Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
RHD is our biggest strength aside from goaltending right now, we don't need Trouba especially for the price/assets it'd cost.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Good point about the 8 skaters option, given that there is a significant drop-off in talent on the final slots.

Sure, trade him in the off season, however, every other team will have Beaulieus and Pateryns on the block at that time -- which should make for a very soft market for sellers.

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Danault
Weber
Beaulieu
Petry
**d acquired
Price

I'd be fine with protecting those players. Others are either UFA's that don't require being protected or players you could part with and be ok with it. Plekanec is the only forward you'd be worried about replacing and could protect him instead of Danault if you wanted.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Don't think Trouba wants to play in Canada. Plus he's a RHD, I wouldn't trade assets, let alone the assets required to land Trouba for another RHD.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I'm glad therrien agrees with me Beaulieu is not a top pairing defenseman. I think it's a sign we looking for a top pairing dman.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Who wants a defense-only third/ fourth liner? I doubt there is a market for De La Rose. The others carry some value. Agreed with making Juulsen the last available on your list, although his concussion history is a red flag.

I'm sure there would be takers for DLR, just not many. Most probably in a package deal that sees us taking back someone similar. So in the end, might as well keep him. Though my list is more who I'd give first from the 4 mentioned in the post I initially quoted.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So, who's available in terms of playmaking centers ?

Nugent-Hopkins ? Can't see the Oilers giving him away for anything less than a stellar return. He'd kill it with Pacioretty, the guy is a really underrated player.

Ribeiro ? He's complete trash, would not even take him for free. Would rather have Desharnais actually.

Who else ? Can't see the Sharks not resigning Thornton.

We'll have 10M$ in equivalent cap space at the deadline so a center + top 4 isn't outside the realm of possibilities at all.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Should we go after him and what would it cost? He would be a definite upgrade over Beaulieu. What about him and Hudon for Trouba?

You should research players before you propose trades.
-Trouba only wants to play RD and is rumoured to be looking only south of the border.
Absolutely No trade fit with Montreal.

I like the Beaulieu for JVR option if we use Lehkonen to get Fowler

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
-Trouba only wants to play RD and is rumoured to be looking only south of the border.

JVR would be a great option if we had a playmaker a la RNH. Can't see him succeeding with goal scoring centers though Galchy can pretty much dish and shoot.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

I don't think Lehkonen can be the main piece in any deal for Fowler. Maybe in a year his value will increase if he proves himself this year, but right now he's an undersized unproven young player without a ton of value.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
JVR would be a great option if we had a playmaker a la RNH. Can't see him succeeding with goal scoring centers though Galchy can pretty much dish and shoot.
Would be a good winger for Plekanec.

I don't think Lehkonen can be the main piece in any deal for Fowler. Maybe in a year his value will increase if he proves himself this year, but right now he's an undersized unproven young player without a ton of value.
Considering Anaheims cap issues and needs, Lehkonen+Juulsen/Sherbak/McCarron+2nd, might do it

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Danault
Weber
Beaulieu
Petry
**d acquired
Price

I'd be fine with protecting those players. Others are either UFA's that don't require being protected or players you could part with and be ok with it. Plekanec is the only forward you'd be worried about replacing and could protect him instead of Danault if you wanted.

I see your point re Beaulieu as the third D protected, leaving Emelin exposed. Emelin not likely to get picked as his salary and as a 4th D type. I wouldn't worry about Plekanec either, again not someone who'll get a lot of attention at his salary point.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
funny, last year MB said "easier to trade when you are winning"

well we are winning, lol

To be fair its harder to make trades at the beginning of the year since every team still has a shot at winning. Once we get deeper in the season and the standings really starts to take form then the trade market will start to get active.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
To be fair its harder to make trades at the beginning of the year since every team still has a shot at winning. Once we get deeper in the season and the standings really starts to take form then the trade market will start to get active.

My guess is we will acquire a defenseman later this year and we will try from within for top 9 players.

We need a top 4 badly.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
funny, last year MB said "easier to trade when you are winning"

well we are winning, lol

Whenever we win, Bergevin has it relatively easy. That's what you expect anyways. I'd still like to see some journalists challenging him and Therrien a little more.

But when we face a little bit of adversity, he becomes so full of **** it's unbelievable. I remember that meaningless quote to justify his failures last year. :shakehead

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Whenever we win, Bergevin has it relatively easy. That's what you expect anyways. I'd still like to see some journalists challenging him and Therrien a little more.

But when we face a little bit of adversity, he becomes so full of **** it's unbelievable. I remember that meaningless quote to justify his failures last year. :shakehead

To be fair why would he bother giving meaningless quotes to the media? The media in Montreal sucks so he's just messing with them. I see no problem with it.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Barberio has to clear waivers on the way back to the NHL right? If Barberio gets picked up that leaves the Habs thin with depth D man. Looks like Redmond is still about a month away

Maybe a trade is in the works.

There is no longer recall waivers. Those were eliminated in the 2013 CBA.

Only waivers on the way down, not on the way up.

The reason we haven't seen the callup yet is because the way the cap works. We save cap space by waiting until 5:01pm tomorrow to do the callup.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Rene Bourque cleared waivers a few years ago. Nobody claimed him. Not long after, he got traded to Anaheim for Bryan Allen. His value was very low, but he had value nonetheless even if he cleared waivers previously.

Andrighetto clearing waivers doesn't tell me he won't be part of a trade. Teams would rather trade for a player because that means they remove a cap hit to take on the new one. If they claim the player on waivers, they simply add a cap hit without making room for it. Let's not also forget the 50 contract limit. That can also play a role in a player not getting claimed.

Also if they claim a player on waivers, he must be on their NHL roster (or waived again before they can send to AHL, and habs as the original team could claim and send to AHL).

By trading a player after he's cleared waivers, the new team can assign him to the AHL. And they get the benefit of the 30-day/10-game rule we've talked about a few times.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Good point about the 8 skaters option, given that there is a significant drop-off in talent on the final slots.

Sure, trade him in the off season, however, every other team will have Beaulieus and Pateryns on the block at that time -- which should make for a very soft market for sellers.

You get 7 fwds and 3 D
or
8 skaters.

8 skaters only helps you if you want to protect a 4th D... yout get 7 forwards already with 3d... the only way to get an 8th forward is to protect no D whatsoever (which clearly won't happen).

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
So, who's available in terms of playmaking centers ?

Nugent-Hopkins ? Can't see the Oilers giving him away for anything less than a stellar return. He'd kill it with Pacioretty, the guy is a really underrated player.

Ribeiro ? He's complete trash, would not even take him for free. Would rather have Desharnais actually.

Who else ? Can't see the Sharks not resigning Thornton.

We'll have 10M$ in equivalent cap space at the deadline so a center + top 4 isn't outside the realm of possibilities at all.

We aren't going to have 10M in available space at the deadline. That number is based on us running from now til then with no players added to the roster. Since we have 12 fwds, 6 d and 2g on the active roster, its likely we eat some of that space with callups tomorrow. I'm betting one forward (likely Carr, but a small chance its Hudon) and one defenceman (probably Barberio, but could be Hanley or Samuelsson).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You get 7 fwds and 3 D
or
8 skaters.

8 skaters only helps you if you want to protect a 4th D... yout get 7 forwards already with 3d... the only way to get an 8th forward is to protect no D whatsoever (which clearly won't happen).

Assuming they go with a 7 fwds option, safe to say the third protected D will be Beaulieu? Or not?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Assuming they go with a 7 fwds option, safe to say the third protected D will be Beaulieu? Or not?

If it was held right now, it'd be Beaulieu.

Could Emelin or Pateryn pass him on the depth chart before June? Not likely, but not impossible either.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If it was held right now, it'd be Beaulieu.

Could Emelin or Pateryn pass him on the depth chart before June? Not likely, but not impossible either.

Interesting. Esp. Pateryn, his game looks more solid than Beaulieu but he doesn't have Beaulieu's tools or ceiling. Difference in age also a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad