Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Off-season Editon

Would you take a gamble on Nail Yakupov for leauge minium contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Want to add that if we are looking at Hanifin then good for MB for looking at the right kind of D man, and I would say the right player to target.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I won't go in circles. I am reluctant to give up the pick, and I sure would not add either of those players. I would offer up Gallagher for Hanifin.

What about that other offer you had proposed, involving Hanifin, the 2nd OA and Gallagher and the 3OA? Or was it a variation of this?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Want to add that if we are looking at Hanifin then good for MB for looking at the right kind of D man, and I would say the right player to target.

Yes, however Hanifin commands a very high price -- why not try and make a wider deal that includes him? And I absolutely am not inferring there is a bargain to be had, but if the 3OA is involved, I'd want to try and find out what it would cost to acquire both Hanifin and the 2OA. And whether using Gallagher and the 3OA is a good place to start, in order to negotiate a deal that both sides ultimately like.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What about that other offer you had proposed, involving Hanifin, the 2nd OA and Gallagher and the 3OA? Or was it a variation of this?

Based on everything we've heard, the chances of the Canes giving up the 2OA is close to zero. Waddell said it would need to be a "Wow, they'd really do that" type of offer and nothing has come close to that. Plus, based on everything we've heard, read and seen, they are sold on Svechnikov. I will be downright shocked if he's not a Hurricane next year. They just released his draft profile on their website.

Draft Profile: Andrei Svechnikov

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Are the Habs really looking at Hanifin? Who knows.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Based on everything we've heard, the chances of the Canes giving up the 2OA is close to zero. Waddell said it would need to be a "Wow, they'd really do that" type of offer and nothing has come close to that. Plus, based on everything we've heard, read and seen, they are sold on Svechnikov. I will be downright shocked if he's not a Hurricane next year.

I know what Waddell said, I've been reading the Canes site extensively. I think any GM in his position would say the same. However, there is a price for everything and it's not as if Waddell said that there was absolutely no chance in hell that he wouldn't consider an offer on the pick.

Posturing is for the fan base, negotiations are private for a reason. It's up to an opposing GM to put an offer on the table that sways Waddell. There is always a breaking point -- question is, will someone be willing to pay it. I'll submit that the team that has the next highest pick after the Canes, is in a great position to put together a package since Zadina has appeal for the Canes, even if he's not Svechnikov. And that 3OA helps offset some of the impact from trading down.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Variation. I would still go with the mega trade. Not sure what Lindholms upside is but I think he would be our best centre and a good 2C. Fact he wins 55% of his face offs is really nice.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I know, believe me, I do not do so lightly and realize what he brings. We need a top pair PMD and centres.

I'm just not sure you're going to ever get fair value in a Gallagher trade. He's got an amazing contract, his underlying numbers and impacts have been among the best in the league for years. He finally started scoring a ton despite not getting a ton of ice-time or great teammates on an already anemic offense. But he's undersized and isn't considered that great by the league as a whole.

He's Montreal's most important forward.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Variation. I would still go with the mega trade. Not sure what Lindholms upside is but I think he would be our best centre and a good 2C. Fact he wins 55% of his face offs is really nice.

Well, Lindholm won't just be a throw-in. I understand the Canes need scoring and the Habs's scoring is on the wings. I believe they're looking for cost controlled offensive forward or players on sweet deals. They're a budget team as I understand it, so they'll place a premium on built-in contract savings.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
If CBJ didn't trade the 2nd pick that was Ryan Murray I don't see any team trading their 2nd overall pick.

Everyone can speculate but in the end I bet the draft goes BUF/CAR/MTL and no one moves.

In todays NHL those picks are just to valuable. You get an AM or Laine and you can turn your franchise around.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
All this Hanifan talk is fine and dandy but without 2 legit centres it won’t matter at all
We won’t be able to score just like last year
We’re built so pathetically down the middle that centre should be the first priority
Nothing else

Reactions: No More Subban

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Are the Habs really looking at Hanifin? Who knows.

Oh I'm just going by that rumour/ report I saw here that the Nucks and Habs have called the Canes about Hanifin. Have not seen anything else.

And yes, in reply to your other posts I would still offer the Canes Chucky, Gallagher and 3OA for Lindholm, Hanifin and 2nd OA.

Reactions: Runner77

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'm just not sure you're going to ever get fair value in a Gallagher trade. He's got an amazing contract, his underlying numbers and impacts have been among the best in the league for years. He finally started scoring a ton despite not getting a ton of ice-time or great teammates on an already anemic offense. But he's undersized and isn't considered that great by the league as a whole.

He's Montreal's most important forward.

Undersized sure, but I have read many posters from other teams comment on him and in very positive terms. They hate him against their team.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Do you think Seth Jones was meeting expectations as 4th overall when he was traded?

Not relevant. It wasn't an NHLer for a prospect / pick trade. it was a straight-up 'hockey trade', as they call it, NHL player for NHL player.

If the Habs were going to make a trade like the Jones one, it would be Galchenyuk for Hanifin, where both teams know what they're getting. There's a lot less potential involved.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
TSN radio Vancouver said at least two teams have called Don Waddell about Noah Hanifin. Canucks and the Canadiens are speculative top teams in the running. They said the Canucks 7th overall pick is on the table. The Canes are rumoured to have asked for Montreal’s 3rd overall pick and Charles Hudon or Nikita Scherbak in the deal.

The mentioned Canadiens could use Ryan O’Reilly of Buffalo and Buffalo is looking to add young cheap wingers.

Maybe there might be a fit with Buffalo and Montreal as we have Scherbak Hudon Galchenyuk Lehkonen Drouin Gallagher and a million other wingers.

Do you know which segment ?

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Yes in the Canes' thread I asked them why Hanifin is on the market. One poster said management may fear he turns into a Jack Johnson type dman, as opposed to say a Hedman, so they should maximize their return now.

Many thought it would come together for Beaulieu, especially after his first training camp.

I'd have to watch more of Hanifin to form my own opinion.

Just to clarify, I said that if he is obtainable, and not just "available," then a bearish outlook may be a possible motivation in moving him. I didn't mean to imply that's what's at play here. I have no inside sources and nothing has been reported to suggest that is what is happening. I was just laying out different potential scenarios; teams only move players for a handful of reasons.

I'd put my money on Hanifin not getting moved, unless his contract negotiations become problematic. A 1-for-1 or so hockey trade might make sense, but I don't see much out there. O'Reilly is interesting, but does Carolina actually see itself as having a chance to compete in the short-term to make it worthwhile?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Just to clarify, I said that if he is obtainable, and not just "available," then a bearish outlook may be a possible motivation in moving him. I didn't mean to imply that's what's at play here. I have no inside sources and nothing has been reported to suggest that is what is happening. I was just laying out different potential scenarios; teams only move players for a handful of reasons.

I'd put my money on Hanifin not getting moved, unless his contract negotiations become problematic. A 1-for-1 or so hockey trade might make sense, but I don't see much out there. O'Reilly is interesting, but does Carolina actually see itself as having a chance to compete in the short-term to make it worthwhile?

My read is the Canes owner wants his team in the play offs right now. My personal guess is that's a reason why Francis was fired, he did nothing at the TDL to get them in.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I was going to ask that same question. I'm interested in who said it and how that was phrased.

It seems people post rumours here alot with the source and so many don't question it and just start throwing stuff out and talking about it like it's true. No point if it's not legitimate.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Molson in the Habs end of year PC said he wants the Habs to get younger and faster. So far since the Habs season ended I've seen rumors of the Habs being interested in Bjugstad, Lucic, and Jack Johnson which isn't younger and faster to me.

You missed the most important one, Character! It was youth, speed and Character.

They seem like Character players to me.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
So lets say this was the best offer for Patch. You keep him instead? Then trade him for a late 1st and B prospect at the next deadline? A some point you weigh the offer out and the 15th pick is a big deal. We will not get this at next year's deadline.

But yes, I understand what you are saying. However, if you don't get what you want, you can't force the other team to give us what we want. Circumstance needs to work in our favor for us to maximize on Patch trade value. It might not so we should be prepared. Bjug+1rd is not what most of us want but it might be the best we can get.

None of us know what the best offer is. Heck, Galchenyuk was on a the trade block last year and might still be. We were not able to get a good offer so we kept him.
Remember when the habs took Beaulieu 18th and Leblanc at 18?

You really think a mid 1st is worth a multiple 30 goal scoring winger with a 200ft game?

Man I wish habs would of just traded that Leblanc pick for a guy like Zach Parise since mid first rounds are as good as one could expect for a top goal scorer in the NHL

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I know what Waddell said, I've been reading the Canes site extensively. I think any GM in his position would say the same. However, there is a price for everything and it's not as if Waddell said that there was absolutely no chance in hell that he wouldn't consider an offer on the pick.

Posturing is for the fan base, negotiations are private for a reason. It's up to an opposing GM to put an offer on the table that sways Waddell. There is always a breaking point -- question is, will someone be willing to pay it. I'll submit that the team that has the next highest pick after the Canes, is in a great position to put together a package since Zadina has appeal for the Canes, even if he's not Svechnikov. And that 3OA helps offset some of the impact from trading down.

Yeah, fair enough. You can neve so there's a chance they could move it, even if I think it's close to zero, it's not zero. I still think they view Svechnikov as a significantly better prospect than Zadina/Tkachuk so the offer would need to be way more than "fair" to sway him. It would probably be to the point where I don't think a team would make an offer to accomplish that, but you are right, the Habs would have the best ability to try to do that.

The fact that they held a meet and greet with Svechnikov and long time season tix holders is pretty telling to me. Like I said, I'll be blown away if they don't pick Svech, but you never know until the pick occurs.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My read is the Canes owner wants his team in the play offs right now. My personal guess is that's a reason why Francis was fired, he did nothing at the TDL to get them in.

Yeah, a lot of Canes fans suspected the same thing, but as time went on, we kind of felt that maybe asn't the case. Dundon came right out and said that he agreed that they should not do anything at the TDL, because his view was that the team wasn't good enough to waste assets. Later we found out that Bill Peters had lost the team (this came directly from John Forslund) so it sounds like there were some interesting dynamics going on. The general consensus is that Francis wanted to have autonomy over hockey decisions like a more "traditional" GM role and Dundon wanted a collaborative approach in which he would also have a say. Francis was also like a vault in terms of sharing information which I'm sure irked Dundon to no end. It was basically and oil and water situation and the guy with the higher title won.

That said, he certainly wants to make the playoffs asap, but he also said not at the expense of long term. Said he would not be spending money on high priced free agents until the team shows it is competitive and he wants a team that will be a playoff team year in and year out. Also said he wants to change the culture. I expect them to make some moves. Skinner is very likely to be moved. There's varying degrees of probabilities on the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia