Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People talk full rebuild, yet w NYR Gorton did not force Lundqvist into trading him, and he extended Kreider vs dealing him for futures…

100% agree. I am both excited and nervous about the management change and how we do the rebuild. Yzerman is doing it right... even if it takes longer than expected.

The point of a rebuild is to take the risks of playing the lottery and a prolonged painful years of misery but after that process is over, you end up with a rising contender, not a rising middle of the pack team again.

Look at the Canucks. They draft Pettersson and Hugues but then trade for JT Miller and also Toffoli at the deadline. This thought that when you have two good pieces you are set is flawed. Same flaw we had with Price, Subban, Patch and kept vets thinking we can fill the missing Center hole with trades.

If we are going to go to the bottom, stay there for a few years. Not 1 or 2 years.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
OK sure. Never happened and I did say historic moves in several posts. You don't like the idea. I do and I don't think it's insane. It's a move that would be historic and it's a way for us to move on from our vets with term, get value in return, and start the rebuild properly

I did articulate how that massive retention would play out. Not going to repeat myself. Mark it down as a disagreement cause there is no additional context to provide at this point.
We rarely rarely agree on anything but this time we are both on the same boat!

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We rarely rarely agree on anything but this time we are both on the same boat!

It must be accurate if we are agreeing! :nod:

No doubt about it. It would be historic to retain that much over that span on 3 guys but that's the type of tough decisions that need to be made if we are going to rebuild the right way. Keeping them around when they want to win while we are rebuilding is a distraction and negative energy. Avoid it

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Last year Dom Dom was hurting Romanov, until he wasn’t this year.

Caufield is only here due to injures, otherwise he’d still be in Laval - he’s simply not NHL ready

He's nhl ready.
The confidence just isn't there right now.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
If we retain 50% on Price and he ends up on LTIR in 3 years with his new team do we get the same LTIR benefits? Or do we still have to count his 50% on the cap?

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
what we'd want: Holtz

what you'd give up: 2nd + B prospect or top 10 protected

what will happen: No trade. He's not on the market.

I hate when people say that. The reality is that he's worth more to us then other are willing to pay. We are not actively shopping him, yes, but he's not untouchable.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
What's the ask?

Right now, it's up to you to make an offer that keeps us at the negotiating table. He's not the problem on the team so if we move him it will be because it will improve the team. Lateral move wont cut it.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
People talk full rebuild, yet w NYR Gorton did not force Lundqvist into trading him, and he extended Kreider vs dealing him for futures…
Im hard believer that as a team, you are at 2 players to be at the top of the standings and you are at 2 players injured to be at the bottom. This is salary cap league. 32 ferarris are competitionning. There is only few lada and geo metro. One of the reason bottom feeder can win against top team. Guy boucher said that im thinking the same.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Is Josh Anderson available? New Jersey needs a power forward like him.

It's going to depend on what Gorton and the new Management team think of him AND what timeline they see for turning things around. My hunch is that Anderson will not be traded because the contract is fine and I he will be a good player to be building a new core with.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I don't hate Girard but I would go after Newhook. But I understand salary out has to be a factor with the Avs. Personally, If I trade Price (with or without retention), my goal is to add futures and play guys that we already have.

By the time we rebuild properly, Girard is 28 and needs a new contract. Would you consider him a rebuild core piece you retain?

I would take Yzerman's approach. Add guys like Staal and Leddy during rebuild years. But he did trade Mantha for Vrana who is 2 years older than Girard.

Throw in Chiarot at 50% retained and get both Girard and Newhook. :naughty:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Throw in Chiarot at 50% retained and get both Girard and Newhook. :naughty:

I wonder what teams offer us cause I know they will be calling. Usually, they circle around like vultures looking to buy for low but when you have a guy that is in demand, that's when the price return grows. I suspect they would be interested in Price with retention but I hope the Oilers are as well and other teams! That's when we get into a bit of a bidding war. No doubt in my mind that Price at 50% draws a lot of interest. Chiarot will be targeted at the deadline by several teams for sure.

Very interesting year we have ahead of us.
* New GM
* New Head Scout
* Do we sell at the deadline and if we do, how much do we sell?
* What pick do we have at the draft and do we gain more picks?
* What direction do we take in the offseason?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is Josh Anderson available? New Jersey needs a power forward like him.

Almost anybody would be available but some more than others. Anderson's contract for a power forward who can skate and shoot the puck will age well. Some Habs fans don't agree but Anderson is a rare piece to acquire. With me, Anderson is only available if we are offered something we can't refuse. But guys like Toffoli and Hoffman can be acquired for fair prices if we can meet in the middle. Just an example of 3 guys and how the value might be different in terms of what we would take to let them go. If Anderson is actually available, you will have to join a list of teams and outbid them.

However, Gorton needs to actually come to Montreal to review the direction of the team while he searches for a GM and new Head scout. Gorton will answer the phone but I believe he is in no hurry to make any moves just yet.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Im hard believer that as a team, you are at 2 players to be at the top of the standings and you are at 2 players injured to be at the bottom. This is salary cap league. 32 ferarris are competitionning. There is only few lada and geo metro. One of the reason bottom feeder can win against top team. Guy boucher said that im thinking the same.
I look at Gorton’s record and what stands out to me w NYR was his ability to acquire two top-2 Cs - which is this orgs weakness.

I don’t believe what is called for here is a total strip & rebuild - there are a lot of pieces in their prime. What needs to be done is convert Chiarot, Toffoli, Armia into 3-4 younger, faster NHL ready pieces that can start contributing this year.

Reactions: Hins77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad