Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Off-season Editon

Would you take a gamble on Nail Yakupov for leauge minium contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
My read is the Canes owner wants his team in the play offs right now. My personal guess is that's a reason why Francis was fired, he did nothing at the TDL to get them in.

I thought that initially, honestly, but Friedman speculated that it was in fact at least partially a case of management structure. Francis was thought to have been “ too secretive.”

Go to ~21:55:

May 29, 2018: What Happens In Vegas... - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman’s thesis that Dundon is trying to determine what’s on the roster by how much they’re worth is relevant here. For a total novice, that’s actually a good idea. I wish he would have phrased it differently, as when fans and likely GMs, as well, hear “all but…” is available, the first thought is that of a mythical fire sale and an opportunity to get a good asset for less than you should. That’s not what’s going on here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh I'm just going by that rumour/ report I saw here that the Nucks and Habs have called the Canes about Hanifin. Have not seen anything else.

And yes, in reply to your other posts I would still offer the Canes Chucky, Gallagher and 3OA for Lindholm, Hanifin and 2nd OA.

Yes, that was your proposed offer. I wonder if that would lead to a meaningful discussion.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
LeBrun
First and second overall are locks.
Dahlin and Svechnikov.
Hurricanes keeping the pick.
Lots of interesting could happen at 3 when the Habs pick. Could trade down for established NHL player or players.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, a lot of Canes fans suspected the same thing, but as time went on, we kind of felt that maybe asn't the case. Dundon came right out and said that he agreed that they should not do anything at the TDL, because his view was that the team wasn't good enough to waste assets. Later we found out that Bill Peters had lost the team (this came directly from John Forslund) so it sounds like there were some interesting dynamics going on. The general consensus is that Francis wanted to have autonomy over hockey decisions like a more "traditional" GM role and Dundon wanted a collaborative approach in which he would also have a say. Francis was also like a vault in terms of sharing information which I'm sure irked Dundon to no end. It was basically and oil and water situation and the guy with the higher title won.

That said, he certainly wants to make the playoffs asap, but he also said not at the expense of long term. Said he would not be spending money on high priced free agents until the team shows it is competitive and he wants a team that will be a playoff team year in and year out. Also said he wants to change the culture. I expect them to make some moves. Skinner is very likely to be moved. There's varying degrees of probabilities on the rest.

Lol. So your owner wants play offs now but not at the expense of the long term ? Probably not uncommon demand by an owner , guessing drives GMs nuts as you just have to pick a lane.

Since you have checked our board , what would you say to Galchenyuk, Gallagher and 3rd OA for Lindholm, Hanifin and 2nd OA ?

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Pierre McGuire said he’ll take Brady Tkachuk over Filip Zadina.
McGuire is one of the dumbest people in hockey he has never been a GM and was one of the worst head coaches in league history there is a reason he has not worked in the nhl in 25 years ...nobody wants him.....all those ex coaches or Gm's they are all on tv because they were terrible,,,,,Button,Maclean,Milbury.

Reactions: sampollock

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Lol. So your owner wants play offs now but not at the expense of the long term ? Probably not uncommon demand by an owner , guessing drives GMs nuts as you just have to pick a lane.

Yeah, I can see the dichotomy in that statement. I think what he means is he's willing to make trades to make the team better, even using picks/prospects, but he's not going to trade for a bunch of older vets at the expense of young players just to get into the playoffs short term. ie...they aren't looking to do something stupid just to make the playoffs. So if they move Hanifin for a similar age/potential center that could make the team better, they'd probably do it. If they can package up some of their prospects and picks (not 1st OA) for a young (ish) player, they'd probably do it. A deal for a guy like ROR might be enticing as he has a lot of legs left, etc.... So some trades to bring in young(ish) guys is reasonable.

What they won't likely do is go after guys that are UFAs in 1 year , or trade a good young guys for a 30+ something guy. In the end, unless the solve the goalie situation, it doesn't matter who else they bring in.

Since you have checked our board , what would you say to Galchenyuk, Gallagher and 3rd OA for Lindholm, Hanifin and 2nd OA ?

I think value-wise, it's a reasonable proposal. I don't think the Canes would do it though for a couple of reasons:
1) Lindholm looked pretty good at center to end last year so moving him and then moving Hanifin without getting a C back makes it risky. Maybe getting away from MTL, Galchenyuk could play C, but I'm not sure on that.
2) Canes would be giving up younger assets with longer control vs. Galchenyuk and Gallagher having 2 and 3 years left on their deals before becoming UFAs.
3) I truly think it's more than posturing that the Canes think Svech is a clear #2 in this draft. Dundon has directly said "it's not even close". I really think they have their mind made up.

Being very upfront here, I haven't watched enough of the Habs to have a good enough read on your players, so my insight to them is somewhat limited.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes, that was your proposed offer. I wonder if that would lead to a meaningful discussion.

I think they expect a lot for Hanifin and even more for the 2OA. Would you scale it down to Gallagher, Galchenyuk and the 3OA for Hanifin and the 2OA? Even then, who knows what else should be in play.

BBA -- how much interest would you say there might be for the above 3 for 2 offer or is it too far off the mark?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This team can't score goals...I don't know how comfortable I'd sending them 2 guys who can 30

I know, shows you how thin this team is in so many areas.

Assuming we'd be proposing Gallagher and the 3OA and not Galchenyuk for Hanifin and 2OA. Who would you say would be assets that can be added to replace Galchenyuk and that might interest the Canes? And Gallagher absolutely needs to be there as a key piece in the deal.

So:

Habs trade: 3OA, Gallagher and ????

Canes trade: 2OA, Hanifin

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Assuming we'd be proposing Gallagher and the 3OA and not Galchenyuk for Hanifin and 2OA. Who would you say would be assets that can be added to replace Galchenyuk and that might interest the Canes? And Gallagher absolutely needs to be there as a key piece in the deal.

So:

Poehling

Reactions: Runner77

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, I can see the dichotomy in that statement. I think what he means is he's willing to make trades to make the team better, even using picks/prospects, but he's not going to trade for a bunch of older vets at the expense of young players just to get into the playoffs short term. ie...they aren't looking to do something stupid just to make the playoffs. So if they move Hanifin for a similar age/potential center that could make the team better, they'd probably do it. If they can package up some of their prospects and picks (not 1st OA) for a young (ish) player, they'd probably do it. A deal for a guy like ROR might be enticing as he has a lot of legs left, etc.... So some trades to bring in young(ish) guys is reasonable.

What they won't likely do is go after guys that are UFAs in 1 year , or trade a good young guys for a 30+ something guy. In the end, unless the solve the goalie situation, it doesn't matter who else they bring in.

I think value-wise, it's a reasonable proposal. I don't think the Canes would do it though for a couple of reasons:
1) Lindholm looked pretty good at center to end last year so moving him and then moving Hanifin without getting a C back makes it risky. Maybe getting away from MTL, Galchenyuk could play C, but I'm not sure on that.
2) Canes would be giving up younger assets with longer control vs. Galchenyuk and Gallagher having 2 and 3 years left on their deals before becoming UFAs.
3) I truly think it's more than posturing that the Canes think Svech is a clear #2 in this draft. Dundon has directly said "it's not even close". I really think they have their mind made up.

Being very upfront here, I haven't watched enough of the Habs to have a good enough read on your players, so my insight to them is somewhat limited.

Fair enough. I thought Canes might be interested in Gallagher because he can score but despite his size is very tough to play against, which is something I read the Canes want. As for Galchenyuk, I , like many Habs think he can play centre, but no that is not a certainty. However, he scores goals a lot better than Lindholm, so I thought the interest could be there.

So no to the big proposal. Any interest in say Gallagher for Hanifin ? Galchenyuk for Lindholm ? Or all 4 players, with a tweak here or so, but leaving out the 1sts ?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
LeBrun
Dahlin and Svechnikov.
Lots of interesting could happen at 3 when the Habs pick. Could trade down for established NHL player or players.

there goona f this up...lol

i can hear it ...

Bettman:we got a TRADE TO ANNOUNCE

Habs fans: run and hide under the bed..with hands over ears

Bettman: Montreal trade the 3rd over to ..................

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
McGuire is one of the dumbest people in hockey he has never been a GM and was one of the worst head coaches in league history there is a reason he has not worked in the nhl in 25 years ...nobody wants him.....all those ex coaches or Gm's they are all on tv because they were terrible,,,,,Button,Maclean,Milbury.
Pierre is a bag of hot air,

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
there goona f this up...lol

i can hear it ...

Bettman:we got a TRADE TO ANNOUNCE

Habs fans: run and hide under the bed..with hands over ears

Bettman: Montreal trade the 3rd over to ..................

nah, Trevor Timmins on draft night: Le cloob da haw-key Canadien eh fier de select-tioner, the Montreal Canadiens are proud to select, from the Halifax Mooseheads...

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

So:

I agree on being more keen to pick up Hanifin than Lindholm. On the ? Side I think historically the 38th should do it, but that is in a vacuum, meaning if they really like Svech that just will not do it, and you get into unacceptable overpay. Top I would do is 38th and Shaw for their interest in being tougher to play against.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Interesting. I wonder how much the Canes would value Poehling. Who knows.

So 3OA, Gallagher and Poehling for 2OA, Hanifin. Is this a reasonable offer?

Would you do it if you were Carolina?

If not, it's probably not a reasonable offer.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
LeBrun
Dahlin and Svechnikov.

We know MB is desperate for roster ready character and he indicated as much at the TDL.
At the same time we have the rebuild through the draft rumor.
When will this team come out and do what they say like the Rangers did.
They are the ones that have a plan.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree on being more keen to pick up Hanifin than Lindholm. On the ? Side I think historically the 38th should do it, but that is in a vacuum, meaning if they really like Svech that just will not do it, and you get into unacceptable overpay. Top I would do is 38th and Shaw for their interest in being tougher to play against.

I really believe Shaw is a poison pill and should not be offered other than in a deal with some other team if considering taking on an even more toxic asset.

So you believe the 38th would be enough to tilt the balance, instead of Poehling?

You'd propose: Gallagher, 3OA plus 38th for Hanifin and 2OA?

I think they'd value Poehling much more instead of the 38th, FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad