Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
If they’re not fast tracking, why be so aggressive on UFAs this summer (assuming LeBrun is correct). Doing that smacks of a reset.
LeBron said it. Not Gorton or Hughes. Besides, they haven't really cleared space yet and they may not be able to. Plus, If they wanted a quick rebuild, why trade Toffoli only to spend more money and term on Toffoli 2.0?

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
f*** this team and organization then. Like I said a few years back, there are so much more to life than people getting paid millions to entertain when we should spent more time on self improvement and such.

I can say the same for the people who are OK with this strategy while also bashing MB every chance they get. People should be up in arms over this news.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
LeBron said it. Not Gorton or Hughes. Besides, they haven't really cleared space yet and they may not be able to. Plus, If they wanted a quick rebuild, why trade Toffoli only to spend more money and term on Toffoli 2.0?

They traded Toffoli because he doesn't fit the type of vet they want. They want speed.

Reactions: Runner77

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I think two years of drafting high while also getting extra 1st picks for depth at the minimum would be the plan. Going after UFAs NOW is exactly what MB did after drafting KK. This leads me to believe this is all business as usual for Molson while Gorton promised better results with the same plan. I am not liking this much, but we shall see. People are going to roast me with this assumption, but I don't care.

New york's rebuild went through Panarin.....without him and only his top pick, they wouldn't be where they are.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
New york's rebuild went through Panarin.....without him and only his top pick, they wouldn't be where they are.

They were able to attract an elite talent via UFA and have done well despite their recent picks not panning out. The same strategy here will turn out worse. We may get some decent talent's via UFA at best.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Why does everyone assume players in UFA mean Players for all UFA's? We're trading bodies and making draft choices, not exactly rocket science that that means we need vets to fill the gaps

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Oof. This is getting worse.

You realize the “we didn’t know what we were getting” is about his impact off-the-ice/the impact he's had on Boston sports lore in general, yes? Like, dude, the article itself states he came into his own as a player in Ottawa! :laugh: And you're still here saying he hadn't broken out/people didn't expect him to be this good.

The only thing that you're right about is that everyone was fine with Redden becoming the guy. He was seen as just as good as Chara. Nobody expected him to fall off like he did.

Yeah I’m out to lunch. Chara wasn’t a PMD apparently. He just played 30 mins a game for the Bruins mindlessly throwing the puck off the boards like Gorges everytime.

The Sens got destroyed by the speedy Sabres in the 2006 playoffs and there was a belief that Chara, who was 29 years old at the time, wouldn’t be able to progress in the post-lockout NHL. You can talk all you want about Norris placement, but he was 2nd in a season when Bryan McCabe was 4th and Adrian Aucoin was 5th. No one ever thought they were franchise defencemen. It was all about goals, +/-, and playing in Canada. I mean Sheldon Souray of all players got votes.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Why does everyone assume players in UFA mean Players for all UFA's? We're trading bodies and making draft choices, not exactly rocket science that that means we need vets to fill the gaps

The way the rumours are worded makes it seem like it is more than just plugging holes. I hope to be wrong, but it is just my assumption at this point. I am not alone with thinking this as people are talking about signing Klingberg and Forsberg. I am fully aware I may be overreacting, BTW.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

LeBrun just happens to be one of the most reliable mainstream pundits. Might have been better if LeBron James had said it. ;)

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
This definitely isn't true. Toffoli may not skate fast but he plays fast which is what they want. Players that think the game well are just as important

He is slow, man. Whenever Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield were put together, it looked like they were skating in mud due to Toffoli. He's a good player, but let's not lie to ourselves now.

Reactions: Yoor

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They traded Toffoli because he doesn't fit the type of vet they want. They want speed.

And yet they can’t have speed from every player on their top 6. Toffoli sure checked off so many other boxes. I don’t know what to think about that but that was one way of landing a first rounder.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
And yet they can’t have speed from every player on their top 6. Toffoli sure checked off so many other boxes. I don’t know what to think about that but that was one way of landing a first rounder.

It was a sell high situation, I think. The guy is 30 and has played a lot of hockey. Imagine him losing a step? He's already a snail.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
They were able to attract an elite talent via UFA and have done well despite their recent picks not panning out. The same strategy here will turn out worse. We may get some decent talent's via UFA at best.

Pure speculation as we don't even know who we are talking about.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was a sell high situation, I think. The guy is 30 and has played a lot of hockey. Imagine him losing a step? He's already a snail.

I just think they saw a chance at adding an immediate extra first round pick. If you can get what you’re after in a cap-strapped market, you make the move now.

Reactions: Goalfield22

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Look a what Gorton did with the Rangers for the answer to that question.

From 2018-2020, they finished last or second last in the Metro while simultaneously making aggressive moves in the trade and FA markets. They traded for Trouba, Strome, and Fox, they signed Panarin and Shesterkin, and they doubled their quantity of 1st round picks. In hindsight, all very good moves - although the picks have yet to deliver returns.

To me this is the most obvious way to turn this team around. Let the young guys come out of their shells, beef up the pro scouting dept, and make the most of what will be a bunch of high picks over the next 2 years.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
An NBC hockey writer looks at the Habs’ 3 D on the market and predicts, FWIW:

“Chiarot goes to the Rangers for a first-round pick while another team (I am going to say Carolina or Minnesota) quietly sneaks under the radar, snags Kulak for far less, and gets a better player.”

He makes a point that we have seen played out a ton in HF and with more and more teams valuing and ascribing greater weight to advanced stats, this may be causing downward pressure on a hoped for return for Chiarot:

“Chiarot is not going to provide much in the way of offense, but plays a ton of minutes and is highly thought of around the league for his defensive play and toughness. The problem is there are very few defensive metrics that actually back up that assessment.”

NHL Trade Deadline: Teams will covet Chiarot, but should look elsewhere

Reactions: Goalfield22

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Look a what Gorton did with the Rangers for the answer to that question.

From 2018-2020, they finished last or second last in the Metro while simultaneously making aggressive moves in the trade and FA markets. They traded for Trouba, Strome, and Fox, they signed Panarin and Shesterkin, and they doubled their quantity of 1st round picks. In hindsight, all very good moves - although the picks have yet to deliver returns.

To me this is the most obvious way to turn this team around. Let the young guys come out of their shells, beef up the pro scouting dept, and make the most of what will be a bunch of high picks over the next 2 years.

It might be a way to turn the team around quickly, but is it a way to build long-term success? You need everything to go right for that to happen.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

“Chiarot goes to the Rangers for a first-round pick while another team (I am going to say Carolina or Minnesota) quietly sneaks under the radar, snags Kulak for far less, and gets a better player.”

He makes a point that we have seen played out a ton in HF and with more and more teams valuing and ascribing greater weight to advanced stats, this may be causing downward pressure on a hoped for return for Chiarot:

“Chiarot is not going to provide much in the way of offense, but plays a ton of minutes and is highly thought of around the league for his defensive play and toughness. The problem is there are very few defensive metrics that actually back up that assessment.”

This guy clearly didn't watch a Habs game in the past 2 years.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021

They really undervalue Chiarot's potential contribution to playoff hockey. If the spreadsheet nerds don't want Chiarot, a smart GM that understand playoff hockey is much different than the regular season will. There are players that help you get to the dance (Tatar) and those that help while on the dancefloor (Chiarot).

Also, Kulak better than Chiarot LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad