Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With Brook in system and we likely to use our pick this year on d-man trade Petry for first round pick? Maybe another one for Drouin. Be tempting. Gives us 3 first round picks and frees up extra 11 million in caproom. If we believe good chance to sign a Duchene. Makes it even more enticing.

Could use what is left of caproom to acquire a 4th first round pick. By renting out capspace. On a Lucic or Neal. Gives uls 4 first round picks this year while adding Duchene, or another top free agent. Enticing?

Apeironic

Jan 10, 2019
With Brook in system and we likely to use our pick this year on d-man trade Petry for first round pick? Maybe another one for Drouin. Be tempting. Gives us 3 first round picks and frees up extra 11 million in caproom. If we believe good chance to sign a Duchene. Makes it even more enticing.

Could use what is left of caproom to acquire a 4th first round pick. By renting out capspace. On a Lucic or Neal. Gives uls 4 first round picks this year while adding Duchene, or another top free agent. Enticing?
I am equally greedy for picks this year. I think we will look back at this first round as pretty historic-- so much talent.

Petry's value is skyhigh, this is where we can truly commit to a window in 2-3 years.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What mistake? Take your own advice and go back to read those early season posts. I said for us to be your bubble team we need a bunch of career year and to remain generally healthy. So I was spot on. What I was wrong about was in not believing that would actually happen.

It's not likely to happen today or this off season but if the Pens drown some more in the next season, things can change. The point was waiting to see if the probability increased. Do I think it happens for sure? no. But you think I think it does. Not surprised.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So your plan is to hope the prospects develop out before the vets decline?

The only vet I am worrying about decline is Weber. I think he has two decent seasons left and then who knows. Price is going to be good for longer than most realize. I'm also not going to be desperate to make any moves.

We have no choice, we have to let our youth grow and improve (both on the current roster and our prospects). I think Price and Gallagher are the two vets to lead this team if Weber is gone after the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Reactions: Apeironic

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The only vet I am worrying about decline is Weber. I think he has two decent seasons left and then who knows. Price is going to be good for longer than most realize. I'm also not going to be desperate to make any moves.

We have no choice, we have to let our youth grow and improve (both on the current roster and our prospects). I think Price and Gallagher are the two vets to lead this team if Weber is gone after the next 2 or 3 seasons.
What a plan...

Actually you do have a choice. You can trade some of that youth for more ready guys, or you can trade your vets for more youngsters.
We dont have enough to be legit contenders...waiting on the sideline is just doing the same again.
It's not just declining vets, there will be new contracts needed, Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, Domi...some will ask for big raises.

Reactions: bsl

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What a plan...

Actually you do have a choice. You can trade some of that youth for more ready guys, or you can trade your vets for more youngsters.
We dont have enough to be legit contenders...waiting on the sideline is just doing the same again.
It's not just declining vets, there will be new contracts needed, Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, Domi...some will ask for big raises.

I am all for exploring options. Show me a deal you are thinking about and we can talk. But imagining we can flip some of our vets for the pieces we think we can get is not as easy as some think it is. We likely don't get top 10 or top 15 picks and what team is going to trade a grade A asset?

I think we have to wait out this 2 years and see how the youth performs. If they push for spots in the line-up, that's the time you move some of the vets. Don't think the time is now. Maybe by next deadline or the off season of 2020 is a better time. 12 months can change a lot and we have several guys turning pro... Brook, Suzuki, Poehling, Primeau. Lets see how they look in 12 months.

Apeironic

Jan 10, 2019

I think that ultimately we win when Weber becomes 2nd pairing. Who knows how that plays out-- but thinking otherwise is merely catering to the whim that this team will make a run from 7-8. If we're talking about a real franchise-- then we should wisen up to the fact that Weber needs to be superseded by a youngin'. Money on Brook.

Apeironic

Jan 10, 2019
I am all for exploring options. Show me a deal you are thinking about and we can talk. But imagining we can flip some of our vets for the pieces we think we can get is not as easy as some think it is. We likely don't get top 10 or top 15 picks and what team is going to trade a grade A asset?

I think we have to wait out this 2 years and see how the youth performs. If they push for spots in the line-up, that's the time you move some of the vets. Don't think the time is now. Maybe by next deadline or the off season of 2020 is a better time. 12 months can change a lot and we have several guys turning pro... Brook, Suzuki, Poehling, Primeau. Lets see how they look in 12 months.
Here I agree, but not with regard to Petry or Byron. There is so much depth, and the youngin's are rising. The point is to extract value when one can-- this is that time. We miss the playoffs again next year; I hope so. Ultimately, we are in need of another mediocre season to cement the playtime of our youth, and to offer us more prospects. This means parting ways with at least one veteran. I'm hoping it's any kind of combination of Petry or Byron with assests for a 1st in the 10-20 range.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think that ultimately we win when Weber becomes 2nd pairing. Who knows how that plays out-- but thinking otherwise is merely catering to the whim that this team will make a run from 7-8. If we're talking about a real franchise-- then we should wisen up to the fact that Weber needs to be superseded by a youngin'. Money on Brook.

IF we can sign Karlsson, I’d move Petry for a 1st, high end prospect or LD help and move Weber down to second pairing. Karlsson goes PP1 and Weber PP2 and Weber PK1. That’s 22-25 min each of easier minutes each and we’ll balanced D.

Apeironic

Jan 10, 2019
IF we can sign Karlsson, I’d move Petry for a 1st, high end prospect or LD help and move Weber down to second pairing. Karlsson goes PP1 and Weber PP2 and Weber PK1. That’s 22-25 min each of easier minutes each and we’ll balanced D.
Not insane, but highly unlikely. Also think that Karlsson will start dropping off rather soon. Looks dismal in Sj right now; particularly on the defensive end.

I really think that the idea of Karlsson is the idea of suring up the team for the 'eternal dream' of a bubble run-- once again. I just wanna be bad. Is that so much to ask for?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Our D could look like this in a few years (See below)... But lets face it. Weber is not with us past 4 seasons. Could be 2, 3, or 4. In 4 years, Romanov is 22/23, Brook is 23, Juulsen is 25, and Mete is 24. I don't see Weber playing past the age of 37 when he salary drops to $1M. Not sure Petry is still around after 2 more years.

Romanov / Brook
Mete / Weber
Kulak / Juulsen

Fleury

Reactions: Apeironic

Apeironic

Jan 10, 2019
Our D could look like this in a few years (See below)... But lets face it. Weber is not with us past 4 seasons. Could be 2, 3, or 4. In 4 years, Romanov is 22/23, Brook is 23, Juulsen is 25, and Mete is 24. I don't see Weber playing past the age of 37 when he salary drops to $1M. Not sure Petry is still around after 2 more years.

Romanov / Brook
Mete / Weber
Kulak / Juulsen

Fleury
This is legitimately the exact picture I have of the future with an optimistic outcome. The point as your illustration so clearly signals, is that this team has for once come into defensive depth. If we consider the prospect of two more defenseman in this draft, as well as a future of FA possibilities, we should really consider viewing Weber as a HUGE complimentary piece down the road. Petry is valuable and expendable.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Not insane, but highly unlikely. Also think that Karlsson will start dropping off rather soon. Looks dismal in Sj right now; particularly on the defensive end.

I really think that the idea of Karlsson is the idea of suring up the team for the 'eternal dream' of a bubble run-- once again. I just wanna be bad. Is that so much to ask for?

He looks less lost and more like he hasn’t found a place on that team. He was always the man in Ott and now he’s part of a system that he’s never played. He didn’t look comfortable out there at all and no confidence to so what he does.

Once he settled into a team as the no. 1, I’m sure he’ll be right back to his Norris self.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You won't get both a high end prospect and a 1st for Petry. It's very rare to get both a grade A prospect and a 1st. This is the problem with some wanting to move Petry... I think the return will be solid but were not getting a slam dunk return.

If Karlsson signs, move Petry to the left side. He can handle it IMO. This would be our best D we had in many years! Let Brook and Romanov force their way on the team in the next few seasons. Trade Petry only when we have a legit option to replace his top 4 depth value.

Petry / Karlsson
Mete / Weber
Kulak / Juulsen

Benn

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is legitimately the exact picture I have of the future with an optimistic outcome. The point as your illustration so clearly signals, is that this team has for once come into defensive depth. If we consider the prospect of two more defenseman in this draft, as well as a future of FA possibilities, we should really consider viewing Weber as a HUGE complimentary piece down the road. Petry is valuable and expendable.

The perfect time to move Petry is next deadline (if we have a set back) or at the 2020 draft. We need to see how good Brook is with the pro game first IMO. We will know a lot more in 12 months

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You won't get both a high end prospect and a 1st for Petry. It's very rare to get both a grade A prospect and a 1st. This is the problem with some wanting to move Petry... I think the return will be solid but were not getting a slam dunk return.

If Karlsson signs, move Petry to the left side. He can handle it IMO. This would be our best D we had in many years! Let Brook and Romanov force their way on the team in the next few seasons. Trade Petry only when we have a legit option to replace his top 4 depth value.

Petry / Karlsson
Mete / Weber
Kulak / Juulsen

Benn

It could’ve been more clearly written but I meant a 1st or a high end prospect or help on the LD.

I agree we won’t get both a 1st and high end prospect but should get a bit more then just either. For example a 1st and a player/prospect or a high end prospect plus something extra or a swap Petry like LD for Petry.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It could’ve been more clearly written but I meant a 1st or a high end prospect or help on the LD.

I agree we won’t get both a 1st and high end prospect but should get a bit more then just either. For example a 1st and a player/prospect or a high end prospect plus something extra or a swap Petry like LD for Petry.

I'm game for trading Petry but my plan is to wait to see how good Brook is once he turns pro next year. However, if some team wants to give me pry away value at this next draft, I'm certainly listening. Just would not be my focus to move him just cause. Let other teams call us and make offers. Lets not be desperate to trade our top 4D quality cause we think our prospects will turn into what we want them to for sure.

I'd most certainly try Petry on the left side if Karlsson signs. Petry has matured into a trusted D man and I think he can handle it well. Habs management would also have a much better idea on this as well and would do their homework before making a move (or two).

The issue with Karlsson to me is I think we only have $8M in save space to add without giving us major cap problems in a few years if our youth turns into impact players. So, something would have to give at some point and that fork in the road is the 2021 off season

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010

Petry / Karlsson
Mete / Weber
Kulak / Juulsen

Benn

Petry Can’t play LD. When Webber was traded, Petry moved to LD during some practices...didn't work at all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry Can’t play LD. When Webber was traded, Petry moved to LD during some practices...didn't work at all.

Petry is not the same D man he was 3+ years ago. That is clear. He is a late bloomer and has matured into who he is today. Habs would have a very good idea if he can handle it or not and would talk to him about it.

My point? Never say never and we need to explore options. Other options is signing both Karlsson (7 years) and Edler (2 or 3 years) and trading Petry for a solid futures package is something I would be down with.

Edler / Karlsson
Mete / Weber
Kulak / Juulsen

Benn, Folin

What happens when Brook is ready to take on a top 4D role? Trade Weber? lol

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Lets say we have Yakupov, that means you wouldnt do Yak+15 vs4 because Yak was a 1st?
False analogy. Drouin has done more in the NHL than Yakupov and that's coming from someone who does not want JD on the team. But just because I don't like him as a hockey player I'm not going to go out and imitate Rejean Houle and make terrible trades.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Oh great, back to “let's wait and see” rhetoric...that's worked so well for us.

Reactions: bsl

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh great, back to “let's wait and see” rhetoric...that's worked so well for us.

Great. You are back to spitting out knee jerk reactions where you end up wrong. Like "We will for sure be picking in the bottom 5 again this year". When I tried to talk and show you my thoughts and how we would not be in the bottom 5, you came back with this style approach like your post reply above.

When you going to learn? Waste of time trying to have a conversation with you. You should of learned a while ago that digging your foot in the sand and not being flexible in your plan as time moves forward likely turns into how you look today with your dooms day predictions to start the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad