Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Off-season Editon

Would you take a gamble on Nail Yakupov for leauge minium contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Would you do it if you were Carolina?

If not, it's probably not a reasonable offer.

Problem is I don't know enough about who they value or not.

I know what I'd put in play from the Habs' perspective: Gallagher, 3OA, Poehling, 38th and one of our prospect goalies. A combo from any of these.

I'd be looking for their 2OA and Hanifin.

How do you see it?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Kovalchuk will talk with Bruins, GM says
BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins plan to speak to the agents for Ilya Kovalchuk, general manager Don Sweeney said Wednesday.
"We're going to just talk to his camp," said Sweeney, who said Kovalchuk was likely to be at the meeting but didn't say when it would take place. "He's got things that he's looking for and we'll see where it goes."

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Problem is I don't know enough about who they value or not.

I know what I'd put in play from the Habs' perspective: Gallagher, 3OA, Poehling, 38th and one of our prospect goalies. A combo from any of these.

I'd be looking for their 2OA and Hanifin.

How do you see it?

I don't know Hanafin or Svech or the potential 3OA prospects well enough, or even Poehling.

But which group of players do you value more: the ones coming to Montreal or going to Carolina?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I really believe Shaw is a poison pill and should not be offered other than in a deal with some other team if considering taking on an even more toxic asset.

So you believe the 38th would be enough to tilt the balance, instead of Poehling?

You'd propose: Gallagher, 3OA plus 38th for Hanifin and 2OA?

I think they'd value Poehling much more instead of the 38th, FWIW.

I had looked at trades of picks in the top 10 and it looked like historically speaking the 3rdOA and a high 2nd was worth the 2ndOA. But what we are talking about here is Svechnikov for Zadina say, and I don't know if the 38th gets you there.

For sure Poehling would be of more value than the 38th, but I just can't give up our only decent centre prospect. If we had depth at centre ( or you know, 2 top 6 centres lol ) I would do 3rdOA and Poehling for a guy like Svech, but we don't.

Reactions: Yoor and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know Hanafin or Svech or the potential 3OA prospects well enough, or even Poehling.

But which group of players do you value more: the ones coming to Montreal or going to Carolina?

It all depends on how they value Poehling -- since they are a budget team and they're looking for a center -- this could be right up their alley.

I think the Habs are going to have a difficult time landing a first pairing PMD. And Svech looks like a franchise player. There is a significant price to pay for that, however, since the Habs own the 3OA and since Zadina is still of interest to the Canes, this is a deal that needs to be attempted. No one else will be in the same unique position to provide them with a pick that will still get them something they value right after Svech. Hence, putting the 3OA in play with the other 4 assets, give or take, could lead to something.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins plan to speak to the agents for Ilya Kovalchuk, general manager Don Sweeney said Wednesday.
"We're going to just talk to his camp," said Sweeney, who said Kovalchuk was likely to be at the meeting but didn't say when it would take place. "He's got things that he's looking for and we'll see where it goes."

Um. Why are you yelling ? Especially about this.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It all depends on how they value Poehling -- since they are a budget team and they're looking for a center -- this could be right up their alley.

I think the Habs are going to have a difficult time landing a first pairing PMD. And Svech looks like a franchise player. There is a significant price to pay for that, however, since the Habs own the 3OA and since Zadina is still of interest to the Canes, this is a deal that needs to be attempted. No one else will be in the same unique position to provide them with a pick that will still get them something they value right after Svech. Hence, putting the 3OA in play with the other 4 assets, give or take, could lead to something.

From what I've heard they value Svech very highly.

I would think: which group of players do I value most, and take that as what they value.

Also, what need are they filling by this trade? We have an even bigger need than they do at center, yet they're going to give up the better assets and we're going to give up the center?

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From what I've heard they value Svech very highly.

I would think: which group of players do I value most, and take that as what they value.

Also, what need are they filling by this trade? We have an even bigger need than they do at center, yet they're going to give up the better assets and we're going to give up the center?

That's just the thing, I was trying to figure out what would be a good replacement for Galchenyuk, from the initial offer yianik had come up with. Anything we do is going to hurt, as we've been saying throughout this thread.

I hate the situation the Habs are in, no quality disposable depth begets a lot of juggling and mental anguish only to go in circles.

St3voa

Jun 13, 2018
wish there was a way the habs could some how get another top 10 pick this year and get kotkaniemi and dobson or boqvist

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
There isn't a single GM in the league that passes on Svechnikov at 2
Just like no one was willing to pass on Yakupov for Galchenyuk or Forsberg... let's never forget that this isn't a perfect science and chances are high that Zadina and other players will be better than Svechnikov.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
We need to add a 1st for next year's draft, there's just too much talent at C. This year you pick Zadina at 3 and the rest you go for things you can teach like hockey IQ, talent, potential and winners with good work ethics.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Just like no one was willing to pass on Yakupov for Galchenyuk or Forsberg... let's never forget that this isn't a perfect science and chances are high that Zadina and other players will be better than Svechnikov.
Uh idk about that. There were some things that Galchenyuk did better than Yakupov, and Yakupov wasn't injured in his draft year. There isn't a single thing that Zadina does better than Svechnikov, so I don't see how you can even say that chances are high that her and other players will be better than Svechnikov.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Not sure how you came up with the idea that chances are high Zadina specifically and others will be better. Is there a chance? Sure, but it isn’t a high chance. Ignoring last couple drafts since it’s too recent, and ignoring discussion about #1 overall, sticking with #2:

2016 - nobody has outscored Laine.
2015 - wouldn’t say anyone is better than Eichel.
2014 - several players better than Reinhart.
2013 - close statistically between Barkov and Monahan.
2012 - yeah, Murray not as good as others.
2011 - Landeskog clearly one of the better picks.
2010 - nobody is close to Seguin.
2009 - Duchene has more points than Hedman, but who would everyone take?
2008 - Doughty, maybe an argument can be made, but I don’t think he is a poor #2.
2007 - think quite a few people would pick other than JVR.

I didn’t look up every player and stuck mostly with the top-10. Possible I just missed a name.

So, there is definitely a chance players will be better than the #2 pick. It has happened in this 10-year sample. However, only 3-years would I consider #2 clearly is outperformed than others. We can maybe argue 5 if you consider a couple close performers other years.

Still, I wouldn’t call 50% a high chance.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I know, shows you how thin this team is in so many areas.

Assuming we'd be proposing Gallagher and the 3OA and not Galchenyuk for Hanifin and 2OA. Who would you say would be assets that can be added to replace Galchenyuk and that might interest the Canes? And Gallagher absolutely needs to be there as a key piece in the deal.

So:

Habs trade: 3OA, Gallagher and ????

Canes trade: 2OA, Hanifin
Tough to say...I'd think Poehling would have to be included, and most likely some additional draft picks.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
By the way, does anyone know when the trade freeze officially ended/ends? I mean the trade deadline was in February. But when can trading begin again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->