Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I would try to acquire Derek Forbort LD 27 years old for paul byron. LA want to be quicker. Forbort is a top 4 LD. Younger than byron and pretty quick for his size . In the same time, i would try to acquire tyler toffoli. I think that his value is low right now but he is able to score and hes only 26, So would try. Byron and ikonen, 2pick for toffoli and forbort

There's nothing really wrong with your trade.....or anything really right about it. I think we're at a point where incremental improvements will not help. We need a top 6 forward preferably a left winger who can bring size, grit and jam and we need a top 4 left defence man. Toffoli is only a slight improvement on Byron when it comes to the offense. Defensively, Byron holds the cards.

MB needs two big additions this off season either through trade, UFA or promotion. I say promotion because there's the slight possibility that Poehling, Teasdale or even Suzuki can step up. The operative word is "slight".

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Actually if you were following the conversation you would know he is responding to me saying he is worth more then a second round pick

I was. Just trying to add a little levity to the proceedings, is all.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I wonder if we could get Andrej Sekera on the cheap. Edmonton needs to clear cap space, Have Nurse and Klefbom in front of him and you have to think they don't want to have his 5.5 on the 3rd pair. By all accounts he was pretty good for them coming back from injury. Only 2 years left which is a great stop gap to Romonov + potentially the 15 overall.

I think there is some very solid risk/reward to Sekara that won't put us in a long-term hole if it doesn't work out ala Jake Gardiner.

I don't think that the Oilers would necessarily pay to give up Sekera as a cap dump. But we could maybe work out a deal around Hudon/Reilly + 2nd or 3rd round pick + maybe a cap dump on our end ala Weise or Peca?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
There's nothing really wrong with your trade.....or anything really right about it. I think we're at a point where incremental improves will not help. We need a top 6 forward preferably a left winger who can bring size, grit and jam and we need a top 4 left defence man. Toffoli is only a slight improvement on Byron when it comes to the offense. Defensively, Byron holds the cards.

MB needs two big additions this off season either through trade, UFA or promotion. I say promotion because there's the slight possibility that Poehling, Teasdale or even Suzuki can step up. The operative word is "slight".
I think the trade is pretty bad for us tbh. Byron brings a lot to this team, enough with the minor tweaks, we need some gamebreaking talent.

Reactions: Habs Icing

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I wonder if we could get Andrej Sekera on the cheap. Edmonton needs to clear cap space, Have Nurse and Klefbom in front of him and you have to think they don't want to have his 5.5 on the 3rd pair. By all accounts he was pretty good for them coming back from injury. Only 2 years left which is a great stop gap to Romonov + potentially the 15 overall.

I think there is some very solid risk/reward to Sekara that won't put us in a long-term hole if it doesn't work out ala Jake Gardiner.

I don't think that the Oilers would necessarily pay to give up Sekera as a cap dump. But we could maybe work out a deal around Hudon/Reilly + 2nd or 3rd round pick + maybe a cap dump on our end ala Weise or Peca?
Tough to gauge Sekera's value. He seems injury prone and overpaid. I'd be disappointed if Bergevin gave up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him even if he were dumping a little cap like Weise or Peca in the process. However, I do believe that you are correct in assuming that the Oilers aren't going to pay to get clear that contract.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Trade down with the Avs. It works if the Avs' staff thinks Bowen Byrom is overated; yet needs a top pmd, which they find at 15. Then the Avs' coaching staff bets Drouin catches that joy virus their young guns have, a brand new shiny lethal weapon to their wild west arsenal.

:avsDrouin, 15OV
:habs4OV

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I don’t get why we want to trade Petry. Sure he has some flaws but he so much better defensively than Karlsson with a much better contract.
I think the thought process behind it is it's a pre-emptive strike. He's a free agent in a couple years (he'll be 33 by then), and if he isn't dealt now, it's unlikely he will be dealt at all. In a couple years, they will have to choose whether or not to resign him (there are certainly pros and cons to resigning a 33 year old depending on term and cap hit) or lose him for nothing. So I think it's more of a "let's get something for him while we can" as opposed to trading him because of his flaws. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Da Grinder

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Trade down with the Avs. It works if the Avs' staff thinks Bowen Byrom is overated; yet needs a top pmd, which they find at 15. Then the Avs' coaching staff bets Drouin catches that joy virus their young guns have, a brand new shiny lethal weapon to their wild west arsenal.

That's over-payment considering Drouin was a 3OV.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Would you trade our 15th pick to LA for their 25th and 33rd picks??

I would if Caufield and Newhook were already taken.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If the flames are feeling desperate to fix their goalie situation, and need cap flex to make it happen, perhaps we can leverage our space to pry Valimaki & Bennett from them by taking on Neal & Frolik...

Something like:

To Cgy
Byron(or Shaw), Hudon, Alzner (1M retained)
~7M

To Mtl
Valimaki, Bennett, Neal, Frolik
~13.5M

Flames free up 6-7M in cap space, while basically maintaining roster size... And arguably not giving up much in short term roster strength (considering valimaki not yet a regular, byron/shaw as replacing bennett, Alzner & neal both healthy scratch candidates & Frolik was about as useful as Hudon would have been in postseason).

For us... Valimaki could slot in to bottom pairing LD role as soon as next season, and has the talent to be much needed top 4 staple for years to come.

Bennett, imo, is exactly the type of player we need... Already a good, physical, third liner but with the untapped talent & skill to break out into a legit top line or top 6 offensive contributor (& one with all the intangibles & two way acumen that makes for great PO contributor).

Neal is an expensive weight... Is he Lucic bad & only going to further decline, or does this experience push him to change his off-season regiment & can he regain something resembling what earned him the big contract?
Swapping him for Alzner is a wash if Neal can give us top 9 NHL play, we just get an extra year ...

Frolik is an easy add, contract expires in 2020... And could prove useful as a trade asset come deadline (& possibly as an offensively skilled winger to play with JKO on the third line)

Drouin - Domi - Neal/Shaw
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Bennett - JKO - Frolik
Lekhonen - Poehling - Armia

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Valimaki - Juulsen
Frolin

Price
Lindgren

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013

Thats not a bad idea but not a fan of trading a piece in the top 6 for a prospect that might bust

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
If the flames are feeling desperate to fix their goalie situation, and need cap flex to make it happen, perhaps we can leverage our space to pry Valimaki & Bennett from them by taking on Neal & Frolik...

Something like:

To Cgy
Byron(or Shaw), Hudon, Alzner (1M retained)
~7M

To Mtl
Valimaki, Bennett, Neal, Frolik
~13.5M

Flames free up 6-7M in cap space, while basically maintaining roster size... And arguably not giving up much in short term roster strength (considering valimaki not yet a regular, byron/shaw as replacing bennett, Alzner & neal both healthy scratch candidates & Frolik was about as useful as Hudon would have been in postseason).

For us... Valimaki could slot in to bottom pairing LD role as soon as next season, and has the talent to be much needed top 4 staple for years to come.

Bennett, imo, is exactly the type of player we need... Already a good, physical, third liner but with the untapped talent & skill to break out into a legit top line or top 6 offensive contributor (& one with all the intangibles & two way acumen that makes for great PO contributor).

Neal is an expensive weight... Is he Lucic bad & only going to further decline, or does this experience push him to change his off-season regiment & can he regain something resembling what earned him the big contract?
Swapping him for Alzner is a wash if Neal can give us top 9 NHL play, we just get an extra year ...

Frolik is an easy add, contract expires in 2020... And could prove useful as a trade asset come deadline (& possibly as an offensively skilled winger to play with JKO on the third line)

Drouin - Domi - Neal/Shaw
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Bennett - JKO - Frolik
Lekhonen - Poehling - Armia

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Valimaki - Juulsen
Frolin

Price
Lindgren

Valimaki > Byron or Shaw
Neal Frolik Bennett > Alzner Hudon

Declined for Calgary

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

Not wanting to sound as an ass, but it would be trading up with the avs. As you are moving up in the draft.

Reactions: FF de Mars

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

The most I can see the Avs offering for Drouin is the 16th (?) overall, with maybe an extra little bit thrown in.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

If that worked and Podkolzin (sp?) dropped to fourth, I think we'd get over Drouin being gone pretty fast. Real Power Forward prospect with skill.

Reactions: FF de Mars
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad