Chicago if we had either one, and that's the whole goal. We're straight up gonna need more talent and Chucky as trade bait to do it is fine by me.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Yep.

There are to many name available for MB to just sit on his hands.

Can't see it man. He would have to give something valuable up and in 3 years I think the most valuable thing he's given up is a 2nd round pick or gorges. Debatable which is worth more. I say lineup is set

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Can't see it man. He would have to give something valuable up and in 3 years I think the most valuable thing he's given up is a 2nd round pick or gorges. Debatable which is worth more. I say lineup is set

How do you explain him making sure that out bottom 6 was deep enough and the same thing for our D.

He is reported to always be one of the most active GM's.

The reason that there are no rumours is that the Habs keep a pretty air tight org when it comes to those things.

You are be assured that he will kick tires on guys. Does it progress to the point where we get a top 6 F ? I can't say.

But I know he will be trying.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
How do you explain him making sure that out bottom 6 was deep enough and the same thing for our D.

The reason that there are no rumours is that the Habs keep a pretty air tight org when it comes to those things.

You are be assured that he will kick tires on guys. Does it progress to the point where we get a top 6 F ? I can't say.

Perhaps so, but he makes the bulk of his trades late in the season, when some teams are desperate to get rid of impending FAs who plan to test the market, but when there is still time for the Bell Center, a world class goalie and Montreal's charm to work their magic and sink the hook into the player traded for. This time of year, there is a lot less of that desperation in my opinion, therefore fewer opportunities for lop-sided trades... until late in the summer when some teams have to squeeze under the cap.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

Trying isn't good enough anymore. He always addresses the bottom 6 since day 1. He tried With vanek but vanek stunk. He tried with briere and briere was not very good the flipped him for the even worse PAP. His moves to address offence are weak. Extremely weak. Have little faith in his ability to address our Scoring woes

Nynja*

I bet you were doing cartwheels when he traded for Vanek. You ran to a sports experts and bought a vanek shirt and threw it on so fast you got shirtburn.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I bet you were doing cartwheels when he traded for Vanek. You ran to a sports experts and bought a vanek shirt and threw it on so fast you got shirtburn.

Stop assuming things. You're sarcasm stinks. Im sure you bought smith -pelly maybe even a Flynn. That's what bergevin is good for

Nynja*

Vanek was doing just fine until MT decided he was a fourth liner, either due to injury to MT just being an idiot.

And my sarcasm is wonderful, it smells like vanilla

HabsDieHard*

Vanek was doing just fine until MT decided he was a fourth liner, either due to injury to MT just being an idiot.

And my sarcasm is wonderful, it smells like vanilla

The Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek line was never really playing well to be honest, just had a relaly high shooting percentage for a while.

It was hilarious watching Therrien bumble around with Vanek.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Ehhhh, while I agree with the sentiments of our over-reacting fan base I actually disagree with this one. I was never in favour of trading Price, Patches or Subban but if Galchenyuk could fetch a pick in the top 5 this year I'd pull the trigger without hesitation.

I just don't see the compete level with the guy, the desire or whatever you wanna call it. I haven't seen him show the will to rise above adversity, he seems way to content to be a passenger for me. He's invisible for huge stretches of time when the game tightens up, and yes I know he's young but that part of a person doesn't develop, either you have it or you don't. I hope that he develops into a #1 center but it's far from a lock IMO. When you look around the league at the development of #1 centres, the top tier guys didn't need 3+ years to show their ability.

Backstrom, Giroux, Seguin, Spezza, Kopitar, Toews, Couture, RNH, MacKinnon, Stall and others all had much quicker learning curves and even the newer group Tyler Johnson, Monahan, Toffoli, Strome, Forsberg has shown more progression than Chucky, and that's leaving out the obvious, Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Stamkos tier guys. Galchenyuk is developing more in the Turris, Stepan level of player and while that's a nice player to have I can't understand how someone in the range of pick 3-4 this year doesn't reach at east that level. Also I'm not ready to blame all of this on Therrien, a top tier player progresses no matter the obstacles, just look at Johnson.

While it's true that we often look to run our stars out of town this fan base is also hugely guilty of overrating anyone in our system (not named DD). I would be ready to put money on a bet that either Marner or Strome (or a few others) become better players that AG and for that reason I pull the trigger if such a deal existed.

The obvious caveat is we really don't know for sure how the coaching and development principles invoked by the team have affected the team as we see it now, but we can certainly speculate based on what our eyes and ears are telling us.

One should listen to the coach's rant about only dumping the puck and not making fancy passes and remember how coaching and development from the AHL is modeled after the big team.

Is it really a surprise that many young players with high offensive potential are falling short? And that many veterans as well aren't achieving their offensive top end?

When you coach the offensive talent out of players by insisting they play a game antithetical to their inherent skills, it results in what we're seeing now. Very poor offensive statistics and possession numbers. The inherently pathological failure of the PP demonstrates quite clearly the failure of the system, offensively.

The playoffs also showed us quite clearly that for a top tier team in the RS standings, our inability to score goals when necessary was ultimately our downfall.

Last edited:

Nynja*

The Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek line was never really playing well to be honest, just had a relaly high shooting percentage for a while.

It was hilarious watching Therrien bumble around with Vanek.

A line with two snipers will tend to have a high shooting percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad