Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
@Mrb1p

Would two 2nd round picks get you Leddy if you think one 1st (15th OA +/-) is too much? He is having a rough season and has by far the worse +/- on the team for D man. A team that is best in the league at allowing goals. Is this a off year or a sign of things to come for the 28 year old?

I think we need to study each teams needs in terms of LD in order to understand the trade market for Leddy. Maybe we are smarter to just try to sign Gardiner or Edler?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
@Mrb1p

Would two 2nd round picks get you Leddy if you think one 1st (15th OA +/-) is too much? He is having a rough season and has by far the worse +/- on the team for D man. A team that is best in the league at allowing goals. Is this a off year or a sign of things to come for the 28 year old?

I think we need to study each teams needs in terms of LD in order to understand the trade market for Leddy. Maybe we are smarter to just try to sign Gardiner or Edler?
These are all terrible options IMO.

There's no cheap/quick fix to the LD position. Either we go for a younger not-yet-established player or we develop one.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
@Mrb1p

Two second round picks got Andrew Shaw.

A 1st and 2 2nd round picks got Travis Hamonic, a 4D.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
@Mrb1p

If Edler is available he’s definitely the guy to go after. I’ve been living in Vancouver just over a year now and have been to multiple Canuks games. He is the real deal. Minute eating machine. 1st pairing Defenseman on any team. Problem is

1) He’s age.
2) He is somehow always injured.
3) He wants to stay in Vancouver.

But when he plays/Healthy he makes a big difference in the ice.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Other options beside Leddy (which I acknowledge is an option).

Cam Fowler - Has a longer contract and similar cap hit. Also provides similar offense and defense to Leddy.
Shayne Ghostisbehere - Is younger and has more term than Leddy. Also has a similar cap hit. Better offensively, arguably worse defensively. Assuming that Philly is still looking to re-tool of course.
Ivan Provorov - Is much younger and still has room for growth in his game. Again assuming that "everybody except Giroux is available". Which may have (probably has) changed now.
Jake Gardiner - Worse defensively, better offensively. Can be signed as UFA (as you have mentioned).
Alex Edler - I think he signs in Vancouver before July 1st, but also an option for now.

We have the same goal, just disagree on how to accomplish it. For what it's worth, I hope your positive thinking works and we win the Cup in the next few years. Hopefully more than 1. ;)

Reactions: Runner77

John B

Nov 19, 2016
@Mrb1p

A pair of second rounders or a second and a prospect (not one of our top 5 guys though) is something I would consider.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Other options beside Leddy (which I acknowledge is an option).

Cam Fowler - Has a longer contract and similar cap hit. Also provides similar offense and defense to Leddy.
Shayne Ghostisbehere - Is younger and has more term than Leddy. Also has a similar cap hit. Better offensively, arguably worse defensively. Assuming that Philly is still looking to re-tool of course.
Ivan Provorov - Is much younger and still has room for growth in his game. Again assuming that "everybody except Giroux is available". Which may have (probably has) changed now.
Jake Gardiner - Worse defensively, better offensively. Can be signed as UFA (as you have mentioned).
Alex Edler - I think he signs in Vancouver before July 1st, but also an option for now.

We have the same goal, just disagree on how to accomplish it. For what it's worth, I hope your positive thinking works and we win the Cup in the next few years. Hopefully more than 1. ;)

Why bother with these guys,they cost a lot and Romonov is, and or is close to them

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I mean, i'd sign Edler if he came cheap and under a 3 years, but other than that, I think it's just going to cost too much to try and fix the situation through the trade/ufa market.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’d offer Edler a 3X$6M deal, same dollar but 5 years to Gardner because he’s younger. We have the cap and rookies who need time to develop without any significant signings so why not? Worse comes to worst we can buy out Alzner, trade him or someone else etc. to raise cap if need be.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I’d offer Edler a 3X$6M deal, same dollar but 5 years to Gardner because he’s younger. We have the cap and rookies who need time to develop without any significant signings so why not? Worse comes to worst we can buy out Alzner, trade him or someone else etc. to raise cap if need be.
3X $4M to $4.5M (max) for Edler. Gardiner I won't deal for him.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Why bother with these guys,they cost a lot and Romonov is, and or is close to them

the kid hasn't played a single NHL game and he's close to these kids? cmon.

flyers would be Hella stupid to trade provorov. if flyers make him available, Bergevin needs to jump on him.

Reactions: Vachon23

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
@Mrb1p

No two 2nd round picks would not get you Leddy.
Neither would your 1st.

Isles are not in caphell or looking to trade a top 4 D for picks, who will contribute in 3-4 yrs. If Leddy is dealt, imo it will be for nhl talent that contributes now, not several yrs down the road.

Look to a team like LA,with a bunch of aging vets, needing to add picks & prospects.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No two 2nd round picks would not get you Leddy.
Neither would your 1st.

Isles are not in caphell or looking to trade a top 4 D for picks, who will contribute in 3-4 yrs.

Look to a team like LA,with a bunch of aging vets, needing to add picks & prospects.

Understandable. You can keep him cause it looks like you trying to get pry away value and at this stage, he is not worth pry away value

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean, i'd sign Edler if he came cheap and under a 3 years, but other than that, I think it's just going to cost too much to try and fix the situation through the trade/ufa market.

This likely ends up being reality. I do agree that the UFA/Trade market will be very difficult to fix our hole at LD.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don’t see Edler signing with an other team then Vancouver, but I really like him when he was in his prime. He was underrated

Jul 6, 2016
Ben Chiarot could be an interesting UFA option. 27 yo. 6"3 over 200 pounds. 20 points so far this season in Winn.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Judging by how ready Juulsen will be next year I wouldn't mind ending the year with Weber-Petry-Brook as our RD after an AHL stint
You mean depending on how Juulsen does and how Brook does in Laval, i wouldn't mind finishing the year with Weber, Juulsen, Brook and trade Petry at the deadline for Hopefully a good nearly close to NHL ready LHD prospect++ ( depending on the quality of the prospect).

No matter how good Petry is right now, he won't play at this level for so long and trading him at his Peak level still under contract for an other full year to fit this teams young core will be better going foward. Just like we did for Pacioretty ( don't forget, we were all happy with the return even thinking Tatar would be Mehh). Hopefully we do the same with Tatar at worst at the deadline of his UFA year!

people who don't agree with trading Petry for future will probably say we need to win now with price and weber OR also trade price and weber if we are going to trade Petry, But you need veterans with a young core and i feel like Weber, Price and Gallagher are TRUE pro players who leads by example and are perfect around young players!

Last edited:

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
You mean depending on how Juulsen does and how Brook does in Laval, i wouldn't mind finishing the year with Weber, Juulsen, Brook and trade Petry at the deadline for Hopefully a good nearly close to NHL ready LHD prospect++ ( depending on the quality of the prospect).

No matter how good Petry is right now, he won't play at this level for so long and trading him at his Peak level still under contract for an other full year to fit this teams young core will be better going foward. Just like with did for Pacioretty ( don't forget, we we're all happy with the return even thinking Tatar would be Mehh). Hopefully we do the same with Tatar at worst at the deadline of his UFA year!

Some who don't agree with trading Petry for future will probably say we need to win now with price and weber OR also trade price and weber if we are going to trade Petry, But you need veterans with a young core and i feel like Weber, Price and Gallagher are TRUE pro players who leads by example and are perfect around young players!
Yes misuse of words but this is bang on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad